Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules of the Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/17/07 7:30 am    Post subject: Rules of the Game Reply with quote

Minor changes in MLB have been made for the first time in over a decade, to take effect for the 2007 season.

It's not just pace of the game issues which are being addressed, but also adjustments to scoring of plays.

Even "perfect" now becomes "ordinary."

Quote:
The changes to Rule 10, governing official scoring, may have the most direct bearing on fans' perception of the coming season by affecting the game's lifeblood: statistics.

For instance, the guidewords for deciding whether to credit a batter with a sacrifice bunt have changed from him being possibly retired on a "perfect play" to "ordinary effort" by the defense.

And fans weary of hearing "defensive indifference" on stolen-base attempts will be heartened to learn that the scorer must now base that call on all game circumstances, not merely on whether someone covered the base or the catcher got off a throw.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 3/14/19 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 5/11/12 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five years since I've posted about a rule change, but MLB is now considering disallowing the "fake" throw to third? Here's the article on this subject from MLB.com.

From the above-linked:

Quote:
Some members of [Commissioner Bud Selig's select committee overseeing on-field changes in the sport] believe it's a difficult play for umpires to call and is a waste of time, placing its elimination into the category of trying to speed up the game. The committee includes current managers Scioscia, and Jim Leyland of the Tigers, plus retired managers Joe Torre and Tony La Russa. Torre is MLB's executive vice president of baseball operations and La Russa recently joined the Commissioner's office.

The play is addressed in the Official Baseball Rules under Rule 8.05 (c), which states: "It is possible, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal."

On pickoffs when a runner is on first base, the pitcher must step off the rubber before faking a throw. If he fakes while on the rubber, it is considered a balk.

Seriously--I get trying to "speed up" the game for the ADD-type viewers, but if they're going to do this, let them implement the change with the American League, which already doesn't play "real baseball." That's the league with lengthier games, so just leave the NL out of it, please.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Fri 5/11/12 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Five years since I've posted about a rule change, but MLB is now considering disallowing the "fake" throw to third? Here's the article on this subject from MLB.com.

From the above-linked:

Quote:
Some members of [Commissioner Bud Selig's select committee overseeing on-field changes in the sport] believe it's a difficult play for umpires to call and is a waste of time, placing its elimination into the category of trying to speed up the game. The committee includes current managers Scioscia, and Jim Leyland of the Tigers, plus retired managers Joe Torre and Tony La Russa. Torre is MLB's executive vice president of baseball operations and La Russa recently joined the Commissioner's office.

The play is addressed in the Official Baseball Rules under Rule 8.05 (c), which states: "It is possible, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. This is legal."

On pickoffs when a runner is on first base, the pitcher must step off the rubber before faking a throw. If he fakes while on the rubber, it is considered a balk.

Seriously--I get trying to "speed up" the game for the ADD-type viewers, but if they're going to do this, let them implement the change with the American League, which already doesn't play "real baseball." That's the league with lengthier games, so just leave the NL out of it, please.

Wow just wow, with comments like that you wonder why I don't post here very often, likely won't again, since as you put it, the AL doesn't play real baseball.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/11/12 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - I would not take that too seriously Goofy. A lot of us in the N.L. feel that way, but when we had a few more A.L. members a couple of years ago it seems you were not anywhere to be found. So with nobody posting from the A.L. we probably feel freer to be open about it. I know I was less likely to speak out, myself when I first joined. You are free to disagree of course! Very Happy

I also know that we all tried to keep tabs on your Mariners the last couple of years when you were not around anywhere. I know Sunnyblue and I both like a lot of players from your team and even if we disagree about the DH or real baseball and the strategy, it would still be good to have you here. You are welcome anytime. I have always liked your team even though I sort of follow the Angels too, and that is mostly because the Ms and us share a complex for ST. In fact I posted to you the last couple of years asking if you would like to meet for a game there - I thought maybe you would be going since you are such a diehard fan of them. I really admire your devotion to the team. In any event we all do watch some AL baseball and enjoy it even if we disagree with the rules. Who does not love Ichiro anyway - even if they are not a fan of the team.

In response to the rule change mentioned here I too disagree with it. I think the more they try to water down the rules the worse it is and takes even more strategy away.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 5/12/12 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I am a Dodgers fan GoofyMsFan I am really looking forward to the Mariners game in July Smile Having been away from baseball for a number of years I am happy to see AL and NL teams play and visit various stadiums.

We all want you to continue with this group and enjoy hearing your perspective on things.

I am not in agreement with the rule change either.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 1/16/13 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there are more proposals.

According to MLB.com:

Quote:
A series of rules changes proposed by the general managers in November and approved by the sport's top executives at the recent Owners Meetings are awaiting ratification by the Major League Baseball Players Association.

There are more than a dozen alterations and amendments on the table. Among them is the fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff move, which would be ruled a balk, and the allowance of an interpreter to accompany a pitching coach or manager to the mound and assist in communicating with pitchers who don't speak fluent English.

Clubs would also be permitted to have a seventh coach in uniform and in the dugout during games, a response to the number of teams that have added a second hitting coach in recent years.

The above details are taken from this article.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jpochard

PostPosted: Thu 1/17/13 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's kind of silly to change the 3rd - 1st throw to make it a balk. It never works anyway, but I don't see any harm in just leaving it as it is and letting the teams decide if they want to use it.

I'm more of the type to avoid a "rule" unless there is a real purpose to having it, which I don't see here.

The other changes I don't really have a problem with. I don't think they affect the actual game.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/17/13 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. It's like, what's the point? Some of this tampering doesn't really seem to have enough of a purpose to implement.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/27/13 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow-up to the balk rule, from the Union-Tribune.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/20/17 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if pace of game issues aren't enough, MLBPA chief Tony Clark discusses the latest round of rule changes.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/20/18 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we know it's only minor league ball, but the uproar by fans over the last few days about this should not be surprising.

How are you supposed to prepare these young pitchers for working out of jams if the opposing team already has an advantage?

It defies logic, really.
Rolling Eyes

Question

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/23/18 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate it, of course. I understand they are trying to save arms at lower levels but I think this goes too far.

I also wanted to post Nick Canepa's column from the U-T, a couple of weeks ago - linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/14/19 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, boy--look what's coming next. We have so many threads about different components of the evolution of the game, but I just read back and realized I started this one before the 2007 season--12 years ago! Surprised

We have already addressed pace of play and "the shift" in other threads; now we're looking at the following rule changes coming up, many of which will affect how the game is managed, three-batter minimum and mound visits, in particular. I'm not as concerned with the IL, ASG or trade deadline.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 3/15/19 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you don't mind them eliminating September call ups? That bothers me.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/18/19 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To read about some of the reaction from my Padres about the changes - linked here

Personally while I do not really care about All Star game voting I think it makes more sense to have the "election" on 1 day only.

I like to read that Craig Stammen is more of a traditionalist and questions rule changes that affect strategy.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/19/19 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is ridiculous and I certainly hope Rob Manfred is not listening to Jints pitcher Jeff Samardzija. According to this analysis from CBSSports.com, Samardzija is in favor of ties (yes, tie score finals) in MLB. Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: