Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ohhhhhhh-tani!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/27/17 10:42 am    Post subject: Ohhhhhhh-tani! Reply with quote

The hype has been building since early this year.

We missed seeing him play in the WBC last spring, but that didn't stop the buzz in the U.S. about Shohei Ohtani. He's been called "the most interesting man in baseball" by Sports on Earth, and all I've seen of him on the field, limited though it may have been, indicates that he is.

I'm starting this thread separately from the Hot Stove thread because of the type of player this 23 year old from Japan is, and the attention he is commanding on the MLB market. He's been called the "Babe Ruth" of Japan. Very few players have been as exciting as two-way players, and the stakes are going to be high. Imagine having someone with so much all-around talent!

Let the bidding begin!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 11/27/17 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 11/27/17 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get him, Dodgers. This is a great fit!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 11/29/17 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Dodgers have a good shot. I have also heard the Mariners are one of the top teams making a great pitch for him. There are the Twins and Rangers too, but I think he would be a better fit on the West coast. (But not in S.F. Lol)

The thing I am not clear on is why go to an AL team if he could add a big bat to the lineup when he's pitching, and could stay in the NL, and play the outfield when needed too? Seems with pinch hitting and all the different ways you could use him in the NL he should sign with an NL team. It would be fun to see how many different ways they could use him, except as a Padre fan I would not want to see him doing all those things for another team we would have to play a lot.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/30/17 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems MLB is ironing out all the details and then the bidding wars can begin. I love his down-to-earth attitude about connecting with the fans, as described in this article from MLB.com.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 12/4/17 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the start of (so-called) winter meetings today, there have been reports over the weekend about Ohtani's desire to play for a small market team on the West Coast. Question If so, Cathy's team in is a serious contender. At the same time, I've heard that all three of the Dodgers, Jints and Angels are all in the running, which would indicate otherwise.

Stay tuned as the bidding battles get underway!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 12/4/17 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everywhere you go, it's a different story. When we were in OC this weekend, Angels fans were saying anywhere but Seattle. Dodger fans are saying anywhere but S.F. Seems like it's a good guessing game to keep everyone interested.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 12/5/17 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exciting to follow when your team is in the running and the Yankees are not! I am quite intrigued by how this kid ticks.

4 reasons the Padres could get him - article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 12/6/17 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where the Padres are the last team to "make their pitch", so to speak.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 12/8/17 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Acee's take on it - linked here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 12/8/17 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I never saw this coming!

Shohei Ohtani has signed with the Angels...details to be posted in "Hot Stove" thread.

So much for speculation.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 12/13/17 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot of hysteria from fans over the last couple of days about Ohtani's health background and in particular a UCL tear. I was really busy today but want to check into this more.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/14/17 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was a lot of panic on the part of Angels fans a couple of days ago. All teams knew about this before bidding opened, though. It's minor.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: