Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wild Card 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/7/18 4:47 pm    Post subject: Wild Card 2018 Reply with quote

How about those wild card races? I know Linda usually starts a thread about this every year but I thought I would jump start the comments myself.

Yankees vs. As has been a good series this week.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/12/18 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting this going, Cath. I really should have been posting about it all along! I'll get back to it soon, I promise. The races are really intensifying!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/13/18 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 17 days left in the regular season, the wild card races shape up this way:

In the National League...

-The Cubs are leading the Central, but the Brewers trail by 1.5 games;

-The Rockies are leading the West, but the Dodgers trail by 1.5 games;

-The two third-place teams, the Cardinals and Diamondbacks, are both 4.5 games out, but St. Louis holds the edge in the wild card race with a better record than Arizona.

-The Phillies have virtually faded from having any playoff aspirations, so the wild card winners will both come out of the West and/or Central divisions.

In the American League...

-The Red Sox and Indians are on the verge of clinching their respective divisions, East and Central, with the only real division race in the West, where the "A"s trail the Astros by 3.5 games.

-The Yankees lead the AL wild card, with Athletics trailing by 1.5 games. Barring an unforeseen miracle, these two teams will most likely face each other in the one-game playoff.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/14/18 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it goes without saying, most fans west of the East Coast are going to pull for Oakland in the AL!

As far as the NL goes, not sure how anyone else here feels but if it comes down to the Rockies and Diamondbacks, I would rather see the Rockies get in.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/15/18 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers have tied the Cardinals for the second wild card! Of course, they still have two more games to play against them this weekend, but it was an especially good night for L.A. since the Rockies lost and they now trail Colorado by only 1/2 game--with the Rox visiting Chavez Ravine this week. Thanks, Battery Chuckers! You're good for something!

Twisted Evil

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 9/22/18 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we should note now that the Rockies are now battling the Cardinals for the wild card.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/24/18 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yankees have clinched the first wild card in the American League. Oakland will play in Seattle this week with a magic number of 1 to clinch the second wild card. Also the Brewers and Cardinals are playing each other this week in St. Louis.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/1/18 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are a few days later, and the wild card itself is irrelevant to the NL West champion Dodgers! The wild card game tomorrow features the two NL WCs, Colorado at Chicago.

The AL game will be played between the Yankees and "A"s on Wednesday, at Yankee Stadium.

Go Athletics; I have no preference between the Cubs and Rockies.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 10/11/18 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/2/18 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is what I feared, but I still have to congratulate the Rockies for winning today's wild card game on the road and advancing to the NLDS vs. the Brewers. They won, 2-1, at Wrigley Field in a 13-inning game, with our own Tony Wolters--a .170 hitter this season--coming through with the hit to drive in the go-ahead run off Kyle Hendricks! This followed a phenomenal pitching duel between the Cubs' Jon Lester and the Rockies' Kyle Freeland. Scott Oberg was credited with the win for Colorado.

And isn't that what we love about baseball? That sometimes the most unlikely of heroes are thrust from obscurity into the role of game-changers?

Still, truth be told, should the Dodgers get past the Braves, I really don't want them to see Colorado's team, or Coors Field, again this year.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 10/11/18 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/4/18 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yankees beat the "A"s soundly, 7-2, in the wild card game played in New York, and they're now on to face their long-time rivals, the Red Sox, in the playoffs. Let's face it, it probably wasn't wise for Oakland to start reliever Liam Hendriks for only one inning, which was long enough to take the loss. And while Luis Severino started the game for the Yankees, middle reliever Dillon Betances notched the win that clinched the WC.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 10/11/18 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 10/5/18 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that cute little motto "Oaktober" did not go very far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: