Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Under Blue Skies - January 26, 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/26/19 7:35 am    Post subject: Under Blue Skies - January 26, 2019 Reply with quote

And the day has finally arrived! Beautiful sunrise as I head out for Dodgers FanFest! (Sorry, Cath, we got better weather for ours.) Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/28/19 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the recap:

On this very same field…from autumn to winter.

Warm rays, cool breezes, good friends, Dodgers players and coaches, and Dodger Stadium itself. Not to mention a grilled Dodger Dog® and cold beer! Saturday, January 26 provided the opportunity for a simply sublime experience which I cherish participating in every year—Dodger Stadium’s annual Fan Fest. It comes at the perfect point of the offseason, long before pitchers and catchers report, but with three weeks having elapsed since the flip of the calendar into the new year.

Admittedly, Fan Fest of the past two years hasn’t had the same heart and soul since Vin’s retirement, but the Dodgers are still our Dodgers no matter what the cast members’ names are. And it does have the spirit of Jackie Robinson, whose 100th birthday will be celebrated by many, this coming Thursday. The Dodgers’ new museum which was recently opened on the reserved level of the stadium is dedicated to the accomplishments of several Dodger legends, the most impactful one being Robinson, so it was even more timely for fans to reflect on his career and legacy.

But on a day in which there was much joy being found down on the playing field, I figured a more lengthy museum visit could wait. The last time I was here at Dodger Stadium, that very same playing field was filled with Dodgers and Red Sox in a game that lasted 18 innings. The weather then was much like today’s, 75 degrees. In between late October and now, we’ve had cool days and much-needed rain, but on this Saturday morning, the sun burst through a cloudless sky. Mother Nature bathed our ballpark in blue, too, just as the colors of the stadium itself.

The field at Dodger Stadium is much like Disneyland as the day progresses, with great excitement and anticipation among people young and old, fans of all sizes and colors. And that’s appropriate, given the Matterhorn-style rides this team gives us every year. Sometimes the Dodgers’ ride even shuts down for repairs during peak season!

Unlike many fans, I don’t typically wait in the autograph lines, but I do love watching the children, the “little Dodgers”, as they run bases, pose for pictures warming up in the Dodgers bullpen, etc. Though the theme today is baseball, it’s also about family and about the kids who are the next generation of fans. And large families of fans I saw of all ages, one even spanning five generations.

On an interesting side note, while waiting in line to get in to the stadium, I met a Dodger fan from Korea who was on vacation and simply wanted to see Dodger Stadium. He didn’t know in advance that a Fan Fest was taking place, so I explained to him what was involved. He was happy to have arrived at this venue on the right day. As we chatted and I shared more about the event, my new friend introduced himself as “Jae.” He was young (mid-to-late 20s, I’m assuming), but peppered me with questions about Dodgers history, the team’s schedule, and the parameters of the full season. We talked a little bit about KBO baseball as well. Jae didn’t understand that spring training for Major League Baseball doesn’t take place in the team’s home ballpark. He wasn’t sure when it started, but said he would like to come back and watch it at Dodger Stadium if he could before leaving to return to Korea. I explained that training and exhibition games take place in the next state over, but there wouldn’t be any games played here at the home field until late in March. We intended to catch up again later in the day, but that didn’t work out. Over the course of the next couple of hours, though, I met up with several friends, including Sunnyblue (briefly).

It also brought a smile to my face to see former Dodger players who need introduction by no more than one name (Orel, Fernando, Nomar) as well, remembering the memories they made on this very same field.

Props to the Dodgers for keeping this annual event free for families with many fans, although charity proceeds are distributed to the Dodgers Dream Foundation from the “VIP fan experiences” or autograph sessions (none of which I’ve ever taken part in, but I appreciate those who do). I know how many people on limited budgets are grateful for this experience being open to them all every January. And I love that it’s held here, at our home away from home, rather than indoors and off-site somewhere. It’s almost enough to get a taste of what being back at the ballpark is like, almost enough even to hear Dieter on the organ, to hear the cheers of the crowd on hand. Also, nice to see KJ back at the ballpark, with many fans wearing “Kenleyfornia Love” T-shirts, and to wish him well following his recent heart surgeries.

But eventually, it came time to leave, as hard as it was for me to do. Walking down the steep incline at the end of the parking lot, I inhaled deeply as the scent of honeysuckle wafted through the air, and took note of the flitting of several butterflies back and forth. I could only be reminded that the last time I was here, on October 26—three months to the day earlier--Game 3 of the World Series was being played, and sure enough, there were “a million butterflies” in the ballpark then, to borrow a phrase from our beloved Vin.

And as I departed Chavez Ravine through the Sunset exit, it’s all I could do to call back over my shoulder silently, “Bye for now, I’ll see you in two months.”

In between then, I’ll have the Caribbean Series, the LMP finals, and three weeks from now, the start of SDSU baseball season to follow. This weekend, there are even alumni games going on at USC, UCLA, CS Fullerton, and San Diego State. Just bad scheduling that several of them had to be taking place on Fan Fest Day!

What winter blahs? The thought of a season without baseball is just too much to bear.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/28/19 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite a report. I am glad you had a super time and I am sure Sunnyblue did, too. Yes I was aware you got a "better weather" day Rolling Eyes but what can I say - I no longer complain now that our Fan Fest is back in January after all those years they had it just before the season started. At least our fields did not have snow on them right?

On Saturday we went to the commissioning of the USS Monsoor. Very touching to have Michael Monsoor's mother present. Then following that, to SDSU for the alum game. Good weekend for everyone, it seems.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 2/13/19 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a terrific day. You covered all the bases DB!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: