Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rest in Peace Robby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 2/11/19 2:30 pm    Post subject: Rest in Peace Robby Reply with quote

Hall of Fame player Frank Robinson died last week (while we were having our own tech problems here) so I guess this will be the first mention of it.

Rest in peace. He was a wonderful player in both the American League & National League.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/12/19 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting that one up, Cath. A true trailblazer, and yet another star of my childhood, gone. Sad

Hall of Famer Frank Robinson passed away in L.A. on February 7 at age 83. "Robby" was a .294 hitter over a 21-year career, won the AL Triple Crown in 1966, and was named the first black manager in Major League Baseball when he took over as skipper of the Indians in 1975. He slugged 586 home runs in his career and drove in 1812 runs.

Robinson broke in with the Reds and played in Cincinnati from 1956-65, before being traded to the Orioles, where in his first season they won the 1966 World Series (also his Triple Crown season), defeating the Dodgers Evil or Very Mad in a four-game sweep. Three more AL pennants and one more world championship followed in Baltimore. Over his two decades-plus in MLB, Robinson also played for the Indians, Angels and Dodgers (one season only, 1972). He is also the only player to have won the MVP award in both leagues.

I guess I didn't remember that his managerial debut coincided with being a player/manager, but I was reminded of it reading the MLB.com article about his passing. His 16-year career as a skipper included stints with the Jints, Orioles, and Expos/Nationals.

Outside of MLB, of note is that Robinson is among many greats to have played prep baseball at McClymonds High in Oakland, where he grew up.

Robby is survived by his wife and his daughter.

He was occasionally seen out and about enjoying a game at Dodger Stadium a few times each season. That will be missed.

Rest in peace to a mighty trailblazer.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 2/13/19 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 2/13/19 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I never got to see him play. Sad I wish Jackie Robinson had been alive to see him manage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: