Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Stove - 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/28/19 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about that, too. Quite an injury history and he really had only one good season.

My Padres are said to be pursuing Manny. I do not see that as realistic/very likely. I think it is all talk to keep fan interest up.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 2/1/19 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes...I got behind on this one again!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/1/19 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you believe all the rumors I am hearing you would think my Padres are in the running for Bryce, Manny, Realmuto, & Gio Gonzalez. I never thought we would get into February without Bryce or Manny being signed. I do know A.J. met with Bryce in Vegas. I cannot imagine we would be able to afford him but the good news I have heard for awhile now is that the payroll strategy in the last couple of years means we have cash to spend. So I just play a waiting game, not expecting much of anything. If I see Tatis Jr. in the majors soon I will be happy enough.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 2/11/19 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that talk about J. R. Realmuto he ended up with the Phillies! Catcher goes from Marlins to Philly for 3 players, catcher Jorge Alfaro, RHP Sixto Sanchez, & LHP Will Stewart.

Article from mlb.com
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 2/13/19 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Padres made an "aggressive" push for Manny! Who would think pitchers and catchers are reporting and still 3 or 4 big name FAs are not signed?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/19 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!!!!! I guess that "aggressive push" paid off because they just signed Manny for ten years! Surprised Surprised Surprised
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/19 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I was surprised when I heard that news! And I have mixed feelings about it. First I heard a lot from you Dodger ladies last year about being disappointed in him. So my preference would have been we signed Bryce instead. But it was looking more and more like they were going to get one or the other. I have to hope for the best, but I am not happy with the long term contract because those are becoming such burdens anymore. I also am still wondering he will "hustle" for us at that price. You all remember how excited I was at the beginning of the 2015 season. I will not get as excited this year until I see how things go in the first couple of months. I am more excited about when Fernando Tatis Jr. will take his first at bat as a Padre! But I am going to be a fan of anyone who plays in this brown & yellow uniform so, go Padres!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/21/19 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed. And still am about Bryce holding out for a bigger contract! Not about to wish Manny good luck either! Evil or Very Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/27/19 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Bryce sweepstakes take a different turn every day.

Earlier, it was the Jints and Phillies making the hard plays for him. This week, Dodger execs met with Scott Boras in Vegas but are still insistent they will not offer a deal the duration of which Bryce is demanding (ten years). It may still be between the Jints and Phils now. I'm wondering, though, what happens if he doesn't budge and none of the interested teams do, either.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/28/19 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay--Bryce to the Phillies. Thankfully that's over with.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/28/19 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's outrageous! At least the Battery Chuckers didn't get him!

I'm so glad all that speculation is over.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/1/19 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank heavens that is over now! Like everyone else I was getting tired of the circus. I knew there was no realistic shot at the Padres getting him after they added Manny.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/15/19 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Stove deals are still being made as winter gets ready to turn into spring! At this writing, at least two high quality pitchers are still unsigned and available, though--starter Dallas Keuchel and reliever Craig Kimbrel. I certainly didn't expect to see them both without a team by this point of the preseason.

In a rather quiet move, Adam Jones was signed by the Diamondbacks. I hope he doesn't end up being a Dodger killer! Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 3/19/19 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/16/19 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will probably be a Padre killer, too. Confused
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/19/19 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess Mike Trout is thinking, "anything you can do, I can do better", because the Angels just locked up their centerfielder for 12 years! At $430 million--beating out both Bryce and Manny--making it the largest contract in the history of professional sports. (Seems we've heard that line a few times lately.)

I know many Phillies phans were salivating at the thought of him hitting free agency next year, as the Halos superstar grew up in N.J. following Philly sports team. Their hopes are now dashed.

But this contract makes it more likely that a future Hall of Famer will play for one team his entire career.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not post about it earlier, but I was glad to see Mike Trout will stay in O.C. He really seems to love it there even though he spends winters in New Jersey - he loves the Angels fans too. I saw a clip of his press conference before the Angels and Dodgers played on Sunday. He is very humble but appreciates the fans and the organization.

This was a very good move by the Angels because they have shown their fans they are committed to building around him.

The Padres have made a last minute move, not quite the same kind of impact though! They claimed outfielder Socrates Brito off waivers from the Diamondbacks and he will be on the roster for opening day. Article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/28/19 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one final move before the season started--the "A"s have acquired Kendrys Morales.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: