Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Luck of the Irish and Baseball - 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/15/19 9:54 pm    Post subject: The Luck of the Irish and Baseball - 2019 Reply with quote

I'm getting a head start this year...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Don't mind me if some of this seems "unoriginal" because some of this is being reposted from previous year's threads. Smile

If you have the luck of the Irish...

You might just find a blue shamrock...

It's hard to imagine a team more tied into its Irish heritage than the Dodgers. What comes to most people's minds is the Red Sox with the city of Boston steeped in Irish-American history. But, there are quite a few Irish connections with the Dodgers--even though Shawn Green is long retired.

Here are some interesting St. Patrick's Day traditions the O'Malley family began back in the day. Their festive parties celebrating the occasion were said to be quite remarkable.

As I've mentioned from time to time over the years, every now and then I research the past events of note that occurred "on this day in baseball history."

One of the very earliest entries I could find for today was this:

3/17/1871 - The National Association of Professional Baseball Players was founded, which set the stage for the future National League (1876). The entry fee for a National Association franchise was set at $10.

In 2008, another entry was noted. From dodgers.com:

Quote:
The Dodgers have called Vero Beach, Fla. their spring home since 1948, but era will come to a close Monday... vs. the Astros.

Sad

Here are some fun facts in light of baseball and St. Patrick's Day, courtesy of MLB.com.

One of these days I may have to do something drastic, and petition the Irish government to remove that certain dreaded color from their flag. Surprised

In keeping with the theme, who doesn't love the green grass of a baseball field? Since I mentioned the Dodgers' final game played at Vero Beach, 11 years ago now, here's a shot of Holman Stadium for that nostalgic event.

And of course, one last bittersweet note:

Happy St. Patrick's Day to our favorite Irishman, the poet laureate of baseball:

He's now three St. Patrick's Days removed from us looking forward to hearing his voice in the broadcast booth. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad It's just not the same.

Slainte, everyone!

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/16/19 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite threads of the year, Lol.

And we should not forget Andy Green either!

Have a happy St. Patrick's Day.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/17/19 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one last toast to baseball! Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/18/19 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: