Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019 Padres - 50th Anniversary Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 4:47 pm    Post subject: 2019 Padres - 50th Anniversary Season Reply with quote

Tomorrow, those Battery Chuckers from Norcal will be playing in Petco Park as our 2 teams play their first game of the season. We will be there with bells on! (hell's bells, Lol) The block party gets started early, and of course, our family will be downtown when that happens. The Gaslamp Quarter will be alive!

A lot is expected of our team this year, and we just learned Fernando Tatis Jr. has made the opening day roster! That was something I did not see happening. At age 20 he will be the youngest Padre to play on opening day.
Manny is excited and ready to play for San Diego, and a lot is expected of him mostly.

Eric Lauer will start the game - he was not even on the team on opening day, last year.

I will toast to the new season once I get through the gate at Petco, though we might have breakfast downtown first. After the game, win or lose, we are meeting up with friends and plan to hang out for awhile - probably having dinner and definitely drinks.

Go Padres in 2019!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time with friends and family! As you know, I would definitely join you at the Block Party if it didn't coincide with Opening Day in L.A.!

I'll look forward to your updates as the Padres promise to be stronger competition for the rest of the division, in what surely will be a very special anniversary season for Padres fans. And congratulations, of course, to the young Tatis Jr. From what I've seen, he's pretty special, and it will be interesting to see how he proves that at the major league level.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/29/19 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see that I am the first to post an opening game report this year!

Yesterday's opener for my Padres was a great one in just about everything you could ask for. Super pitching, milestones for our young phenom, a fun time with my family, and very nice spring weather. Also beating those Battery Chuckers! Twisted Evil A few other highlights were my boys beat MadBum, Eric Lauer threw 6 innings of a shutout, Wil Myers homered, and after 1 game we are tied for the NL West lead! Lol

Nick Canepa was impressed with what he saw, Union Tribune column linked here

And yes even though Manny was 0 for 3 in the opening game, he did have a great defensive play. Seems like everyone in the local sports media is just as excited as the fans are. Even Bryce Miller was spinning how the Padres did not need Manny to hit for them to win - column linked here. I guess that could be said for once but I am going to look for a lot more than that from him when the game is on the line! But it is nice to spread the wealth (talent that is) around a bit!

Another bit of trivia about Lauer, he was the youngest pitcher to throw 6 shutout innings on opening day since Clayton Kershaw did it in 2011. So there is that, Dodger ladies.

And it was also the first time my boys have won on opening day in 5 years. A good recap from the U-T is linked here

I liked most of what I saw, but I guess that would not be a surprise. MadBum did have 9 Ks, though. And I know they will not do everything right for the next 162 but this is a good start and a good way to set the tone. But we will see. I did not want to get my hopes up too high like I did in 2015 only to have everything fall apart.

But probably the best part of yesterday was not so many fans of that team from Norcal taking over the stadium like they usually do. I knew our fans would turn out but there usually end up being lots of orange & black jerseys when they are playing at Petco. I would say we had the edge for sure. However who knows with the next 3 games - it might change. Confused

The Block Party before the game was as usual fantastic. You could tell there was more excitement in the air than the average home opener. And in the pre game introductions, S.F. manager Bruce Bochy did get a very nice reception as it is his last opening day of his career.

After the game we hung out at the Field for awhile before getting Lyft home. There was a lot to celebrate and I hope there will be much more to celebrate as the season goes on.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 3/31/19 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your team is looking good! I'm sure it's very encouraging when they start off hot since it's been awhile since they contended.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. They started off hot but were brought back down to earth when the Diamondbacks won their series at Petco this week. But, Manny hit his first Padres home run in yesterday's game (the 1 game they did win). And in the loss on Tuesday night, our manager Andy Green did make it entertaining getting his first ejection of the year because of a crazy interference call - linked here

I also have to give a tip of my cap to Chris Paddack who had a fantastic start against the Water Hoarders on Sunday for his major league debut. Padres won, 3-1 but he did not get the decision - and also had 7 strikeouts. Nick Margevicius also made his first major league start, on Saturday, but got little support and took the loss. It was a big chance to take with him since Margevicius had not pitched above high A-ball.

It has also been good to see Greg Garcia playing for the hometown team.

Some highlights of the opening weekend, from padres.com - are linked here

Now, our boys are on the road in St. Louis for the Cardinals home opener and will take to S.F. and Arizona coming back west. Today's game was rained out and so they will play it tomorrow.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what the Diamondbacks broadcasters said about that interference play.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/8/19 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres had a good weekend in St. Louis! We ruined the Cardinals home opener and FTJ made sure to remind the Cardinals fans whose son he is! Lol Tom Krasovic's column from the U-T is linked here

After winning both Friday & Saturday they did not get the sweep but still won the series, and Matt Strahm had a good start though they lost yesterday. My boys are next starting a series in AT&T Park. In Saturday's game Manny hit a 2 run home run that helped them come from behind to win the game, 6-4.

(edit - scratch that I mean Oracle Park!)

They have also made some roster changes today, and called up IFer Luis UrĂ­as and LHP Brad Wieck from Triple A, and put OFer Franchy Cordero (& LHP Aaron Loup on the injured list. Both players are suffering elbow strains. Remember he had surgery for those bone spurs just last May.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/12/19 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(clearing throat) AHEM, well, I guess the Padre fans here are happy now, aren't they? Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/12/19 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes, we are!

Last night's game was a close one when starting a series in Arizona, and my Padres went up early 6-1 but then let them back into it, but finally won it, 7-6. We are alone in first place in the NL West! It might be the first time in many years we have been in first as late as April 12, Lol!

The series in S.F. went well and my boys won 2 of 3 there. That is always satisfying. Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/17/19 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice in my last post my boys were in first place and even after that they built up a 3 game lead last weekend. Well that lead is now gone but at least they are still in the thick of things! You know how quickly things can change in this game. After winning a series on the road vs. the Diamondbacks, my Padres came home to Petco Park and lost 2 to the Rockies. I guess it was the Rocks' turn to get hot since they had been playing so badly for the first 2 weeks. We were at Monday's game and the crowd felt like it had the air sucked out of it. Anyway the boys have now lost 3 straight.

In the series in Arizona there was a bit of scuffle about inside pitches - mostly just talk though. It happened on both sides where "purpose pitches" were being thrown - article from padres.com

There is something I have liked seeing, that Franmil Reyes has played in every game so far. The Reds are coming into town for 4 games after getting their butts handed to them in L.A., I see. After that series ends we go to Seattle to play the red hot Mariners who have had a great start to the season. Only 2 games to be played there, and then from coast to coast, my Padres play in D.C. and Atlanta to close out the month of April.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: