Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019 Padres - 50th Anniversary Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 4:47 pm    Post subject: 2019 Padres - 50th Anniversary Season Reply with quote

Tomorrow, those Battery Chuckers from Norcal will be playing in Petco Park as our 2 teams play their first game of the season. We will be there with bells on! (hell's bells, Lol) The block party gets started early, and of course, our family will be downtown when that happens. The Gaslamp Quarter will be alive!

A lot is expected of our team this year, and we just learned Fernando Tatis Jr. has made the opening day roster! That was something I did not see happening. At age 20 he will be the youngest Padre to play on opening day.
Manny is excited and ready to play for San Diego, and a lot is expected of him mostly.

Eric Lauer will start the game - he was not even on the team on opening day, last year.

I will toast to the new season once I get through the gate at Petco, though we might have breakfast downtown first. After the game, win or lose, we are meeting up with friends and plan to hang out for awhile - probably having dinner and definitely drinks.

Go Padres in 2019!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/27/19 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time with friends and family! As you know, I would definitely join you at the Block Party if it didn't coincide with Opening Day in L.A.!

I'll look forward to your updates as the Padres promise to be stronger competition for the rest of the division, in what surely will be a very special anniversary season for Padres fans. And congratulations, of course, to the young Tatis Jr. From what I've seen, he's pretty special, and it will be interesting to see how he proves that at the major league level.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/29/19 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see that I am the first to post an opening game report this year!

Yesterday's opener for my Padres was a great one in just about everything you could ask for. Super pitching, milestones for our young phenom, a fun time with my family, and very nice spring weather. Also beating those Battery Chuckers! Twisted Evil A few other highlights were my boys beat MadBum, Eric Lauer threw 6 innings of a shutout, Wil Myers homered, and after 1 game we are tied for the NL West lead! Lol

Nick Canepa was impressed with what he saw, Union Tribune column linked here

And yes even though Manny was 0 for 3 in the opening game, he did have a great defensive play. Seems like everyone in the local sports media is just as excited as the fans are. Even Bryce Miller was spinning how the Padres did not need Manny to hit for them to win - column linked here. I guess that could be said for once but I am going to look for a lot more than that from him when the game is on the line! But it is nice to spread the wealth (talent that is) around a bit!

Another bit of trivia about Lauer, he was the youngest pitcher to throw 6 shutout innings on opening day since Clayton Kershaw did it in 2011. So there is that, Dodger ladies.

And it was also the first time my boys have won on opening day in 5 years. A good recap from the U-T is linked here

I liked most of what I saw, but I guess that would not be a surprise. MadBum did have 9 Ks, though. And I know they will not do everything right for the next 162 but this is a good start and a good way to set the tone. But we will see. I did not want to get my hopes up too high like I did in 2015 only to have everything fall apart.

But probably the best part of yesterday was not so many fans of that team from Norcal taking over the stadium like they usually do. I knew our fans would turn out but there usually end up being lots of orange & black jerseys when they are playing at Petco. I would say we had the edge for sure. However who knows with the next 3 games - it might change. Confused

The Block Party before the game was as usual fantastic. You could tell there was more excitement in the air than the average home opener. And in the pre game introductions, S.F. manager Bruce Bochy did get a very nice reception as it is his last opening day of his career.

After the game we hung out at the Field for awhile before getting Lyft home. There was a lot to celebrate and I hope there will be much more to celebrate as the season goes on.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 3/31/19 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your team is looking good! I'm sure it's very encouraging when they start off hot since it's been awhile since they contended.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. They started off hot but were brought back down to earth when the Diamondbacks won their series at Petco this week. But, Manny hit his first Padres home run in yesterday's game (the 1 game they did win). And in the loss on Tuesday night, our manager Andy Green did make it entertaining getting his first ejection of the year because of a crazy interference call - linked here

I also have to give a tip of my cap to Chris Paddack who had a fantastic start against the Water Hoarders on Sunday for his major league debut. Padres won, 3-1 but he did not get the decision - and also had 7 strikeouts. Nick Margevicius also made his first major league start, on Saturday, but got little support and took the loss. It was a big chance to take with him since Margevicius had not pitched above high A-ball.

It has also been good to see Greg Garcia playing for the hometown team.

Some highlights of the opening weekend, from padres.com - are linked here

Now, our boys are on the road in St. Louis for the Cardinals home opener and will take to S.F. and Arizona coming back west. Today's game was rained out and so they will play it tomorrow.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/4/19 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what the Diamondbacks broadcasters said about that interference play.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/8/19 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres had a good weekend in St. Louis! We ruined the Cardinals home opener and FTJ made sure to remind the Cardinals fans whose son he is! Lol Tom Krasovic's column from the U-T is linked here

After winning both Friday & Saturday they did not get the sweep but still won the series, and Matt Strahm had a good start though they lost yesterday. My boys are next starting a series in AT&T Park. In Saturday's game Manny hit a 2 run home run that helped them come from behind to win the game, 6-4.

(edit - scratch that I mean Oracle Park!)

They have also made some roster changes today, and called up IFer Luis Urías and LHP Brad Wieck from Triple A, and put OFer Franchy Cordero (& LHP Aaron Loup on the injured list. Both players are suffering elbow strains. Remember he had surgery for those bone spurs just last May.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/12/19 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(clearing throat) AHEM, well, I guess the Padre fans here are happy now, aren't they? Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/12/19 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes, we are!

Last night's game was a close one when starting a series in Arizona, and my Padres went up early 6-1 but then let them back into it, but finally won it, 7-6. We are alone in first place in the NL West! It might be the first time in many years we have been in first as late as April 12, Lol!

The series in S.F. went well and my boys won 2 of 3 there. That is always satisfying. Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/17/19 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice in my last post my boys were in first place and even after that they built up a 3 game lead last weekend. Well that lead is now gone but at least they are still in the thick of things! You know how quickly things can change in this game. After winning a series on the road vs. the Diamondbacks, my Padres came home to Petco Park and lost 2 to the Rockies. I guess it was the Rocks' turn to get hot since they had been playing so badly for the first 2 weeks. We were at Monday's game and the crowd felt like it had the air sucked out of it. Anyway the boys have now lost 3 straight.

In the series in Arizona there was a bit of scuffle about inside pitches - mostly just talk though. It happened on both sides where "purpose pitches" were being thrown - article from padres.com

There is something I have liked seeing, that Franmil Reyes has played in every game so far. The Reds are coming into town for 4 games after getting their butts handed to them in L.A., I see. After that series ends the red-hot Mariners come in to town, and they have had a great start to the season. Once they leave my Padres will hit the road to play in D.C. and Atlanta to close out the month of April.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sun 4/21/19 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/21/19 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much positive to post about my team over the last week! They had lost straight until they beat the Reds (barely) today. The bats went ice cold for the most part. FTJ continues to impress everyone though. I admit though, that even though my boys had slowed down a bit I did not see the Reds taking 3 of 4 games here at Petco Park.

Manny Margot was on paternity leave the last couple of days but is back with the team now. With LHP Robby Erlin being recalled my Padres optioned infielder Luis Urias. In his short time up with the team he struggled at the plate and needs some time to figure out what his troubles are. His preseason numbers were not too good either. RHP Phil Maton was sent down too.

Of course you Dodger ladies know that all this losing meant we dropped behind the Dodgers Sad but there are still 19 head to head games left to play! Smile At least I have confidence they are going to end the first month of the season without being eliminated from contention! Lol And the chemistry seems to be very good - article from padres.com

Something that makes me proud of Petco Park is its disability upgrades.

Quote:
Petco Park is first sensory-inclusive park on West Coast

The Padres have partnered with KultureCity to make Petco Park the first sensory-inclusive MLB ballpark on the West Coast.

KultureCity's mission statement is "rethinking accessibility to create acceptance and inclusion." Petco Park's staff is now fully trained to assist all guests with developmental disorders like autism, and sensory bags will be available at guest service locations for fans in need of them.

To mark the occasion, and as part of World Autism Month, Daniel Platzman, the drummer for Imagine Dragons, threw out the first pitch on Saturday night. Platzman is on the board of directors for KultureCity.

"KultureCity is all about making everything inclusive for everyone, no matter what their sensory challenges," Platzman said. "Now that Petco Park can say the entire staff is certified and trained [in] what to do in the event of a sensory-overload situation, everyone's going to be in good hands."

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/22/19 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, Cathy.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/24/19 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anxious to hear your comments about this short series against the Mariners. Padres look unbeatable when they play Seattle and that's the best team in MLB right now!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/25/19 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did, Sunny. I was very happy with the way that series went especially after losing those 3 of 4 to the Reds at home. You never can predict baseball!

I posted in the Milestones thread about Chris Paddack's first major league win over the Mariners yesterday at Petco. He was terrific! He retired 19 batters in a row and pitched into the seventh inning and beat King Felix! In the first game of the series, Franmil Reyes homered twice and my Padres won, 6-3. In the second game, Kirby Yates got his 12th save (already!) and FTJ has hit in 12 straight games.

More exciting news, Ty France has been called up because of his sizzling bat and although he will not have a regular position to play will be coming off the bench as needed. I hope to see him do well.

It will be a tall order for my boys to face Max Scherzer tomorrow when the series in D.C. gets going. And remember we play the Dodgers in just a week! Surprised
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/27/19 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing if France gets into any games I'm watching--particularly against the Dodgers next weekend at Petco Park! I think both teams will be pretty amped for that series. I'll be at Friday night's game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/27/19 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see you there!

Matt Strahm had a great game in D.C. last night and my Padres won, 4-3. Stephen is pitching against them right now but they are already up on him, 2-0.

Tomorrow is our first Baseball at Breakfast of the year!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/1/19 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a quick stop by with exciting news. Cal Quantrill has been called and will start tonight vs. the Braves!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/3/19 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back home and ready! Trailing the Dodgers by 2 games as we start this homestand and coming off a 4 game split with the Braves. I am feeling good about things. See you this weekend, Linda, and Sunnyblue I hope to see you for at least 1 of the games, too.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/6/19 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - except for the last inning yesterday, that did not go quite the way I had hoped! The Dodgers did take a bit of wind out of our sails but I admire the way my Padres kept fighting back. It was very competitive. I was just glad the Dodgers did not come in and sweep us in our house!

Linda, did you happen to see the U-T article about the makeup of the crowd for the Dodgers series? First, that was exciting because the series could have gone either way, Padres could have swept if everything fell into line and they could also have been swept if not for that ninth inning comeback on Sunday. The Padres players said they liked the atmosphere, though. It reminded me of back in 2006 when our teams had a great race down to the wire.

Things get no easier now because my boys face the Mets with Jacob de Grom on the mound tonight.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Thu 5/9/19 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 5/9/19 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I was pretty happy with the way the Mets series went. Even though my boys lost the middle game, they did win the first one - going up against de Grom - because Chris Paddack just outpitched him. I am not sure if you Dodger gals heard what happened with Pete Alonso, but in the second game his home run was what won it for the Mets. My Padres bounced back for the Wednesday afternoon game, which we attended. May grey. Sad But even with marine layer I am thinking about how nice it is to not have been eliminated from the race by the beginning of May. I will enjoy the ride and keep the faith!

Next up is a road trip to Colorado this weekend and then - surprise, we meet the Dodgers again, but in L.A.! We have not yet decided if we are going up for a game there yet since the series is during the week and it is only a 2 game series. They will be back in Petco Park the next weekend for 4 games against the Pirates.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 5/10/19 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I'll post more in this thread later, too. This is just a quick drive-by! Smile

As you know, I went to Tuesday's Mets-Padres game, which the Mets came back to win. Definitely a good series. So there was a bit of brouhaha with Mets rookie Pete Alonso, I see.

I did indeed read the article about the composition of fans during the sold-out series last weekend. I do have to quibble a bit with Eric Hosmer's comments, though. But he's only been with the Padres a couple of years, so how would he know better?

As far as May gray goes--ugggh!!! It definitely affected some of our games in L.A. this week with a lot of long fly balls dying short of the fences.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 5/14/19 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paddack gets the start for my Padres tonight and will face the Dodgers for the first time! I am excited to see how he might do and especially since he will be facing Clayton.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/17/19 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Maybe I should get getting excited before the fact and wait to see how they do first! Paddack did not have a typical start against the Dodgers in L.A. but it was good to see Franmil homer off Clayton. He is our Iron Man and has still played in every game this year. But 12 Ks in the second game against Maeda was embarrassing.

After losing 2 games in L.A. I am sure the guys were glad to get back to San Diego even though they started a 4 game series against the Pirates right away last night.

Before the Dodgers series my Padres lost 2 of 3 in Colorado, and those losses were brutal on our pitching. Catcher Francisco Mejia has been put on the IL with a left knee sprain and Austin Allen was called up. So we have 2 Austins who could be calling the shots depending on who is pitching.

Manny has been heating up over the last week and had a 3 hit game in Colorado.

In the win over the Pirates last night Ian Kinsler had the big blast to back up the pitching. It did not go without a bit of a mini controversy about his reaction to homering (Union Tribune article linked here) and that seemed to be out of frustration since he has been hitting so poorly. At least Andy Green moved him down to the 7 spot!

Closer Kirby Yates is back on track and he got his 17th save of the season last night.

I did have to cringe quite a bit about my Padres' defense in the 5th inning though. A misplayed pop-up, a misplayed ground ball, a booted ground ball, 1 throw to the wrong base, and 1 bad throw to the right base. But in spite of it all they only gave up 1 run and were not charged with any errors! So go figure!

I think it is going to take awhile for this team to find a real groove and it is still figuring itself out with the new talent mixed in with veterans. We are also still missing FTJ. We are now 1/4 way through the season so we shall see how the other 3/4 goes.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 5/17/19 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, your guys are hanging in there. There will be a lot of ups and downs as they adjust. By the way, the L.A. Times had a nice write-up about the Padres' farm system producing talent this week. Be prepared, because it looks like "the Dodger Way" is coming to San Diego!

"Padres’ Farm Fresh Players Could Transform Team Into a Contender Soon"
By DYLAN HERNANDEZ
MAY 15, 2019 | 11:00 PM

Over his first seven weeks in the major leagues, Chris Paddack has become one of most celebrated pitching prospects in baseball.

The designation says as much about the San Diego Padres’ minor league system as it does about the 6-foot-5 right-hander.

Paddack, 23, entered the season as the Padres’ sixth-best prospect, according to Baseball America.

“We have many more guys coming up,” Paddack said.

Paddack and 20-year-old shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. are only the first wave of players produced by the top-rank farm system in the game. By BaseballAmerica’s count, the Padres started the season with nine of the game’s top 100 prospects. The Dodgers had five.

The depth of the Padres is such that multiple talent evaluators predict they will be the franchise that ends the Dodgers’ run of the National League West championships — not necessarily this year or next, but perhaps as early as 2021.

“They have some arms down there,” said one National League scout, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because his team forbids him from publicly commenting on players on other clubs.

One of the architects of this treasured minor league system is the same executive responsible for many of the players who were part of the Dodgers teams that reached the World Series in each of the last two years.

Logan White was the farm director when the Dodgers drafted or signed Clayton Kershaw, Kenley Jansen, Cody Bellinger, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Corey Seager, Joc Pederson, Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp. He even drafted rookie Alex Verdugo.

White is now the director of player personnel for the Padres. He isn’t the only one to switch allegiances from the Dodgers to the Padres.

General partner Peter Seidler is the nephew of former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley.

General manager A.J. Preller started his career in baseball operations with the Dodgers under then-General Managers Dan Evans and Paul DePodesta.

Acey Kohrogi, the director of Pacific Rim operations, held a similar position with the Dodgers. Former Dodgers Hideo Nomo, Chan Ho Park, Takashi Saito and A.J. Ellis are part of the Padres’ front office.

Padres bench coach Rod Barajas and first base coach Skip Schumaker are former Dodgers players. Third base coach Glenn Hoffman managed the Dodgers for the final 88 games of the 1998 season. Hitting coach Johnny Washington was a former Dodgers minor league coach.

Preller said the Padres’ scouting-based approach is heavily influenced by his time with the Dodgers.

“As you go through and try to build an organization, I constantly look back on the lessons that I learned here,” Preller said.

Preller was quick to commend the work of his scouting directors: Mark Conner, the director of amateur scouting; Chris Kemp, the director of international scouting and Pete DeYoung, the director of professional scouting.

“We've hit in all three of those areas,” Preller said. “That's what the Dodgers have done over the last 15 years.”

Connor drafted the organization’s highest-rated pitcher, 20-year-old left-hander MacKenzie Gore, who is with Class-A Lake Elsinore.

Kemp’s foreign excursions have produced the likes of infielder Luis Urias, a Mexican-born infielder in Triple A, and Adrian Morejon, a left-handed Cuban defector who reached double A last year.

DeYoung’s expertise helped the Padres land top prospects in trades for veterans, as was the case when they acquired Tatis in a deal for James Shields, Paddack for Fernando Rodney and promising triple-A left-hander Logan Allen for Craig Kimbrel.

White compared the group of minor leagues favorably to the collection of talent he helped assemble with the Dodgers, but said, “We have a long ways to go be at the Dodgers’ level.”

High-priced free agents additions such as Manny Machado and Eric Hosmer have given the team’s up-and-coming players veterans after whom they could pattern themselves.

While Preller wouldn’t discount his team’s chance this year, he said, “We're pretty realistic. We're building. We're growing. The first 40 games, there have been some exciting moments, but we know that to be a championship club, there's still a lot more work to do. Just look across the field. The group across the field, they've got a lot more answers than questions.”

By losing year after year, the Padres gained higher draft picks and a greater spending threshold for international prospects. Preller senses they are close to being rewarded for their patience.

“This is what we've been working for,” Preller said.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 5/18/19 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I knew they had that many guys who know the Dodgers way, working for them! Holy crap no wonder they're getting to be a good team, lol.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/19/19 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article about our FO, thank you.

But back to what this team is actually doing, this was not a weekend I would like to remember, losing 3 of 4 to the Pirates. The Diamondbacks come in to Petco Park tomorrow.

LHP Nick Margevicius was optioned following a bad start and righty Cal Quantrill was recalled to start today. Instead hometown boy Joe Musgrove beat us, though my boys did get to him late in the game after he had shut them out for 6 innings. RHP Trey Wingenter was activated from the IL and RHP Gerardo Reyes was also optioned.

And if you missed it Ian Kinsler learned a lesson from his daughter who called him out on that outburst he had the other night. Article from padres.com
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/22/19 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to say maybe what my Padres needed was a dose of the Diamondbacks. We are getting ready for the final game of the series & hopefully will get the sweep. Chris Paddack bounced back from his loss in L.A. last week and won the first game of the series.

After today my boys hit the road again for interleague play in Toronto and then at Yankee Stadium! That is where they will be on Memorial Day. They come home later in the week and play the Marlins at Petco to end the month.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 5/24/19 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Padres swept the Diamondbacks and are now in second place in the division!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/25/19 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to comment on the Ian Kinsler situation before now, but thanks for posting the article, Cathy.

Quote:
Manager Andy Green wasn't so quick to clear Kinsler.

"I think in all cases what we've done from a discipline perspective throughout the years that I've been here, and in most ballparks, that's not something we're going to share with you guys at any point in time, it's just not a story for public consumption,'' Green said. "We'll continue to talk to all our players in different moments in time and that stuff we'll keep to ourselves.''

Kinsler kept true to his story about his outburst not being a shot at Padres fans who have watched him scuffle. Green took Kinsler, who entered Friday's game hitting .175, at his word but then added a few more when contemplating Kinsler's outburst.

"The appearance is not the appearance that we want in this Padres organization,'' Green said. "That look is not what we want on the field. He had the opportunity to apologize today and to recognize how that could be perceived and was perceived by a lot of people.''

Added Kinsler: "I regret using the profanity out in front of everybody like that. I've been struggling and to get a big hit like that was an emotional jolt.''

Understood. The Padres are trying to maintain a professional attitude, while the player is trying to rally his teammates.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/27/19 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did have a 5 game winning streak, with the sweep of Arizona and then 2 of 3 against Toronto. Unfortunately they lost the last game to the Blue Jays and then played today at Yankee Stadium. Matt Strahm started for my boys and he struck out 10 so I was pleased with that. But the bullpen let us down and the Yankees came back on us to win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: