Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019 Padres - 50th Anniversary Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/31/19 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my boys are back to start a homestand tonight as the month of May ends. We will play the Marlins, Phillies and Nationals.

The series in New York did not go as well as I hoped. My Padres won the middle game, but were blasted in the final game, 7-0 in which Chris Paddack got knocked around. In this game he really did look like a rookie.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 6/2/19 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Cathy, I heard there was a bee invasion at Petco Park today!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 6/3/19 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we were not at the game, but this article from padres.com describes it. It lasted half an hour!

Sadly, my boys lost the series to the Marlins, and were blown out yesterday. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/5/19 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee lovers are furious with the Padres! LOL
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/8/19 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTJ is back! Or El Nino as he is becoming known. My Padres have won their first 2 games of this series against the Nationals. Last night, it was Austin who came through with the big walk off hit (his first ever) - and Josh Naylor tied the game in the 9th inning to set the tables.

Tonight it will be Eric Lauer vs. Max Scherzer. After the weekend my boys will take to the road to S.F. and Colorado for the week. Then they will be back at Petco a week from Monday.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 6/12/19 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck. Not only did my boys lose to the Battery Chuckers last night in San Francisco but they fell under .500 at 33-34. They lost the last 2 games of the Nationals series at Petco, too.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 6/16/19 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Padres are playing the rubber game of their series in Colorado right now.

The game on Friday was one of those wacky Coors Field kind, with Hunter Renfroe leading the way with 3 home runs, and my Padres scored 6 in the 9th to force extras. They ended up winning 16-12!

But still the most surprising news of the last few days was Chris Paddack being sent down to A ball! They are trying to preserve him and he was struggling lately. Whatever it takes for him to have a bright future with my Padres, I will get behind.

Last edited by forloveofthegame on Sat 6/22/19 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 6/19/19 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That weekend in Colorado was crazy. The 2 teams ended up combining to score 92 runs! The 4 game series was split between the Rockies & my Padres. Well as is always the case when you get through with a series there, you worry about how it will affect your pitchers in the next series. I am just glad we had a great series against the Brewers and swept them. Except for today in the final game the pitching was super. Logan Allen got the call up for his major league debut yesterday, and went 7 innings giving up only 1 run. Joey Lucchesi shut them out the night before.

You might have heard about the wrestler, John Cena, who lost a bet to Allen and had to attend the game last night. He told Allen he would not make it to the majors and then had to pay up. Evidently Logan has been a fan of his since he was a young child. The bet was $1! The guys on our broadcast had a lot of fun with that.
Article from USA Today
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/21/19 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sign of good management that the Padres could avoid a pitching breakdown in San Diego after being battered so much in Colorado. If you remember, back in April the Dodgers swept a series in Colorado and proceeded to have their pitching immediately fall apart in the next series. For NL West teams, that's one of the big challenges for pitching staffs.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/22/19 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I have learned this team is very up-and-down this year! They came home and had a very short homestand (just those 3 games against the Brewers) and then went right back on the road to play in Pittsburgh, another Eastern swing. And they lost the first 2 games of this series. They will play 2 games this week in Baltimore and then come back to Petco Park for the Cardinals series. Crazy schedule.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/27/19 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mixed bag back east. My Padres were swept in Pittsburgh but then enjoyed a very welcome trip to Baltimore, welcome meaning that the Orioles are a much worse team! It was the return of Manny to Camden Yards. Only a 2 game series, but my boys won both games. Now back in town to play the Cardinals starting tomorrow night!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/29/19 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your guys looked pretty good last night--as you know, I was in attendance for Padres vs. Cardinals.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/30/19 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They looked superb last night, beating the Cardinals, 12-2.

I'm 2-0 for your team this weekend. On the same two nights, my Dodgers lost on the road, so I'm probably better off having watched less stressful baseball in Petco Park.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/1/19 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the help! Very Happy I was following along, of course, from the Bay Area. Happy to see Chris Paddack do well on Saturday and of course the bats coming to life. Even though my boys lost yesterday, I was pleased they took the series and with good pitching. Also seeing Mandiego heating up - a nice power display we got from him.

The Battery chuckers are coming into San Diego tonight and they will get to face Logan Allen.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/5/19 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a forgettable series! The Battery Chuckers manhandled us as if they were the team they were earlier in this decade. The games were not even close. Then my boys took to the road and lost the first game to the Dodgers. The Dodgers, though, have been good all season while those Battery Chuckers have not. However as far as silver linings go it was nice to have Dinelson Lamet back to make his first start of the season for my Padres, as he was lost to TJ surgery. He did pitch nicely and struck out 7 but allowed the home run by Max Muncy. I hope we can expect to see more of him looking that good, after this performance.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/8/19 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series against the Dodgers in L.A. was much more memorable than losing to the Water Hoarders at home last week!

My Padres won 3 straight after losing the first game, and now go into the All Star break at an even .500. The pitching was right on with Eric Lauer, Chris Paddack and Joey Lucchesi having very good starts, especially Paddack. He wanted to show the Dodgers he was a different pitcher from the guy who was knocked around when they were playing at Dodger Stadium in May.

On the spur of the moment my husband and I decided to go to the game on Saturday. We got there early and sat in reserved section. A few scattered Padres fans were seen walking around but the fans were mostly Dodger blue. A bit of trash talking going on back and forth between fans but it was all good. We know our guys were playing well in this series but still lag behind by double digits. Nice evening at the ballpark, super weather and a terrific Padres win. We had thought about going Friday but did not due to traffic and because of that we missed the earthquake in person. Lol It was fun to watch on TV, though.

There were also lots of birthdays to celebrate this weekend, Manny's 27th on Saturday, Andy Green's 42nd on Saturday, and I am drawing a blank on the other.

When the break is over the boys will open again at Petco Park against the Braves - another good team to challenge them. Then they go cross country to Miami to play the Marlins, then stop back in the Central time zone to play the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Then they hop back to Eastern time for a series against the Mets. Then leave New York after the Thursday day game next week, come back to San Diego and start a series right away on Friday vs. the Water Hoarders again! I hope they are back to drowning again by then.

Lots of excitement ahead in the month of July and hoping for a very good last couple of months for my Padres.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/11/19 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are ready to get this show underway already, so everyone can see what kind of progress our guys will make between now and the end of the season. I am looking forward to more fun and exciting games. Getting a wild card spot would be a longshot but compared to past years when they were out of the wild card running in April this is much better! Very Happy
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/15/19 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am sure disappointed in the way the Padres played since coming home after the All Star break. They had come into the break strong but they looked outplayed in almost every way this weekend at Petco - and swept my Padres. One silver lining was CQ threw 6 shutout innings yesterday. Another one was, the call up of Andres Munoz on Friday. His fastball actually averaged 100 mph over the inning he pitched!

The boys are headed back east and play the Marlins in Miami, starting tomorrow.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/16/19 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched highlights of your games, and I'm still not used to seeing Dallas Keuchel pitch for the Braves!

Win or lose, El Nino continues to impress everyone!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/18/19 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that will take some getting used to!

Well, we have had bad news, good news, and in between, ever since the All Star break ended. Bad news was everybody was hyped to get back on the field after they ended the weekend before by beating the Dodgers in 3 straight games. Then, coming back home after the break they were swept (and I will give the Braves due credit, but I had higher hopes). Then they went on the road and it does not get much worse than losing to the Marlins, which was 4 straight losses for my boys. That is the bad news. Last night, my Padres won the second game of the series, in Miami, but I was so hoping I would have something to post in the Milestones thread! Chris Paddack was sharp and pitched a no hitter into the 8th inning. He said he had extra motivation because the Marlins are the team that traded him. Unfortunately still 50 years and not any no hitters thrown by our pitchers! Every other team in Major League Baseball has 1 or more no hitters. It might seem like something that is not so important but to me, a no hitter is very exciting even though I have only seen them pitched by other teams! So the good news last night is our boys won, but disappointing that Paddack lost his milestone even though it was a great effort.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 7/19/19 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddack was locked in! He might still be your first guy to throw a no hitter, someday.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/25/19 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still scratching my head about this team! They are so frustrating sometimes. I had high hopes with the way they went into the All Star break and now here we are 2 weeks later and they are 3-9 since the All Star game and in fourth place in the NL west division. They lost series to the Cubs and Mets on the road. Especially with the Mets, a team that is also under .500 and has a record very close to ours, this was disappointing. Chris Paddack gave up 2 home runs to Robinson Cano in his start and got the loss. Dinelson Lamet struggled in his start.

The team made some moves over the weekend. First, after a lot of seasoning over the last couple of months they feel Luis Urias is ready to play in the majors again. They also called up LHP Adrian Morejon and RHP Michel Baez and then optioned RHP reliever Trey Wingenter and outfielder Josh Naylor.

Now they come home to play the Battery Chuckers who have really been on a roll lately.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 7/31/19 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took quite awhile but my Padres finally got their first home win in July - just in time for August, Lol. Actually it was on July 27 and it was the only game of the series with the Battery Chuckers, that the locals won. As we have seen they caught fire during July and are making a big run for the wild card in the NL.

After they left and Bruce Bochy said goodbye, my Padres split the 2 games with the Orioles who were coming into town pretty hot from that series in Anaheim. We went to the game on Monday at Petco Park and I guess it was the right one for us because my boys hit 5 HRs in that game and won 8-1. Nice to see them do everything right in that game but then it was the Orioles they were playing
Confused and after a day off, today, guess where to next? Dodger Stadium, as I am sure you know! Tomorrow night they will start with the first game of 4 there over the weekend. Strange because that last series they played there before the All Star break is what gave me hope for improvement after the break. It did not go as we hoped, though! Crying or Very sad And we are also thinking of going to a game, maybe - not sure until after tomorrow night what the weekend schedule will be for us.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/2/19 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, because when I heard last week about this weekend's upcoming series with the Padres referenced, I was assuming it was at Petco Park. The two teams haven't faced off there since the first weekend of May! Exclamation And they just played a series in Chavez Ravine less than a month ago. Quirky schedule!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/4/19 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is.

The first 3 games have gone about as I expected. Even though they won the last series they played in Dodger Stadium, I figured it would be optimistic even if they just got a split this time. And of course I ended up going last night when they lost! Sad Shoddy defense for our boys - Walker had kept them off the scoreboard until the end there.

We watched the Thursday and Friday games at home. On Friday my boys showed they are moving past not having Franmil Reyes as Wil Myers and Josh Naylor both had good games with their bats. It gets Myers into more games and with what we are paying him, he should be. He is better with the glove than Reyes was. But unfortunately Naylor in left field cost us a run last night with a lapse getting to a ball most of us thought was playable that drove in a run for the Dodgers. Eric Lauer had another good game against them during the win on Friday night. If he could only pitch as well against the rest of the league as he does against L.A. I would be thrilled! We were happy Cal pitched pretty well last night even with the loss. Chris Paddack will be out there going for my Padres today and I hope he throws the same kind of game he did against them just before the All star break.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 8/8/19 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodger ladies, as you can guess I am not a happy fan after that weekend! My boys have lost 4 out of their last 6 what with the Dodgers series and then splitting 2 games in Seattle. I still love my team, but I admit a lot of us got too excited early on in the season. This team still has more fascinating players to watch than it has had in several years, though.

I am sure you heard about the Mejia-Hedges issues and lack of communication between Mejia and Kirby Yates, in the Sunday game of the series in L.A. It is described in an article from the Union Tribune linked here

Dinelson Lamet got his first win in 2 years, over the Mariners this week and he pitched a no hitter into the 7th inning. He is a mixed bag but if he ever finds some consistency then look out! I think he is still trying to find his way after having missed so much time.

El Nino hit his 20th home run of the season in Seattle and he was the tenth rookie shortstop in Major league history to hit 20 or more homers. Also, Hunter Renfroe is tied for eighth in the majors with 30 home runs. Some other stats on Padres who have been doing well are linked in the article from padres.com

My Padres will play a 4 game series against the Rockies starting tonight at Petco Park. Then, 3 against the Rays before our team heads out for another Eastern trip.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/9/19 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cath, I did follow the commentary from Don Orsillo during Sunday's game discussing the miscommunication.

I must admit that linked column includes a brilliant piece of writing by Bryce Miller:

Quote:
Buried in the puddle of ink that was the nearly indecipherable scorecard for the Dodgers’ 11-10, walk-off against the Padres on Sunday at Dodger Stadium, was the unspoken.

Or the somewhat spoken. Or the misspoken.

A game that lasted nearly four hours, featured 73 at-bats, 23 hits and a dozen pitchers — a baseball endurance test with more twists and turns than Space Mountain — came down to the car’s internal engine, the battery.

The Padres used a pair of mound visits in the ninth inning before Max Muncy polished off his monstrous day by yanking a two-run, game-ending double — his third extra-base hit of the day.

...Debate teams salivate over these types of arguments: Did those pauses allow closer Kirby Yates to breathe during a four-out save situation and offer a chance for the defense to regroup … or did they steal invaluable rhythm and focus?

The final score, silently arguing from that same bludgeoned scorecard, pointed to the latter.

Reading the rest of the commentary, it's a dilemma for sure--one of those great baseball discussions that will be taking place in S.D. for awhile.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/14/19 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys took 3 of 4 from Colorado on their weekend homestand at Petco, then welcomed the Rays in to San Diego. Unfortunately their pitchers felt too welcome. My Padres lost the first 2 games, and avoided the sweep by winning today. Next up, the Phillies & Reds on the road.

Also, it was a quirky thing for Jose Castillo, LH reliever called up but who immediately got hurt, with a torn ligament in his throwing hand, and will miss the rest of the season. Sad They had been waiting months for his return and he only got to throw in 1 inning to 2 batters!

LHP Robbie Erlin has been called back up.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/16/19 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now El Niño to the IL, huh? I saw where Ty France is being recalled.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/21/19 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Sad

My boys took the series in Philadelphia over the weekend and have now split the first 2 in Cincinnati. Rubber game is this morning- Baseball at Breakfast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: