Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bums on the Road - June-July, 2019
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/4/19 7:42 am    Post subject: Bums on the Road - June-July, 2019 Reply with quote

The Dodgers opened a road trip in Arizona with a statement win to push the Diamondbacks to under .500.

Walker took the mound for L.A. and was simply dazzling, limiting AZ to two hits over eight innings. What's more, he outpitched Dodger-killer Robby Ray, who started for the Diamondbacks. The Dodgers' offense consisted of one three-run home run (thank you, Corey) in the fourth inning, but that was enough to beat Ray. KJ topped it off with his 18th save, and L.A. won, 3-1.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 7/14/19 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/5/19 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers win, 9-0! Ryu is 9-1!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/5/19 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another series win, but it was a loss for the Dodgers in extra innings against the Diamondbacks today, 3-2. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/8/19 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause for alarm? The Dodgers have lost two consecutive games for the first time since April. They dropped the opener last night behind CK, 2-1, although it was just another great quality start for him. The Dodgers couldn't muster up much offense.

And on another note...I've been bombarded with emails, requests, awareness of #WearOrange Day for the last couple of weeks. And I must apologize to the organizers, because I support the cause, but I am in no way wearing orange, any weekend, but especially this weekend. There is a very good reason my wardrobe does not include anything of that color! Twisted Evil

And, of course, Friday at Oracle Park was one of their regularly scheduled "Orange Fridays." It's like nails on a chalkboard!

Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 6/10/19 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/9/19 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"D-O-D-G-E-R-S, team, team, team..."

Well, the Dodgers were able to come back from a series-opening loss to take the series in San Francisco this weekend. Three consecutive quality starts to add to a long string of QS for L.A. pitching certainly helped, since runs were in short supply from the Dodgers' offense the last few days. In Saturday's 2-1 win, it was Rich Hill who started. Today, it was Walker who threw seven shutout innings and was helped along by Pedro and KJ, who pitched the eighth and ninth. A solo shot by Mad Max in the first inning scored the only run of the game. It didn't go over too well with MadBum, who took exception to his admiration of the splash home run into McCovey Cove.

From the L.A. Times:

Quote:
(Max) Muncy was hitless with three strikeouts in six career at-bats against Bumgarner when he crushed the left-hander’s eighth pitch of the game into McCovey Cove, the splash-hit traveling 426 feet over the right-field wall.

Muncy did not flip his bat, but he did pause for a second or two to admire his shot before breaking into his trot. The notoriously feisty Bumgarner, who feuded with former Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig in 2014 and 2016, was clearly offended. He took several steps toward Muncy and stalked him down the first base line.

By the time Muncy rounded first the two were in a full-blown argument, screaming and gesturing at each other. Plate umpire Will Little intervened, but the two were still jawing at each other as Muncy pulled into the plate.

“He took exception to me watching the ball, I guess,” Muncy said of Bumgarner. “He said, ‘You don't watch the ball. You run.’ ”

And Muncy’s response?

“I told him, ‘If you don't want me to watch the ball, you can go in the ocean and get it,’ ” he said. “I don't even know if he heard it. As I was rounding the bases, I yelled it at him. He was yelling at me. We were kind of going back and forth and that was it. Just a couple guys competing.”

Bumgarner always gets up for the Dodgers — he has given up two earned runs and struck out 17 in 19 innings of three starts against them this season — and he seemed upset at a few of Little’s calls on leadoff batter Enrique Hernandez on Sunday. So he might have been on edge when he grooved a fastball to Muncy.

“He just struck a pose and walked farther than I liked,” Bumgarner said of Muncy. “If you want to do that, do it. But I’m going to do what I want to do.”

Bumgarner and Puig sparked benches-clearing incidents in 2014, when Bumgarner hit Puig with a pitch, and in 2016, when, after a groundout, the pitcher screamed at Puig, “Don’t look at me!” That phrase, of course, ended up on T-shirts that were distributed among the Dodgers.

“I can’t even say it with a straight face, but the more I think about it, they should let the kids play,” Bumgarner said, poking fun at a Major League Baseball promotional campaign. “That’s what everybody’s saying … but I can’t.

“If they want to let everybody be themselves, let me be myself. That’s me. I’d just as soon fight than walk or whatever. Just do your thing. I’ll do mine.”

Muncy didn’t think he had done that much to offend Bumgarner.

“Honestly, I thought it was probably one of my tamer bat flips,” Muncy said. “I didn't think it was anything outrageous. I just kind of took one or two steps out of the box and started jogging.”

The two faced each other two more times without incident, Muncy grounding out to second in the third inning and walking in the sixth.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 6/10/19 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so cool Mad Max said it. MadBum is definitely a great pitcher but has some pretty emotional outbursts at times.

As far as colors go, I don't blame you and I too tried to ignore the awareness campaign - it was bad timing! So does that mean you won't be going out to be fitted for an orange rally bra? Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/11/19 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL, hell, no! And I do mean hell! Twisted Evil

At this point, I won't be buying a red one, either, after the Freeway Series started in Anaheim last night with the Halos rallying off our vaunted reliever, Joe Kelly.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/12/19 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Maeda didn't have it last night, and the Dodgers lost again, 5-2.

Now going home (all 30 miles from Anaheim, LOL) to open a four-game series at the Ravine with the Cubs, starting tomorrow.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 6/12/19 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure your front office honchos will figure something out to fix your bullpen problems. Meanwhile we seem to be suffering the same! It is a good thing you have a 10 game lead to work with while you experiment and get things right.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/25/19 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening a series in Arizona last night, the Dodgers got out to a good start behind Clayton, but fell behind, 4-3 on Zack's solo home run.

Then came the late innings meltdown. After they tied the score at 4, Dylan Floro imploded and the Diamondbacks won, 8-4.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 6/25/19 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floro is very concerning to me.

DB, what do you think about the experiment of playing Joc at first?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/26/19 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll address that later.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers bounced back from the ugly loss on Monday night and won last night, 3-2.

Day game today...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/26/19 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some said, it was a "throwaway" game. I call it experimental--something you can afford to do when you lead your division by 13 games at the halfway point of the season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/28/19 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...the Dodgers opened a series in Coors Canaveral last night, and true to form, ended up scoring in double digits. Dodgers 12, Rockies 8.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/29/19 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers lost in Coors Field last night. CK tonight!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/30/19 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockies beat the Dodgers...again. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/1/19 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers closed out their road trip at 12-6 with a win over the Rockies and now head home.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/12/19 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers open post-AS break play with another East Coast road trip, beginning in Fenway Park, where they return for the first time since losing two straight in the World Series last October.

Good news--Corey Seager and A.J. Pollock have both been reactivated!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 7/12/19 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense is still in a slump and very sluggish. Also they may have caught the Red Sox at the wrong time because even though they had a bad first half they were starting to win before the All Star break. Hope our Dodgers can get it together and get a win or 2 this weekend.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/12/19 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and even with the break giving them time to reset, they came out flat like they had in the previous three games against the Padres. We certainly had plenty of reasons to think they would appear stronger starting tonight. For one thing, most of the players just had a few days off, even if they were traveling to the East Coast. The activation of three players who had missed time on the IL was another. And last, even with a DH in the lineup, they couldn't even score more than one run?

That's what happened, as our hard-luck starter Maeda got the ball for the Dodgers tonight at Fenway Park. He allowed only four hits over 5 2/3 innings, but three of them were solo HRs. For the Red Sox, Eduardo Rodriguez shut down the Dodgers limiting the damage to one solo shot by the Mexicutioner, and notched the win. Final score Red Sox 8, Dodgers 1, and it was just like last October all over again. Sad

A rain delay took place in the seventh inning with the Sox up, 4-1. Resuming an hour later, Boston tacked on four more runs, including a three-run homer off the bat of Xander Bogaerts, surrendered by Dodgers reliever J.T. Chargois.

The Dodgers' skid is now at four, which equals their longest this season (a four-game sweep in St. Louis, in April).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/14/19 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that game went a lot better. The second game of the series was a blowout by the Dodgers, 11-2, and in fact resulted in the Dodgers' second-ever win at Fenway Park (over four series, including last year's W.S.). Their first visit to Boston during interleague play took place in June, 2004, and they won one game of that series. As I recall, they were swept in the 2010 series there, and then lost Games 1 and 2 last October. By my calculation that makes them 2-8 at Fenway overall ("overall" going back to 2004).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/14/19 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there went another win-by-the-seat-of-your pants game for the Dodgers! And I'll be damned if it didn't require 12 innings and several panic attacks courtesy of the bullpen! (Note the time of game, 5:40, and amount of innings were still short of the seven-hour-plus long, 18-inning game at Chavez Ravine last October!)

With David Price pitching very well over his last several starts, the Boston starter matched up in this game with the Dodgers' Ryu, and neither was sharp early on, as the Dodgers took a 3-2 lead courtesy of A.J.'s three-run homer. As the game wore on, though, Ryu's rhythm was back to its cool self, and he threw seven strong innings for another quality start. L.A. tacked on a fifth-inning insurance run to lead, 4-2, going into the ninth.

But...Pedro Baez. Just when you think this guy has it figured out, he reverts to old form, and in this case, the Dodgers reliever surrendered back-to-back home runs to open the bottom of the eighth inning to tie the score at 4.

Neither team's bullpen has been particularly impressive this season, so when the game entered extra innings, it could have gone either way. Superb defensive outfield assists nailed runners for both teams at some points in the extras, with the tie-breaking run thrown out at home, the Mexicutioner for the visitors, and Andrew Benitendi for the Sox.

In the end, the Dodgers won, 7-4, although Dylan Floro, the fifth of six relievers to appear in the game for L.A., almost seemed to want to give it away in the bottom of the 12th. Evidently, all is far from perfect here, but Joe Kelly did come in to get the last two outs of the game against his former team, and succeeded, so I'll take that as a plus. And, K.J., who pitched 1- 2/3 innings in relief, looked pretty solid and struck out three. Kenley-fornia Love! Smile So, there are some rare bright spots.

And overall, I'm quite happy with this team taking a series in Fenway Park for the first time...ever.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/16/19 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pssst...you know that scoring slump the Dodgers were in last week?

Well, I think it's over now.

Following their series win over the Red Sox, L.A. marched into Philadelphia along with hordes of fans clad in blue, both East- and West Coast-based, cheering on the visiting team.

CK started the game for the Dodgers, and won handily, throwing another six innings while the team bats had a field day. Final score Dodgers 16, Phillies 2.

A bit of bad news came in the form of CT's trip to the IL thanks to a fractured wrist, having been hit by a pitch on Sunday in Boston. Matt Beaty was recalled.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/16/19 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news about Chris because he was just recently getting hot. He may be out until September. It's good to have Beatty back, though. What a game that was last night, and also Sunday in Boston. Everyone covering the Phillies seemed to comment about how many fans we had there. I have often seen a lot of Dodger fans at road games there but nothing like what we saw last night.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/16/19 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's good to have Beatty back, though.

It was even better than I thought to have Beaty back tonight, and as he carried the team from a deficit to a lead in the ninth inning, I smiled. Smile Unfortunately, a few minutes later, I wasn't smiling. Sad KJ's meltdown was not good.

Final score Phillies 9, Dodgers 8.

It can't be emphasized enough--this bullpen has serious issues, top to bottom.

Confused

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/17/19 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best laid plans go awry when rain delays strike early...

Dodgers win 7-2. Baseball at closing time tonight.

Baseball at breakfast tomorrow!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/18/19 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were talking about the issues with KJ. In my opinion he makes himself look bad for throwing his manager and pitching coach under the bus by not being honest.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/19/19 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure. And Doc commented on that.

From the L.A. Times:

"Kenley Jansen’s Lack of Candor About Injury Bothers Dodgers Manager"

By JORGE CASTILLO
JULY 17, 2019 4:46 PM

PHILADELPHIA — Dodgers manager Dave Roberts prides himself on his open communication with players. He believes he does a good job being honest with them and cultivating trust. As a result, what happened Tuesday night with Kenley Jansen bothered him.

Jansen, inserted in the game in the ninth inning to protect a two-run lead over the Philadelphia Phillies, took a 98-mph grounder off his right ankle from the leadoff hitter. He hobbled but shook off the Dodgers dugout, insisting he was fine. Three batters later, after his limp became more noticeable, Roberts emerged from the dugout with a trainer to check on Jansen. The closer maintained he could stay in the game.

About half an hour later, after Bryce Harper laced a game-winning two-run double, Jansen told reporters his ankle went numb, he couldn’t drive off the mound, and he should’ve taken himself out of the game.

“When you give certainty that you’re not compromising yourself or the team, then I’m going to trust it,” Roberts said Wednesday. “And so to then go back and say, ‘I should’ve come out of the game,’ then it’s a little bit tough to swallow.”

Jansen said the pain and swelling in his ankle had subsided Wednesday, but he was not going to partake in any activities. Roberts said Julio Urías or Joe Kelly would close if the situation arose. A stint on the injured list is not expected.

So Jansen will return to his role soon, looking to rebound from another ninth-inning letdown. Two years ago, the 31-year-old Jansen was, arguably, the best reliever in baseball. Last season, his cutter’s velocity dropped, his earned-run average climbed from 1.32 to 3.01, and he allowed 13 home runs after giving up nine the previous two years while dealing with a heart condition.

This season, Jansen, utilizing a slider more often to counter his velocity dip, has blown four saves in 27 opportunities and owns a 3.72 ERA in 38 appearances. Wednesday was the first time he allowed four runs in a game since Aug. 27, 2012.

Roberts pointed to Jansen’s velocity, command, and consistency with his delivery as reasons for his downward turn. But he insisted the team is not considering changing Jansen’s role in any way — “I don’t see that as a conversation that I’m even entertaining” — and maintained he remained confident in the closer.

“When we give him a baseball, I expect the game to be over,” Roberts said.
“Obviously, the results aren’t what they were in ’17. And you can say that about a lot of players. So I think it’s just one of those things that he’s just got to continue to make pitches. But he’s the best we have and I still have full confidence when we give him the baseball.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, as the Dodgers are finished with Philadelphia for the regular season, the prevailing opinion is that they made the right move by passing on signing Bryce last offseason.

Also from the L.A. Times:

"Dodgers Fans Wanted Bryce Harper, But the Team Didn’t Need Him"

By ANDY MCCULLOUGH
JULY 18, 2019 5 AM

PHILADELPHIA — Bryce Harper drifted toward the right-field wall, gazing upward as the baseball disappeared beyond his reach. A sizable cadre of Dodgers fans in the second deck of Citizens Bank Park erupted. A chant floated down toward the field. “M-V-P!” they said. “M-V-P!”

The words were not meant for Harper, the $330 million offseason addition for the Philadelphia Phillies. They were directed toward Cody Bellinger, the Dodgers outfielder who mans the position that Harper might have held, had he opted for a short-term deal in Los Angeles over a 13-year, agreement in the City of Brotherly Love.

A few innings later, in the late stages of a 14-run Dodgers romp on Monday, another chant wafted over the field. It came from the same representatives of Pantone 294, the Dodgers fan group. But the intended audience was clear.

“Where is Harper?” they chanted. “Where is Harper?”

He stood below them, fielding his position for a team in the middle of the pack in the National League East and caught among the glut of mediocre clubs vying for the wild-card game. He was treading water on a team doing the same. Through Tuesday, Harper had an .850 on-base-plus-slugging percentage, his lowest since 2016, nearly 50 points below his career average.

The production from Harper is commendable, but far from the ceiling of his capability. His OPS was also lower than those of Bellinger (1.144), and Dodgers teammates Joc Pederson (.859) and Alex Verdugo (.855). All three are left-handed-hitting outfielders, just like Harper. Had the Dodgers signed Harper, the team likely would not have been able to field a roster that included all four players.

“Bryce is a superstar player,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “Makes any ballclub better. But when you look at our roster, he’s a guy that’s going to take 650 plate appearances a year. But for the way we operate, it does give other guys a runway.”

The Dodgers’ interest in Harper was serious enough that the team sent a private plane full of representatives for a meeting with the outfielder in Las Vegas in February. The emissaries from the Dodgers included Roberts, owner Mark Walter, team President Stan Kasten and president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman.

The Dodgers never wavered from their stance on Harper. Even though Harper won’t turn 27 until October, the Dodgers were not interested in offering a contract longer than half a decade. The team was willing to set a record for average annual value on a contract, but it would not budge on the length. Harper had made it clear to his agent, Scott Boras, that he wanted as lengthy a deal as possible so he could avoid the speculation about his future that had hounded him with the Washington Nationals.

A few days after meeting with the Dodgers, Harper finalized his 13-year pact with the Phillies. He looked like the final touch of an outstanding offseason for Phillies General Manager Matt Klentak. The team had already traded for All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto and All-Star shortstop Jean Segura, and signed outfielder Andrew McCutchen and reliever David Robertson. Harper figured to amplify an already intimidating offense.

Little has gone precisely according to plan. Robertson pitched in seven games before succumbing to a flexor strain in his right elbow. He has not pitched since April 14. McCutchen suffered a season-ending knee ligament tear June 3. Realmuto remains an excellent defender but has been a below-average hitter in 2019.

It would be preposterous to describe Harper as a bust. But amid a proliferation of power throughout the sport, his slugging percentage had dipped to .477 through Tuesday. Among the 154 batters qualified for the batting title, Harper ranked 73rd in slugging, tied with Atlanta Braves second baseman Ozzie Albies and Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Starling Marte.

That may soon change. Harper showed signs of a breakout early in the series with the Dodgers. He delivered a thunderous home run against Walker Buehler on Tuesday before providing the walk-off double that sank Kenley Jansen in the ninth inning.

After Harper ended the proceedings Tuesday, his teammates flocked to the diamond to greet him. Harper was pumping his fist and howling. The emotion felt fitting to manager Gabe Kapler.

“It was a huge moment for Bryce,” Kapler said. “And you could see it when he came off the field, after everybody was celebrating on the field, how important that was to him. It meant a lot to him. He was clearly emotional. And I understand it. There’s been a lot of build-up that went up to that moment, and I’m sure it was quite a release for him.”

Harper is not the most reliable hitter; he strikes out in more than a quarter of his at-bats. But he has come through in the clutch for the Phillies. After Tuesday, he was batting .410 with a 1.233 OPS with runners in scoring position.

“We come in here every single day, looking to win games and play the right way,” Harper said. “You live for those moments.”

The Dodgers can recognize Harper’s ability. It intrigued them over the offseason. But Roberts expressed no remorse over letting him sign elsewhere.

Bellinger looks like the favorite to be selected NL Most Valuable Player. Pederson has hit 21 home runs, four more than Harper. Verdugo has become one of the team’s most electric players, an excellent defender with the ability to put the baseball in play. And they are being paid a total of $6.165 million this season, a fraction of Harper’s $25.385-million average annual value.

The totality of the trio makes up for Harper’s absence, Roberts insisted.

“The sum, for a major league season and how we operate, it works for us,” Roberts said. “Having Alex take a step forward ... being able to give guys days off to stay fresh throughout the course of a season. There’s a lot of value in that too.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/26/19 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers began an Eastern road swing, their second in three weeks, this evening with a 4-2 win over the Nationals in Washington, D.C. And that didn't by any means come easy, with KJ loading the bases in the ninth--but still getting the final out--as the Nats scored only once off him to narrow the deficit.

It had all begun as a fine pitching duel between Ryu getting the start for L.A. and Anibal Sanchez taking the mound for D.C.

But with the score tied at 1 in the top of the eighth, Rojo Chingon crushed a three-run homer off Nationals reliever Kyle Barraclough, providing a slight cushion for the Dodgers bullpen, which managed to make it work.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/28/19 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 9-3 win over the Nationals yesterday, the Dodgers go for the sweep today in D.C. It was a statement win in more ways than one, because with his call-up Friday and Austin Barnes being sent down, Will Smith has now been named Dodgers' starting catcher until further notice. Smith responded with a six-RBI game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: