Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SABR in Diego - June, 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/27/19 10:12 pm    Post subject: SABR in Diego - June, 2019 Reply with quote

Not that we didn't know this already, but I'm posting (thus making it "official", LOL) about the SABR annual convention coming up in June...here in San Diego!

I must say I really like the logo, and it's not a coincidence that it incorporates the mission into it, given it's our city's 250th anniversary this summer (and of course, the Padres' 50th anniversary as a major league team).

Looking forward to this!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 2/28/19 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to be exciting. It's already on my calendar.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/1/19 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had let my membership lapse awhile back but I guess I should get back on the ball so I can be part of this. Anyone thinking of volunteering?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/2/19 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the longest time, I was planning to. But since it coincided with the same week my friends from St. Louis are coming into town (Stlred, who used to post here), I decided against it--I really need to work as much as I can in between taking time off to be with them. I may try to get to some select sessions, though.

Anyway, I attended my first-ever SABR lunch yesterday, which was held just two miles from my house. What a great time! Very informal, just talking baseball--and we talked a bit about the upcoming convention as well. SABR-San Diego/Ted Williams Chapter arranges these lunch "meetings" on a quarterly basis. I enjoyed meeting the other local members. I encourage you guys to consider membership (or hopefully you've reinstated yourself, Cathy)...and check out the schedule of events. They do offer single-day registration as well, which is good news to me because it's pretty expensive to attend in its entirety.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 6/3/19 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to attend but now I am not sure what with the wedding we have coming up that weekend. I would like to try to, though. I would not have time to help them out in any way, though. I did pay to renew my membership but I have never been to one of those quarterly lunches. Most of the time they take place during an event weekend when I am working, either that or going to a game myself. I have gotten the notices but I never met anyone from the local chapter yet.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 6/5/19 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really sucks for me is that while I'll be here in town & all that, the cost per day is just too much for me. I can't afford $179 for 1 day even though the sessions all look good and sound so interesting. I just had major work done on my car. If you know of any off-site get-together among the people attending or among the locals then please post about that. I would enjoy meeting other fans but just can't do this right now financially. Which is too bad because how often will the convention be held somewhere nearby where I don't need to pay for transportation and lodging.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/11/19 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ila Borders has been added to the Women in Baseball panel!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 6/25/19 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an article on the SABR page about the 1993 convention that was held in San Diego. Here is the link
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/26/19 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; I had read that earlier. Wonder if Cathy did? I have a bone to pick with the writer, though--Bobby Doerr is a native Angeleno.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/27/19 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read it. I did not know about SABR in 1993.

We will be leaving tomorrow for San Francisco but I am thinking about stopping by the Central Library tonight for the meet and greet.

I also just found out Steve Garvey will be speaking at the convention!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/2/19 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know both of you were busy with other things in your lives the past week but did anyone hear more about the convention? I talked to a friend in OC who attended and enjoyed it. He said the women in baseball panel was great!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/6/19 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been reading up a bit, on other baseball pages as well as my SABR email, and it was said to be a great success.

The Women in Baseball Committee has bestowed another honor on Rachel Robinson--that of the Lifetime Achievement Award named for Dorothy Seymour Mills. Congratulations, again, to Mrs. Robinson!''

And yes, Cathy, be still my beating heart but I did miss out on Popeye's appearance at SABR. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: