Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passings - 2019 Season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/19/19 6:32 pm    Post subject: Passings - 2019 Season Reply with quote

Hey, Cath, I just learned that Greg Booker died a couple of weeks back. Seems kind of low-key, given the only news I found about it was on the Union-Tribune site. Couldn't even locate an official report from MLB.com.

According to this article, Booker passed away on March 30 in North Carolina at age 58, following a battle with melanoma. Other than brief stints with Minnesota and San Francisco in 1989-90, Booker pitched primarily for the Padres (six-plus seasons of his eight-year career), including their 1984 NL championship team. Booker was also the son-in-law of Padres manager/GM Jack McKeon.

He also coached for the Padres from 1997-2003, including their 1998 championship team.

Unbeknownst to me, Booker had served as a scout in the Dodgers' organization prior to his death.

May he rest in peace.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/19/19 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace as well to former major league pitcher Scott Sanderson, who passed away at age 62 on April 11. The cause of death was unknown. Sanderson enjoyed a 19-year career spent mostly with the Expos and Cubs, and played briefly with the Athletics, Jints, White Sox, Angels and Yankees.

May he rest in peace.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 4/21/19 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I must have forgotten I did not post about Booker. Thank you for mentioning it. He was a part of both our World series teams. Nice guy, too.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/13/19 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly heartbreaking and tragic story I heard about last week--UNM RHP Jackson Weller was shot to death on May 4 in Albuquerque. Injured and not playing this season, he is now dead at 23...may he rest in peace.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 5/14/19 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is horrific. I read the articles about him and he seemed like an upstanding kid, too. My prayers are with his family.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/27/19 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Buckner has passed away of dementia at age 69. The 22-year veteran player (1969-1990), also a Bay Area native, died today in Vallejo, CA.

While he played for the Cubs, Angels and Royals at points in his career, it was with the Dodgers (1974 World Series) and Red Sox (1986 World Series) that he will mostly be remembered--in particular the booted play at first base in Game 6 of the 1986 Series. That W.S. was won by the Mets, as the Red Sox's then-68-year "curse" continued.

The Dodgers selected him out of Napa High in the 1968 first-year players draft, a draft that yielded several great careers and which was particularly fruitful for L.A. He played eight seasons apiece both there and in Chicago (traded for the ever-popular Rick Monday after the 1976 season), mostly as an outfielder.

Buckner retired with 2,715 hits and a .289 career BA, though his power potential was never really realized (174 total home runs). With the Cubs, he won the 1980 NL batting title.

Unfortunately, he was never able to find real "peace" with Red Sox fans following the 1986 World Series, as he received harassment and death threats in the ensuing years, until Boston won the 2004 World Series.

May he rest in true peace.

EDIT: I am including the full L.A. Times published obituary below, which was not available at the time of my original posting.

Bill Buckner, a Hitting Machine Known For a Fielding Error, Dies at 69
By ANDY MCCULLOUGH

Bill Buckner, a veteran of 22 Major League Baseball seasons who debuted with the Dodgers in 1969 and persevered after a calamitous fielding error in the 1986 World Series for the Boston Red Sox, died Monday. He was 69.

Buckner had been battling Lewy body dementia, according to a statement his wife, Jody Buckner, issued to ESPN.

The career of Buckner touched four decades. He played his final game for the Red Sox in 1990. He spent his first eight seasons with the Dodgers and eight more with the Chicago Cubs. He had more than 2,700 career hits, won the National League batting title in 1980 and made the All-Star team in 1981. But his legacy remains locked inside one moment, the 10th inning of the sixth game of the World Series against the New York Mets.

The Mets had already erased a two-run deficit on Oct. 25, 1986, when Mookie Wilson chopped a ground ball down the first-base line. The baseball rolled past Buckner’s glove and between his legs. The Mets scored the winning run. Two nights later, they won Game 7 and the World Series, extending Boston’s championship drought.

“Behind the bag!” Vin Scully cried on the television broadcast. “It gets through Buckner!”

The play became one of the most famous in baseball history. For Buckner, it became a moment of infamy he learned to live with, weathering discontent in Boston and a series of death threats. As the years passed, he often made appearances with Wilson. He declined to feel sorry for himself.

“Life is a lot of hard knocks,” Buckner told USA Today in 2016. “There are a lot worse things happening than losing a baseball game or making an error, so it puts things in perspective. You learn forgiveness, patience — all the things you have to do to survive.”

Buckner grew up in Napa, Calif. The Dodgers selected him in the second round of the 1968 draft and brought him to the majors a year later at 19. Buckner hit .289 during his time with the Dodgers. The team sent him to the Cubs in 1977 for a package that included Rick Monday.

The Dodgers released a statement Monday on Twitter: “The Dodgers are saddened to hear about the passing of Bill Buckner, who died this morning after battling a long illness. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Buckner family.”

It was in Chicago where Buckner flourished as a hitter. He showed a sublime skill for making contact; from 1977 to 1982, he averaged only 21 strikeouts a season. Buckner led the National League in doubles in 1981 and 1983.

A couple of months into the 1984 season, the Cubs dealt Buckner to the Red Sox for future Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley and Mike Brumley. Two years later, he etched his name into an unfortunate place in Red Sox lore.

"I was saddened to learn about Bill's death,” Wilson said in a statement. “We had developed a friendship that lasted well over 30 years. I felt badly for some of the things he went through. Bill was a great, great baseball player whose legacy should not be defined by one play.”

In the aftermath of the error, the particulars were obscured. Buckner was playing on weary, damaged, 36-year-old legs. Then-Boston manager John McNamara had neglected to replace Buckner in the field with Dave Stapleton, as he had earlier in the series. And the Red Sox were only in this position because their pitchers had melted down, with Bob Stanley uncorking a game-tying wild pitch moments earlier.

No matter. It was Buckner who bore the brunt of the criticism. The Red Sox released him midway through the 1987 season. He spent time with the Angels and the Kansas City Royals before finishing his career in Boston.

After the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004, the city learned to practice forgiveness. Buckner threw out the first pitch before the home opener in 2008, after the Red Sox won another title.

“In my heart, I had to forgive the media for what they put me and my family through,” Buckner said after he made his pitch at Fenway Park. “I’ve done that. I’m over that. I just try to think of the positives, the happy things, the friendships.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 6/2/19 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/27/19 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt so bad for him that he really had to put up with a lot. If the Red Sox had not broken their curse they probably would still hold a grudge against him! Good player - I remember him from when he first came up with your Dodgers.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 5/28/19 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was barely born when he was traded to the Cubs but I'm sure if you guys were watching last night's Dodgers game on ESPN, Rick Sutcliffe reminded us that Rick Monday is the guy he was traded for. And Dodger fans love Rick Monday. Yes, I feel badly someone would have to move because they were getting death threats. Not only how could you take the harassment but how could you feel safe? I think that's a case of fans taking things way too far. I remember that Game 6 and thinking how bad I felt for him. He seemed like a very decent person as well as a good player. I also don't think he should blame the media for putting him through that - they were only part of it, the people threatening his life and family were fans, not media. It wasn't his fault they lost the World series but it's going to look bigger than life if your team has a long "curse" running and a huge error is made on the big stage. It was a huge story because the Mets came back and won not just that game but the next one too. The tide turned. It's something you might not ever see again in such a tense moment late in the series.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/1/19 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Just found out that Tyler Skaggs has died at age 27. Sad

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/1/19 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this on the radio driving home! That is just devastating news.

MLB has cancelled the Angels-Rangers game tonight.

Official statement on his passing - linked here

Statements from many around Major League Baseball - linked here
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/2/19 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it on PMS yesterday and I almost drove off the road in Leucadia!

I feel bad for his wife, they were married such a short time. And, his mom is so well known, and she must be devastated.

My brothers went to the stadium today. There were hordes of fans there leaving things in memory. How heartbreaking. Crying or Very sad

Rest in peace to Tyler.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/11/19 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former MLB pitcher and controversial writer Jim Bouton has passed away at age 80.

Rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/11/19 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sure was controversial in his day. I definitely remember him more for writing that book than I do about him pitching.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/13/19 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One-time Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Glenn Mickens has passed away at age 88 of pneumonia. He was only up for a "cup of coffee" in 1953 (with a forgettable career ERA of 11.37), but followed his brief stint in MLB with a longer career in Japanese baseball, and then served as an assistant coach at his alma mater, UCLA, for 25 years.

The L.A. native, who also attended Fremont High, died on July 9 in Hawaii.

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/18/19 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "new" passings this time, but check out this mural tribute to Tyler near Samohi.

Quote:
"A bunch of Tyler's former teammates and opponents came together to donate the paint and the Santa Monica Police Department and a local nonprofit helped out a ton too. Both Tyler and I wore No. 11 when we pitched at Santa Monica, and his mom Debbie was the softball coach," (artist Jonas Never) added.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/18/19 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nicely done - would like to see it in person someday.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/18/19 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I was wrong! I wrote earlier today, "no new passings..." and then later I learned that former Red Sox player Elijah "Pumpsie" Green has died at the age of 85. Green was significant for being the player to break the color barrier for Boston, which was the last MLB team to integrate.

From NPR.com:

Quote:
Green made his major league debut in 1959, some 12 years after Jackie Robinson played his first game with the Brooklyn Dodgers. It happened after the Red Sox were forced to integrate by a government agency, and after Green endured a humiliating spring training period. Walter Carrington, who led the investigation that pushed the Red Sox to change, described the spring training in a piece for NPR member station WBUR:

"Unlike other major league clubs, the Sox did not insist that Green be allowed to stay in the same hotels as the rest of his teammates. He had to secure his own lodging, often miles away. He traveled through Texas with the Chicago Cubs, their barnstorming partners, who — unlike Boston — refused to bow to Southern segregationist traditions.

"Then, at the end of spring training, the Red Sox sent Green back to the minor leagues, despite sportswriters' general praise of his performance. It was an outrage."

Those last two paragraphs contain information I didn't previously know.

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/30/19 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get back to updating on passings shortly.

Fallen Angel Tyler Skaggs' autopsy has revealed that a mixture of opioids and alcohol led to his death. I was afraid it would be something like this. Sad

Also, one of the original New York Mets has passed away. LHP Al Jackson died on August 19 at age 83. No cause of death was given.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 9/10/19 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 8/31/19 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace to all who have passed.

As for Tyler, I think we were all hoping it was something more along natural causes (like maybe he had a bad heart, etc.?). Though I was not entirely surprised to find out opioids were involved because of all the pain and injuries he had had the last couple of years. I am just glad if it had to do with drugs or alcohol he did not take anyone else with him or harm anyone else. He just seems like the kind who was very responsible but maybe did not take good enough care of himself. It is so very sad. Crying or Very sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/4/19 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace to Tigers catching prospect Chace Numata, who passed away of injuries suffered while skateboarding at the tender age of 27. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 9/10/19 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/6/19 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was heartbreaking news. Rest in peace and paddle out!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/7/19 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Cardinal Chris Duncan passed away on Friday, of brain cancer--at age 38. Sad

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Duncan battled glioblastoma, a form of brain cancer, for years before his passing. He was the son of former Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan and brother of Shelley Duncan, who played seven years as a Major Leaguer. Duncan’s mother, Jeanine, also died from glioblastoma in 2013.

Chris is also survived by his wife, Amy.

May he rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 9/10/19 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 9/9/19 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's with his mom again! My prayers are with their family.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/11/19 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those 2006 Cardinals very well. They beat us in the NLDS before winning the World series. With Diego roots I have always liked Dave Duncan, and I feel really badly for the family now.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/21/19 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I really have a lot more catching up to do! This thread expires in less than two weeks. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/28/19 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former major league umpire Chuck Meriwether passed away at age 63 on Saturday. The cause of death was cancer.

His 18-year career as an ump began in 1987, followed by nine years as a umpiring supervisor.

Rest in peace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/31/19 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace, Ron Fairly. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 10/31/19 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beloved Dodger and he was a favorite of my father! I never saw him play but I know he was steady for those Dodgers of his era. Rest in blue heaven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: