Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angels 2019 - A New Era Begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/20/19 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in...with a sweep of the Blue Jays, the Angels have jumped to over .500 for the first time since April 13, now at 38-37.

And in Tuesday's game, give it up for Angels starting pitcher Tyler Skaggs, who pitched seven strong innings for the win. For how long do we get the Skaggs of old back?
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/21/19 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the long-awaited return of Albert Pujols to St. Louis will take place tonight as the Angels open a series at Busch Stadium.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/22/19 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched some of that, too. He was very well received. And he homered against them today. But the Angels lost both games.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 6/25/19 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked in his first at bat in St. Louis, how he had some camaraderie with Yadi Molina.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/27/19 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Reds in Anaheim this week, Yasiel has now made his second return to Socal this season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/2/19 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team must be in shock now. I don't know how you play games under such heavy hearts.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/2/19 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I considered posting this in the "Passings" thread, but I believe it belongs here more--Angels will never be the same.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/3/19 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And appropriately, following a moment of silence at Globe Life Field, the Halos won last night's game, 9-4.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 7/8/19 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/6/19 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Angels have now won three of their last four while grieving deeply. They took two of three from the Rangers and moved on to Houston, where they prevailed in the series opener last night.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 7/8/19 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 7/6/19 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad And that's the worst way to bring a team together is to suffer a loss like that. I felt so bad for Andrew Heaney, he had tears in his eyes talking about it. It's good to know Brad Ausmus can guide them through all their sadness.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/8/19 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even at the All-Star break, the Angels sport a record of one game under .500--45-46, in fourth place and 12.5 games out of first place in the AL West. After a series-opening win in Houston, they proceeded to drop the next two games over the weekend.

Mike Trout's 28th bomb of the season, hit in yesterday's loss to the Astros at Minute Maid Park, broke the franchise record for pre-AS break home runs by a single player.

The Halos will open up a homestand following the break, in which they host both the Mariners and Astros.

Then there are the injury issues. In the Texas series, Angels All-Star Tommy La Stella and Brian Goodwin were hurt by a foul ball and HBP, respectively. Both have been placed on the IL.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
La Stella’s injury, a fractured right tibia, is the more serious of the two and will likely keep him out 8-10 weeks. La Stella had also been enjoying a career year thus far, batting .300 with 16 homers and an .848 OPS in 78 games.

...In the sixth inning Tuesday, La Stella fouled a pitch off the top of his shin, just under his kneecap, and immediately dropped to the dirt. He had to be helped off the field.

Goodwin played centerfield Tuesday until he was hit in the right wrist by a pitch from Jesse Biddle in the seventh inning. Medical exams Wednesday showed no fractures, though, so he could be ready to return quickly.

...To replace La Stella and Goodwin, the Angels called up Matt Thaiss and Jarrett Parker from Triple-A Salt Lake on Wednesday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/12/19 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the L.A. Times:

"Loss of Tyler Skaggs Tough for Angels On the Field As Well As Off in the Second Half"

By MARIA TORRES
JUL 11, 2019 | 4:40 PM

Mike Trout is on a tear, making a statement with both bat and glove during what could be a third MVP season. Shohei Ohtani is taking advantage of his batting only campaign, showcasing prodigious power and sparking a lively offense.

But when the Angels return home from the All-Star break Friday to begin a series against the Seattle Mariners, they will still be reeling from the sudden death of a teammate and clubhouse leader. The loss of Tyler Skaggs, who was 27 when he was found unresponsive in his hotel room July 1, will color the remainder of a season in which the Angels are on the outskirts of a playoff chase.

Skaggs was the Angels’ most valuable starter this season, effective enough to account for 1.7 wins above replacement. Rookie Griffin Canning turned in the second-most valuable performance, with a 0.7 WAR in three fewer starts.

The Angels struggled to reach .500 with Skaggs. They labored to stay above the mark once they did. Other teams capitalized: as the Angels went 18-16 from June 1 to July 7, the Oakland Athletics won 21 games and surged into third place in the wild card standings. The Houston Astros continued to separate themselves from the rest of the American League West and the Texas Rangers maintained their surprising pace.

The Angels’ task of ending their four-year postseason drought is now more difficult. Although they showed emotional fortitude and rebounded by winning three of four games in the wake of Skaggs’ passing, the Angels begin the second half with a 45-46 record, 12-1/2 games out of first in the division. They also lag behind five teams in the wild card standings, a race that figures to be their only shot at the playoffs.

“We got hit in the face, we lost one of our brothers, and you have two choices,” said catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who sustained a concussion and nose fracture in a home-plate collision Sunday and will be sidelined for an undetermined period. “You can either lay down and feel sorry for yourself, or you can stand up and do something about it. We’re going to do something about it.”

Making up territory in the playoff hunt will be challenging, but the rest of July might provide the best opportunity to overcome a mediocre first half. The Angels play 13 of their next 19 games against the Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles and Detroit Tigers. Each team is on pace to lose more than 90 games.

But the Angels’ starting pitching, the team’s most prominent weakness before Skaggs’ passing, must stabilize first. Their 5.31 ERA is fourth-highest in the major leagues, worse than the Kansas City Royals and Orioles, two of the three teams that lost more than 100 games a season ago.

J. C. Ramirez, who was 11-10 in 24 starts in 2017, is in the final stages of Tommy John surgery rehab. A rebound from Matt Harvey, the one-time New York Mets ace who had a 7.50 ERA in 10 starts this season before an upper back strain sent him to the injured list, could be key. Harvey will start Saturday for the Angels for the first time since May 23. He allowed 13 earned runs in 10 innings over three rehab outings but saw a slight uptick in his fastball velocity during his last start.

The bullpen has been overworked but effective and the offense has done its part to help mask the rotation’s ineffectiveness. Ohtani emerged from a languid start to assemble a 1.082 on-base-plus-slugging percentage since June 1. Trout also dominated in that span, his 1.175 OPS leading all batters with more than 80 plate appearances. Outfielder Justin Upton produced 0.3 WAR in his first 14 games off the injured list.

The Angels will be without first-time All-Star Tommy La Stella, who fouled a ball off his shin and fractured his tibia last week, for at least eight weeks. But the emergence of rookie Luis Rengifo, a switch-hitter batting .328 with five doubles and two home runs in his last 20 games, and continued steadiness from David Fletcher should help cushion the blow.

And the team’s ability to score should help keep the Angels afloat as they solve their struggles on the mound.

Whether it’s enough to push them into contention remains to be seen.

“We still have the possibility of reaching the postseason,” Ohtani told Japanese reporters last week. “The season won’t wait for us. But when the season is over, I would like to take a championship ring to [Skaggs’] grave site.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ohtani-san, it won't happen, but that thought brought a tear to my eye.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 7/12/19 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Skaggs' mom Debbie threw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Angels-Mariners game tonight, their first home game since he passed away.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/13/19 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what a tribute last night was! A combined no-hitter (Taylor Cole and Felix Pena), an offensive assault (6 RBI from Mike Trout in a 13-0 victory), and the team honoring their fallen teammate, all players wearing No. 45.

It's amazing what an emotionally-driven team can do, but a sad thought, about what it took to get them there. The Mariners could only sit back and take it, and while not being a very good team this year--well, on this night they looked even worse.

And today would have been Tyler's 28th birthday. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/15/19 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my, that was quite a performance - I had switched over from our game and got to see most of the Angels game that night. They are letting their emotion carry them and channeling it in a good way.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/16/19 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Angels continue to inspire me and others in my family. Everyone in my family was emotional over that no hitter. I hope Tyler's spirit stays with them the rest of the season.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/16/19 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Halos just finished off the Astros, 7-2, in Anaheim, for their second consecutive victory over Houston.

Helene Elliott's column, which appeared earlier today in the L.A. Times, touched my heart so much--so well-written, and perfectly capturing the healing process:

"Angels Search for Familiarity and Hope Following Tyler Skaggs’ Death"

By HELENE ELLIOTT
JULY 15, 2019 11:19 PM

The rhythms of the game pulled them back in and took hold again Monday, and for that small gift, the Angels were grateful.

They gladly gave in to the tug exerted by the familiar and routine, to playing catch under a cloudless blue sky and hearing the reassuring pop of the ball as it smacked into leather gloves, to chatting as they took batting practice and smiling as they hadn’t allowed themselves to smile since pitcher Tyler Skaggs’ death July 1 hurled them into an unscripted world of mourning and aching loss.

They are not back to normal. “No. Never,” catcher Dustin Garneau said with a passionate certainty that was echoed by his teammates.

But the music in the clubhouse was a little louder Monday than it was before the game Friday, when the Angels honored Skaggs in a moving tribute and later felt his spirit feeding theirs while they pulled off an astounding combined no-hitter, all while wearing replicas of Skaggs’ jersey. Players were no longer speaking in notably hushed tones before the game Monday. Many wore T-shirts with Skaggs’ No. 45 on the back and his favorite phrase, “We’re Nasty” on the front. Sometimes they passed his locker stall, which will be kept intact the rest of the season.

“We see his locker over there every day and I feel like there’s times I do look over there and I still see him. I can see what he’s wearing still,” reliever Justin Anderson said before the Angels rallied for a 9-6 victory over the American League West-leading Houston Astros at Angel Stadium.

“I don’t know if ‘normal’ is the right word. I don’t know if I can give you a word right now, off the top of my head or pinpoint it. But I think just us knowing that he is still here with us, and we feel his presence still, I think that’s what rejuvenates us and helps bring us to life a little bit. We think about the things he would say to encourage us or the other positive words he would say throughout the day. I think that’s the best way to describe it.”

They hoped the emotions that lifted them to a sweep of the sub-.500 Seattle Mariners last weekend would energize them against Houston as they continued a longshot pursuit of the second wild-card berth. It made perfect sense to Anderson that what he called “a magical night, a beautiful night” in the no-hitter, a businesslike win Saturday and a comeback Sunday could create “a big momentum shift” for a team that urgently needed one. Stranger things have happened.

And strange things happened again Monday, when the Angels overcame pitcher Griffin Canning’s early wildness and relentlessly chipped away at the Astros’ no-longer-formidable pitching staff. Is this what the Angels can do and who they can be, or was their comeback merely a temporary product of the surging emotions they’ve been riding? They have a lot of ground to make up and a lot of emotional healing to do, but the no-hitter Friday seemed impossible too.

Their first step, no matter what, is to throw themselves back into their old rhythms and habits and let recovery happen naturally, as much as it can.

“I don’t know if we’re going to be healed but getting back to our routines definitely helps,” infielder David Fletcher said.

The sooner they can immerse themselves in the sights and sounds that haven’t changed, even though so much else has changed so terribly for them, the better off they will be.

“Guys are trying to do that as quick as possible, so they can get back into their routines and feel, I don’t want to say normal, but back at least close to normal,” Garneau said. “The more you can dive into your routines, the more that baseball activities take your mind off it, for sure, and that helps guys out that way.”

Manager Brad Ausmus believes that will happen, though maybe not quickly.

“The baseball schedule and routine will slowly aid in the healing process,” he said, acknowledging there’s no single, defined path to get there. “It’s a process and the process goes at different rates for different people.”

That process goes beyond individual steps to depend on collective efforts.

“The guys do a good job coming in the clubhouse every day with the right attitude to play the game,” infielder Matt Thaiss said.

Outfielder Michael Hermosillo, called up from Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday while Mike Trout underwent an MRI exam that found a small right calf strain, noticed the team’s determination to regain its emotional direction.

“It’s good that everyone’s been positive and really picked up where Tyler left off,” Hermosillo said.

He was with his teammates in Tacoma, Wash., when they learned of Skaggs’ death and he thought back to Skaggs’ kindness.

“It’s just super-sad, honestly,” Hermosillo said. “Tyler was really cool to me. I felt like he was really good to the younger guys, really made you feel good from the get-go, being in the locker room. I’m definitely going to miss him a lot. I definitely appreciate everything he did for me. He had a big impact on me, for sure.”

Skaggs’ impact on the Angels is still being felt. Their heartbreak over his death hasn’t healed, but they’re embracing the rhythms of the game and the game is warmly returning that embrace.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/18/19 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Astros walloped them last night but it was a nice run, and they can always start another one.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/25/19 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to see the Angels have stayed over .500 but I seriously doubt they will make the playoffs. I could be wrong but they are 4 games out of the wild card and yes anything can happen in the next 2 months. And they are 11.5 games behind the Astros, in third place.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/26/19 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime in August, once the playoff picture comes into clearer focus, I'll start a card about the wild card races.

Over the past week while I was gone, the Halos were quite busy with roster moves. LHP Dillon Peters has been optioned and infielder Taylor Ward recalled, while LHP Andrew Heaney has been placed on the IL with shoulder inflammation. RHP Jaime Barria was also recalled from Triple A.

While I certainly understand the Angels' emotionally-driven play of late, I can't say I like losing a Freeway Series to a team buoyed by grief. But, credit due. Anaheim swept all four from the Dodgers this year, including two at Dodger Stadium this week--credit the bat and arm of Kole Calhoun. Calhoun homered, doubled twice and threw out the tying run at home plate in the ninth inning of the first game, stayed hot with a 3-for-4 performance the following night. That brief interleague set came on the heels of a series win over the Mariners in Seattle last weekend.

They're back in Anaheim for four against the Orioles this weekend, and lost the first game of that set last night in a wild extra innings contest.

From angels.com:

Quote:
ANAHEIM -- It was one of the crazier games in the 54-year history of Angel Stadium that saw the Angels and Orioles combine to use 20 pitchers in a 16-inning affair, including a position player picking up a save for the first time since it became a stat in 1969.

But most importantly for the Angels, it ended with an incredibly tough 10-8 loss to the lowly Orioles in the series opener that began on Thursday night and spilled over into Friday morning. A combined 571 pitches were thrown in a six-hour, 19-minute game that didn’t end until after 1 a.m. PT when Baltimore center fielder Stevie Wilkerson got the save with a 1-2-3 16th.

The Angels’ pitching plans were spoiled as a result of using Friday’s scheduled starter Griffin Canning, while Mike Trout nearly won the game with a two-run double in the 15th that saw the Angels rally back from a three-run deficit. David Fletcher was called out at home on the play on a close call that was reviewed but ultimately stood.

“You never want to go through your entire bullpen, tomorrow’s starter, have that play at the plate where, quite frankly, I thought he was safe after looking at it a second time and end up losing the game,” Angels manager Brad Ausmus said.

Here’s a look at the key moments in the loss and what it means for the Angels going forward:

The Angels tried to stay away from Canning by using left-hander Adalberto Mejia for three innings and 47 pitches in extra innings. But with the Angels failing to score in five straight innings after tying the game in the ninth on a homer from defensive replacement Brian Goodwin, they were forced to go to Canning with reliever Noe Ramirez unavailable due to illness.

Canning, however, gave up three runs in the 15th, keyed by a two-run single from Jace Peterson that hit off first baseman Albert Pujols' glove with two outs. Hanser Alberto followed with an RBI single to give the Orioles an insurance run that loomed large.

Canning threw 24 pitches in that inning and came back out for the 16th after the Angels came back to tie it. But Canning surrendered a go-ahead two-run homer to Jonathan Villar with two outs and slumped behind the mound as it cleared the right-field fence.

"That's a tough situation to come in at one in the morning for the starter the next day, who's mentally prepared to pitch the next day for us," said catcher Kevan Smith. "We were obviously going for that win, and it's frustrating how it ended up. I thought he did a good job."

Canning threw 42 pitches, which hurts an already thin rotation. The Angels will now be forced to call up pitching for Friday, while Canning might not be available on Saturday either. Nick Tropeano is a candidate to be recalled to start Friday, but Ausmus said they’re still not sure what they’ll do.

Making things even more complicated for the Angels, Cam Bedrosian, Hansel Robles, Taylor Cole and Mejia each pitched for a third straight day, which makes them unavailable for Friday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 7/29/19 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it only took them so far, because they were in danger of being swept 4 games at home by the Orioles! I guess the Os caught fire fast. They scored 27 runs off Angels pitching in the first 3 games! If it wasn't for Matt Thaiss' walk off home run yesterday it would have been an even more embarrassing weekend.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/31/19 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect it this soon, but catcher Jonathan Lucroy has been activated from the IL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/4/19 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been a longshot to make the playoffs but I am pretty sure the Angels are killing their chances after a couple of good weeks. They just are not good enough, and the wild card contenders made themselves better with trades last week.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/7/19 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they still have Mike Trout. Smile

But yeah, losing three of four to the woeful Orioles, and then two of three to the woeful Tigers--way to kill a good buzz. That's 2-6 on the homestand, and they're now on the road and further stumbling with a sweep in Cleveland.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 8/16/19 12:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/7/19 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 28th birthday to Mike Trout! I'm glad the Angels have you locked up but I hope they surround you with the right players to make them seriously contend again.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/14/19 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Angels are home now after losing six straight on the road, going 0-for-Ohio (swept by both the Indians and Reds), then splitting four games at Fenway Park against the disappointing defending world champion Red Sox.

It's going to be a looooong last six weeks.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 8/16/19 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/16/19 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Trout blasted home run #40 of the season yesterday at Angel Stadium, not long after his Socal counterpart (Cody) accomplished the feat across the country in Miami. Nice to have two exciting Socal players racking up the round-trippers.

The White Sox are in Anaheim for four games, in a series that began with last night's 8-7 Angels win. Hometown boy Patrick Sandoval will get his first Angel Stadium start in tonight's game. The homestand opened with the Halos losing two of three to the Pirates.

They'll head out on the road this coming week with a seven-game road trip to Texas--four against the Rangers and three facing the Astros.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/23/19 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a rough week for the Angels and the writing is all over the wall, if it wasn't already.

They returned to Texas for the first time since Tyler Skaggs was found dead, and they lost the series.

They're now in Houston for the weekend.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 8/24/19 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something that made me smile on another baseball page - someone wrote, "Whatever happened with the Angels this year is not Mike Scioscia's fault." Razz
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 8/31/19 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not checked in on how the Angels were doing since they got swept in Houston last weekend. Like my Padres, they are just playing out the season and looking at who might make an impact next year. They are playing the Red Sox at home now and lost the first game. I am sure earlier in the season most people thought this series would have some playoffs implications for both teams. Even last week when they lost 3 of the 4 games they played in Texas did you notice the only one they won was the make-up game from the postponed July 1 game? That seemed fitting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: