Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SABR Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 1/25/12 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still going to find some time to look into the Des Moines chapter of the SABR. I will let you all know what I find out.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 1/30/12 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Field Of Dreams SABR group in Des Moines online. There are some good articles to read and I found out there are 6 Iowa born players in the Hall of Fame Smile

When I have time I am going to read more of the posts and articles. Not sure about joining but it will be a good source of information for baseball around Iowa.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/31/12 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we know Bob Feller, and then there's Cap Anson, but and I'm sure you can name the other four without looking them up, right? I know there's a beloved old Dodger Very Happy but beyond that, I'm stumped. Maybe this is a good one for Baseball IQ!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 1/31/12 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember one other name than you've listed but I won't mention it in case someone wants to guess at the other four. I'm afraid I'd have to look the other 3 up that I don't remember as they were names I didn't recognize.

It would be a great question for Baseball IQ Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/31/12 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it must be the beloved old Dodger.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 1/31/12 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he was Smile The other three are anyone's guess and even I would have to look them up again.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/31/12 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back a few posts here.

Quote:
I've heard there is another classic ballpark trip being organized for this year for those who missed it then, and part of it will focus on the Wrigley film history. I'd be very interested in that. Not sure if it's SABR or Baseball Reliquary that's behind planning it.

That would be something to check into and see if they offer it again as it would be a good thing for Gil Hodges fan on her trip. I read about the one from the convention. The Wrigley history is really interesting and like Ebbets Field it's nostalgic and sentimental to think back to those days. And I would guess she probably does not have time to stop and get some Cubs souvenirs for her brothers from Avalon.

About the other Hall of fame players from Iowa:

I will ask my cousins, lol. I bet they don't even know.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 1/31/12 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if your cousins know the Iowa Hall of Fame players. I was happy to know there were 6 Exclamation Laughing

I need to start making a list of some things to see when we are out there. I know Sunnyblue was going to suggest a couple of baseball related things and if DB has any suggestions that would be great also Smile

We may have an afternoon in San Diego before the Padres game so if anyone (Forloveofthegame?) has any suggestions of a couple of places to visit there that would be great also.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/1/12 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know Sunnyblue was going to suggest a couple of baseball related things

She already did (unless there is more she had to say that I didn't know about)...but as far as San Diego, it has a million things to do; I'm just not sure if any one of them would fit into just a couple of hours of an afternoon, though. This city is a tourist's paradise--but too much to cram into that little time.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 2/1/12 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She did mention a couple on Hollywood Blvd. I was very tired when I got online last night. I looked back on her post because I remembered she'd mentioned Hollywood Blvd and wrote down the street numbers on my list.

You are right about there being so much to do and so little time. I will just have to take another trip out there the following summer or the summer after that.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/1/12 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Wrigley history is really interesting and like Ebbets Field it's nostalgic and sentimental to think back to those days. And I would guess she probably does not have time to stop and get some Cubs souvenirs for her brothers from Avalon.

Ah, good point. I doubt it will be offered, though. It seems they do that once a year or so.

Bet that would mean a lot to her brothers if she took some pictures there.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/1/12 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bet that would mean a lot to her brothers if she took some pictures there.

I bet it would! Something she most likely will not have time to do.

Quote:
This city is a tourist's paradise--but too much to cram into that little time.

Well I would have to agree with that. I guess we should see where she ends up staying while she's here, and then go from there.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 2/1/12 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I didn't have to scrunch in so much in the few days we are there. Most of all I want to meet you and DB and go to the baseball games. Those are the most important things to me Very Happy I can always make plans to come back out there myself at another time and see more and meet Sunnyblue also Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 10/26/13 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back on this thread, I haven't posted in it in over a year. Interesting to read GilHodgesFan's comments. Rolling Eyes

In any case...

Last month the new San Diego Central Public Library opened after a long-delayed wait (thanks for the reminder on this, Cathy) Smile and aside from being a modernized structure that towers over our beautiful city with breathtaking views from all angles, its best feature is the unprecedented SABR research room on the eighth floor. This exhibit drew me in and did just what I thought it would, held me captive for hours on both my first and second visit. How fitting that it's only a stone's throw from Petco Park, too. Thanks to the Ted Williams chapter of SABR for providing the best baseball collection west of Cooperstown!

Here's an article about it from sabr.org.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/28/13 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it, and the photo gallery in this article. I could spend a whole day in that room sometime, I think!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/17/14 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll update a little more on recent donations to the library later.

For now, though, just wanted to post about the SABR conference in Phoenix. Here's a report from BA.com.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 3/18/14 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Bloom wrote about this, too, with some pretty good scenarios they gave. Column from mlb.com about it
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/14/16 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting SABR project in conjunction with MLB.com.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/25/20 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since this thread was posted in, but January 25 is SABR Day across the nation.

Of course, I'll be at Chavez Ravine, so won't be participating in any of the local festivities.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 1/29/20 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates, Linda. I am not sure how anyone else feels, but I really do not find the sabermetrics conference very enticing. Of course I am looking forward to a trip to Arizona in a few weeks but while I am sure there is something interesting to be discussed and some good baseball folks to meet, I just do not get too much into that. To me it is like micro managing. It may be what they rely on these days and it might work for some teams if they have the right players assembled and the right scouts and talent evaluators. But I would not spend money on attending something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: