Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Under Blue Skies - January 25, 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 1/29/20 10:25 pm    Post subject: Under Blue Skies - January 25, 2020 Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back. What an emotional week. My dad's would-be 90th birthday, Justin turned 30, the FanFest, more discussion about sign-stealing, and then...Kobe.

Then CC baseball starting this week, with one team missing their coach who lost his life in the same helicopter accident.

Almost too much to take in just a few days' time.

But I'm going to get to each one of them, thread by thread.

Let's start with FanFest 2020 at Dodger Stadium!

On this very same field…from autumn to winter.

Warm rays, cool breezes, good friends, Dodgers players and coaches, and Dodger Stadium itself. Not to mention a grilled Dodger Dog® and cold beer! Saturday, January 25 provided the opportunity for a simply sublime experience which I cherish participating in every year—Dodger Stadium’s annual Fan Fest. It comes at the perfect point of the offseason, long before pitchers and catchers report, but with three weeks having elapsed since the flip of the calendar into the new year.

And this one had a different "feel" to it, having been moved outside of the stadium itself into the parking lot, thanks to offseason construction at Chavez Ravine in an attempt to "dress it up" before the 2020 All Star Game is played this July.

This year, I knew my time was limited given that I had to return to San Diego on a mid-afternoon train for a Saturday evening family event. So my time at Dodger Stadium was much shorter than it usually is. So, I don't have much to report other than that the player interviews on the main stage centered around a couple of themes--returning to the playoffs in an attempt to win another World Series (broken record!--going back to 2013), and an assessment of the revelations surrounding the 2017 World Series and sign-stealing scandal. Comments will be addressed in the thread about that topic.

I say it every year, and I'll say it again--props to the Dodgers for keeping this annual event free for families with many fans, although charity proceeds are distributed to the Dodgers Dream Foundation from the “VIP fan experiences” or autograph sessions (none of which I’ve ever taken part in, but I appreciate those who do). I know how many people on limited budgets are grateful for this experience being open to them all every January. And I love that it’s held here, at our home away from home, rather than indoors and off-site somewhere. It’s almost enough to get a taste of what being back at the ballpark is like, almost enough even to hear Dieter on the organ, to hear the cheers of the crowd on hand.

As I checked the train schedule and realized it was time to leave, it was hard to do so. Even though I don't like the format of the event taking place in the parking lot outside the stadium, I know that's only for this one year.

Walking down the steep incline at the end of the parking lot, I inhaled deeply as the scent of honeysuckle wafted through the air, and took note of the flitting of several butterflies back and forth. And as I departed Chavez Ravine through the Sunset exit, it’s all I could do to call back over my shoulder silently, “Bye for now, I’ll see you in two months.”

What winter blahs? The thought of any season without baseball is just too much to bear.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 2/1/20 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report but I claim you plagiarized some of it from last year. Wink
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 2/2/20 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully captured as usual. I'm sorry I was unable to go this year. But next year it will be back down on the field and I'm already anxious to see the upgrades this season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: