Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can We Do This Over?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 7/31/20 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have heard from fans of any team is about how harsh that suspension was.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/1/20 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players of many teams have rallied around Joe.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/12/20 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME TO L.A., ASTERISKS!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 9/12/20 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I love it too!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/15/20 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know even if we couldn't be there to see it, this blog post lists what songs were played to jab the Asterisks at Dodger Stadium. "Bow Down" was one of my favorites. Here's the list.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/7/20 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Astros playing in the ALDS at Dodger Stadium, it only seems fair that Dodger fans have some say in reminding them of the gross injustice of the 2017 World Series. Even stadium music staff have continued relentlessly to impart the message that the team from Houston is not welcome in L.A., regardless of neutral sites. It's still the Dodgers' home, even if they're out of town.

More about this from Sports Illustrated.

And, from the L.A. Times:

Column: Astros Could Break Dodgers’ Fans Hearts Again

By DYLAN HERNÁNDEZ, COLUMNIST
OCT. 5, 2020 8:03 PM

Carlos Correa touched home plate and pointed to the heavens, as if there was a higher power deranged enough to side with the Houston Astros. This was after cupping his hand by his ear as he rounded third base in the empty stadium.

Los Angeles should consider itself warned.

There is no justice. There is no karma. And the trash-talking, finger-pointing, tone-deaf Correa could soon be coming to prime-time.

Behind two home runs by baseball’s clown prince, the thieves from Houston stole a 10-5 victory from the Oakland Athletics in Game 1 of their American League Division Series.

Mercifully, the majority of Southern California was spared from watching Correa and his teammates celebrate on the visiting bench at Dodger Stadium as if it were 2017 again. With broadcasters prioritizing the series between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays, the Astros and "A"s were relegated to a 1 p.m. start.

Claiming two more victories over the Athletics and advancing to the AL Championship Series would change that. The Astros would be promoted to a later time slot, which could make them harder for Angelenos to avoid — or, depending on the perspective, easier to hate-watch.

Outside their ever-affable rent-a-manager, Dusty Baker, there’s nothing likeable about these Astros.

While they initially apologized for stealing signs during a 2017 season in which they defeated the Dodgers to win their only World Series in franchise history, they soon turned defensive. When Dodgers outfielder Cody Bellinger remarked that Jose Altuve stole an MVP award from Aaron Judge, Correa told him to “shut the f— up” because he was unfamiliar with the details of the Astros’ scheme. Never mind that Correa and the Astros refused to divulge specifics of how they cheated. Correa’s outburst was so outrageous that it offended even former Dodgers pitcher Yu Darvish, who is about as forgiving a soul as there is in the sport.

That side of Correa emerged again after a wild-card series in which the Astros defeated the Minnesota Twins, who finished the pandemic-shortened season with the AL’s second-best record.

“I know a lot of people are mad,” Correa told reporters. “I know a lot of people don’t want to see us here. But what are they going to say now?”

Well, they could say the Astros still deserve to be stripped of their World Series championship. Or they could point out how the Astros were a sub-.500 team in the pandemic-shortened regular season and wouldn’t be in these playoffs if the sport’s shamelessly greedy owners hadn’t expanded the postseason field.

A couple of days before the start of this division series, Astros outfielder Josh Reddick added to the banter.

Asked about the Dodgers fans who taunted them as their bus drove into Dodger Stadium for the first game of a two-game series last month, Reddick playfully replied, “I thought there’d be more. I was kind of disappointed. There wasn’t enough out there. I know I’m stirring that pot, but when I got here, I had my camera out, ready to record and see what was going on. I was kind of disappointed with the number that was out there.”

The Astros sounded as if they were embracing their roles as villains. But any misconceptions about what they overcame to reach this stage of the postseason was clarified by a leading authority on their mind-set: their manager.

Asked how the Astros responded to the widespread backlash in the wake of the scandal, Baker said, “I don’t know.”

He explained, “It’s hard to say how you handled it because there weren’t any fans in the stands.”

In other words, they were never truly punished, a reality that was obvious on Monday. As despised as they are in this market, there were no fans gathered outside of the exclusive hotel they are sharing with the "A"s. There were also no fans to disturb their morning commute to Dodger Stadium. Inside the ballpark, there were 11,000 cardboard cutouts of Dodgers fans, but they didn’t make any noise. If anything, the stadium sheltered the Astros from vitriol outside.

The welcoming environment offered the Astros a place to unlock their power. Fourth-inning home runs by Alex Bregman and Correa forced an early departure by Oakland starter Chris Bassitt. Correa homered again in the seventh inning.

Baker credited hitting coach Alex Cintron for the resurgence of Correa, who batted an underwhelming .264 with five home runs in the regular season. Correa now has 14 home runs in 53 postseason games.

“I love October baseball,” Correa said. “I want to be there. I want to be in tough spots.”

So get used to this. Prepare for the worst. The Astros are hitting like they did when they cheated. They could break this city’s heart again.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 10/8/20 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 10/8/20 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my. That would be something I never thought about, them using the home team clubhouse although it is obvious that they would have to, for the games in which they were the home team. Surprised
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 10/8/20 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They boasted on their Twitter feed that they were back at the stadium where special memories were made and had the 2017 World series! There is no remorse from them and they make us all sick!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/22/20 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it's important to bump this thread up once more. Rest in peace, 2020 Asterisks*! We will not forget!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: