Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Battle of SoCal in North Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 10/3/20 11:51 am    Post subject: The Battle of SoCal in North Texas Reply with quote

It gets underway on Tuesday. Go Dodgers! Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 10/4/20 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surely hope we can slow the Padres down. It will be tough because they've played us tough all year but I think it can be done again.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 10/4/20 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel confident my boys can be competitive! I am anxious, nervous & really excited.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/5/20 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a lot of respect between the two teams for each other--and there will be plenty of intensity.

Like you, Cathy, I'm nervous and excited. Because no matter how much you feel that way, the pressure is all on the Dodgers. The Padres can afford to be loose and know that they're not the eight-time division winners with a heavy burden on their shoulders to prove something. They can live loosely, be free swinging, and have a fun time, knowing that it would be a huge upset to beat their Socal rivals and anything about that would be icing on the cake.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/6/20 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is the way I should look at it. More is expected from the Dodgers but it would be super if we did not win, to just make it close and exciting.

Mike Clevinger is on the division series roster but Dinelson Lamet has been left off. Clevinger will start tonight. In case anyone is wondering, I really dislike his nickname "Sunshine" though.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/6/20 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why MadMax is hitting cleanup tonight is beyond me. Rolling Eyes And you know I rarely second guess Doc even though many people do that routinely.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/7/20 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*WHEW*

Where do I start? The Dodgers won Game 1, 5-1, even though Walker struggled early on and L.A. didn't have a hit until the sixth inning. The Padres had their own struggles, leaving the bases loaded, eventually scoring one run (the first of the game), and starting Mike Clevinger with a huge question mark attached. The cause for concern because more evident as he only threw 24 pitches before San Diego turned to their own bullpen.

KJ blew us all away with a 1-2-3 ninth inning, and that was that. My biggest worry was that the Padres were going to come in fresh off the high of their wild card series win, get some key hits, make an initial statement and assert their confidence. Game 1 is out of the way, and still anything can happen, but the way CK has pitched lately--and he'll be on the mound tonight for the Dodgers--I feel a little better about things now.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 10/7/20 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited until you posted before adding my thoughts, and I just was not in the mood to do that last night anyway.

I thought it was a big gamble to start Mike Clevinger. I know they are trying to go all out and do whatever it takes but I wish against even my own better judgment that they started Chris Paddack instead. It would have been just as much a roll of the dice and they might have gotten more innings even if they put themselves in the hole early instead of later. Or maybe even just say it would be a bullpen game right off because that is what it turned out to be. And right now we have no idea who is even going to start, tonight. And then there is the challenge of beating Clayton Kershaw which we were able to do, late in the game, a few weeks ago but which happens only once every few years. So we have our work cut out for us.

I was glad to see Ryan Weathers could be thrown into a game under pressure and still keep his poise, no pressure like making your debut in the playoffs, right?
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 10/7/20 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Weathers did pretty good. I first saw him running out there and thought "who is this chunky guy heading for the mound?" lol

Mad Max did score a run last night - so there's that. Walker had 95 pitches through 4 innings but he managed to escape a lot of problems. Took awhile before I could exhale, though. The bullpen was awesome especially Dustin May and Victor Gonzalez!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/8/20 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's the Dodgers being coy with their starting pitcher for today which is still "TBA", while the Padres have already announced. I'm guessing it'll be Tony Gonsolin. Adrian Morejon will take the mound for S.D.

Last night's Game 2 was just what one might expect from a near-meltdown. While CK pitched a fine game, the old KJ reared his ugly head and thankfully Doc got him out of there before too much damage was done. Bazooka was not an option, having pitched before KJ entered the game.

Cody robbed El Nino of a home run, and contributed one himself. Final score Dodgers 6, Padres 5, but too close for comfort.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 10/8/20 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I had hope toward the end because I know Joe Kelly can be gotten to but I have to give credit where it is due. The Dodgers did what they had to do, we fell a bit short. Now it will be do or die tonight. That catch by Cody was a killer. My heart leapt and fell so quickly.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 10/8/20 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out D-May is pitching! I'm sure they'll have him on a short leash and have other relievers ready by the 4th inning. He pitched in relief just 2 days ago.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/8/20 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thankfully that is over. And even though the Dodgers romped, when I expected a closer outcome, the Padres really did come at them hard until they ran out of arms. In fact, this was more or less a bullpen start for both teams, but the Dodgers got the better of it, 12-3. Congratulations to our boys for advancing, and in particular congratulations to Dodgers catcher Will Smith, who was 5-for-5 and at age 25, became the youngest player to record five hits in a postseason game.

Cathy, I expect to have some good battles with them again in coming seasons and I think the Padres' years of futility are gone for awhile.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 10/9/20 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take me a while to get over it even though the writing was on the wall before the game last night. I was hoping for 1 win for my team but even if not, keep the score respectable. They failed but they succeeded by being there after 14 years at home every playoffs.

Good luck to the Dodgers.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 10/9/20 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm sure hoping this will be the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: