Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stanislaw Franciszek Musial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 11/21/07 6:30 am    Post subject: Stanislaw Franciszek Musial Reply with quote

(This was formerly titled "is 87 years old today", but I'm making it the Stan Musial thread.)

I sure hope he makes it to 88 1/2 and gets deservedly honored at the 2009 All-Star Game.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/danoneill/story/E7F542CD8A2286F08625739A0014A7E0?OpenDocument

Quote:
Happy 87th to a genuine American hero
By Dan O'Neill
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/21/2007

On this day in 1920, in the grainy borough of Donora, Pa., a smoggy 20 miles south of Pittsburgh, Stanislaw Franciszek Musial was born. Precious few days in St. Louis history have been more significant.

Tom Brokaw wrote a best-selling book some years back titled "The Greatest Generation." Musial represents baseball's "Greatest Generation," and in many ways, the best of it.

There is no sense segueing into a diatribe about the glorious past. Comparing the quality of one generation of athlete with the next or suggesting one era of a game might be better than the next is like trying to place a penny in the corner of a round room.

But there is something special about Musial, always has been, something wholesome and trustworthy, something unpretentious and unassuming, something unrecoverable as his generation passes on. Advertisement

It's not just about baseball, it's about America. It's about what it used to value, how it used to act. It's about our goals, our dreams, our soul.

For those who don't know the story, Lukasz Musial, a Polish immigrant, didn't want his son Stan to pursue a baseball career. He wanted him to go to college, get an education, make something of himself.

Imagine a parent today trying to talk his son or daughter out of playing sports. In today's world, if you're a kid who can walk and chew gum simultaneously, you're playing sports whether you like it or not.

Musial's old-fashioned father relented, and a 17-year-old Stan signed a contract in 1938. He came along at the perfect time, a time when the country was about to be drop-kicked into a world war, a time when it required honor and reassurance.

He came along in the heartland, the farthest point west or south that Major League Baseball reached. He came along with fiber we could believe in, with character that never disappointed. He gave us an identity.

There was no question what America stood for in those days, and there was no one who embodied it more profoundly than "baseball's perfect warrior, baseball's perfect knight," as the plaque on Musial's statue outside of Busch Stadium reads. Musial played with an innocence and integrity that was unmistakable, a modesty and morality that never wavered. He was both baseball and apple pie.

Musial helped the Cardinals win three World Series championships in the 1940s, and he won three Most Valuable Player awards (1943, 1946 and 1948). In the post-war years, when we were full of optimism and vitality, he was an American billboard.

From 1946 - the year he returned from military service - to 1958, or from ages 25 to 37, Musial averaged better than .339, 28 home runs and 106 runs batted in.

It's almost silly to list statistics. Silly, because Musial's numbers and those of his contemporaries have been devalued in today's artificial environment. But what stands uncontested is Musial's reliability.

He batted .336 at home and .326 on the road. He batted .340 in day games, .320 at night. He had 1,815 hits at home, 1,815 on the road. In his major-league debut on Sept. 17, 1941, Musial had two hits. In his final game on Sept. 29, 1963, in St. Louis, Musial had two hits.

Geez, if only he had improved.

There is a photo of that final day in 1963 that shows Musial stepping to a bank of microphones, saying goodbye after 22 Cardinals summers, wearing a Boy Scout neckerchief. Who else could do so with a clear conscience?

Who else can speak to us without saying a word? Who else can crouch into that easy-chair stance, clasp an imaginary bat and make everything seem right with one unforgettable swing?

To coin a phrase, they don't make 'em like Stan Musial and his generation anymore. The recipe got lost a long time ago, when television turned baseball into a multibillion-dollar industry and turned its participants into rock stars.

Thankfully, Stan Musial was at his office Tuesday, one day before his 87th birthday. Thankfully, we still have heroes to remind us.

doneill@post-dispatch.com | 314-340-8186

Last edited by IlliniAmy on Sat 7/19/08 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/21/07 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday. I will have a big milestone to post next week. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 11/21/07 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday Stan-the- Man!

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
It was fans of the Dodgers who gave him his nickname. After several fine hitting performances at Ebbets Field, Brooklyn fans would see him come to bat, and say, "Uh-oh, here comes that man again. That man is back!" St. Louis sportswriter Bob Broeg picked up on this, and Musial was "Stan the Man" from that point on. Brooklyn fans never booed him at Ebbets Field - out of respect.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/22/07 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really, really surprised that with all the Cardinal fans we have here, Amy was the only one who posted on Stan the Man's birthday.

Crzblue...it seemed to me I remembered reading something else about the mutual respect between Musial and Dodger fans, somewhere, but could not remember what, or the source. So, I googled it and made an interesting observation: when searching using the terms "Stan the Man" and "Dodger fans", I got 10,700 returns! Didn't have time to read them all. Shocked

Now that it's over, though, I hope he had a great birthday! Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Thu 11/22/07 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this Cardinal fan was having a biopsy done so I think I am off the hook.

That was a great article Amy. Thanks for the post. I have a Cardinal fans book that has some really awesome personal stories about the Man. He is the true definition of what a person should be. Not just a baseball player. They don't make them like him any more unfortunately.

Happy Birthday Stan.
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Sat 7/19/08 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, awesome piece by Joe Posnanski on my guy Stan.

I didn't realize (or forgot) that he'd never been ejected from a game. Really neat story included here in regards to that.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/07/19/musial/
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/19/08 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I was afraid to open this thread--thanks for the explanation.

I was wondering about his health; didn't see him in N.Y. this week, and hope he makes it back to Cooperstown next weekend.

A few weeks ago my Hall of Fame newsletter made mention that it was the 50th anniversary of Stan Musial's 3000th career hit. You can check out the article here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 5/13/09 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Sat 7/19/08 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Damn, I was afraid to open this thread--thanks for the explanation.

I was wondering about his health; didn't see him in N.Y. this week, and hope he makes it back to Cooperstown next weekend.

Don't count on it. I don't think he's been well enough to travel for some time. A large portion of us Cardinal fans are holding our breath in desperation for him to be around to be honored in July, 2009.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 11/21/08 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess by my calculation Stan the Man has now reached 88.

Happy birthday!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Fri 11/21/08 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, or course, a Happy 39th to his fellow Donora native, Ken Griffey, Jr.
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 11/21/08 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Day to all an especially Stan the Man.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 11/21/08 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/21/09 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL--just looking at the last post made in this thread from last year.

I guess this makes Stan 88 now, and Junior turns 40 today.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 11/17/10 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that just a few days before his 89th birthday Musial will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom. You can read about this in the article here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/20/13 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again--twice in 24 hours--continuing my tradition of a special thread for each Hall of Famer who passes, Stan Musial died yesterday at age 92. May he rest in peace.

The other article Jpochard posted is here.

So, two in one day, but it seems to really put these deaths in due time into perspective, since I was at a paddle-out yesterday for a young man who passed away at age 21.

Crying or Very sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 1/20/13 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace.

Quote:
So, two in one day, but it seems to really put these deaths in due time into perspective, since I was at a paddle-out yesterday for a young man who passed away at age 21.

So sad! A life well lived for Stan the Man but when someone passes at 21 they have hardly lived. It seems there has been a lot of that going on lately. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/21/20 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread and bumped it up in honor of "Stan the Man" on what would have been his 100th birthday!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 11/21/20 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice post to honor him - I noticed this thread goes back to 2007! Shocked

Happy 100th to Stan the Man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: