Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleveland Indians, Chief Wahoo, Potential Name Change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/29/18 2:03 pm    Post subject: Cleveland Indians, Chief Wahoo, Potential Name Change Reply with quote

I know how many people have complained over the years about teams removing their logos (due to "PC" reasons) but I am happy to see this happen. I just wondered why it took so long. The Indians will not use Chief Wahoo after this season. Article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/29/18 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! My eyes nearly popped out when I read that headline.

The logo is a reflection of the era in which it was created, when ugly stereotypes were common. It has no place in the 21st century (and really shouldn't have in the 20th, either).

Just wish we could shut down the whines about being "PC". How about showing some class, instead?

I also like the fact that they named the team after the first native American to play in the major leagues, and have no intention of changing the team name. These are two entirely separate issues.

Here's Bill Shaikin's column about it from the L.A. Times:

"Cleveland Indians to Retire Chief Wahoo Logo"

By BILL SHAIKIN

JAN 29, 2018 | 10:20 AM

Chief Wahoo has struck out.

The Cleveland Indians have agreed to remove the big-toothed, red-faced caricature from their jerseys and caps starting in the 2019 season.

The Indians have used the Chief Wahoo logo since 1947, but Major League Baseball has pressured the team to end its use. The Indians will be allowed to use the logo this year, then remove it from team uniforms in 2019, when Cleveland plays host to the All-Star Game.

Commissioner Rob Manfred, reluctant to mandate a ban on the Chief Wahoo logo, has urged Indians owner Paul Dolan for several years to remove the locally beloved but racially charged logo.

"Paul Dolan made clear that there are fans who have a longstanding attachment to the logo and its place in the history of the team," Manfred said in a statement.

"Nonetheless, the club ultimately agreed with my position that the logo is no longer appropriate for on-field use in Major League Baseball, and I appreciate Mr. Dolan's acknowledgment that removing it from the on-field uniform by the start of the 2019 season is the right course."

Dolan told the Cleveland Plain Dealer: "You can't help but be aware of how many of our fans are connected to Chief Wahoo. We grew up with it. I remember seeing the little cartoon of The Chief in the paper each day, showing if the Indians won or lost."

In recent years, the Indians have emphasized the use of a red block C on their caps.

"While we recognize many of our fans have a longstanding attachment to Chief Wahoo," Dolan said in a statement, "I'm ultimately in agreement with Commissioner Manfred's desire to remove the logo from our uniforms in 2019."

The Indians are not changing their team nickname, despite protests from some Native American groups.

The Cleveland baseball club variously was known as the Forest Citys, Spiders, Blues, Bronchos and Naps from 1869 through 1914. When the club sold Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie to the Philadelphia Athletics in 1915, it changed its name to Indians in honor of Louis Sockalexis, a Penobscot Indian from Maine and the first recognized Native American to play in the major leagues — in 1897, when he batted .338 for Cleveland.

bill.shaikin@latimes.com
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 3/5/18 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 2/3/18 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good move. It's past due.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/5/20 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back to a couple of years ago when this was posted it mentions the Cleveland Indians' logo being changed but the team name was not up to be discussed. Now it looks like they are maybe going to consider that, too.

Statement from mlb.com
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/9/20 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a few days ago that the Indians manager Terry Francona thinks it is time for a new name and Francisco Lindor agrees - article from CBS Sports
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/13/20 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever they feel is appropriate should be accepted. I didn't think the name itself was degrading, but the logo definitely was--it's hard to imagine anyone wouldn't think so.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 12/13/20 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the day of reckoning has arrived, as per this report.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 12/15/20 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the article from Major League Baseball.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: