Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hall of Fame - Class of 2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/21/21 8:55 pm    Post subject: Hall of Fame - Class of 2021 Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it's possible that I haven't yet posted about the Hall of Fame ballot for this year, which was announced two months ago, and for which voting results will be announced next week (January 26). Information from MLB.com is here.

From the above-linked:

Quote:
The crowded crush of Cooperstown-caliber cases that voting members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America were presented with in recent years has cleared, and that creates breathing room -- and potentially large percentage increases -- for the ballot’s hopeful holdovers, notably Curt Schilling, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Omar Vizquel.

I don't see anything changing drastically.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/25/21 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they will put nobody in.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/26/21 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of hours to go here. Schilling should not be in based on his career stats, nothing to do with his political views. I've heard a lot of people say he's being punished for them. Why don't they look at it this way, there are better pitchers with better stats who are not in the Hall, so why should he be. The bar was already raised higher. Yes he was a very, very good pitcher but not elite of the elite.

The only one I could really get behind would be Jeff Kent. His numbers are some of the best ever at his position.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/26/21 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As predicted...nobody goes in this year except for those who were scheduled to be inducted in 2020.

I sometimes question about Jeff Kent, too. Common thought seems to be that he didn't have a cozy relationship with the media, but neither did other guys with great numbers who are in. He's not associated with PEDs, and I'm pretty sure he holds a couple of all-time records for second basemen. When his name comes up, I remember how good he was over the course of his career. Most of the time he's not one of the guys mentioned who should be in who's eligible. I don't think about him unless someone brings him up, but he was the best second baseman of his generation, and better than most who played the game at that position. He's been eligible for several years, too.

Oh, and this just in, next year will be Curt Schilling's final year of eligibility. He has asked to be removed from the 2022 ballot. Whatever!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 1/28/21 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a lot about how the Hall of fame is politicized, but I can only buy into a little bit of that. I do not think it is politicized as far as Schilling being punished. I just do not think he should be in, period. And if he wants to be removed from the ballot then fine. There will be no more reasons for him to argue about it next year.

Here is a different look at things, the "1 and done" players from this year's ballot. Aramis Ramirez, A.J. Burnett, LaTroy Hawkins? I see BZ is off, too, if he could have put a whole career together like he did with his first few years in Oakland it would have been awesome! Article from mlb.com
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 1/30/21 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But BZ got 0.2% of the vote! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: