Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padres 2021 - Is This Our Year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 9/14/21 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been such a disappointing week. Sad I was hopeful that my boys could pull out 1 game in L.A. if maybe they got to someone in the Dodgers bullpen. That did not happen although the closest they got was in Saturday's game.

Losing Blake Snell to injury on Sunday was bad enough especially so early in the game! He only threw 11 pitches in the first inning before coming out. Then, Yu Darvish imploded yesterday, and it is hard to figure out.

And it is more than just losing but the fact they are losing so badly. 8-0 on Sunday in L.A. and 9-1 yesterday in San Francisco. Both the Dodgers & Jints are on fire and playing like their lives are depending on it! We are just hanging on for dear life. I really do not see the Jints winning all 4 of this series, even though they ave been so hot - the law of averages says they are going to have to slow down sometime! They clinched a playoff spot last night and I still cannot see them letting up too much, but they are not going to win every game between now and the end of the season, either.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/15/21 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys finally ended their 5 game losing streak with a win tonight over that team in San Francisco! Dodger fans should enjoy that Smile while we try and hang in the race for the second wild card in the National League.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/15/21 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do. We're both in the thick of it all, and I know that, even after a losing streak, the Padres weren't going to just get swept in four games.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/16/21 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear that with our bullpen start today against Kevin Gausman going for them, it could be a tall order to get the split. It has to be so trying for the guys going out there every day and dealing with losses but seeing they are still in the hunt. It is an afternoon game at Oracle Park today and I am waiting for it to get underway, as I am sure you Dodger gals are waiting anxiously. Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 9/16/21 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 2 in a row for your boys! Good timing! I'm happy your prediction was wrong. You will be rooting for us, of course, this weekend when your next nearest wild card rival will be hosting us. I know the Padres are going to St. Louis too, and will have some say in controlling their own fate.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 9/18/21 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is now 2 losses in St. Louis even though my boys led most of the way tonight! Evil or Very Mad They wasted a sparkling start by Yu, then came from ahead to lose, 3-2. Not to mention there was a huge spat with Manny yelling at El Niño in the dugout, the reason about which I am not sure right now but has a lot of fans talking. All I could hear was him saying something like "I warned you!" and repeated it a few times with El Niño walking away from him. This season is turning into a nightmare and yet I still cannot give up on it since my Padres are still in the running for that second wild card. And there are 2 weeks left. But the way they are playing is not promising. Sad
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/23/21 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I hope you ladies are happy! Smile

My Padres ended their 8 game losing streak with a walk off win over the Jints today and avoided being swept! Wins seem fewer and far between these days but we are in the final days of this season that started out so promising and is not ending that way. So, I take whatever we can get now.

I should recap they were swept in St. Louis, and then came home to Petco Park for this 3 game series with the Battery Chuckers. They lost the first 2 and were in danger of losing today too, but a 6-6 tie was broken in the bottom of the 10th.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 9/25/21 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job for the Padres pulling that one out. I'm sorry it's pretty bleak otherwise for you. Sad
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 9/25/21 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now it is over for my Padres Crying or Very sad and the loss tonight makes it official, because it has seemed like it was over for a few weeks now. But I kept holding on to any hope. Now, there will be no playoffs for our team, and probably that is best since the way they have played in the second half did not make them a very playoffs worthy team. Our team had a test over these last few weeks of the season, to face several very good teams, all going to the playoffs, and see what my boys were made of. They failed miserably, I am sorry to say. Dodger ladies, please spare my your angst, because you are spoiled. You have won the division 9 straight years and another team might win it this year and you are 1.5 games back with just 7 to go. You are still guaranteed to be in the wild card game at the very least. Right now, I am just mixing myself a stiff drink and saying farewell to our hopes for this season that started so bright and upbeat. Now, it will be just a fight to finish over .500.

So the answer to the question in my thread title is - no. Not this year.
But wait till next year!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/26/21 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of emotion, packed into that post. I hear and understand your pain. And thanks for the perspective. Sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/29/21 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This continues to be a slow and painful death. Evil or Very Mad

With the loss to the Dodgers last night, my boys fell to under .500 at 78-79. This was unthinkable to me in the first half of the season. But now it is just a sad reality.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 9/30/21 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the loss last night which my Padres actually led, we have just 4 more games to go. Not in a long time have I been so happy to think about the end of a season. We have 1 more against the Dodgers, and then close out against the team with the best record in baseball, in their house, and with their fans and players excited they could clinch. This was not the ending I had in mind. I am hoping for them to finish at least .500. It is the only realistic goal left.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 10/1/21 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this will sound like sarcasm at its finest, but good luck this weekend. If you guys could go out on a high note at Oracle Park, wouldn't that be something?

And in all seriousness, I'm sorry for the collapse of your team. A three-team race for the NL West was looking pretty good for a long while.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 10/2/21 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for both you and me it did not work out. I was hoping for a .500 season at best and that is now out of reach.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 10/2/21 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game today for the Padres! I even cheered for Manny, lol!

If they have anything left in them could they please use it tomorrow and go out on a winning note. It's really a longshot but I'm holding out hope.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 10/3/21 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as the Padres have struggled, it would be nice for them to win their finale.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 10/3/21 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you would like that win! Did you catch Jesse Agler's welcome to Dodger fans tuning in? Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 10/3/21 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am so glad to say this season is over. I never would have imagined posting that, if you went back 3 months. I have been waiting for this day so we can close the book on 2021. Hopefully everything that needs to be fixed will be fixed. At this point I think Jayce Tingler has lost the team and its trust, so he needs to go. Last year was his first one with the Padres and I thought he did a very good job but then again, that was a 60 game season. If you went by the first 60 games of this one he did a good job, too. But we need a manager who can manage successfully over the long haul, so a change is probably in order.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/27/21 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta say I'm a little late on this one, Cath! Smile

But yes, I loved Jesse Agler's greeting to Dodger fans on the final weekend of the season: "A very pleasant good afternoon to you, wherever you may be."

I sometimes feel like I'll forever be behind in posting when I get back from a trip! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: