Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F.O./Managerial/Coaching Moves - 2021-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/6/21 1:02 pm    Post subject: F.O./Managerial/Coaching Moves - 2021-22 Reply with quote

Do we start this one with Jayce Tingler? To nobody's surprise, the Padres have dismissed their manager.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 10/6/21 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this came as a surprise to absolutely nobody! The talk for quite awhile has been bringing Bruce Bochy out of retirement, but I am not sure he wants to do that. It would be sweet if he came back, but I would welcome anyone who can turn around what went wrong with all the talent we have on this roster.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/26/21 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this thread went neglected while I was out of town.

So even though it's old news, Cardinals managerMike Shildt was fired, and just yesterday, bench coach Oliver Marmol was promoted to skipper.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 10/27/21 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/26/21 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Padres managerial search has Shildt among the candidates.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 10/29/21 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Padres have hired Bob Melvin as their next manager. He is a man with experience and a great deal of baseball knowledge. I hope this works out.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 10/30/21 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This took me by surprise because I really didn't know he was even available.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 10/30/21 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically he was not. The Padres had to get permission from Oakland because they had already exercised the team option for 2022. It was his 11th season there and now it will be his first in San Diego. The positives are, he has managed a small market team to the playoffs several times and gotten the most out of the least when he had to because of the "Moneyball" way that team operates. The negatives are, even though he has a good track record and players have been said to like playing for him, there were no championships for his teams over that time. Maybe this is a stepping stone. He will have a bigger payroll to manage and I look forward to seeing how he does with this new challenge.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 11/8/21 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been talking to some Padres fans and most say they're enthusiastic about this hiring. So now Oakland is in the market for a new manager, too.

I also just read where Mike Shildt, the manager who was fired by the Cardinals, is a finalist for Manager of the Year. He was NL MOY last year, for those who may not remember that. Now wouldn't that be something if he won this year after being booted, lol! But obviously that's not going to happen. We all know who will win this year.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 11/17/21 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not official yet, but the Mets are in the process of hiring Billy Epler as their new GM. I am posting the link here

For a large market team, the Met have had a lot of problems in that front office the last couple of years!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/29/21 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up, the Mets did officially announce their new GM.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 1/6/22 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 12/12/21 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the Mets, they narrowed down their list of managerial candidates to 3, and 1 of them is Buck Showalter. However it looks like Bob Geren, who already interviewed, is out of the running. Actually I kind of like having him around with the Dodgers still - not that I don't wish him well getting back into managing though.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 12/13/21 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just seems like such a part of the Dodgers' success over the last several years--like he and Doc belong together on the same staff. I like them being our local connections to L.A. (even if Padre fans don't, LOL).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 12/21/21 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see who Oakland hired for their new manager? It's Mark Kotsay! As a player he was one I really liked! And he was groomed on that coaching staff for the team culture - "Moneyball." Here's the link.

I'd like to congratulate Kotsay!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 12/25/21 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to one of my favorite former Padres!

Also, we have rounded out the coaching staff hired by Bob Melvin - article from padres.com

Quote:

• Bench coach Ryan Christenson
• Hitting coach Michael Brdar
• Pitching coach Ruben Niebla
• Third-base coach Matt Williams
• First-base coach David Macias
• Bullpen coach Ben Fritz
• Catching coach Francisco Cervelli
• Bullpen catcher Herberto Andrade
• Quality control coach Ryan Flaherty
• Game planning and coaching assistant Peter Summerville

In addition to those announcements, the Padres also hired longtime coach and former Reds manager Bryan Price to serve as senior advisor to the Major League coaching staff.

We will see where that takes my team. I feel satisfied so far.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/6/22 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Mark Kotsay! Smile (See, I haven't forgotten to check back in here.)

Somehow overlooked in the chaos of the last two weeks was the fact that Buck Showalter has been named the Mets' new manager, on a three-year contract.

And now one of my other favorite "Moneyball" guys has a new job--Eric Chavez will serve as the new hitting coach under Showalter.

Last, the Rays have promoted Peter Bendix to general manager and senior vice president of baseball operations.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 1/19/22 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 1/16/22 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our man Brad Ausmus has been added to Oakland's coaching staff - as bench coach.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/16/22 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good...and now he can catch some sets at Half Moon Bay. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/18/22 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is pathetic on the part of MLB.com, given the Dodgers just promoted Brandon Gomes to general manager--a position that's been vacant so long I forgot it was vacant (since Farhan Zaidi left the Dodgers after the 2018 season).

So this morning, I ran across the headline in the L.A. Times online:

"Dodgers Promote Fast-Ascending Executive Brandon Gomes to General Manager"

(DB6 note: And as of five minutes ago, not so much as a peep on dodgers.com about this.)

JAN. 18, 2022 11:01 AM PT

The Dodgers are making Brandon Gomes their new general manager, promoting the 37-year-old executive to a post that had been vacant since Farhan Zaidi’s departure four years ago.

A former pitcher with the Tampa Bay Rays who joined the Dodgers following his retirement as a player in 2016, Gomes has risen quickly through the club’s front office. He moved from pitching coordinator in 2017 to director of player development in 2018 to vice president and assistant general manager the last three seasons.

Gomes’ promotion on Tuesday comes on the heels of an offseason in which he was reportedly considered as a candidate for other GM openings, including the New York Mets’ position that eventually went to former Angels GM Billy Eppler.

Instead, Gomes will become the first GM to work under Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman since Zaidi was hired by the San Francisco Giants following the 2018 season.

“This is something that, since I got done playing, I was hoping to get to at some point in my career,” Gomes said. “It’s just something that will be incredibly fulfilling, to continue to work with this group with the goal of winning as many championships as possible.”

Friedman highlighted Gomes’ recent playing experience, background working in the Dodgers’ farm system, and natural leadership abilities as some of his biggest strengths as a front office executive.

“He’s had such an incredible impact on everything he’s touched,” Friedman said. “He’s moved pretty quickly, but you could argue that he could’ve moved even quicker.”

A Massachusetts native drafted by the San Diego Padres in 2007, Gomes was acquired by the Rays during Friedman’s tenure as that club’s GM. Gomes spent all five years of his big league career in the Tampa Bay bullpen, amassing a 4.20 ERA and 144 strikeouts over 173 outings.

After retiring in 2016, Gomes reconnected with Friedman, who hired him to be the Dodgers’ minor league pitching coordinator. Gomes was bumped up to director of player personnel a year later, replacing Gabe Kapler after he was hired as the Philadelphia Phillies manager.

Guided by his background in player development, Gomes brought a player- focused approach to the front office after being named assistant general manager in 2019, helping coordinate communication between the club’s analytic department and both the major league and minor league staffs.

As general manager, Gomes will continue to take on increased responsibilities across all facets of the Dodgers’ front office.

“I think we have a very collaborative front office set-up to begin with,” Friedman said. “I think with this, it will further enable him to touch all aspects of baseball operations. He and I will partner to figure out the ebbs and flows of the calendar. Maybe some years where I focus more on some areas and him on others. … Just communicating our way through it.”

A front office structure featuring both a head executive and general manager has become increasingly popular around MLB over the last decade, with about half of the league’s clubs utilizing both roles.

The Dodgers had once been part of that group until Zaidi’s departure, after which the team decided to leave the GM spot unfilled the last three seasons — waiting for the right time, and the right person to resume the role.

“We weren’t in a rush to do it, but if pressed at that time, I would have guessed that it would be Brandon,” Friedman said. “And all he’s done is continue to dominate everything he’s touched since that time.”

The Dodgers announced several front office moves in addition to Gomes’ promotion.

Damon Jones has been hired as vice president, assistant general manager and baseball legal counsel. He had been the Washington Football Team’s general counsel and has previous MLB experience with the Washington Nationals.

Alex Slater has been promoted to vice president and assistant general manager. Slater has been with the Dodgers since 2014 and was previously serving as director of baseball operations.

Brandon McDaniel has been promoted to vice president of player performance. A member of the Dodgers’ strength and conditioning staff since 2013, he was previously their director of player performance.

Thomas Albert is the new head athletic trainer, a role previously held by Neil Rampe. Albert had spent the last five years as the team’s assistant athletic trainer.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/18/22 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you this news caught me by surprise! But I trust their judgment and he's been a rising star in the organization. Good luck to him and let's just hope he's super effective like his predecessor.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 1/27/22 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Cardinals manager Mike Shildt is now in the Padres organization as player development consultant for Ryley Westman - article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/1/22 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Jeter has stepped down as minority owner of the Marlins.

And the Yankees have added Hensley Meulens as their assistant hitting coach.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/21/22 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big news here, Rod Fowler no longer has any shares with the Padres. Exclamation
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/26/22 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that is big news. It surprised me.

What didn't surprise me was the extension everyone expected was coming--Doc being signed an additional three years, through 2025.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/9/22 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Sabathia has accepted a job at MLB headquarters.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 6/3/22 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Girardi was fired as manager of the Phillies!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 6/7/22 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I just can't believe this one, manager Joe Maddon was fired by the Angels! Here's the link

This is the man everyone wanted to manage them. Phil Nevin is going to take over as interim manager. This is a complete shock to me! We haven't had any updates lately in that Angels thread but they completely fell apart the last week and a half.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/7/22 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that caught me by surprise, as did the firing of Joe Girardi. However, I could see the Phillies had to do something since they were flailing. I think with Maddon, it was like he'd weathered rough patches before and his teams made it through. But maybe none like this. The Angels had been playing so well for a couple of months, clearly they were executing over their heads and it's caught up with them now. I don't see this move as being helpful, though. The similarities are clear, though--neither the Phillies or Angels have made the postseason in many years (Phillies, 2011, Angels, 2014) and both were touted to have the might makeup to contend strongly this season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 6/8/22 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the back of my mind I could see it coming, but on the other hand I really did not think it would happen. Not sure what got them into that funk but I think the GM figured they have to respond by taking some kind of action. Too bad for Maddon. Also - I am happy for Phil Nevin! One of my fave ex-Padres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: