Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ballpark Icons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/3/14 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as I mentioned in another thread, Jim Thome retired, but it was nice to see that coincided with the fact that his statue at Progressive Field was unveiled today. I didn't realize it, but this had been announced back in January on MLB.com.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/29/14 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dovetailing with the thread I already posted about Paul Konerko's retirement, the White Sox have unveiled a statue of him at U.S. Cellular Field.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/16/15 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I thought I'd never see!--last night, the Dodgers have revealed that they have plans to install a Jackie Robinson statue at Dodger Stadium.

From the L.A. Times:

Jackie Robinson's uniform number was on the back of every player at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday night and No. 42 was etched in the infield dirt.

Some day in the near future, there will be a more enduring tribute to the player who broke baseball's color barrier 68 years ago.

As part of Civil Rights Game festivities that preceded a 5-2 victory over the Seattle Mariners, the Dodgers announced plans to erect a statue of Robinson on their stadium grounds.

"I've been waiting 20 years," said Robinson's widow, Rachel Robinson. "It's the fulfillment of a dream."

Dodgers President Stan Kasten offered few details about the project, saying he didn't know when the statue would be made or where it would be placed.

But Kasten indicated it would be the first of a series.

"I would not be surprised if there are more to come," Kasten said.

There will be no shortage of candidates.

As the project develops, there will almost certainly be calls from fans to construct statues of the likes of Vin Scully, Sandy Koufax, Tom Lasorda, Maury Wills and Fernando Valenzuela.

Presently, the most notable display for former players are the retired numbers on the facade of the suite level near the left-field foul pole. The numbers are also displayed in a plaza near the entrance at the top of the park.

With the exception of Jim Gilliam, the only players whose numbers are retired are Hall of Fame members. A former All-Star, Gilliam was a coach when he died shortly before 1978 World Series.

Valenzuela isn't in the Hall of Fame, but his No. 34 is unofficially retired, as clubhouse manager Mitch Poole has steadfastly refused to issue it to another player.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 4/16/15 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/16/15 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really good news! I know you are excited. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 12/26/15 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So getting back to the news from last April about the proposed JR statue at Dodger Stadium, there have been some updates announced over the past week.

A few details from the L.A. Times are as follows:

Quote:
...The Dodgers said the statue will be 9 to 10 feet tall and located at a stadium site to be determined during the 2016 season.

Statues of players have become fairly commonplace around the major leagues, and the Dodgers have a wealth of candidates – Sandy Koufax and Vin Scully quickly come to mind – but no one can complain with the choice of Robinson, the Hall of Fame infielder from Pasadena who broke baseball’s race barrier.

“The Dodgers have a rich history of breaking barriers, and it all began with Jackie Robinson in 1947,” Dodgers President Stan Kasten said in a statement. “Therefore, it is altogether fitting that our first statue at Dodger Stadium be of Jackie.

“The class that Jackie exhibited while still performing at the highest level made everything that has happened since not only in baseball, but in many respects throughout American society, possible.”

The Dodgers have selected Northern California-based sculptor Branly Cadet to create the statue. Cadet, who lived in Brooklyn, New York, before settling in Oakland, created the William Shakespeare medallion at the former Booth Theatre site in Manhattan, and the Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Memorial in front of the Powell state office building in Harlem. He is currently working on a privately funded large-scale monument for the City of Philadelphia.

“We're thrilled that the Dodgers will honor Jack with the inaugural statue at Dodger Stadium,” said Rachel Robinson, widow of Jackie Robinson and founder of the Jackie Robinson Foundation, said in a news release. “Branly Cadet's excitement for the project is heartening, and I look forward to the unveiling with great enthusiasm.”

Interesting that the sculptor lived in Brooklyn and has some link there. Oh, but one more thing--between now and the time this is completed, I'd better not hear from one more older Brooklyn Dodger fan that L.A. Dodger fans don't deserve to have Jackie's statue "out there"! Mad Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 12/29/15 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when earlier this year the statue was announced. I don't think I was back posting here, though. I'm super excited about this. A lot of people wonder what took them so long to have a statue, any statue - could be Sandy or Vin and I think those are the ones who will get theirs next.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/22/16 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess who will be immortalized with a statue at Great American Ballpark? That's right, Mr. Peter Edward Rose himself. And I really don't have any problem with this. Although I'm tempted to say perhaps it should be dedicated in Las Vegas, he will be honored by his hometown and his original major league team, the Cincinnati Reds. That's fine with me, so long as he is locked out of Cooperstown.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/10/16 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall of Fame pitcher Gaylord Perry will be honored with a statue at AT&T Park. He is the final member of the quintet of HOFers from the San Francisco era of the Jints' history to be feted in this manner.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/11/16 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I wonder if "Bobby's son" will ever get a statue there. And if he does I wonder if it will have any "special" features. Laughing

I like Gaylord Perry so much when he played here. Was my favorite Padre back then. He is very deserving of a statue even if it is at AT&T Park.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/11/17 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Surprised

(delayed reaction to your post from last year, Cathy.) Smile

With the opening of SunTrust Park, the Braves unveiled their statue of slugger Hank Aaron, and now the great #42 is about to receive his monument--the first one ever to be displayed at Dodger Stadium. That, of course, will take place before the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game on April 15, the 70th anniversary of the day Jackie broke baseball's color barrier.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/13/17 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the updates. I know you will be excited for Saturday's unveiling.

I just saw that the Mariners have just dedicated the Ken Griffey Jr. statue at Safeco Field - link from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/15/17 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited for this, coming up in a short while.

From the L.A. Times:

"Dodgers to Unveil Jackie Robinson Statue Saturday"

Jackie Robinson is immortalized by statues in Canada, Connecticut, Florida and New Jersey, and by two statues in New York. The UCLA baseball stadium, which is named in his honor, also features a statue of him.

On Saturday, the most historic Dodger of all gets a statue at Dodger Stadium. On the 70th anniversary of the day he broke baseball’s color barrier, and in the 56th year of their beloved home grounds, the Dodgers will dedicate their first stadium statue.

Sharon Robinson, Jackie’s daughter, said she expects about 200 friends and family members — including her 94-year-old mother, Rachel — to attend the unveiling and ceremony on baseball’s annual Jackie Robinson Day.

A statue of Willie Mays greets San Francisco Giants fans at the plaza outside AT&T Park, and a statue of Tony Gwynn towers over the park behind San Diego’s Petco Park. Dodger Stadium, with its multiple-level entrances, has no such natural gathering spot.

So the Dodgers will install the larger-than-life Robinson statue near the reserve level entrances, along the left-field line.

“It’s where the most number of fans enter,” said Janet Marie Smith, the Dodgers’ senior vice president of planning and development, “but it’s also a very ceremonial place, with beautiful views of downtown Los Angeles in one direction and Elysian Park in the other.

“So the backdrop to the sculpture — no matter what angle — is a very powerful one, and tells a story of Los Angeles.”

The statue, in which sculptor Branly Cadet depicts Robinson sliding to complete a steal of home plate, is the focal point of a display that highlights his Hall of Fame career as well as his social impact. Although Robinson told the Hall of Fame he wanted to be remembered there as a baseball player, the Dodgers also want to celebrate his place in American history.

Robinson stole home on 19 occasions, including Game 1 of the 1955 World Series, when the Brooklyn Dodgers won their lone championship. Robinson retired before the 1957 season, one year before the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles.

“Jackie Robinson was known for stealing home,” Cadet said. “Home plate is a highly guarded space on the baseball field. It takes courage and precise timing to steal home.

“From a historical perspective, I think those qualities impressed everyone who was involved in breaking the color line.”

Sharon Robinson said she appreciated that the Oakland-based Cadet visited the Robinson family for consultation and said she “respected the artist’s vision” for the statue.

“I love the way Branly depicted him in his aggressive stance, going into a slide,” Robinson said. “That’s what he brought to Major League Baseball and what he learned from the Negro Leagues, to be a more aggressive baserunner.”

The word “courage” appears on the inscriptions of three of the seven previously installed statues.

None cite the National League Most Valuable Player award he won in 1949. Two portray him playing baseball, neither with a majestic swing. Two portray him sharing a baseball with children. One shows him in the embrace of a teammate.

Among statue locations are the site of Robinson’s first exhibition game (Daytona Beach, Fla.), his first minor league game (Jersey City, N.J.), his first minor league season (Montreal) and his first major league season (Brooklyn).

The presentation of those statues purposefully minimizes Robinson’s role as a baseball player, said Chris Stride, who collected the Robinson data for his study of sports statues at the University of Sheffield in England.

“The many monuments to Jackie Robinson reflect not only his critical and courageous role in driving profound social change, but also the desire of communities to celebrate both Robinson’s achievements and their part in his story,” Stride said via email.

“Each of the statues, given their location, reflects the totality of the man,” Sharon Robinson said. “With Dodger Stadium, it’s totally appropriate that it be a story of his baseball-playing years, and that the sculpture would reflect that.

I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me. All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.
— Jackie Robinson, as quoted on his new statue at Dodger Stadium

“They have found ways, by using some of my father’s quotes, to bring in his humanitarian approach to life and his emphasis on social change. I really think this sculpture brings the two things together.”

In 1962, when Jackie Robinson was inducted into the Hall of Fame, he said he wanted to be recognized solely for his impact on the field. His Hall of Fame plaque, in reflecting his wishes, accounted for statistics that included batting average, stolen bases, fielding percentage and double plays turned, but did not say he broke baseball’s color barrier.

In 2008, more than three decades after he died and one decade after his number 42 had been retired throughout the sport, the Hall of Fame received the support of Robinson’s family to revise his plaque, which now ends with: “Displayed tremendous courage and poise in 1947 when he integrated the modern major leagues in the face of intense adversity.”

The Dodger Stadium statue will include information about his playing career as well as inscriptions of these Robinson sayings, as selected by the Robinson family:

• “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.”

• “I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me. All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.”

• “There’s not an American in this country free until every one of us is free.”

Although Dodgers president Stan Kasten has suggested Robinson’s statue would be the first rather than the only one at Dodger Stadium, Smith said she is not aware of any decision about who might come next. Vin Scully, Sandy Koufax and Fernando Valenzuela would be among the candidates.

When Smith arrived with the current ownership group in 2012, she said Kasten charged her with decorating Dodger Stadium with the history of the storied franchise. The concourses of Dodger Stadium now feature MVP and Cy Young awards, old stadium seats and signs, a Scully display case, and even equipment trunks and bullpen carts.

“The idea of the sculpture is an extension of that,” Smith said. “We feel this is not just a Dodger monument, but one that all of baseball will embrace and respect. We’re honored to be able to present it.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 4/26/17 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 4/16/17 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statue looks terrific! I had tears in my eyes watching the ceremony on line. Crying or Very sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/17/17 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, too! And chills listening to Vin again!

From the L.A. Times:

"Statue of Jackie Robinson Unveiled at Dodger Stadium"

by Bill Shaikin

After all the lovely words had been spoken, the blue curtain raised, and the majestic statue of Jackie Robinson unveiled, his daughter reflected on a day she called powerful and inspirational.

“It was wonderful,” Sharon Robinson said, “to share that with Mom.”

Rachel Robinson is 94. She celebrated Saturday by sharing stories with Vin Scully, 89, and greeting three of her husband’s former teammates: Don Newcombe, 90, Tom Lasorda, 89, and Sandy Koufax, 81.

Brooklyn’s Boys of Summer are deep into their autumn. Rachel Robinson has not been in the best of health this year, and her children said they were pleased — but not surprised — that she rallied to take a place of honor during the statue dedication in the afternoon and receive a standing ovation from the Dodger Stadium crowd in the evening.

“We’ve now come from Pasadena to Brooklyn and back with the Dodgers,” said Robinson’s son, David.

“To see that cycle in one’s life, and to see that work honored and respected, and to see the elders there who were with her during those days, I think it touches great memories for her and has great significance and importance.”

Jackie Robinson grew up in Pasadena, and he met his wife at UCLA in 1941.

He retired before the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles, but Dodgers co-owner Magic Johnson said team chairman Mark Walter promised Rachel five years ago that the new owners would install a Jackie Robinson statue.

“I’m more happy because of his statue than the two I’ve got,” Johnson said.

Johnson said Robinson and Muhammad Ali had paved the way for his success in sports and business. Baseball’s drive for diversity remains a work in progress, but Johnson smiled broadly as Dodgers manager Dave Roberts presented Rachel Robinson with a framed picture of the sculpture.

The sculptor, Branly Cadet, is African American. Roberts is the first African American manager in Dodgers history.

“You know that Jackie is just smiling in heaven right now,” Johnson said.

Roberts makes it a point to check in with each of his players every day, helping them navigate emotional hurdles where he can.

“Can you imagine what Jackie went through compared to the players of today? You know, sometimes we complain about the Internet service,” Roberts said. “No, we can’t imagine what he went through.

“You talk to Sandy and hear some of the stories that are talked about, it just wasn’t even close. It doesn’t do it justice, you know, the strength of the man. Until you know Rachel and people who were around Jackie, you can’t gather the magnitude of what he went through.”

Rachel Robinson and the Boys of Summer will not be around forever to share those stories, but they will be told and retold at the Jackie Robinson Museum in New York, with groundbreaking ceremonies set this year.

“She’s really led the charge on the legacy building,” Sharon Robinson said. “Her last command performance is the museum.”

The Dodger Stadium statue, which includes such iconic Jackie Robinson quotes as “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives,” also will enable future generations to learn about Robinson when firsthand accounts are no longer available.

That legacy also will be continued by the Jackie Robinson Foundation, which has provided financial and mentorship support to 1,500 students over the last four decades. Dodgers outfielder Andre Ethier has funded three of those scholarships.

“They are embracing the embodiment of Jackie Robinson and the courage that it takes to change society,” David Robinson said. “When all of us are looking down, we will have thousands of students that bear the Jackie Robinson name.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 4/26/17 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/18/17 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to checking it out, the next time we visit Dodger Stadium for a Padres game.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 5/1/17 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who finds it wrong for the Marlins to be erecting a statue to Jose Fernandez? I think it's sad what happened to him, but it was in his control and he was the one who was operating a boat under the influence. I don't agree this is the right thing to do. I think it's fine they are honoring him with a patch although I think the retired number was a bit too much, and this statue idea is going too far in my opinion.

Information from Sports Illustrated
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/1/17 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're not the only one! I agree it's overkill! He is responsible for not only his own death but of others, as well.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/3/17 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just flat wrong. If I were in one of the families of the others who were killed, I would be very upset.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/17/17 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I find it abhorrent what Pete Rose did in terms of compromising the great game of baseball, nobody can argue that the man deserves a statue at Great American Ballpark. And that was unveiled today--depicting "Charlie Hustle" in the midst of a head-first slide (back when they were not very common).

Rose's former teammate "Little Joe" Morgan was also on hand for this ceremony, which took place before the Reds-Dodgers game in Cincinnati, bringing back memories for this fan of the great rivalry between the "Big Blue Wrecking Crew" and the "Big Red Machine" back in the 1970s.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/20/18 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cannot say how emotional it was to me, my family, thousands of fans and of course - the Hoffmans! - but, it was finally time for Trevor's statue to be unveiled on Saturday! His comments meant a lot about sharing the glory with the Padres fans and community - article from padres.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/20/18 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly I'll see it soon. And props to the Padres for reserving that honor for Hall of Famers. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/10/19 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally! Because I was out of town when this news was announced, I'm catching up to it. Very nice, indeed!

From the L.A. Times:7

"Legendary Pitcher Sandy Koufax will Get a Statue at Dodger Stadium"

By BILL SHAIKIN
JULY 23, 2019 11:19 AM

The first arm immortalized in a Dodger Stadium statue will be the one once known as “The Left Arm of God.”

Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax will be honored with the second statue at the stadium. The statue is scheduled to be unveiled next year, in what the team is calling a new entertainment plaza beyond center field. The Dodgers plan to move the Jackie Robinson statue, installed two years ago on the reserved level, to the entertainment plaza, flanking the Koufax statue.

Koufax, 83, dazzled Los Angeles and all the major leagues with five of the most electric seasons ever recorded. He led the National League in earned-run average every year from 1962-66. He won three Cy Young awards — all unanimously — and the 1963 Most Valuable Player award.

He pitched four no-hitters, making them an annual event from 1962-65. The 1965 game was a perfect game, immortalized in what often is regarded as the most magnificent call in Vin Scully’s career.

The Dodgers won the World Series in 1963 and 1965; Koufax was the World Series MVP in each series. In 1965, he started three games and completed two, including a three-hit shutout in the clincher on two days rest.

However, he gained his greatest fame in that series when he decided against pitching in Game 1 of the World Series so he could observe Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year. In the wider American culture, that quiet act transformed Koufax from an excellent pitcher into a Jewish icon.

At a White House event honoring Jewish Americans in 2010 – almost a half-century later – President Obama told the crowd: “We are both lefties. He can’t pitch on Yom Kippur. I can’t pitch.”

In 1966, Koufax and fellow Dodgers ace Don Drysdale staged a successful holdout in spring training, before the rise of the Major League Baseball Players Assn. or the advent of free agency. The Dodgers had paid Koufax $85,000 in 1965 and offered him $100,000 for 1966; he earned $125,000 through a holdout that many fans did not appreciate.

“It was astonishing to me,” Koufax wrote in his 1966 autobiography, “to learn that there were a remarkably large number of American citizens who truly did not believe we had the moral right to quit rather than work at a salary we felt — rightly or wrongly — to be less than we deserved. . . . Just take what the nice man wants to give you, get into your uniform, and go a fast 25 laps around the field.”

Koufax stunned Los Angeles and the baseball community by retiring after the 1966 season. He was 30, but he was concerned that continued wear and tear on his arthritic elbow could permanently impact the use of his left arm for the rest of his life.

Koufax treasures his privacy, but he has graced the Dodgers with his regal presence in recent years, including appearances at the World Series. He has become good friends with Clayton Kershaw, who is almost certain to someday will join Koufax as the lone Dodgers left-handers in the Hall of Fame.

Times staff writer Jorge Castillo contributed to this report.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/12/19 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is super news and I'm sure Vin will be on hand for this one, too!

Sandy has been seen at Dodger Stadium a few times recently. The article says he comes back for the World series but he was at at least 2 of those Cardinal games last week. But I know the article was from before that. He still looks like he's in great shape.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/28/22 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's only been 2 1/2 years since the last post in this thread, which referenced the immortal Sandy Koufax.

And it has finally come to pass over the last couple of weeks that the Dodgers will dedicate said statue in his honor this coming June. I'm getting chills thinking about it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 3/31/22 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure we will check it out when we go there for a game later in the season.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/4/22 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to mention that the Mets have unveiled a statue of Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver at Citifeld a few weeks ago (actually, on April 15).

In fact, I've mentioned to several that I find it ironic that an all-time Trojan great was honored on the same day a great Bruin is celebrated all around Major League Baseball. Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/24/22 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall of Fame pitcher Ferguson Jenkins now has his statue at Wrigley Field.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/20/22 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now...three years after the original announcement...I can finally say that Dandy Sandy's statue is up. What a wonderful occasion it was being at Chavez Ravine for this on Saturday! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 6/21/22 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that was a very special time for you. I will see it in a couple of weeks when my Padres play in L.A.!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/4/22 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statue looked nice! We got to see it on Saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: