Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assorted memorabilia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/12 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Linda Smile I was not able to find that thread. I could not figure out how to get the treads to come up alphabetically to find it Confused

I have downloaded the Mariners-Yankees pictures which I hope to get posted to the Baseball Across America thread this evening.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/26/12 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check under the list I created of most popular threads.

And if you are doing a search the long way around, you put "collections" in the search field and it will be returned among some other threads. They won't be alphabetized, but it does pop up, because I just tried the search engine myself.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 3/2/13 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 8/27/12 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking care of it for me Smile You shouldn't have had to with all you have going on.

I had a very busy weekend so I didn't get anything posted like I had expected to. Faith's dad (my ex-husband) was experiencing breathing problems and went to the hospital. Turns out he has two bad heart valves! They sent him home the next day but he has to go back for some more tests tomorrow and they will probably schedule surgery.

Blake's birthday party was Saturday afternoon and then we headed to the Kernels game. Unfortunately my brother didn't go with us so it was two grandchildren - Steve's grandson and Blake, my sister-in-law, and my niece and nephew. I will report on the game in the CR Kernels thread. I should be able to find that one!

Then on Sunday my grand-daughter Paige had some respiratory problems after her nap so Faith and Dylan took her to the emergency room. She had to stay in the hospital with mom and dad with her so I kept Blake overnight and took him to school this morning. I stopped by the hospital briefly before going in to work and Paige was sitting up having some breakfast and Faith said they'd get to go home today after the doctor reports back to them. We are waiting to find out if the problem resulting from a cold Paige had was Walking Pneumonia, RSV, or the onset of Asthma. She will be on some respiratory therapy and steriods at home and should be back to her old cheery self soon. Not sure about Faith though! She has gotten little sleep between Paige being sick and worrying about her own father's heart problem. I told her I could come stay overnight but she thought they'd be okay tonight. I will have to go stay with Paige tomorrow while Faith takes her dad to get the tests done. He has no family in Iowa except for Faith and his mother who is in a nursing home. His sister who lives in Seattle is going to come out to Iowa when he has the surgery so that will be great support for Faith. There is not a lot I can do because I not next of kin except for babysitting. I offered to drive her father places but he doesn't want anyone doing anything for him. Stubborn men! Laughing

I will be back on here when I have more time to catch up and get those Mariner-Yankee photos posted.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/27/12 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I should be able to find that one!

Well, with it being at the top of the page, how hard is it? Smile

Sorry to hear of all the health-related troubles. I know Cathy's husband had something going on yesterday too, but I was not able to get all the details.

Sounds like it has been some weekend for us all. I spent an entire afternoon after church yesterday visiting homebound at our church yesterday. I have not gotten to so many at once in many months, simply because I haven't had the time, but with one of them being one of our most valued volunteers I wanted to make sure to see her, and she wanted me to deliver a few things to a couple of the others (some of her long-time friends) and so I did. These are the saints of our church, many whom have been there 60, 70 years...they love to have visitors. And they want to talk as long as you'll stay.

In addition, our church is going through some internal issues as our pastor just announced his retirement and we're looking for a new music director. We knew his retirement was coming within a year, just with no specific date given until a few years ago; now we know it will be at the end of the year. The music director resigned just a couple of days ago so that came as a surprise. Being involved on both staff and as a congregation member, I wear two hats, but both of them involve handling issues related to these changes. I'm once again looking at meetings three or four nights a week for the next couple of weeks. So I spent a lot of time sharing with the homebound members what is going on and how some of the restructuring of committees, etc. may affect them.

And last, we just had another death of a beloved member. Sad We hadn't for a couple of months--but we're now making the arrangements with his wife and daughter. So even though I thought the last month of summer would be relatively quiet once the Rummage Sale was over, I was wrong. In a church environment, anything can happen to throw your schedule off.

Quote:
I will be back on here when I have more time to catch up and get those Mariner-Yankee photos posted.

Don't worry about those (unless you want to) Smile as I consider it a higher priority to at least keep current with threads--like, I would love to hear about the Kernels game. Having one more thing to do that can wait (such as the photos) isn't such a big deal.

Very Happy
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 3/2/13 1:14 am; edited 2 times in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 8/27/12 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To know that your seniors are very much supported by their church even though they can't attend is wonderful. I am sure they appreciate visits very much. I worked in a nursing home right out of college and I loved listening to the seniors stories. They also love when you ask for advice and their years of living give them a perspective on things that a 22 year old college graduate could take advice from.

When Paige goes to see Grandma Merrigan (Faith's father's mother) in the nursing home Grandma Merrigan who has to use a wheelchair now wheels Paige down to the commons area. The women just love to see her and she goes around and takes their hand and gives them a kiss. They love visitors so I can imagine how much your church members appreciate your visits.

I remember you writing about some of the issues your church was facing. It is too bad the music director had to resign around the same time the minister retired. So now you have two positions to fill. In the Methodist church ministers get assigned to a new position at the Annual Conference. They usually try to find someone who goes along with the tone the church has set - whether it's a more conservative or a more liberal congregation. Ministers usually stay at one church up to 7 years. I could never understand why they are moved because if you have a minister you like and who has been there for their parishoners you certainly hate to lose them. Of course the oppostite could happen to - in which case you hope they get moved before 7 years Laughing My brother explained ministers are moved to give a fresh perspective to the church and so their sermons don't get stale. I suppose they can reuse the same sermons wherever they get moved to.

I really hope your church finds a good fit for both positions.

So sorry to hear of the loss of another church member. It always means so much at a time like this to have a church family. I am grateful that mom's minister was available for her and that she could give the memorial service message because she knew mom. She didn't have to give one of those fill-in-the-blank services. My brother's minister also came to visit mom in the hospital and it meant a lot to have people from both congregations praying for mom as well as being there for my brothers and I. I am thankful this family has your and their church to turn to at a time like this.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/28/12 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support. It is not at all like that in our church, although I can understand why they would need a fresh perspective. At ours, ministers have probably averaged about seven years in my lifetime; I'm doing the math now...this particular one has been here almost ten years, but we knew at the time he was hired he would be here until retirement which would be about ten years. Also, his wife is retiring in February.

We are a congregationally run church, so we search for and select his replacement. I have served on search committees before, and it is a lot of work.

As I've mentioned, we have had some internal conflicts and issues and I believe it is the right time for him to retire not just because he's where he needs to be for retirement, but also because we need new leadership. I'll just say here that there were some questionable decisions he made in the last couple of years that the congregation was divided over. Overall, he has been good for us during his tenure and most agree he's a good preacher. There were just some administrative issues that we disagreed with. Again, wearing two hats, it's been difficult for me at times and put me in a stressful position.

We'll soon be in a period of transition and that's good because we need to turn the page on some of this.

Well, we sure have strayed from memorabilia here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 3/2/13 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/28/12 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we have but I think it is okay for this one time.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/28/12 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know Cathy's husband had something going on yesterday too, but I was not able to get all the details.

Yes - he went to the ER, I had to take him because he was in terrible pain. It turned out to be a kidney stone. Sounds like a overloaded weekend for us all.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/28/12 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was definitely one of those weekends for all of us. I am glad your husband went to the emergency room. Sometimes it takes alot of pain to get them to do something. Otherwise they think they can just wait it out.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/2/13 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this thread hasn't been bumped in awhile (since last season), let me just reiterate that it's about items that aren't part of our own personal collections, but rather about major "finds" or unusual collectibles either on display elsewhere, or going up for bid.

This story is a few days old, but a few "Big Train" items are up to sell.

Some unique memorabilia from the family of Hall of Famer Walter Johnson--one of four Hall of Famers from Fullerton, CA--are up for auction.

Then there's Curt Schilling's bloody sock, a most remarkable piece of Red Sox lore from the 2004 World Series.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/2/13 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullerton has etched its place in baseball history for sure - and that is even before you take into account that great team that plays college ball there! Looks like some very rare finds, for sure!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/30/13 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the most recent major item being auctioned is this--and at least it's for a good cause!--Mickey Mantle's 1960 contract, up for bid to benefit victims of Hurricane Sandy.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
(Mantle) made $40,000 less than a man named John Kennedy in 1960. And while Mantle had a down year in 1959, Kennedy was a mere rookie in 1960.

...Mantle's contract for 1960 is worth significantly more these days than it was when it set his salary. Because of Mantle's ongoing popularity and the cause connected to the auction, they estimate the contract could fetch $1 million, all of which would go to the Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund, chaired by Mary Pat Christie, wife of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

Danny Mantle [Mickey's son] said he and his brother, David, each of whom spent much of each summer of their youth in New Jersey, were troubled by the experiences Sandy's victims endured and decided auctioning one of their many pieces of Mantle memorabilia was one way they could help.

...(Danny) noted the contract is in near perfect condition.

Other items available in the auction include Weiss' 1939 Yankees World Series ring, a baseball signed by the 1929 Yankees, among them Ruth, Earle Combs, Tony Lazzeri, Lou Gehrig, Leo Durocher, Miller Huggins and owner Jacob Ruppert, and the glove Jackie Robinson used during both the 1955 and '56 World Series.

Now that last item is something that would look mighty fine in my collection!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/19/16 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a couple of reasons, I was searching for this thread over the last couple of weeks, with recent news items of interest to post.

I can't say how much this breaks my heart, although it doesn't touch me as personally as a certain departure looming on the horizon.

Still, as long as Big D. has been gone--almost 23 years now--his widow has done a wonderful job of keeping the Hall of Famer's legacy and his place in Dodger history alive.

Until now.

Ann Meyers Drysdale has found herself in a feud with her late husband's daughter from his first marriage over prized memorabilia items. Dodger fans always embraced Ann as a big part of the Dodger family, but I'm not so sure they will be as welcoming after reading this.

I'm trying to imagine what Kelly is going through after growing up in the same era I did--her father's very best years.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/20/16 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh that really is awful. I cannot imagine how she could justify that. I do not know as much about her as you do but I have always respected her as an athlete and coach. Now I am not so sure, as a stepmother. Does it remind you of your stepmother? Ouch, sorry if I opened a wound there.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/21/16 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! You know, I was so busy thinking about the baseball memorabilia angle of it that I didn't even think about a comparison to my stepmother!

Yes, although the way my stepmother screwed us over was much more low-profile. Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 4/21/16 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is outrageous! I heard my brother talking about this the last time we were with them up in North County a couple of weeks ago. So I'm glad to see the link about it. I feel so bad for Kelly.

Speaking of memorabilia I'm sure you will be posting in the Collections thread soon, right, Linda? It's getting to be that time of year again.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/22 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went back to find this thread so I could post about the Mickey Mantle card that sold for a record price this week! Just reading back on the memorabilia flap with Kelly Drysdale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: