Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honoring a Player of Splendid Achievement
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 7/3/12 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping Splendid Splinter holds his head! This is for the All Star forever stamp The article says the first day of issue will take place All Star weekend in Cooperstown.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/5/12 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! The greatest ever...
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/15/12 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Postal News reports that this trend has held, and confirms what you noted, that the stamps will be issued next weekend. So Jpochard will have the first opportunity to get them, ahead of us. Exclamation
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jpochard

PostPosted: Sun 7/15/12 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea. I'll have to get one of those, send myself a note postmarked at Cooperstown Smile

I'm really getting geared up for a great baseball week - going to the game on Tuesday here - preceeded by a stadium tour and Reds HOF - then of course the big weekend in Cooperstown. Talk about special acheivements! I will have photos to post in this thread when I get back I'm sure. So glad Barry made it in.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 8/3/12 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that you were able to go for Larkin's induction. Were you able to get a Ted Williams stamped postcard sent to your house from Cooperstown?
jpochard

PostPosted: Fri 8/3/12 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up not posting anything from Cooperstown itself. Just didn't seem worth the trouble at the time, although now I wish I had.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/30/14 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would bump this one up to honor the Splendid Splinter on what would have been his 96th birthday! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sun 8/30/15 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/31/14 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful tribute to Teddy Ballgame! I have been hearing a lot about his daughter's book and want to read it. I will post about it in the Books thread after I do.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/30/15 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, Teddy Ballgame!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/30/15 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A San Diegan and originally a Padre!

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 1/20/16 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty years ago today...

On January 20, 1966, the Red Sox legend was elected to the Hall of Fame.

Two-time Triple Crown winner, two-time American League MVP, and owner of the highest career OBP in MLB history (.483).

I was just a kindergartner when this happened, but I still remember my dad talking about this with great pride.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 1/22/16 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great memory to have. We will always be proud of him! Diego Roots!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/6/16 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some pretty good links on MLB.com on what would have been his 98th birthday last week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 9/7/16 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Linda. I realized nobody had posted about his birthday, Lol.

I am excited he will be honored at Petco Park tonight. Will post about that later. We are going to the game.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/30/17 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year, I am beating everyone else to it. Today is his 99th birthday. The great Ted Williams!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/30/17 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, Cath, thanks for doing that!

There should be some monumental celebration next year on what would have been the 100th! But I'm not too confident in the way that will go. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 8/31/17 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major League Baseball will do it right. San Diego and SABR, might drop the ball (so to speak).
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/30/20 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw where we had a special thread for his 100th birthday but did we miss honoring Teddy Ballgame last year? I do not see any posts since 2017 here.

Happy 102nd birthday, and this is to you Ted Williams - the last man to hit .400 and you did it over a 154 game span! (I doubt .400 will be broken this year but even if it is, there will be a very large asterisk next to it!)
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/30/20 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no explanation for it unless it was during one of our "down" periods here last year. I can't imagine why else, otherwise? But yes...happy birthday to the Splendid Splinter!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/31/20 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His legend lives on!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/30/21 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is time for our annual birthday greeting for the greatest hometown hero ever! He would have turned 103 today!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/30/21 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a little bit of research earlier today. Did you know the population of San Diego was roughly 75,000 when he was born in 1918? And of course it was during the Spanish flu epidemic,, which adds a wrinkle to that.

Happy birthday to "the Kid"!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/30/22 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this year's commemoration of The Kid's birthday, I'm offering an article written by Major League Baseball historian, John Thorn, about the humble North Park abode at 4121 Utah St.--"The House That Built Ted."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/22 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a good read. You can feel how San Diego shaped him when it was a small city back in his day. I enjoy reading and hearing the stories of those aging people who still have memories of him in S.D. Happy 104th!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/22 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Linda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: