Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rojo Chingon Appreciation Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 12/31/22 8:37 pm    Post subject: Rojo Chingon Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

One of my least favorite stories of the last couple of months was getting the news--on my birthday, no less--that Rojo Chingon was signing with the Red Sox. He was a key contributor in eight of the nine seasons of their decade-long run of playoff teams.

Today, on the 50th anniversary of Roberto Clemente's death, I think of how this man is the most recent recipient of the prestigious Roberto Clemente Award. This leaves Clayton Kershaw, another Clemente Award winner, the last one standing of players dating back to the Dodgers' 2013 team.

Of note from comments in Bill Plaschke's column in the L.A. Times: "During every home game at Dodger Stadium, after a veteran was honored on the field, J.T. would stop them at the dugout, shake their hand and hand over an autographed baseball. He never publicized it, doing it so quietly it was easy to miss, but every veteran noticed it and several have said it was the best part about being honored."

"In an era when other higher-paid Dodgers frequently failed in October, he recorded an .830 on-base-plus-slugging percentage with 13 home runs and 42 RBIs in 86 postseason games."

Thanks for the memories, Rojo. You did a lot on and off the field to make us proud--a hometown hero, indeed.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 12/31/22 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great tribute to this guy whom we will all miss! I'm not sure who can step in and fill his shoes as far as being a real veteran leader but I know who it isn't Sad He will always be proudly remembered for his years with his hometown team!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 1/2/23 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. I will be glad not to see him during Padres-Dodgers games. But he is a class act.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 1/23/23 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His farewell he posted a couple of weeks back was really emotional.

This weekend, he was honored with JT Day in LA. What a send-off for both him and Kourtney & also for LA - they gave $49,000 to the Dream Center in honor of the pastor's 49th birthday.

The Turners say the foundation is always going to stay based in LA.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/23/23 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about it just as I was leaving town. Yesterday, as you know, was my dad's birthday as well as Justin's birthday.

And on the flip side, what a weekend--two memorial services on back-to-back days.

I'm so proud of Rojo Chingon.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: