Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAVIN' AT THE RAVINE! - 2023 EDITION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/23 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers won! 8-6 final, after a shaky first inning for Gavin Stone (four runs allowed), and he lasted four innings before leaving the game. J.D. with four hits (two HRs) and Freddie with a monster blast in his old ballpark, and a 3-for-5 game. Charlie Morton started for the Braves and took the loss; Evan Phillips notched the win in relief with Bazooka recording the save. Once again, huge props to the bullpen which has been so overworked recently

Not that I care about marking these milestones, but they are worth noting in "real time" even if they mean nothing in the long run--the Dodgers became the first NL team to win 30 games this season.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/24/23 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that Bobby Miller debut! When you have three starting pitchers on the IL for indefinite periods of time, and one out for bereavement leave, you call up two kids who basically got the job done the last couple of days--against one of the best teams in baseball.

Dodgers won, 8-1, and go for the sweep in Atlanta today.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/24/23 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh. A walk-off sac fly by Ozzie Albies, off Dodgers reliever Phil Bickford, broke a 3-3 tie and gave the Braves the win, allowing them to avoid a sweep at Truist Park.

El Gato pitched into the sixth, but didn't quite make it out before leaving the game trailing, 3-1. For Atlanta, Bryce Elder started and worked his way out of several jams throughout his six innings, allowing only one run on a solo shot by Mookie. The Dodgers clawed back with two runs in the eighth, but were turned back in the end.

Now, on to Tampa/St. Petersburg, where the best team in baseball awaits.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/27/23 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can exhale maybe just a little bit now. After a two-game losing streak, and going up against a team that pretty much destroyed them last night, the Dodgers won a close one today, 6-5. The rubber game will be filed under Baseball at Breakfast tomorrow.

I didn't have a good feeling about the series opener, with Thor on the mound. My concerns turned out to be well-founded. He allowed six runs on eight hits, the Rays piled on and won the game, 9-3. And it wasn't just the hits, it was taking extra bases at will, always a concern when Thor is on the mound. The home team used an opener, Jalen Beeks, followed by seven relievers. Cooper Criswell was credited with the win. If nothing else, at least Thor ate some innings and the only arm used out of the Dodgers' bullpen was Justin Bruihl, who pitched the final two innings and allowed three runs.

CK allowed four runs today over five innings pitched, after the Dodgers had struck first with a 3-0 lead off starting pitcher (and Hart High grad) Tyler Glasnow, just activated from the IL. But in the end, L.A. prevailed despite a serious threat in the ninth inning. MadMax, who's been plagued by Ks with RISP lately, and Miggy V. both blasted solo shots. Rays reliever Colin Poche took the loss, and Yency Almonte notched the win for the Dodgers. My eyes almost popped when I saw that his ERA currently sits at 7.36! Yes, he has been inconsistent and wobbly, but I didn't realize to that extent.

TBSP is a tough team and it's clear from the way they've played in this series just why they have the best record in baseball. I hope the Dodgers have it in them to take the series tomorrow, but with Gavin Stone taking the mound again, it'll certainly be the biggest challenge of his young career--and his second time out was against the Braves, a premier team in the NL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 5/27/23 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(and Hart High grad) Tyler Glasnow,

I wonder how Glasnow feels knowing he is associated with another pitcher from Hart High who has embarrassed them. Surprised
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/28/23 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good question. They are two years apart in age, so I'm not sure if they actually played on the same team or not.

So...the Dodgers lost the series in Tampa, but kept coming back at the Rays throughout today's game. In the end, they fell short, 11-10.

Back home tomorrow for Memorial Day and a visit from the Nationals.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/30/23 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers won the first game of the homestand, 6-1, behind a gem pitched by Bobby Miller. Good old Trevor Williams started for the Nationals, and though I generally wish him well, I wasn't unhappy that the Dodgers scored six runs in the fifth inning--especially since all six runs were unearned! Tough loss there.

The big blast for the Dodgers was a three-run shot off the bat of J.D.

El Gato goes tonight. Gavin Stone has been sent down.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 5/30/23 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooting for Trayce, but you have to just wonder how long they can keep him on the roster.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/30/23 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgers win, 9-3, to take the series, with an afternoon game tomorrow. (I'll be there!). Only one thing about tonight's game made me frown--AV's return. I want for him to pitch as well as he previously had before the pitch clock messed up his rhythm...but it appears he's still struggling. Sad

The good--El Gato, six innings, one run allowed, notching the win. He's now 3-1 with a 1.77 ERA. Nationals starter Jake Irvin allowed four runs over five innings and took the loss.

More good--Dodgers defense looked better tonight than it's looked all season.

And...Freddie, 4-for-5 with a home run; two hits apiece for Mookie, Mad Max and Jason Heyward (including a solo shot); J.D. with a two-run homer.

So we'll see what Thor has tomorrow. I surely hope he buckles down and looks out of character based on what we've seen.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/1/23 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say I was unhappy with that loss yesterday. Thor cannot be in the mix anymore. The Dodgers lost, 10-5, but in all fairness only half the scoring by the Nationals came at his expense.

Just really looking forward to CK shining again, whenever that may be--and I'm hoping it's tomorrow against the Yankees! He's had three subpar starts since his mom's death; maybe this is the one in which he gets over the hump.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 6/2/23 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully with all the hype this really does turn out to be a good series.

Another thing. Arizona is now tied with the Dodgers for first place.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/3/23 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading your last comment, Sunny, I have to comment that yes, the Diamondbacks are still tied with the Dodgers because both teams won last night.

And how about them--this classic match-up started off with a bang, the Dodgers scoring six runs in the first inning off Yankees starter Severino Perez.
An 8-4 win brings us to the second game of the series, which is a huge question mark given rookie Michael Grove will be starting for L.A. On the mound for N.Y., of course, will be Gerrit, and that's a challenge enough in itself without speculating how Grove will fare against the Bronx Bombers lineup.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/4/23 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sheesh. The two games I could watch were both Dodger losses (albeit good games), and I missed the onslaught on Friday night because I was at Universal. So the Yankees won the series.

Anyway, the Dodgers head out on the road again, first stop in Cincinnati.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: