Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family ties
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/06 4:25 am    Post subject: Family ties Reply with quote

Although I considered posting this as a side note to the Freeway Series, I thought I'd start a thread about interesting games with brothers on opposing teams (or in some cases, on the same team).

Over the years here in SoCal we've seen a lot of brothers playing with and/or against each other, among them many native sons--the Giles brothers, the Boone brothers, the Gwynn brothers, the Hoffman brothers, and soon the Weaver brothers. At least one brother of all those sets has played for a SoCal team, and in many cases both did. (Note: The Hoffmans are both with the Padres now, Glenn serving as the third base coach and Trevor still in the 'pen.)

Others who are from outside this area included the Martinez brothers, Ramon and Pedro, who both pitched for the Dodgers in the 1990s.

This weekend's Dodgers-Angels series provided a few interesting side notes. Dodger rookie Willy Aybar, just called up in the last couple of weeks, was playing against his Angel counterpart, brother Erick, another rookie who was making his first major league start. The two Aybars, born only ten months apart from each other, escaped a poverty-stricken upbringing in the D.R. and are now both getting a chance to prove themselves in the majors.

The Dodgers and Angels also share another set of brothers--L.A.'s Cesar Izturis and Anaheim's Maicer Izturis, although neither were part of the equation this weekend as they're both on the DL. In addition, a third set of brothers could theoretically have been involved, as former Dodger/current Angel pitcher Jeff Weaver will no doubt soon be reunited with his brother Jered, who's currently pitching in Triple-A Salt Lake. (While Jeff has been pitching horribly so far transitioning back to the AL, the young phenom Jered is reportedly living up to expectations at his level.)

(I suppose I could really stretch this and say if the Dodgers still had Wilton Guerrero, there'd have been yet another family represented on both teams in this series, with Vlad playing for the Angels.)

So I don't know what the record is for sets of brothers playing in the same game, but this one sure had a few twists.

Here are a few excerpts from an L.A. Times article about Saturday's game:

"As Willy Aybar approached second base after belting a three-run home run, Erick Aybar turned his back from shortstop and stared into left field.
As Willy approached third, Erick couldn't help but peek over his shoulder at his brother.

For one day, the battle over a region's bragging rights was colored in bloodlines.

The Aybars, not long removed from an impoverished upbringing in the Dominican Republic, were central figures in the Dodgers' 8-4 victory over the Angels on Saturday at Dodger Stadium.

Willy, 22, made an outstanding backhand stab at third base on the first play of the game, pulled the Dodgers even with the homer in the sixth and triggered a three-run rally in the eighth with a one-out walk.

Erick, 21, made his first major league start and had his first two hits against Brett Tomko, including one that helped fuel a fourth-inning rally that extended the Angels' lead to 4-1.

The Dodgers needed a pinch-hit home run by J.D. Drew to break a 4-4 tie in the seventh inning and solid work by a trio of relievers to hand the Angels their 16th loss in 21 games.

But an intriguing subplot involved the Aybar brothers, born only 10 months apart and able to witness one another flourish on a grand stage one they barely dared dream of growing up in a tiny house on a sewage-infested river in Bani, Dominican Republic.

"We never thought about that, but the world does a lot of turning," Willy said. "I was very happy today."

Anyone can see they are switch-hitting infielders with nearly identical open stances, but only the Aybars know how far they have come. Willy doesn't want to talk about his childhood and Erick left the clubhouse quickly with teammate and new roommate Vladimir Guerrero.

But according to a Washington Post story in 2001, the Aybars slept in the same room as their parents and two sisters in a concrete-and-tin house choked with dust from trucks roaring down a nearby dirt road. When the river overflowed during the rainy season, water would seep into the house and the family would flee to a nearby school for shelter.

Willy and Erick learned to hit using whittled branches and dropped out of school at the urging of an amateur scout to pursue their baseball dream full time. Willy signed with the Dodgers in 2001 for $1.4 million and Erick signed with the Angels for $100,000 a year later.

Here they stood, in front of a sellout crowd at Dodger Stadium, playing integral roles in a Southland grudge match.

Before the game, Tomko probed Willy on how to pitch to his brother. "Just throw the ball past him," was all he would offer.

Tomko grinned and replied, "I can respect that. If my brother was in the big leagues, I wouldn't tell anybody how to get him out, either."

Not that they didn't try to beat one another at every opportunity. Erick thought he caught Willy napping in the eighth, laying a bunt down the third base line. Willy, however, smartly let the ball roll foul.

...And more than watching his brother in his first major league start, the outcome was especially pleasing to Willy Aybar, who is batting .391 while filling in for the injured Bill Mueller.

"We're winning, and that's good," he said.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 8/26/06 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/06 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the chance to watch Jared Weaver pitch live and in person against the Tacoma Rainiers. He was phenominal! I think the R's won the game but only after Weaver was removed from the game and the bullpen took over.

You forgot about the Molina Brothers...all three of them, Jose, Benji, and Yadier (sp). I think the youngest is the best of the three, at least defensively.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/06 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You forgot about the Molina Brothers...all three of them, Jose, Benji, and Yadier

Well, I thought about them but only one is involved in the Freeway Series anymore. I probably could have mentioned that over the last couple of years two of them were a big part of it, though. They were sure a huge part of the '02 Angels winning it all.

I'm sure Pads4ever will have something to say about Bengie, though since she's a huge fan. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/06 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In addition, a third set of brothers could theoretically have been involved, as former Dodger/current Angel pitcher Jeff Weaver will no doubt soon be reunited with his brother Jered, who's currently pitching in Triple-A Salt Lake. (While Jeff has been pitching horribly so far transitioning back to the AL, the young phenom Jered is reportedly living up to expectations at his level.)

If Jeff doesn't watch out, he can be replaced by brother Jered.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/25/06 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...Jered threw a five-hit shutout against New Orleans on Monday with no walks, extending his scoreless innings streak to 27.1. He is 4-1 with a 1.89 ERA. It must have rubbed off, as I heard Jeff finally had a good outing last night.

Incidentally, both Izturis brothers, Maicer and Cesar, begin rehab assignments this weekend. Strange timing!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/21/06 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha...it's been a month since I started this thread, but once again, I find the timing coincidental.

On the day after the Dodgers' Cesar Izturis was activated from the DL (he has been on it for nearly a year, since last July), his brother Maicer--who'd just finished a rehab assignment himself--hit a game-winning double in the eighth inning at San Francisco this afternoon, helping the Angels to beat Cesar's team's archrival, the Giants.

Who says they don't know how to help each other out?
Smile

Let's go, little Izzys!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/6/06 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this to be more than a little eerie, from the L.A. Times:

"Maicer Izturis Settles In at Third"
By Bill Shaikin, Times Staff Writer
July 5, 2006

SEATTLE The Angels won the World Series with Troy Glaus, the prototypical slugging third baseman. In their scramble for a third consecutive American League West division championship, their new third baseman is Maicer Izturis.

..."We won a division with [Chone] Figgins as our third baseman," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "You have to look at how the pieces fit. Right now, Izzy fits as an everyday third baseman."

The Angels started the season with Figgins at third, then moved him to center field to replace the injured Darin Erstad. With the power-hitting Dallas McPherson injured, Izturis is third in line at third base.

"I'm still learning how to play third base," said Izturis, a shortstop by trade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are the odds on two brothers, both playing for teams in the same region, both returning from the DL around the same time, both natural shortstops, both coming back as starting third basemen?

It's almost like deja vu, except it's happening at the same time.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Thu 7/6/06 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is eearie. Is Maicer playing as good as our Izzy?

Funny that to us Dodger fans, when we hear the name Izzy, we think of our little Cesar Izturis. In Anaheim they think of Maicer.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/18/06 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been following Maicer since the Freeway Series ended, but I do know this...our Izzy became a dad again yesterday! He left St. Louis early for that. Congrats to Cesar and Liliana on the arrival of baby girl Daniella.

And, while on the subject of family ties, how's this for a nice sibling performance? From today's L.A. Times, about Stephen Drew of the Diamondbacks, who recorded his first major league hit on Monday night, coincidentally coming against his brother's team:

"Big Night for Drew Brothers"

By Steve Henson, Times Staff Writer
July 18, 2006

PHOENIX Want to become a top draft pick? Turn off the television.
That's advice from the Drew brothers, the only family with three siblings drafted in the first round.

The oldest, J.D., played on the same field as his youngest brother, Stephen, for the first time in an organized game Monday. Middle brother Tim, a pitcher rehabilitating a shoulder injury, will join their parents in the stands tonight.

They'll watch a ballgame. Just not on television.

"We didn't have cable until I was 18, and we rarely watched any TV," J.D. said. "We played sports and spent our time outdoors."

J.D., the Dodgers' right fielder, is two years older than Tim, a right-hander in the Colorado Rockies organization, and nearly eight years older than Stephen, who made his debut as the Arizona Diamondbacks' shortstop Saturday and got his first hit Monday against Aaron Sele.

By the time Stephen began playing baseball, J.D. was in high school, so the only time they played together was in the yard of their Hahira, Ga., home.
"The last time we played together we used ghost runners," J.D. said.

All that backyard baseball developed skills that made all three Drews highly sought prospects. And eventually made them wealthy.

J.D. was the second overall pick in 1996 and refused to sign. He was taken fifth by St. Louis the next year and signed for $3 million. Tim was picked by Cleveland at the end of the first round in 1997 and signed for $1.6 million. Stephen was the 15th overall pick in 2004, signing for a guaranteed minimum $5.5 million one day before he would have gone back in the draft.

Money aside, the Drews were thrilled to be on the same field even if
they were wearing different uniforms.

Stephen made outstanding plays on ground balls in the second and fourth innings, and J.D. ran down a long fly ball to end the fourth after Stephen had stolen third base.

"I was fired up," J.D. said. "You have the circumstance of him making his debut then playing four games against us. It's fun."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 7/19/06 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolest thing...

I'll post it in the other thread too, but I think this is very appropriate here. Anthony Gwynn, Jr., called up last weekend by the Milwaukee Brewers, got his first major league hit today...24 years to the date after his dad did the same.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 7/19/06 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I was fired up," J.D. said. "You have the circumstance of him making his debut then playing four games against us. It's fun."

I am glad there is something that can fire J.D. up.

Linda: Eric Byrne is the name I was trying to remember. He made a great catch last night. He is the one that could recite the presidents in order. There was a shot of him at end where he is messing up his hair. I just had to laugh 'cause sometimes I do that. He is so goofy. Ok, back to your regular programming....
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 7/19/06 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
The coolest thing...

I'll post it in the other thread too, but I think this is very appropriate here. Anthony Gwynn, Jr., called up last weekend by the Milwaukee Brewers, got his first major league hit today...24 years to the date after his dad did the same.

That is cool. Doesn't everybody love Tony Gwynn? Cool

I don't think I read this thread before either. Andy Benes faced Alan Benes in my favorite MLB rivalry at Wrigley Field a few years ago.
Sandi

PostPosted: Wed 7/19/06 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy,

Did Alan and Andy face each other more than once? I remember them pitching against each other in Busch Stadium but not at Wrigley. I had the best luck the very next day, getting both Alan and Andy to sign the newspaper photo of Andy getting a hit off Alan. One of my favorite autographs to date.

BTW, I got chosen to serve on a jury today... my first day to report. I couldn't believe it. It's a boring civil case, though. The other panel got to hear a criminal case. I'll be there all day tomorrow, too. Should end by 6:00 p.m. tomorrow at the latest. It's kinda messing with my plans to get some things accomplished at work and personally (like getting a new tire put on!) before I leave for Colorado on Sunday. But I always wanted to be called for jury duty, so I'm not complaining.
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 7/19/06 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi wrote:
Did Alan and Andy face each other more than once?

I believe they did now that you mention it.

Sandi wrote:
BTW, I got chosen to serve on a jury today... my first day to report. I couldn't believe it. It's a boring civil case, though. The other panel got to hear a criminal case. I'll be there all day tomorrow, too. Should end by 6:00 p.m. tomorrow at the latest. It's kinda messing with my plans to get some things accomplished at work and personally (like getting a new tire put on!) before I leave for Colorado on Sunday. But I always wanted to be called for jury duty, so I'm not complaining.

Cool...I've been called before, but not chosen. Actually, right before they would have started selecting, the case was settled out of court.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/22/06 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww...everyone here should read this; it's so sweet. Smile

And it makes me feel old because I remember this too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Sat 7/22/06 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Awww...everyone here should read this; it's so sweet. Smile

And it makes me feel old because I remember this too.

Does anyone else think that this is fuzzy math?

Quote:
Big Tony was 22 that day. Little Tony is 22 now.

Quote:
Alisia, of course, was also in the stands the day her young husband got his first hit: Section 31, Row 4, Seat 9, up on the plaza level on the first-base side. "I still have the ticket stub," she said. "I was eight months pregnant with Little Tony in my stomach."
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/22/06 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy, you're reading my mind. I went back to read the article and noticed that the second time around. I was just coming back to get the link again so I could write to Barry Bloom. He heard from me a lot when he was a Tribune sportswriter. Smile

FYI Alisia was pregnant with little Tony (more like six months, unless she carried him past term), as he was born in '82, and he will be 24 in October, so apparently is 23 now.

Still an excellent article, though.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Sat 7/22/06 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Still an excellent article, though.

Yep. Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/31/06 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear with me here. This is really getting weird.

Notice how I wrote about the three sets of brothers who were involved in the Dodgers-Angels series in interleague play. (These two teams play their home games 30 miles apart.)

Then, notice how more recently, I wrote about the Izturis brothers, who were both ending stints on the DL and starting rehab at the same time. After that, both players switched positions, from shortstop to third, at the same time. Eerie enough.

I must tell you all, I am one of those old-fashioned people who actually gets the newspaper delivered to my doorstep and reads the "real" sports section, from front to back page, as opposed to the on-line version. Perusing it this weekend was a real test to see how closely I was paying attention.

Yesterday, both Izturis brothers were the heros of their respective games. The Dodgers beat the Nationals, with little Cesar getting the big game-winning hit (not knowing it would be his last as a Dodger), and Maicer came through offensively for the Angels as they beat the Red Sox.

Of course, in the regional newspaper known as the Times, the feats of both brothers were heralded. I had been flipping through Sports, saw the headline "Izturis comes through", and thought, "Oh, I already saw that article." Oops, it was the Angels game coverage...not the Dodgers report, which I'd read earlier.

The Aybar brothers were the other set I wrote about, with both Willy and Erick bouncing up and down between the majors and Triple A this season. Both were with their big league clubs when the teams first met in the Freeway Series.

Now Willy is gone, to Atlanta...only one Aybar left. But wait, did I just read Aybar is on the trading block and it fell through? Oh sorry, that was Erick.

Which deal is which? Upon further examination: "The Angels thought they were close to landing (Miguel) Tejada...with an offer of pitcher Ervin Santana and triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar, but the Orioles rejected that."

And, Cesar is gone, to Chicago...only one Izturis left in SoCal.

Forgive me here...my head is still kind of spinning.

Rolling Eyes Question

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 3/4/10 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 8/2/06 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, Cesar is gone, to Chicago...only one Izturis left in SoCal.

Forgive me here...my head is still kind of spinning.

Rolling Eyes Question

See Linda. no more confusing them as one Izturis and one Aybar are gone. I am glad that both got hits in their first game with a new club. I saw one cub fan complaining already about Izzy in the Dodger forum but I know that they would love his defense and I think his bat will improve.

I wish the Anaheim team would have made that trade as I think would have been a bad trade for them giving up Santana.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/2/06 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More about Greg Maddux:

Quote:
Maddux's brother, Mike, played for the Dodgers in 1990 and 1999, making the duo the ninth pair of siblings in franchise history, joining Con and Ed Daily, Jim and Mickey Hughes, Ramon and Pedro Martinez, Dave and Steve Sax, Larry and Norm Sherry, Chris and Johnny Van Cuyk, Lloyd and Paul Waner, and Zack and Mack Wheat.

Ramon and Pedro Martinez! Oh, the days...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/13/06 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned awhile back, I did not want Jered Weaver to break any of Fernando Valenzuela's rookie marks, but now that he has had two no-decisions following a 7-0 start out of the gate, I'm kind of back on his side (sorry Crz, I know how you feel about the Angels/Devils).

An interesting twist took place this weekend as he shut down the Bronx Bombers in Yankee Stadium--the home ballpark of his brother Jeff, just a few short years ago--for his eighth victory against no losses:

"Angels Ace At Home in Whitey's House"

Weaver shows no fear in Yankee Stadium crucible, pitching six strong innings in Angels' 5-3 win, and closes in on Yankees great Ford's rookie milestone.

By Mike DiGiovanna, Times Staff Writer
5:47 PM PDT, August 13, 2006

NEW YORK Jered Weaver couldn't corral Fernando Valenzuela in baseball's record books, but he has another of the game's legends in his sights, a New York Yankees Hall of Famer who went 236-106 and pitched in 11 World Series, a little left-hander by the name of Whitey Ford.

Weaver, showing no fear in one of baseball's most intimidating environments, gave up one run and three hits in six innings of the Angels' 5-3 victory in Yankee Stadium on Sunday, improving to 8-0 and ending a string of three consecutive no-decisions.

The rookie right-hander fell one short of Valenzuela's 1981 record of wins in his first eight big-league starts, but with one more victory the former Long Beach State star would become the first American League pitcher to win his first nine decisions since Ford went 9-0 as a rookie in 1950.

"Let's get there first," Weaver said, downplaying the significance of his achievement.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/17/06 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamondbacks rookie Stephen Drew and brother J.D. make history.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/19/06 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in the company of Hall of Famer Whitey Ford as a rookie pitcher?

Not bad at all.

He even got a Dirtbags reference in:

Quote:
"It felt like I was at Long Beach State again, having all those people standing up and cheering like it was the last inning...Obviously, you're going to show a little bit of emotion when people are feeding back, and when I was able to get that last strikeout I couldn't help but get a little pumped up over that."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/24/06 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jered finally got his first major league loss tonight. Too bad for him, given that he only allowed one run. His ERA is still scintillating even after the Angels lost.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
CardinalFan4Life

PostPosted: Sat 8/26/06 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Family ties Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Although I considered posting this as a side note to the Freeway Series, I thought I'd start a thread about interesting games with brothers on opposing teams (or in some cases, on the same team).

Speaking of brothers, I have to bring up the three Boyer brothers. Yes, you read correctly -- 3 Boyer brothers (all 3 were born in Missouri, although each was born in a different Missouri town). Most people aren't aware of a 3rd Boyer ... Cloyd who pitched for the Cardinals 1949-1952.

But Clete and Kenny are pretty well known, at least by most of us over the age of 50. Shocked Ken Boyer had a very good career, including winning the NL MVP in that special season 1964 (he was in the running for the NL MVP for 7 other seasons). As a Cardinals fan, I'm probably more familiar with Kenny (he was my favorite Cardinal player when I was growing up; I remember how mad I was when the Cardinals traded him ... it was my first taste of the transient nature of players' tenures with teams). Maybe my Cardinal fanaticism is showing, but I believe Kenny should be in the HOF. Kenny had a better bat than Clete and wasn't too shabby with the glove; he won the NL Gold Glove at 3B 5 seasons, where Clete didn't win a Gold Glove until he was in the NL in 1969. However, that's no reflection on Clete's defensive abilities (he probably had a better glove than Kenny) -- it's more of a reflection of the competition he had in the running for the AL Gold Gloves (Brooks Robinson who was a lock for the Gold Glove from 1960-1975).

I was 13 in 1964, and that season was monumental in my development into a baseball fan. I was at the right age to understand the intricacies and nuances of baseball, and what better season to "come of age" than 1964.

I'll never forget Kenny's grand slam in the 1964 World Series. It looked like the Yankees were going to shut the Cardinals down, when the Cardinals loaded the bases in the top of the 6th. Boyer connected with Al Downing's pitch into the LF seats, and the Cardinals emerged with a 4-3 victory, evening the series at 2-2. A case might be made that game 4 turned the tide on the World Series. Some may not realize that WS history was made when Kenny and Clete homered in the same game (game 7).
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/26/06 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading about the third Boyer brother somewhere, but thanks for filling us in on the background.

It's also interesting how those World Series quirks go.

Tony Gwynn is a first-ballot Hall of Famer and has eight batting titles, all in a 20-year career with the same team, but never played for a world championship team with the Padres.

By contrast, his brother Chris, in a comparably unremarkable career, won a world championship with the Dodgers.

Love the Gwynn brothers!

It's also going to be interesting to see if Trevor Hoffman makes it into the Hall of Fame. Between Hoffy and Gwynn, that would be really interesting to have two players on the same team in the HOF, both having had brothers with the same team (all Padres).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/19/06 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to have been an awful lot of talk about brothers lately, what with the Weaver brothers, the Sherry brothers (timely as of yesterday), and now this.

It appears the Padres have yet another pair, the Giles brothers.

Both are natives of this area, and Marcus joins Brian having come over from Atlanta.

As mentioned above, they have enjoyed the services of Tony and Chris Gwynn, and also currently those of Trevor and Glenn Hoffman. Tony is destined for the Hall of Fame and so, more than likely, is Trevor.

It's not likely either Giles bro will, but it will be nice to see them playing on the same team.

The Friars really like to keep it in the family...also a lot easier for their parents, I imagine. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 4/8/07 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you you may remember I live in Toms River, NJ and one of our local little leagues won the 1998 Little League World Series Cahmpionship. We have a very successful program and have been to Williamsport three times. First in 1995 where our boys went to the final game but fell short. 1998 we won and in 1999 we went to the tournament and fell short in the semi finals.

Toms River has three brothers who have been amazing in baseball and have all been drafted by ML teams. They are the Frazier boys.

Charlie, is the oldest who gradutaed from Toms River high school South in 1999. While at South, he helped catapult the baseball team to win the 1998 Group 3 championship. He was well known for his basketball skills too but ended up being darfted by the Florida Marlins in the 6th round of the amatuer draft that year. He played for the Marlins in AA for six seasons. he left the Marlins organization in 2005 to become a teacher and is now finishing up his teaching drgree at Thomas Ediosn State College. He is currently an assistant Varsity baseball coach at TR South.

Jeff, who was on the 1995 TRELL WS team that fell short, graduated from HS South in 2001. He was a two time all state player and the Star Ledger (Nj newspaper) player of the year in 2001. After graduating hs, Jeff went on to play at Rutgers University where he lead in the ALL-Big East Conference in batting average at .382. During his junior year, he finished the season with 16 doubles, 13 homeruns,and 59 RBI. He was named a second all american by Baseball America and USA Today. He left Rutgers as the school's all time home run leader with 34. In 2004 he was drafted by the Dtroit Tigers in the 3rd round. He played in their minor league sysytem for three season where he was 30-for037 in stolen bases, led the midwest league in doubles (45) and tied the league in extra base hits (61). Following the 2004 season, Baseball America rated him as having the "best outfield arm" in the Tigers organization. Jeff was recently aquired by the Seattle Mariners where is is lsated to play AA in their Southern League as an outfileder.

The bay of the family is Todd. He worked in my store for two summers, nice kid, has a good head on his shoulders. Todd graduted from HS South in 2004. Not to be outdone by his brothers, Todd shattered their records and recored two state championships before graduating. He lead South to two back to back championships in 2002 and 2003. His outstanding play was recognized and he was named Ocean County player of the year two times and Star Ledger Player of the year in 2004. he was also a three time All State, All County and All Shore selection. He finished his career at South with a .433 batting average and holds the school record for hits (121), stolen bases (seventy eight), single season home runs (12) and career homeruns (26). Todd Was drafted in the 39th round of the amatuer draft out of high school by the Colorado Rockies. Toss opted to go to Rutgers where he is a junior now. Last year he was named a first team All-Big East selection and was a two time first team All-State selection by the NJ college baseball association. He lead the team in BA, runs, total bases, sluggin percentage,hits, triples, walks, OBP and stolen bases.......WOW! In addition to his play at Rutgers, Todd earned a spot on USA Baseball National team in 2006. He is one of only 2 Rutgers players to ever earn a spot on that team.He is ready for the 2007 season and was named 27th best baseball prospect in the world!

Toms River is a big town, we have three high schools (South, North and East) and each school has been recognized for various sports. We have been blesed with a few great althletes who have made it to the pros. JM Gold was a pitcher form HS North, drafted by the Brewers he was an amazing pitcher who brough many scouts to our area. He is currently part owner of Hit Dogs, an indoor baseball facility that tutors kids. A career ending injury ended his pitching career. Former MLB pitchers Mark and Al Lieter grew up in Bayville NJ, the next town over. Today Mark resides in Toms River and his Son ,Mark Jr, attends HS North. He pitches on the JV team with one of my supervisor's kids. I hear he is one to watch.

So, there is the latest on my hometown heros that I have mentioned and one to watch in the future.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/8/07 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and was named 27th best baseball prospect in the world!

By who? There are so many sources who put out these lists, and I don't recognize his name from the ones I usually consult. I have seen him on the top 50 U.S. list on baseballamerica.com.

This is a great report; I can see why you are excited. Best of luck to them all, unless one ends up being on a team opposing one of my teams, LOL. Keep us posted on their progress, and meanwhile, I will keep an eye out for news on them when I'm doing research.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: