Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Injuries
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la_periodista

PostPosted: Thu 9/15/05 9:34 pm    Post subject: Strange Injuries Reply with quote

Over the last few seasons, I've heard some pretty strange injury stories for Major League players. This may sound like a goofy topic, but some of the ways that players get injured are just so... weird that I would like to hear some more stories. Here are some I remember:

Former D'Backs pitcher Brian Anderson was like a walking bad luck charm. He cut himself opening a cologne bottle and once touched an iron to his face to see if it was hot.
If I remember correctly, Vin Scully mentioned that Clint Barmes' injury was from falling down a staircase while carrying deer meat up some steps at Todd Helton's ranch.
Marty Cordova missed a couple games after getting burned in the face while using a tanning bed.
When Jeff Kent was injured a couple seasons ago (I think with a broken wrist or hand), some people said it was from falling off his motorcycle, while others said it was from washing his automobile.
Adam Eaton stabbed himself pretty bad in the abs while using scissors to open a DVD.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/15/05 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about Jim Colburn's injury from walking out to the mound too much?
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri 9/16/05 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Coleman and the man-eating tarp incident in the 1980's.

Mike Matheny and the birthday hunting knife incident in 2000.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 9/16/05 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about when Sammy Sosa sneezed?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 9/22/05 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Penny left tonight's Diamondbacks-Dodgers game in the first inning. (See other thread, "Bizarre Season.") That was cause for concern, but not so weird.

From dodgers.com:

"Penny's injury nearly obscured the fact that Jeff Kent was a pregame scratch with a stiff lower back. Kent said the injury was 'more from the bed in San Francisco than anything,' that he's never had a history of back problems and that with medication and treatment, 'it won't be a big issue.' "

Bed in San Francisco, I don't want to go there...

Someone who's been in the majors as long as JK has and has never had a history of back problems, ends up like this?

Is the Big Dodger in the Sky sleeping on the job, or what???
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/4/05 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harpo already mentioned this in another thread, but honestly, Padres ace pitcher Jake Peavy is out for the postseason with an injured rib sustained DURING LAST WEEK'S POSTGAME MELEE? Ironically, after celebrating with his teammates, he certainly didn't seem to do his teammates any favors by staying in the game today.

From padres.com:

"Peavy said he first sustained the injury during last Wednesday night's celebration at Petco Park after the Padres clinched the NL West title with a win against the Giants. It happened in the initial scrum when the Padres players ran toward Trevor Hoffman, who closed the game, on the mound.

'We were jumping around on the field,' Peavy said. 'The next day I thought I had some bruised ribs, that I caught an elbow or something. But I never would've imagined it would have been this.'

Peavy was treated last week for the injury by Padres head trainer Todd Hutcheson, but he did his regular work on the side and figured he would be fine to pitch in the game.

'We thought it was unlikely that he had fractured a rib,' Hutcheson said. 'We didn't even X-ray it.'

Evidently, though, Peavy didn't tell anyone how badly he felt until he came out of the game, went into the training room and confided in Hutcheson, 'My ribs are killing me.'

'We didn't find out about it until after the game,' Bochy said. 'He didn't tell us, and I don't think he was smart about it. It's hard to pitch with that kind of [injury]. We would have pinch-hit for him early if we would've known, but he didn't let me or [pitching coach] Darren Balsley know. We had no inclination that there was something wrong. That was Jake being competitive, but we certainly would've liked to have known about it.'

While throwing to Larry Walker during the third inning with the bases jammed, Peavy caught his spike in the dirt as he came down on his delivery and nearly tumbled to the ground. The 55-foot changeup skipped past catcher Ramon Hernandez, with the Cardinals' second run of the day scoring on the wild pitch.

Bochy and Balsley said Peavy sustained the injury well before that incident, although Peavy noted that it began to feel worse at that juncture. Peavy said he hit his ribs on his thigh as he stumbled off the mound.

'The longer I tried to stay out there, the worse it got,' Peavy said. 'I hit it in the third on something freaky like that. I knew it was pretty bad when I came out of the game. I was having trouble breathing. I was having trouble throwing the fastball.'

-Baseball Hall of Fame
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Wed 10/5/05 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone else who is suspicious of his explanation of the rib injury? I mean...either he would have been in a lot of pain for a while (I think) and someone should have known.....or maybe it didn't happen back at celebration time. Maybe I just have a suspcious mind...but it sounded suspect to me.

Ruth
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 10/5/05 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teks tangibles wrote:
Is there anyone else who is suspicious of his explanation of the rib injury? I mean...either he would have been in a lot of pain for a while (I think) and someone should have known.....or maybe it didn't happen back at celebration time. Maybe I just have a suspcious mind...but it sounded suspect to me.

Ruth

You are not the only suspicious Tek, I was thinking the maybe it happened after the public celebration.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Wed 10/5/05 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he fell off his motorcycle while washing his truck.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 2/18/07 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was getting a little rusty--it's been over a year since anyone's posted in it! Smile

However, to get the ball rolling after Kerry Wood's mishap (which would qualify under this heading), and Joe Beimel's poor judgment last October in New York, how about these:

1. From today's L.A. Times, "(Dodger pitcher Brett) Tomko had a minor setback Sunday, stepping in a hole in his front yard and spraining his right ankle while walking his dog. He skipped conditioning exercises and might not throw in bullpen today."

2. Cincinnati's Ken Griffey Jr. finally admitted the origin of injury on his broken hand during the offseason:

Quote:
After months of rampant speculation, the Reds center fielder revealed that he broke his left hand in December while wrestling with his three children on the family yacht in the Bahamas.

Griffey explained that he was wrestling with his two youngest children, Tevin and Taryn, when then-12-year-old son Trey joined in. It was at that point when an awkward fall had the elder Griffey land on his left throwing hand.

I know I heard something about David Wells (always good for a story like this) doing something over the offseason too, but didn't know if it would be relevant now since he was considering retirement at the time.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/27/07 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukee Brewers manager Ned Yost tripped while jogging near Wrigley Field this week, and broke his collarbone. As usual there was more to the story and Yost is surrounded by others who've endured other strange injuries:

Quote:
When reporters sat down in his office for the usual afternoon briefing, Yost was downloading songs onto his iPod. He gave no indication that he was banged up.

"I usually get here at 11:30 or 12, jog down to the lake and I have a little three-to-five mile run that I do every day," he revealed Wednesday morning. "I was coming back and the sidewalk was all broke up, and I just caught an edge on one of the broken pieces and I slammed [to the ground]."

Yost was in front of a police station on Addison Street when he fell on his right side. He rolled twice and jumped up, trying to act as if nothing had happened. Once he got around the corner, he had to stop.

"I felt like an idiot," Yost said.

His middle son, Josh, called to give dad some flak. Josh is the family daredevil and suffered his own broken collarbone last year in a spill on his dirt bike during a spring training visit.

Ironically, Yost's oldest son, Ned IV, a Brewers minor leaguer, suffered his own weird injury over the weekend. The younger Ned was swimming in the ocean near his Brevard County, Fla., residence on an off-day Sunday when he was picked up by a wave and crashed into a friend. He will be sidelined about a week, dad said.

But Brewers reliever Matt Wise stayed mum about his skipper's mishap. Wise cut a finger on his pitching hand while using salad tongs last summer in Kansas City and took more than his share of grief from Yost.

"I think I'll leave him alone on this one", Wise said.

Moving on...

The L.A. Times reported earlier this week, as the Dodgers-Giants series got underway, that "Johnny Garcia, the batboy who suffered a fractured cheekbone when a foul ball caromed off the wall in foul territory during the last homestand, (was) back at work (at) his post along the right-field line (Tuesday)."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Fri 4/27/07 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/21A289A0310F1B82862572CA0013E964?OpenDocument

Quote:
Left fielder Chris Duncan, rushing to the park so he could make it in time for the early game, suffered a 12-stitch gash on the top of his head as he banged into a ceiling at his apartment complex as he attempted to jump down three steps.

Duncan arrived just before gametime with his head shaved in a circle around the cut to make room for the stitches.

"It kind of just split open," he said. "I can't see it so I don't know what it looks like. It started bleeding pretty good."

Regardless, Duncan collected a key pinch-hit double in the eighth inning.
jimedmondsfan

PostPosted: Mon 4/30/07 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember MattyMo spraining his ankle, jumping down a couple steps in a hotel lobby (was that in 04)?
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Mon 4/30/07 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the pitcher ( I would almost swear it was a Gnat pitcher) but the game was in Montreal and he broke his arm THROWING a pitch? Weirdest thing I've ever heard, this is a true story...I didn't see the game but I did see the replay on ESPN...Maybe 10 years or more?

LINDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Wink
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Tue 5/1/07 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Injuries Reply with quote

la_periodista wrote:
Over the last few seasons, I've heard some pretty strange injury stories for Major League players. This may sound like a goofy topic, but some of the ways that players get injured are just so... weird that I would like to hear some more stories. Here are some I remember:

Former D'Backs pitcher Brian Anderson was like a walking bad luck charm. He cut himself opening a cologne bottle and once touched an iron to his face to see if it was hot.
If I remember correctly, Vin Scully mentioned that Clint Barmes' injury was from falling down a staircase while carrying deer meat up some steps at Todd Helton's ranch.
Marty Cordova missed a couple games after getting burned in the face while using a tanning bed.
When Jeff Kent was injured a couple seasons ago (I think with a broken wrist or hand), some people said it was from falling off his motorcycle, while others said it was from washing his automobile.
Adam Eaton stabbed himself pretty bad in the abs while using scissors to open a DVD.

Brian Anderson "touched an iron to his face to see if it was hot !"
That is sheer stupidity...
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Sun 5/6/07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, Freddy Garcia was injuried after running into an equipment cart and was later hauled off the field on said cart.

Isn't that like being hit by an ambulance? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Link is: here
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/2/07 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From mlb.com:

DENVER -- Rockies left fielder and All-Star candidate Matt Holliday left a 4-2 loss to the Reds after four innings because of what the club called a "head contusion" he suffered in the dugout, which wasn't the safest of places around baseball on Friday.

Beyond what, where and when, the Rockies offered little information on the Holliday incident.

"He really bumped his head in the dugout, hit his head in the dugout, hard enough to where we had to bring him out of the game," manager Clint Hurdle said. Then he added, in an effort to cut off a follow-up question. "That's all I've got."

...At least Holliday doesn't have to answer the questions that flew in Chicago, when Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano slapped catcher Michael Barrett in the dugout during an 8-5 loss to the Braves. Later, Barrett had to be treated at a local hospital for a cut lip after the two had a confrontation in the clubhouse.

Rockies first baseman Todd Helton said he didn't see Holliday's injury, which apparently was an individual effort. But he good-naturedly compared the result to something you'd find in the fruit bin.

"I saw him right afterwards, and it looked pretty painful," Helton said. "It was on the top of his head. It was a cantaloupe, grapefruit, I don't know."

The Rockies are no strangers to unusual injuries. In 2005, outfielder Dustan Mohr suffered a calf strain emerging from the dugout to celebrate Clint Barmes' Opening Day home run.

Later that season, Barmes suffered a broken collarbone and revealed that he slipped while carrying a bag of deer meat up the stairs at his apartment.

Also, in 2001, pitcher Mike Hampton missed a start because of neck pain, which he blamed on hotel beds and pillows. He carried an orthopedic pillow on the team's next road trip.

Full article here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, from the L.A. Times, yesterday:

"The Yankees' Jason Giambi will be out at least three weeks after tearing tissue in his left foot while rounding the bases on a home run."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sat 7/21/07 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about missing a start for eating bad Mahi mahi ? It happened Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/11/07 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on dodgers.com during the first inning of tonight's game:

LOS ANGELES -- Derek Lowe, scheduled to start Wednesday night's game for the Dodgers against the Padres, was accidentally struck on his pitching hand by a throw from Jonathan Broxton while they played catch in the outfield during batting practice before Tuesday night's game. The ball struck the top of Lowe's right hand below the thumb and index finger. The area was discolored and swollen. He was treated with ice and had the hand taped to minimize swelling.

"It hurts," Lowe said as he came off the field.

Broxton, who has a fastball that was clocked at 100 mph this year, said Lowe attempted to catch the throw with his glove in an awkward backhand position. The ball missed the glove and struck Lowe's bare right hand.

Lowe has had a roller-coaster year that included missing a start for the first time last month because of an injury to his hip or groin area. He gave no indication that he would not be able to make Wednesday night's start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So why is that the lead story? I don't know if I want him pitching if there is even the slightest injury. He does not pitch well under those circumstances.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jimedmondsfan

PostPosted: Wed 9/12/07 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can not have a thread like this without any mention of JD Drew--the KING of weird injuries!

Missed games because of sleeping wrong, because he twisted an ankle walking down the dugout steps, because he went swimming in a cold pond and got a stiff neck, because he pulled a muscle in his leg running down a fly ball in Wrigley's uneven outfield...just to name a few!!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/12/07 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I'm more concerned about the immediacy of the Lowe situation right now. Rolling Eyes Question Question We are barely hanging on by a thread and the Padres already are missing facing Penny this series, just like they did last time.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 9/12/07 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh that totally bums me out about Lowe. When I was in jury duty today I was looking at pitching matchups and thought it was great that he was pitching tonight. I'll try and stay up to see what happens with your game tonight but I sure hope he is ok. I know his season has been up and down but there sure some games that he didn't get the run support. I know the game I went to in LA he went 9 innings. It was a great game for him but unfortunately he didn't get the win. I hate when that happens.
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 9/12/07 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I was in jury duty today..

Thanks for the reminder Stlred! I think is next week I go to Jury Duty and I have the JR papers at work. Need to bring home as I don't want to go back all the way to work when I need to report to Downtown. At least is close to Dodger Stadium.
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 9/12/07 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Harpo has jury duty next week. Is that weird or what? This is the first time I had it and of course I got but on a attempted murder case. I don't have the time to go into it but it ended up a 11-1 miss trial. It will stick with me forever. I saw things I never ever want to see again.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/10/07 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Meant to post this earlier.

Tigers pitcher Joel Zumaya was injured while moving personal items from his home during the recent wildfires in southeastern San Diego County, and underwent surgery at Scripps Clinic in S.D. last week for AC joint reconstruction (right shoulder).

Quote:
The club is hopeful Zumaya will return to pitching at the mid-season point in 2008.

Remember, this is a kid who had an impressive rookie season, then missed most of his sophomore year (the recently completed season) on the DL. Now for this to happen as the result of a (thankfully-averted) threat to his home, is just really unfortunate.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Sun 11/11/07 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember, this is a kid who had an impressive rookie season, then missed most of his sophomore year (the recently completed season) on the DL. Now for this to happen as the result of a (thankfully-averted) threat to his home, is just really unfortunate.

Oh yeah I remember, I had Zumaya in my fantasy baseball team for the last two years.
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 11/13/07 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad and unfortunate injury. I hope he recovers faster than anticipated.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/08 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes for a quick recovery to Astros outfielder Hunter Pence, who fell through a sliding glass door in his Florida home last night and sustained minor injuries.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/1/08 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay--nobody has helped me keep this one updated, but we have had some out-of-the-ordinary injuries over the past month or so. These aren't "news" per se, but I'm trying to catch up retroactively:

From the San Francisco Chronicle, following the Giants' loss to Pirates in Pittsburgh (5/8/08 ) :

Quote:
Notes: The game was played through steady rain but never delayed. ... (Giants manager Bruce) Bochy slipped in the wet dugout and hit his head. He could be seen being attended to by training personnel but was fine after the game.

Also from the Chronicle (5/17/08 ) :

Quote:
Jason Isringhausen pitched three times after cutting his pitching hand, apparently from striking a television in frustration, and having it get infected before the St. Louis Cardinals placed their bedraggled closer on the 15-day disabled list.

More recently, Padres pitcher Shawn Estes fell and suffered a fractured left thumb on Friday.

From padres.com:

Quote:
...Estes suffered the fracture Friday after falling down the stairs that lead from the visiting clubhouse to the dugout at AT&T Park during the Padres' 7-3 victory in 13 innings over the Giants.

"I just fell ... I stepped wrong," Estes said. "I put my hand down to catch myself and my body weight came down on my thumb. I don't know how it happened."

Estes becomes the third member of the Padres rotation to land on the disabled list. Jake Peavy (sprained right elbow) and Chris Young (nasal fracture) have also landed on the DL this month.

...Estes, who was 1-1 with a 3.33 ERA in five games (four starts), missed the entire 2007 season after having Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery in 2006.

Estes made his season debut for the Padres on May 8 in Atlanta and had given the team a lift after replacing right-hander Justin Germano in the rotation.

"It's borderline depressing," Estes said before the start of Saturday's game against the Giants. "I'm going to stay away from the Golden Gate Bridge for the next couple days."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
chocmalt

PostPosted: Mon 6/2/08 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe the noses which are being hit! Line drives off two guys! Ouch! I never used to think of baseball as a dangerous sport! That is when you compare it to football and how hockey used to be without helmets!

All the bats breaking are bad enough! And to see the recent story about the woman (Dodger fan) who had a bat's leftovers fracture her jaw. Wow!

The baseball Gods must be angry...

I'm not quite to the point where I'm gonna suggest catchers masks for pitchers, and plexiglass shields around all the edges of the stadiums, but sheesh!

This I realize has nothing to do with the freaky or self-inflicted injuries upon players, but I needed to write about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: