Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday suffered a moth in the ear and had to be removed from last night's Dodgers-Cardinals game.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
With two outs in the eighth inning, Holliday had to be tended to by the team's athletic training staff. He walked off the field and into the clubhouse, where medical personnel attempted to remove the moth from his ear.

According to a team spokesman, the first tactic was to take Holliday into a dark room, in hopes the moth would seek light and fly out. However, the insect had gone in headfirst and was unable to turn around. Thus, tweezers had to be used to remove it.

The spokesman said that that the bug was still alive after it was removed, and that Holliday kept it.

LOL
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players miss games for minor ailments their predecessors would have played through so I guess a moth in the ear doesn't surprise me! Did he miss the whole game? Laughing Just kidding, I'm sure he went back in.

What a bizarre and funny thing to have happen Surprised
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he miss the whole game? Just kidding, I'm sure he went back in.

I posted above:

Quote:
With two outs in the eighth inning, Holliday had to be tended to by the team's athletic training staff.

I doubt at that late point in the game they even had time to get the moth out before the game ended; and besides, as I'm sure you know, a player cannot re-enter a game even if he wants to.

Surprised
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding out more and more I do not know about baseball Confused I didn't know players couldn't go back into a game if they were looked at for something minor.

I think I need the book Baseball For Dummies!!!! Embarassed
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL--well, I am just going by the rules of which you cannot send a player back in after he has been removed.

Admittedly, I did not see the game myself, although I would have liked to. At the early hour it was played in the PDT, I was still at work meeting a deadline and didn't get home until the game was over.

But--obviously, Holliday had to be removed and someone else had to play left field; they weren't going to stop play with two outs in the eighth and leave everyone standing on the field for the length of time that it took for Matt to "(walk) off the field and into the clubhouse, where medical personnel attempted to remove the moth from his ear...(then) take Holliday into a dark room, in hopes the moth would seek light and fly out...(and) tweezers had to be used..."

I mean, I can't see the pitcher walking around the mound, hemming and hawing while everyone else standing at their positions itches and scratches as Matt is still being checked out in the clubhouse...can you? I can imagine them and the crowd getting impatient as ten minutes go by; "oh good, he's back now, now we can get the last out of the inning..." Sorry, Holliday is not that valuable to the game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, Linda, if they had a 10 minute delay for while someone left the field, and went into the clubhouse for something that minor with 2 outs in the 8th, I imagine the crowd would be booing loudly. That would defy logic to me, what a waste of the pitcher's time. The players association would be right on it the next day.

I did see Matt does have a sense of humor about this, though. Read this article
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it doesn't make sense to hold up the game. Glad to know Matt has a sense of humor about the incident. It is pretty funny Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/10/11 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if the Giants didn't have enough problems, now reliever Jeremy Affeldt's season is over thanks to a laceration on his non-throwing hand.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Affeldt hurt his hand while slicing frozen burgers in his backyard, and the paring knife cut down to the bone in his lower right palm and caused nerve damage, leaving him without feeling in his right pinky in what Giants manager Bruce Bochy an "unfortunate accident." Although the injury was in his non-throwing hand, continuing to pitch could cause further long-term damage.

Affeldt told The Associated Press he had just come in from swimming with his kids when he began cutting the frozen burgers, coming within a millimeter of an artery, and two friends at his home, both emergency medical technicians, immediately applied pressure to the wound and took him to the hospital, where he underwent surgery Thursday night.

..."I should have used hot water," Affeldt said in a phone interview with the AP. "If I had used a butter knife, nothing would have happened. The burger was coming loose and to wiggle it loose I used the knife and it pushed through the burger and right through my hand. It was not a slice, it's an actual stab. ... If it had been a serrated knife, I could have done more damage.

Ouch! Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/8/12 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankeees RHP David Robertson sprained his foot falling down stairs in his home.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 3/9/12 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, from this post and the last it sounds like the players need to be more careful at home than at Spring training or out on the ballfield Surprised
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/15/12 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow this didn't get posted from the preseason:

Rays pitcher David Price suffered a stiff neck after tweaking it while "toweling off" on the bench in the second inning, leaving the March 8 Tampa Bay-Detroit game early.

And more recently, Washington infielder Mark DeRosa was re-injured while--get this--high-fiving Bryce during the Nationals-Phillies game on May 6. DeRosa aggravated the left oblique muscle strain he was already on the DL for.

From foxsports.com:

Quote:
"I don't know if that set back the rehab or not," Nationals manager Davey Johnson told The Washington Post. "But I said, 'Why didn't you use your [right] hand?' He said it was spur of the moment."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/29/12 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy was injured by a shifting suitcase in a hotel room before his team's series with the Dodgers began.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Lucroy said he was reaching under his hotel room bed Sunday night for a lost sock when his wife shifted a suitcase, which fell on her husband's hand.

Too bad for him...can you imagine the jokes he's probably making about it? Sheesh.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 5/29/12 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! What a strange way to get injured and to be out for 15 days due to a suitcase! I feel sorry for his poor wife also.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/7/12 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse than Kendrys, even...Mets reliever Ramon Ramirez was injured running in from the bullpen to celebrate Johan Santana's no-hitter over the Cardinals last Friday.

According to N.Y. manager Terry Collins:

"He was just so excited. He was running in, running hard and all of a sudden, his leg grabbed him. I've never seen that."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 7/3/12 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 6/8/12 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is not funny even when these guys get injuries with high 5s or dog piles or other celebrations. But this one struck me as funny even still (I know I am bad!) Exclamation I could not imagine the guy running to join the celebration but not getting there first. Pobrecito!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/3/12 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, again! Trying to be careful didn't work.

From nj.com:

Quote:
An oral surgeon needed two scans to find three pieces of Raul Ibanezís front tooth, fragments of which became lodged in his lip when he ducked to avoid a foul ball on Sunday afternoon while sitting in the Yankees dugout. Ibanez banged his lip into a metal bench.

Ibanez joined the team about an hour before first pitch last night because he had remained in New York, where doctors cleared him of a concussion. However, he didnít duck the cosmetic damage that left him with eight stitches on his swollen lip.

Moral of the story--let the foul ball hit you? Question

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 7/3/12 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always interesting to read the bizarre ways players get hurt when they aren't playing. Poor Ramirez

I also felt for Ibanez Sad It's minor compared to other strange instances of injuries but the thought of hitting a tooth on ungiving metal makes me cringe.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/2/12 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Peavy, are you listening???

Tigers pitcher Max Scherzer was injured twisting his ankle in the dogpile after Detroit clinched the AL Central, and will miss his next start...

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 3/21/13 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 10/5/12 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg - another of those ones!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 12/7/12 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was from padres.com and although I did post in the Padres 2013 thread that Andrew Cashner will not be ready for Opening day, it is how he injured his thumb that is causing eyebrows to raise.

Quote:
Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner will likely begin the regular season on the disabled list after he suffered a lacerated tendon in his right thumb this past week.

San Diego General Manager Josh Byrnes said on Wednesday that Cashner -- who is an avid outdoorsman -- was injured by a companion when the two were dressing meat, a cut that caused a puncture wound to his thumb. The two were apparently trimming carcass with the intent of preserving the meat.

Seems like that is 2 hunting related injuries in baseball just this week! Exclamation
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/28/13 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if free agent pitcher Carl Pavano didn't have enough problems, now he has ruptured his spleen, while shoveling snow at his Vermont home.

From a USA Today sportswriter Chris Chase, "According to the WebMD search I just conducted, a ruptured spleen occurs when the abdomen suffers a severe direct blow or blunt trauma. Car accidents, hits in contact sports, violence and falling into your bicycle's handlebars are all possible causes." LOL.

True, it's one you don't hear about as much as strained obliques and tendinitis.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Harpo

PostPosted: Mon 1/28/13 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forloveofthegame wrote:
Seems like that is 2 hunting related injuries in baseball just this week!

Just imagine how many there might have been if Dick Cheney worked in baseball!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 2/10/13 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more:

Twins pitcher Anthony Swarzak fractured two ribs on his left side last month in a "non-baseball activity." According to the linked article, "Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said Swarzak injured himself while in Minnesota for TwinsFest, fracturing his ribs while playfully wrestling with teammates."

A top Red Sox prospect, outfielder Bryce Brentz recently shot himself in a leg while cleaning a handgun.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/20/13 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angels reliever Sean Burnett's back issues are recurring.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
It happens basically every spring. Sean Burnett's lower back will lock up, put him on the shelf for a few days, then go away. Last year, it happened while putting his glove in his locker. This year, it happened while putting his 4-year-old son in a shopping cart.

...Burnett was buying groceries for his new Spring Training home over the weekend when the back flared up again...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/2/13 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlins infielder Casey Kotchman injured a finger while running into a pitching/pop-up machine early last week.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Kotchman sliced his left ring finger when he ran into the machine that was flinging infield popups. By clutching the machine to prevent it from falling, the veteran first baseman may have caused more damage.

On Monday, he received four stitches on his ring finger, as well as scraped his left middle finger. Both fingers were taped on Tuesday.

...Kotchman joked about the bizarre circumstances that led to the injury.

"It's probably not every day where you get your hand caught in a pitching machine, on a pop fly," he said.

..."I'm trying to be a gentleman to the machine, and not throw it down to the ground," Kotchman replied.

..."When I hit the pitching machine, I grabbed it," Kotchman said. "When I grabbed it, the wheel was kind of cutting my finger. I guess, instead of hitting it over, I held onto it, and kind of picked it up, and it just kept slicing.

"I didn't even realize it was bleeding at first. When I walked back to first base, I was, like, 'Ok, it is bleeding.' "

Ouch!!!

Was it bleeding Marlins teal? Question

Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/12/13 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrabble has suffered a mishap, and on the golf course, no less, sustaining an eye injury. It could have been much worse, from the sounds of it.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
The incident happened at the Admiral's Cove golf course, just after (Marc) Rzepczynski, Randy Choate, Seth Maness and Lance Lynn teed off on the first hole. As Rzepczynski attempted to hit his second shot out of the rough, a piece of debris is believed to have caromed up and hit him in his left eye.

Lynn said he saw Rzepczynski rub at his eye immediately before falling to his knees.

"At first, he was swiping like he had something that had gone in his eye," Lynn said. "Then I saw some blood above his eye. I don't think it was the ball that hit him. I think it was mulch or an acorn or something like that. I wasn't close enough to see what it was or what happened, but I'm pretty positive that it wasn't the ball."

Choate said he spoke with Rzepczynski later in the day and was told that there was no damage to the retina. Rzepczynski described his eye as "bruised" during that conversation and said that his vision was returning.

Best wishes to him.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/1/13 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a week-old story, but I haven't updated this thread in awhile, so here goes: IPK injured a finger while washing dishes. Now here come the June Cleaver jokes, no doubt. The Diamondbacks pitcher called the injury "embarrassing." Embarassed

Not that I wish injury on anyone, but if it had to happen at all, it would have been more appropriate with Chad Billingsley. Laughing

Full article from si.com is here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 6/2/13 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol good one Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 6/15/13 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just revisiting this one from a couple of weeks ago, IPK has certainly had a lot more to deal with this week than dishwashing injuries! Exclamation

Anyway, Rangers outfielder Jeff Baker sprained his thumb during a celebratory high-five.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
"Yeah, I'm not too happy about it," Baker said.

Baker said the injury occurred during pregame activities Thursday. He did not reveal the name of the teammate who injured his hand, but Baker said the player was "a little overexcited for some reason" and bent his thumb back to his wrist.

High-fiving what, a BP HR? Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 6/15/13 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geez! That is worse than the dogpile after winning something. At least that is something "real", Lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: