Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/5/14 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it has been longer than I thought when this thread was last posted in. I had to scroll back quite a bit! I forgot to post this the last time I was on - Red Sox pitcher Jake Peavy cut his finger on a fishing knife. He missed his first exhibition start because of it.

Article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/6/14 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another...I read this in the L. A. Times' Angels report.

Quote:
Freak Injury

Infielder Ian Stewart suffered a bruised but not broken nose Sunday night when he inadvertently butted heads with his 4 1/2 -year old daughter, Ellsi.

"She was in bed on her stomach watching TV, and I kind of lunged at her," Stewart said. "I don't know if I scared her, but she sat up and our heads came together at the same time, my nose to the back of her head. I heard a crunchy sound and got an immediate headache. I thought I broke my nose."

Stewart was scratched from Monday's lineup and sent for tests, which ruled out a broken nose or concussion. He was cleared to play Tuesday.

Well, thankfully it wasn't serious. Exclamation
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/13/14 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this one was custom-made for this thread--K-Rod stepped on cactus, barefoot, landing the Brewers reliever in trainers' room.

Something you won't find happening in the Grapefruit League!

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Why was Rodriguez walking around barefoot in cactus country? That question remained unanswered because he was busy in the trainer's room, according to a spokesperson.

...Word of the cactus caper spread through the visitor's dugout and clubhouse at Tempe Diablo Stadium throughout the day.

"A cactus?" asked right-hander Matt Garza, who needed a laugh after lasting only 1 2/3 innings and allowing 10 runs, six of them earned. "At least it's spring. That will heal pretty quick."

What's the weirdest injury longtime Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks could recall?

"Oh, Matt Wise. The salad tongs," Weeks said. "Hands down."

Wise was a Brewers reliever with a terrific changeup that was rendered ineffective after he cut the middle finger on his pitching hand in Kansas City in 2006. Wise thought he was doing something healthy when he decided to make a salad. Instead, he missed a few days of work.

"He just stabbed himself, basically," Weeks said.

The wiry Wise kept his sense of humor about the situation.

"At least it was something in my weight class," he said a few days later.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/31/14 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to see this, and even though it just induces a wince, it's still a concerning news item: Angels hitting coach Don Baylor was injured during the ceremonial first pitch before the Halos-Mariners game at Angel Stadium tonight.

I mean, I really feel bad for him. Best wishes to Don on his recovery.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/1/14 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just horrible! My best wishes to him. I felt so bad watching that. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/28/14 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewers SS Jean Segura was hit by Ryan Braun's bat following a practice swing--as Segura walked behind him in the dugout--before Saturday's Cubs-Brewers game.

As this article notes, the Brewers have had more than their share of strange injuries over the years, many of which have been reported in this thread.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/1/14 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy, I heard that Matt Cain was scratched when scheduled to pitch for the Jints against your Padres a couple of nights ago, but I didn't hear why.

Now I know...it was a sandwich-making injury.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Cain said he was cutting a sandwich when the knife fell and he grabbed at it before it hit the floor. He jokingly tried to blame the injury on left-hander Jeremy Affeldt, who sustained his own knife-cutting incident a few years ago.

...Cain had not missed a start in his career until last season.

Two now. Still, in over eight years, that's quite impressive.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 5/3/14 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, of course it was mentioned during the broadcast this was the reason. But I forgot about Jeremy Affeldt doing that, too.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 5/23/14 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't sure where to post this, since there are so many threads it applies to, but the big story around the minor leagues this week was Miguel Olivo biting Alex Guerrero's ear. Yes, that's an embarrassing incident for the Dodgers' organization, but they acted swiftly (which I'll post about elsewhere).

Meanwhile, Guerrero is undergoing surgery to repair the damage!

Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/23/14 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG when I first heard this a couple of days ago I was working an event in Phoenix, but was so busy until I got home last night I had not said anything about it yet. Meanwhile of course all the Tyson jokers are picking up on this!

Poor Guerrero - must have been painful - hopefully for him that is the worst thing that happens his whole career.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/27/14 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it's almost getting to the point where this type of injury isn't so strange or unusual anymore, but Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis was injured during the Josh Beckett no-hitter post-game celebration, spraining his ankle in the dogpile, and landing on the DL--this just a a couple of weeks after we got him back from the DL.

I know these guys get excited and their emotions spills over, but I really want to just throttle them for these stupid injuries sometimes!

Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 3/3/16 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/24/14 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this kind of injury--almost unheard of in years past--is getting less "strange" and more common, unfortunately, these days:

"A"s starting pitcher Drew Pomeranz fractured his right hand after punching a wooden chair last week, landing on the DL as a result.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/7/14 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear some thongs! Exclamation

Angels pitcher Mike Morin injured his foot while walking on the beach during the team's visit to Tampa-St. Petersburg last weekend.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/10/15 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a bit late in reporting this, but the first major injury coming out of camp reports this preseason was that of White Sox ace Chris Sale, who hurt his ankle while unloading items from his truck at his Arizona home.

But, hey, prior to that, Rays pitcher Ronald Belisario hurt himself at home in Venezuela, apparently fracturing his shoulder while "getting out of a swimming pool". It just wouldn't be Beli in the preseason without some sort of drama, now, would it?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/21/15 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewers second baseman Scooter Gennett injured his hand while in the shower, slicing open his knuckle while reaching for body wash.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/14/15 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this isn't as strange as the others in this thread, but it's not very common--Tigers pitcher David Price sustained a hamstring injury while tripping on a bat in last Saturday's Tigers-Royals contest at Comerica Park.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Price overcame a four-run fourth inning to pitch into the seventh before three straight one-out singles pulled the Royals in front. It also put a bat in Price's eventual path when Alex Gordon singled home Eric Hosmer. Home-plate umpire Alan Porter tossed Gordon's bat out of the home-plate area to avoid any potential contact with Hosmer. At nearly the same time, Price was running to back up home and ended up where the bat landed.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/8/15 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mets LHP/reliever Jerry Blevins slipped while stepping off a curb last Monday and re-fractured his left arm--the same bone that was fractured when Blevins was struck by a line drive during a game last April.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/26/15 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rays catcher Curt Casali injured his hamstring during a home run trot in Tampa Bay's loss to Minnesota on Tuesday, and has been placed on the DL as a result.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/13/15 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nationals pitcher Drew Storen broke his right thumb after becoming upset for giving up a run in Wednesday night's loss to the Mets.

According to MLB.com:

Quote:
...(Storen) then suffered the injury while slamming his locker shut out of frustration.

..."He's regretful that it happened and a little bit embarrassed about it, of course," (manager Matt) Williams said. "He's a competitor and he's frustrated and he made a mistake."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/24/16 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first injury of the preseason appears to have come at the expense of Dodgers minor league infielder Micah Johnson, who required stitches after slicing his left hand while removing an avocado pit.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/24/16 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him that it was not serious and will be a short recovery. But I did smile and think to myself, what would Duke say. Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/3/16 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigers outfielder Cameron Maybin injured his shoulder while slipping on ice just before reporting to camp in the Grapefruit League.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Maybin said he slipped on his porch while holding his son on an icy morning at home in North Carolina, just before he left for camp. Maybin didn't drop his son, but he strained his shoulder while bracing himself against the ground.

"All I was worried about was protecting him," Maybin said of his son. "He was coming from tonsil surgery, so I wasn't worried about myself at all at the time."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/26/16 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewers pitcher Will Smith has injured his right knee while taking off his shoe.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/18/16 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the more notorious strange injuries affected this year's ALCS, with Trevor's famous "drone" incident. I'm sure this is one that would not have even been imagined in previous years, LOL.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 10/19/16 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh, we couldn't believe it when we heard this one. Come on Trev!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/18/17 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...the first bizarre injury of 2017 comes at the expense of Royals pitcher Brian Flynn, who fell through the roof of his Oklahoma barn and sustained a broken rib.

Honestly, not to make light of that, but--like he couldn't do it earlier in the offseason? Wink Wink

Best wishes to him on his recovery.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 2/18/17 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is another good one for this very long thread! Smile Hope it does not set him back too much.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/21/17 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhhhhhhhh! When the Bums are in in S.F. next week, it looks like they'll miss MadBum!

Bruised ribs in an off-day dirt bike accident have landed him on the DL for the first time in his career.

There's something about those Jints players and dirt bikes.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/24/17 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is! Rolling Eyes Gosh he should have thought about how his racing would affect his team.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/27/18 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, has it really been one year since this thread was last posted in? Seems like I may have missed something over that time.

Anyway, Cardinals CF Tommy Pham endured some kind of a freak injury that couldn't keep him down during the Mets-Cards series in St. Louis this week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: