Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous Tirades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/29/08 1:03 am    Post subject: Famous Tirades Reply with quote

Well, I made mention a short while ago that this was coming up (per Marty Brennaman's recent comments), and today is the 25th anniversary of the rant by Cubs manager Lee Elia about the team's fans. From what I hear he was making the most of commemorating it--he even had a Tommy Lasorda-like talk show circuit going on.

The Cubs had just lost to the Dodgers on April 29, 1983, and saw their record drop to 5-14 when Elia erupted about the Wrigley denizens. Maybe he knew Tommy Lasorda was in the other clubhouse and channeled him...I don't know. (This one is actually more coarse than any of Tommy's I have heard!) Ironically, as that game is recapped in this article from chicagocubs.com, Dusty Baker was in the middle of the rally that led to the Cubs loss.

Anyway, the Chicago Sun-Times called for a Forgive Lee Elia Night...pretty funny.

Two weeks away (May 14) is also the 30th anniversary of TLS' infamous rant about (Dave) "Kingman's performance", another classic in its own right. For years it was known as the "Mothers' Day outburst" because it occurred on that Sunday afternoon in 1978, just after the Dodgers had lost a high-scoring game to the Mets, with Kingman being responsible for most of the Mets' offensive output. RaysLady, you might know it was Paul Olden who was the novice reporter who dared approach Lasorda.

Rants come and rants go, but some stand the test of time. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 4/9/14 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 4/30/08 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to the baby bears. I still can't forget Alou's fit about Bartman.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/17/08 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm bumping this up because this week was the 30th anniversary of "Kingman's performance" (and no, this doesn't go in the Milestones thread, LOL) and a certain manager's reaction to it.

On this subject, I just want to see how many of you recognize a certain person quoted in today's L.A. Times' "Morning Briefing" column, whom you all know.

(Hint: Key words, "lip service.") Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Sun 5/18/08 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations Linda on making it in the Morning Briefings! I hope you make it on a regular basis so all can start to recoginize you. I had said that this season I was going to write to the "Letter's to the Editors" but I have not even sent one letter.
stlred

PostPosted: Sun 5/18/08 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Linda. I knew you would make it to print.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/18/08 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post, "You guys sure are a tough crowd."

When your 15 minutes of fame stretch to 24 hours and still nobody else comments, it makes one wonder if anyone else even noticed (or opened the thread!).

Incidentally, the entire submission was not used, which also included some comments I made in the "Special Promotions" thread a few months ago.

The "lip service" connection to Mothers' Day was too good to pass up, though.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 5/26/08 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you know this but your quote also made it to the myrtlebeachonline sports page. I found it on yahoo. Now you are nation wide.
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 5/26/08 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link Linda

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/story/454744.html
Sandi

PostPosted: Tue 5/27/08 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
I was going to post, "You guys sure are a tough crowd."

When your 15 minutes of fame stretch to 24 hours and still nobody else comments, it makes one wonder if anyone else even noticed (or opened the thread!).

Wow... you should point things like these out to us with a flashy, new thread. I wasn't feeling a lot of interest in the "Famous Tirades" subject so I skipped over it. Congrats on getting published!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/27/08 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Flashy new thread", ha...no, I'd been waiting for the day to come so I could bump this one up again, knowing exactly when Tommy's blow-up occurred. Thanks for pointing this out, Jan; I'm not sure why mbonline picks up the Morning Briefing but now I can say it's "from coast to coast." Smile

The funny thing is the original item didn't even include the full text of what I'd written. I had submitted this:

It was mentioned last week in Morning Briefing about the 25th anniversary of Lee Elia's tirade about Cubs fans, after his team endured a painful loss to the Dodgers on 4/29/83, which reminded me of another upcoming anniversary (also mentioned in that same column).

Quote:
The Dodgers aren't playing at home on May 14, but after scanning their promotional schedule for this month, I wondered why they couldn't have capitalized on the 30th anniversary of Tommy Lasorda's "Kingman's performance" tirade, with a freebie at the gate on a date during the next closest homestand. How about a CD giveaway (unedited) of the Lasorda rant for all fans over 18 in attendance?

In fact, Sunday's game, in which the Dodgers lost to the Astros, might have been appropriate. Lasorda probably would have had a similar reaction to the come-from-ahead loss, and it was Mothers' Day, to boot ("Kingman's performance" was also on Mothers' Day--5/14/7Cool.

Instead, the Dodgers handed out lip gloss to everyone in attendance. I'll bet what came from Tommy's lips 30 years ago was ultimately more memorable.

And in case you haven't had your fill of Tommy, I'm going to post more about him in a few minutes here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/10/09 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty-five years ago, April 8, a milestone occurred which will not likely be forgotten. I shared my memories of that with everyone already.

What happened in baseball 35 years ago on April 9, however, is slightly more obscure.

It's part of early Padres lore, though. This story has a lot to do with a "fan's owner" who stepped in to buy the local team, rather than see it move to Washington, D.C. That's what the future looked like for the Padres in late 1973. They'd only been an NL team for five years, finishing in last place each of those first few seasons.

Ray Kroc, hamburger king, purchased them that offseason, kept the struggling franchise in San Diego, and then gave them a verbal butt-kicking. It was Opening Night at San Diego Stadium--April 9, 1974--and the team was losing to Houston.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, in a recap of Padres history:

Quote:
Ray Kroc not only saved the Padres for San Diego, he established a tone.

No longer would the Padres be patsies . . . well, not as long as Kroc had anything to say about it.

That became clear at the end of the Padres' first home opener under Kroc, who had bought the almost moribund franchise on Jan. 25, 1974.

The night was April 9, 1974. Not only was it Kroc's first game, it was the then-KGB Chicken's first Padres game. At the end of a disappointing loss to Houston, Kroc went to the public address microphone planning to thank the 39,083 on hand.

What happened during the next several minutes transformed the genius behind McDonald's hamburgers into a San Diego folk hero. Instead of thanking the fans, Kroc acknowledged that he shared their frustration.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I suffer with you," he shouted across the PA system. "I've never seen such stupid ballplaying in my life!"

At first stunned, the fans broke into a combination of cheers and laughter. As that scene was still playing out, a streaker lit out across the outfield. Kroc went off a second time.

Major League Baseball censured Kroc. But not the Padres fans. Kroc was their man.

As for the players, Kroc's honest reaction, coming from someone whose business background was Big Macs, was not well-received...even by the winning team. This story has a great footnote as to what happened the following night. Again from the U-T:

Quote:
Kroc's Opening Night tirade drew a reaction from Astros third baseman Doug Rader. "He can't talk to us that way," Rader said. "Who does he think we are . . . a bunch of short-order cooks?"

The comments led to the first of the great Padres promotions. "Short-Order Cook Night" greeted Houston for its next visit. Anyone arriving at the gates wearing a short-order cook's hat was allowed in free. Rader was given the honors of delivering the Astros lineup to the umpires at home plate on a platter. And he was wearing a cook's hat. Rader changed hats again the next year. The Padres acquired him in a trade.

No promotional giveaways at Petco Park yesterday commemorating this moment...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/15/13 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd give this one a bump up, as yesterday was the 35th anniversary of "Kingman's performance." Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 5/17/13 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread pre-dates me on this board! I wish I would have known what got you some press!

Thank you for the laughs. I was almost choking thinking back on Ray Kroc! I remember that so well! Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/18/13 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the link is no longer valid after all these years, I may have to dig it up and see if I still have it saved somewhere on my computer.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/9/14 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bump for you, Cathy--on the 40th anniversary of Ray Kroc's tirade. Laughing

I found this article about it in the L.A. Times (from 1990, 17 years after the incident actually took place).

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/11/14 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not our best moment, lol Embarassed Embarassed

But it is right up there with Chub Feeney flipping off the fans. Rolling Eyes 40 years! Wow.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/22/15 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what do you know! We have a new tirade to add to baseball lore--that of Reds manager Bryan Price.

And here's another view of the same incident.

But, Price apologized.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/14/17 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is the 39th anniversary of the famous "Kingman's performance" rant by Tommy Lasorda. That's significant because May 14, 1978 was also a Sunday, and Mothers Day. For the rest of the season, this was referenced by Dodger broadcasters as Tommy's "Mothers Day meltdown following the extra innings loss to the Cubs."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/15/17 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten all about this thread. 39 years now, well they should commemorate a milestone next year when it hits 40. Lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/14/18 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, that day has arrived, the anniversary of that "eruption of Mt. Lasorda", as Harpo refers to it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 5/14/18 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that one's a classic! God love Tommy even for all his faults.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 7/2/20 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was I have to post this for my Dodger friends - Tuesday was the anniversary of Bevacqua vs. Lasorda round 1, from 1982, Lol Wink

Link from Union Tribune
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/3/20 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Harpo always loved doing that routine. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/14/23 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not only Mothers Day but the 45th anniversary of "Kingman's performance." Thankfully, the Dodgers got better results today than they did on that Mothers Day. Although I'm sure at least one here will disagree with that. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 5/14/23 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Lol well that was something to laugh about. My Padres are doing their best to keep a smile off my face. But this is always a good one. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: