Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timeless Excellence
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/13/09 6:34 am    Post subject: Timeless Excellence Reply with quote

Last month I was remiss in not reporting that legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully was inducted into the Sports Broadcasting Hall of Fame.

And the honors keep rolling in.

Yesterday Vin was named top sportscaster of all time by the American Sportscasters Association.

Words can never express my appreciation to him for his many accomplishments over the years. He has been part of my extended family for as long as I can remember. But beyond that, he is a legend of sports, primarily the one I love so much.

Congratulations, Vinnie! You have done so much for us Dodger fans, but beyond that, so much for baseball, and sports in general. Fortunately, this story is still being written.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Thu 1/15/09 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 1/13/09 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Vin.

Quote:
Words can never express my appreciation to him for his many accomplishments over the years. He has been part of my extended family for as long as I can remember. But beyond that, he is a legend of sports, primarily the one I love so much.

I know how you feel. I miss Jack all the time. It will never be the same for me. Crying or Very sad
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 1/14/09 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An overdue honor. Vin is probably humble enough to say Red Barber was the all-time best. I compare the announcers from other teams all the time and in all fairness he definitely is the best I have heard in my lifetime. Not biased because some of our own announcers have been very medicore and I will readily admit that.

I sometimes feel we take him for granted but soon enough (too soon) he won't be around anymore. Stlred just remember you can still hear Vin too, as he doesn't belong only to us. I think it was Frank McCourt, that once said he is a "national treasure."
Nurse Cozmo

PostPosted: Wed 1/14/09 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one today would EVER be able to pull off what Vin Scully has been doing all these years... broadcasting the entire game on his own. Without their "color man" play-by-play broadcasters would be so lost... they would actually have to use their minds and their intellect (presuming they had any) to keep the audience engaged.

I always liked Richard Jeni's routine on TV football broadcasters... when they state the completely obvious (which they always do!), Jeni said, "Why is he talking at all... you're watching the game... all he needs to say is 'See that? So did I! Back to you...' "
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 11/29/09 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, Vin!

Never did a brighter star shine!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 11/30/09 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he had a really nice day. It was as he would say "a very pleasant good afternoon." Happy birthday Vin. Always missing him in the offseason.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 11/30/09 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man has so much class even people I know who hate the Dodgers, love him. He is just that good. I know how you fans must feel about him because I really cannot imagine not only how long he's been doing his job, but how good he's been doing it for that long. As far as I am concerned, he has more than earned every honor. As a Padre fan I love and admire Jerry Coleman, but he is nowhere in the same league as Scully. Scully is a treasure for all baseball fans.
riverdunesrat

PostPosted: Wed 12/2/09 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that man.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 12/9/09 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin and the Dodgers made it official last week--he will be back to call his 61st season with the team in 2010.

Simply amazing. I'm pretty sure this is a record that won't be broken.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 12/11/09 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woohoo, that is always good news even if it was already expected. I like what he says there about taking it year to year, and about once you see the team gel for a couple of years in a row you start to think they might go all the way. I think he is excited for them next year & I feel sure he wants to be behind the mic for one more championship.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/3/10 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing with last week's news...

We Dodger fans have needed to cling tightly to anything good that we can, lately. So no matter how bad 2010 gets as our team sluggishly enters September, nothing can get in the way of this:

Vin Scully will return for his 62nd season of calling Dodger baseball in 2011. Speaking as one of many fans who needed a lift like this news provided in this very trying season, I can only say this is a real cause for celebration.

I've given some thought about how blessed we as Dodger fans are, despite the drama accompanying this summer. As if 60+ years with the greatest baseball broadcaster in history isn't enough, we actually have two Hall of Fame announcers still calling games for us--Jaime Jarrin is the other--and they've combined for 112 seasons of excellence. What is really special is that, among all Major League Baseball teams, these two gentlemen have been associated with only the Dodgers' organization. Broadcasters have tended to hop around from team to team over the years, but these men are strictly Dodger Blue--two classy people who represent the organization so well. Even in a dismal season, they make the intolerable tolerable. Vin brings a smile to my face on a regular basis with his smooth and inimitable blend of knowledge, wit, and his masterful vocabulary, occasional weaving in cultural references. Even his self-professed ignorance of some trends is charming in its own way--just a couple of weeks ago, Vin noted on the air he didn't even know what a mullet was, much to the amusement of many viewers on Fox Sports Prime Ticket. Of all the sights, sounds, and other things associated with baseball season, none is sweeter than the sound of his voice. He is a link to Brooklyn history, a link to baseball's arrival on the West Coast. Vin was baseball long before I was a twinkle in my daddy's blue eyes. I mean, think about it--Vin was calling Dodger baseball when Harry Truman was president!

Still, I'm happy to share Vinnie with the rest of MLB's fans, as he is a treasure to the game itself. A devoted husband, Vin has always credited his wife with allowing him to continue his work even though he's cut back on the number of games he calls over the years. So, in addition to being elated about this late season surprise announcement, I would also like to express my gratitude to Sandy Scully, for sharing him with all of us.

I've always said there were two men who taught me about baseball--one was my late father, and the other was Vincent Edward Scully. Dad has been gone for seven years. And I have never been more grateful to still have Vin. Words, something that Vin is so good with, can never be enough to express my appreciation to him for his many accomplishments over the years. He has been part of my extended family for as long as I can remember.

So it was that baseball fans, but especially those in Dodgertown U.S.A., held their collective breath last weekend when it was announced that an announcement would be made the next day as to our beloved announcer's uture with the team. Vin will be 83 by the time next season gets underway. To our knowledge, his health is still good. Surely he couldn't think of going out on a season like this, could he? Even when asked about his decision after the fact, he beamed about his deep love for the game. It's to our benefit.

Whatever the 2010 Dodgers do in the next month, nothing can mar this wonderful news. The very definition of timeless excellence, Vin just keeps on bringing new generations into the fold, like he did with so many before them, with his golden voice. It's one I can't imagine life without, although someday that certainly will come to pass. But I don't want to ever think about it having to happen. I'll certainly cherish every moment, come what may.

Maybe it won't ever come to fruition, and Vinnie will outlast us all.

Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 9/3/10 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for Vin returning! That is a great gift to us, the fans. You said my feelings exactly!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/11 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we are waiting for our annual announcement again, Sunny...

Did anyone read T.J. Simers' column yesterday? I was every bit in agreement with him about the needlessness of this ridiculous idea.

Quote:
"This is like polling Catholics about Mother Teresa's work," he said.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/11 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post gave more detail than the article I read as to what the announcers were being rated on. I myself think Scully would rate pretty high when it comes to baseball knowledge but I definitely agreed with your quote. Asking a Dodger fan to rate Vin Scully is ridiculous! Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/11 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!! HE'S BACK!

Vin's ears must have been burning!

It happened during last night's Dodgers-Rockies game, at the precise point in the sixth inning during which he typically reports back from a commercial break to recap "This Day in Dodgers History." I was waiting to hear him mention the first televised game, and give a few details, like he usually does.

Instead, he led off with a story about a fan who sends him cookies every year around this time in an attempt to "bribe" him to return to the booth the next season. Surprised to not hear anything about the anniversary of 8/26/39, I fixated on the screen while waiting anxiously for his next words.

They were:

Quote:
"I don't want to make a big deal out of it--you and I have been friends for a long time. But, after a lot of soul searching and a few prayers, we've decided that we will come back with the Dodgers for next year.

God's been awfully good to me, allowing me to do the things I love to do. I asked him for one more year, at least, and he said 'okay."

MLB.com article can be read in full here.

I'm surprised my neighbors didn't call the police with all the whooping and hollering that could be heard coming from my house immediately after the announcement! And yes, I had tears in my eyes thinking of how much we fans have bonded with him over the years, for generations, decades of good times and trying times, on the field and off the field, and through it all--the one constant. Like everyone else, I hold my breath waiting for this announcement every year, and he always comes through. Even in the worst of times!

Vin has always said, "If you want to make God smile, tell him your plans." He says he still gets goosebumps at the roar of the crowd, still feels thrills at watching a great play.

Let's think about this again:

"God's been awfully good to me..."

That may be so, but he didn't finish the sentence. We, too, are the ones who are blessed. Very much so, for his presence, and talents, and as an extended family member to millions.

I thought about how God's been so good to me, as well; but even with a clean bill of health, it seems like it hardly compares to this. (LOL)

Now, "let's go back to this one."

Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/11 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your post on FB and I can't tell you how thrilled I was to hear the news. Can't wait to tell my brothers!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can completely understand your emotion about this great news. To me he is a link to all the Dodger greats. In the Barney Stein book there is a great picture of him talking to the Brooklyn Dodgers in the dugout at Ebbets Field. I know he really wants Gil in the Hall.

His announcement of Hank Aaron's homerun is priceless. He learned from Red Barber to let the live stadium action do the talking to let radio listeners feel they were there at the ballpark.

He is a legend and priceless!! I have got to get out to LA next season!!!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we are doubly blessed!

In a weekend that has brought us a championship title, won by O.C. kids for the United States, two wins (so far) by the Dodgers, and the news that Vin is coming back....well, now, Vin got to announce that Jaime is returning to the Dodgers!

He has been full of a lot of good news lately!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations -- I heard that awhile ago. You all are so lucky!
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/28/11 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the California Little League World Series win over Japan Smile

There has been a lot of good news lately Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/30/11 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there has been, Gil Hodges Fan! I am elated about the news about them!

I agree with you, DB, his ears must have been burning because we were just talking about it when he announced it last week.

I bet at this time next year the whole stadium sends him cookies! Smile lol
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/30/11 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be so cute! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/29/11 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 84th birthday to the Man in the Booth--the best ever!

Wishing Vinnie a birthday that is marvelous and spectacular in every way!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 11/29/11 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing to think of his journey with the Dodgers and it's not over yet Very Happy I wish him all the best. There is no one like Vin Scully. No one will ever come close to "the voice" and his way of letting the audience tell the story for the radio listeners at home. He is THE best!!!!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/29/11 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proudly wearing my W4V tee today in honor of him!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 11/29/11 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet you are. Happy birthday to Mr. Scully.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 12/1/11 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed him a card. I'm so proud he is ours, and always has been. Also that I have something in common with him besides just being a fan. Smile

Quote:
...his way of letting the audience tell the story for the radio listeners at home.

Well, those days are long gone for the most part. I did enjoy it when he did call games on the radio, though!

That picture is great! His love for baseball really shines through!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/29/12 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I proudly wore my W4V Tshirt...in honor of the milestone 85th birthday of our own Vinnie!

Happy birthday, Mr. Scully--Master of the House!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 11/30/12 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday to him, between our teams we have a couple of classy announcers.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 11/30/12 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy, the best news is the Dodgers have taken a classic moment of the 2012 season and embraced it during the offseason: Vin will take over the team's Twitter account this coming Monday!

Too cool! Cool

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/4/12 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's how it went.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: