Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timeless Excellence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/9/15 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the awards keep coming...

This thread will never die!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/28/15 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, Vin!

(Yes, I know I'm a day early, but I wanted to post this article, so I'll go ahead and jump the gun.)

Our beloved voice of the Dodgers for the last 66 years was born on November 29, 1927 and turns 88 on Sunday.

Yet, as much as he has blessed us over the years, it really does appear as if the end is finally near. Sad Sad

From the L.A. Times:

"Dodgers' Vin Scully Can't Imagine He Would Return After Next Season"

Steve Dilbeck

It is not what anyone wants to believe. When Vin Scully first said in August that next season would realistically be his last broadcasting the Dodgers, willful thinking became rampart.

“Probably” and “likely” were comfortable buffers that offered hope. He could change his mind. But the more Scully has thought and talked about retiring, the more definitive his decision has become.

“Each year, I knew I was getting closer and closer,” Scully said. “Finally, this past fall and winter — I think it’s time. I don’t want somebody else to tell me it’s time. I would rather do it myself.”

Scully turns 88 on Sunday and has reached the point where he cannot envision a scenario where he returns beyond the 2016 season.

“I really can’t see that I would come back,” Scully said. “Sooner or later, you have to be realistic. I’ve done it for a long, long time. I’ve done reasonably well at it. But I don’t want to stay on any longer than I feel I should.

“Which makes it a very tough decision, but I really do feel it would be time for me to walk away rather than have somebody say, ‘Gee, you know, you’re not the same. You’re not quite this, you’re not quite that.’ I don’t want that. So I think if I can get through next year doing reasonably well, it would be time then to walk away.”

Scully is the longest tenured broadcaster with one team in sports history. Next season will mark his 67th consecutive year with the Dodgers. In recent seasons, he has done three innings of simulcast on the radio and TV, and then the final six exclusively on television.

The Dodgers’ new channel, SportsNet LA, still cannot be seen by over 60% of the Los Angeles market. But Scully said regardless of the Dodgers’ station reaching an agreement with the rest of the cable and satellite providers next season, his retirement plans will not change.

Scully said he could recall broadcasting NFL games on CBS, and in the production meeting the day before the game, the producer would indicate the game would cover X-percent of the country.

“I used to say to the producer, ‘Please, don’t tell me. As far as I’m concerned, every game is 100 [percent] of the country. I don’t want to know if there’s a small audience this week and a big audience next week. I want to go into that figuring everybody in the world is going to be listening.’

“And that’s really how I felt with baseball. Doing the Dodgers games, if we had a full coverage, that’s great. But even if we had the tiniest coverage, it would not influence me. I would still try to do the game as if everybody saw it. And I kept that up and will continue to do it, whether they change or otherwise next year.”

Scully, the most beloved man in Los Angeles history, said he’s simply come to the point where he knows it’s time. He said his wife, Sandi, prepared Thanksgiving dinner at home for their large family for over 40 years until turning it over to three daughters this November.

“Whether it’s Thanksgiving dinner or broadcasting a ballgame, eventually the torch has to be passed,” he said.

“It’s been great, but it’s time. Also you keep thinking to yourself, this is not a dress rehearsal. This is life. You’ve had this tremendous time doing what you love, but time is running out. And I don’t mean to be morbid in any way, but it’s time to just smell the roses and get off the merry-go-round. … It takes a lot of thinking and big-decision making to let go of something you’ve loved all these years. In my mind and heart, this is the time to do it.”

Scully has gradually cut back his job demands in recent seasons, last year broadcasting only home games. But if that’s given him a glimpse of his future, it still unnerves him to think of full-bore retirement.

“If I stop to think about it — I’ll be very honest — I’m somewhat scared to death,” Scully said. “When you’ve run the same motor for all these years and suddenly turn it off, I know there will be a deafening silence. But I’ll just have to be fortunate having had a wonderful marriage. I’ll spend more time with Sandi, and God willing, with family and smell the roses.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He's not kidding...there will be a "deafening silence" in more ways than one.

And while I wholeheartedly support Vinnie's right to make this decision, I can't help but be sad for baseball fans who now know his tenure in the Vin Scully Press Box will not be through infinity.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 11/29/15 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday to Vin. I know it will be different at this time next year for sure.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/1/15 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I'm pretty sure I'll be in denial all season long next year. Confused

Here is some historical perspective from MLB.com, posted on Vinnie's birthday.

From the above-linked:

Quote:
On Sunday, as Scully turns 88, it's time we look back at baseball and just realize just how the voice of the Dodgers has shaped our viewing of the sport. How much darker would the world be without "It's time for Dodgers baseball" greeting fans every time they turned on the game hundreds of times a year; and how sad we would all be without Scully to remind us of facts like Uggla means owl in Swedish nobility? It's like "It's a Wonderful Life" played out across hundreds of millions of baseballs fans.

Oh, it'd be very dark indeed, and I dread this time next year. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 12/5/15 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I do, too. Sad I don't know what we are going to do!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/29/16 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in case you missed it, the L.A. City Council voted today to rename Elysian Park Avenue "Vin Scully Avenue." What a well-deserved honor! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 2/10/16 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always one of my favorite threads on this site. This is just a beautiful way to honor our beloved Vinnie.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 3/14/16 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to honor Vinnie this season? They're coming up with ways.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/26/16 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Bill Plaschke, how did you put into words so well what the rest of us are feeling?

From the L.A. Times:

"With Vin Scully About to Say Goodbye Later This Year, All We Can Say is, 'Say it Ain't So' "

Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully held a 30-minute question-and-answer - or storytelling - session before calling his final spring training game at Camelback Ranch.

Bill Plaschke

The Vin Scully farewell season began Friday with, appropriately, a history lesson.

During the middle of a news conference before Scully's first and only spring training appearance at Camelback Ranch, the ring of a rotary phone filled the air.

It was coming from somewhere in the front of the small conference room. It sounded like a kitchen wall in the 1950s. Brrinng. Brrinng. Brrinng.

"That's my phone," Scully said, finally, looking down at his pants pocket, actually blushing. "We won't answer that. Go away, please."

Stay, please?

Can we just call this whole thing off before it starts?

The beginning of Scully's 67th and final Dodgers summer was just another example of why we want him to talk to us forever.

During a 30-minute session in which he kept apologizing for saying nothing, he said everything, his words revealing the depths of the sweetness and humility that will turn the next six months into the toughest of goodbyes. He spoke Japanese to one reporter, spun baseball tales from a half-century ago for another, and quietly charmed the small room with the message that he plans to end the greatest career in sports broadcasting as just another guy talking ball.

"The thing that bothers me, really and truly, is making it sound like, because it's my last year, I'm almost more important than the game. That scares me to death,'' he said. "I just want to do the game. I just want to have fun and they eventually say, 'OK, Scully, that's enough, see ya.'"

Not only does he not want it to be a celebrated farewell, but also, please, don't compare it to Kobe Bryant's extravaganza by calling it a farewell tour.

"I appreciate Kobe, he's brilliant, it's great he makes those trips . . . but it's not really me," Scully said. "I'm not going to take me and bring me on a tour like I'm some Stradivarius or whatever. I'm just an announcer, I belong in the press box, and only really at Dodger Stadium."

Scully, 88, said he has tentatively planned to make just three trips away from Chavez Ravine during the regular season. He will call the season opener April 4 in San Diego, the May 18 and May 19 games in Anaheim, and probably the season's final series in San Francisco from September 30 to October 2. He said he would also consider the playoffs if the Dodgers are involved, an event he missed last season for medical reasons.

He guaranteed he absolutely would not be heard, not even for a minute, on the All-Star game or any postseason game not involving the Dodgers, despite pleas for national curtain calls from baseball, networks and fans.

"No, no, no, I don't belong there, I belong in Dodger Stadium in the booth, that's where I belong, that's where I lived, that's where I'll stay until it's over," he said.

For now, he also will not be heard by 60% of Los Angeles homes whose pay-TV operators do not carry the Dodgers' TV channel SportsNet LA, and Scully said he feels their pain.

"I'm a baseball fan at heart, I really am," he said. "My first thought is, I really want the fans to see all the games, that's the main thing, I don't know anything else about it."

While Scully has pointedly stayed out of the mess — he will forever remain the perfect Dodgers employee, and there's something very noble in that — he did say he thought that Time Warner Cable's latest 30%, one-year discount offer was fair.

"I love this game and I don't want to get somehow in front of it just because it's my last year."
— Vin Scully, on never becoming bigger than the game of baseball or the Dodgers

"In your paper they listed the various prices in various cities," he said, referring to the Los Angeles Times. "When I compared what I understand they're asking, I thought, well, that looks like a reasonable offer, but that's all I know, in all honesty."

That the Dodgers used Scully's name in an attempt to sell that misguided offer this week seems particularly wrong in the wake of the feelings he expressed Friday. He doesn't want the attention in either controversy or celebration. He frowned when asked if he's ready for the adulation that will surround him with every home game, every night thousands of people turning, facing the press box and cheering goodbye.

"I love this game and I don't want to get somehow in front of it just because it's my last year," he said.

As perhaps a sign of things to come, just before the Dodgers played the San Francisco Giants here Friday night, Scully was introduced in the broadcast booth to a roaring standing ovation . . . but only after Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner were introduced.

More than anything, Scully said he will miss hearing those people cheer for the game.

"When I was about 8 . . . I used to crowd under the radio with a pillow, a glass of milk and some saltine crackers," he said. "The speaker would be directly over my head, someone would score and the crowd would go crazy, and that crowd noise would come down and wash over me like water out of a shower head."

He said still he relives those moments every night.

"To this day, if there is a very good play in the ballpark and the crowd lets out a roar, I shut up . . . and during the time I shut up, I'm 8 years old underneath the radio," he said.

When it's been Scully's voice coming through that box, aren't we all?

He said his proudest Dodgers achievement occurred during the 1988 World Series game won by Kirk Gibson's homer, but it didn't involve his famous call, "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."

Scully recounted the wonderful story of how the injured Gibson was listening to him on television while icing his legs in the training room. Gibson heard Scully pronounce him out of the game, and took it as a personal challenge.

"My greatest contribution in all my years with the Dodgers was getting Gibby off the training table at the end of the game," Scully said. "Whatever happened, it struck a note, and Gibby got up and hollered, 'Tell Tommy [Lasorda] I'll be there.' Next thing you know, he comes down and . . . magic."

Every night with Scully contains some kind of magic. Even in a sports world where transition has become common, even in a town where Bryant is actually retiring, the idea this magic will somehow end in six months is unfathomable.

"I'm not sure how I'll feel when I get down to the end," Scully admitted. "Being somewhat of a sentimental Irishman, [there] might be a fight that I have with myself."

It is a fight the rest of us are already losing.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 3/26/16 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw that made me Crying or Very sad

He doesn't have any idea about the impact this will have on everyone. People are not going to be saying "enough" as he thinks, lol.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/3/16 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end of an era begins tomorrow...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/9/16 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin Scully Avenue will be dedicated on Monday. Oh, I wish I could be there! It will be wonderful to see on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, from Chris Erskine of the L.A. Times (I only wish any other word than "g _ _ _ t" would have been used to describe him!):

"Voice of Dodgers' Vin Scully is Sweet Music to the Ears"

Tonally, he's a tenor. Spiritually, he's Frank Sinatra.

Across seven decades, Vin Scully has bewitched baseball fans with That Voice - full of swing, moxie, and sonic opulence. He uses it like a horn, to serenade an antebellum sport that is too slow by half and make musical the specter of grown men mostly standing around for three hours.

In short, the kid can really sing.

"I hear boogie-woogie," says Chris Sampson, vice dean for contemporary music at USC's Thornton School.

Indeed, two USC music professors, asked by The Times to analyze the musicality of Scully's famous purr, found that the Dodgers broadcaster brings to mind the same cadences and rhythmic hooks heard in great songs. After studying audio clips of Scully's calls, the professors found that his play by play involves rhythm, dynamics, build — all the traits of irresistible music.

"It's swinging," Sampson says of Scully's voice. "In every instance that I've heard, he's always had swing to it."

The crooner's lyricism can probably be traced to the big-band era of his youth. Scully says he has always had a love for the greats he grew up with: Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and, of course, Sinatra.

Voices are comprised of brilliance and depth, a dark quality and a light, and he's got great balance of that.

"I also love Broadway musicals to this day," he says.

At Fordham, the school's center fielder was also a member of the Shaving Mugs, a barbershop quartet. But Scully scoffs at the idea that he has much in the way of musical gifts.

"Good grief, I must be the only [person] who is off key while speaking," he says with typical self-deprecation.

The music professors disagree.

"It's just amazing how he stays in cadence," says Sampson, who studied several of Scully's calls for rhythm, key signatures, tonality.

"He's not only giving color analysis, he's giving a concert," says Jeffrey Allen, an assistant professor of voice.

Chris Sampson found alliteration and cadence in a Vin Scully call of Jackie Robinson stealing home, then super-imposed it over music.

In a music building at USC, Sampson snaps his fingers as he locks on to the rhythms of several of Scully's famous calls. Of a clip of Jackie Robinson stealing home in the 1955 World Series, he zeroes in on Scully's phrase, "He dances down on third."

Sampson says it's the sort of alliteration you'd find in a pop song. In fact, he finds the musical progression reminiscent of "Ain't Misbehavin'," a 1929 swing hit.

"He basically kept the same pulse, the same tempo, all through the piece," Sampson says.

Once he found the pulse to the snippet, Sampson was able to super-impose Scully's call over a boogie-woogie piano beat. The enhanced audio clip made Scully's call of Robinson stealing home sound like the lyrics to a song.

Allen explains Scully's vocal abilities this way:

"The cords compress the air in a very natural fashion … there's no muscling of the instrument. It's just organic. It just flows through him.

"You're dealing with a virtuoso instrument."

Sampson's analysis included another clip of a game-winning home run that preserved a Fernando Valenzuela victory during the height of Fernandomania.

"It's gone, Fernando, it's gone," Scully says as the crowd roars, a phrasing Sampson says came in three-quarter time, like a waltz ... 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3.

"The reason we songwriters use a pattern is to make a song memorable," Sampson says. "I think people remember these game moments because of Vin's musicality."

At his computer, Sampson runs clip after clip of Scully's calls. On the last out of Sandy Koufax's perfect game, Scully warbles, "two and two to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away." Again, Sampson snaps his fingers at the rhythm.

To be satisfying, music, like architecture and like movies, relies on structure. Sampson describes a typical Scully progression this way:

"He starts with a dominant chord, and the dominant chord inherently has some tension to it that's leading to a resolution. And so this tension is leading up to something big."

Over and over, the music professors marvel at how Scully can anticipate a game's pivot point, and the way he uses his voice, like the swell of an orchestra, to make the moment cinematic.

"I think Vin has an instinct to know that something's about to happen so he uses his musicality to build toward that moment," Allen says. "He almost kicks it into gear."

Invariably, the voice professor says, Scully's emotional inflection is "perfectly in tune and tunefully spot-on to the moment he's describing."

That Voice is part of the fabric of Southern California. To hear it, is to know summer is almost on the stove, that everything will be all right for the next few hours.

Meanwhile, athletes come and go, their prime usually lasting a decade at most. Movie stars are much the same way, and recently there seems a dearth of old Hollywood royalty.

Of all people, a humble baseball announcer conquers Hollywood like no one else? It is the long shot of long shots, and something to ponder as he takes his last, bittersweet lap after 67 years with the Dodgers.

"He's the biggest star in this town," says Paul Bloch, a veteran publicist who has repped such stars as John Travolta and Bruce Willis. "He's a modest man, who walks among giants. But he's the biggest giant."

What's makes a folk hero? Presence. Authenticity. Bloch mentions the tone Scully sets as a reason for the announcer's longevity. There is a sagacious Irish verve. Wit meets wisdom. Here and there, some good old-fashioned schmaltz.

Longtime Grammy producer Ken Ehrlich has seen his share of star power come and go. He attributes Scully's longevity in part to his eloquence and voice quality, but also to a sense of elegance.

"He always looks like he stepped out of the pages of GQ," Ehrlich says. "Granted a GQ from the '50s, but there is seldom a hair out of place.

"The other thing is there's the humility, and it's true humility," Ehrlich says. "It comes from a much deeper and honest place.

"For me, that's what it is."

Back at USC, the music professors are analyzing That Voice.

"Voices are comprised of brilliance and depth, a dark quality and a light, and he's got great balance of that," Allen says.

"I call it the 'claw mark,' " the voice professor says. "When you hear one note, you can tell it's that person. McCartney. Elton John. He's got that same sort of claw mark. It can only be him."

Though flattered, Scully himself is skeptical of all the academic analysis.

"Too clever for me," he says after seeing the clips and the musical overlays that Sampson added.

Overthinking it? Perhaps. But that's what baseball fans do. Besides, it's all there in the musical transcription on Sampson's sheet music: "Two and two to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away."

"In all of these clips, something jumped out as musical," Sampson says.

Follow Chris Erskine on Twitter: @erskinetimes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/14/16 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the national tributes are coming from all directions these days:

Variety magazine, on the roots of Vin's career in broadcasting...including some stories I hadn't heard before!

And the New York Times, about his career from Brooklyn to L.A..

And this week got underway with the street naming ceremony in front of Dodger Stadium.

More Vin stories are included in my Opening Day post.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 4/21/16 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Linda, I'm getting teary eyed now. I'm going to have to save these links for later to read because my time on line is very limited right now. I don't know what we're going to do after this season, either!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/28/16 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy--while it's still in the present tense.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/12/16 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited to be adding this classic magazine cover to my collection--SI covers Vin Scully!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 5/12/16 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is super - Raul subscribes to the print magazine so I will save that copy for you if you want an extra. I will make sure to read it first though!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sun 5/15/16 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's out at the newsstands until tomorrow, that's what I've been told. I've been all over North County and can't find it. Would someone please buy a copy for me and save it until the next time we make it up here? I would gladly reimburse you.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 5/21/16 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it, and will give it to you tomorrow. Smile

Oh, Vin. The Angels honored him with a classy pre-game ceremony during the finale of the Freeway Series on Thursday night. This is starting to look more and more real. Props to the Halos organization for doing this!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/6/16 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's will be the last time Vin discusses D-Day for his listeners. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/4/16 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're at the midway point of the 2016 baseball season, and despite some frustrations with the Dodgers' play at times in the first half, I've thoroughly enjoyed--as I have every year for the last 45 or so years--listen to the master weave his craft.

Then there was this visit from when the Brewers were in L.A. last week, of the Brewers' broadcaster expressing his appreciation to Vinnie.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/10/16 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday was Vin Scully Day in the state of California!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/9/16 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many more accolades, so many more acknowledgments...and only a couple of months left with this treasure. Crying or Very sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/9/16 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and everything as the last few months go by.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/16 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jints will begin their final series at Dodger Stadium on Vin's watch tomorrow. Just a short while left to savor what we have left. Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/16 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not overlooked all the accolades he has been getting and they are all well deserved.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/29/16 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading back on this makes me sad thinking of how little time we have left. I am bookmarking these links for reading later. Vinnie we will always love you!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/31/16 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, I'm sorry I haven't mentioned how good it is to hear from you, Sunny. They need to give away a promotional box of Kleenex for Vin's last series. Sad Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/3/16 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the accolades keep rolling in. So many tributes, so many memories, so many tears.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/5/16 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy, I'm so touched by Dick Enberg's farewell to Vin yesterday, and the Padres' other broadcasters as well.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: