Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blotter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/11/09 8:21 am    Post subject: Blotter Reply with quote

Like I have on so many topics, I've gotten really behind on posting about some of the latest "legal issues" involving players in recent weeks. Two with the most notoriety involved Giants. (Now, how did that happen?) Twisted Evil

A couple of weeks ago, it was Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum being charged with possession of marijuana after being pulled over for speeding in his home state of Washington.

That certainly pales in comparison with Giants infield prospect Angel Villalona facing murder charges in the D.R.

This thread will be updated later, retroactively, to include a few more recent infractions that have taken place.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
riverdunesrat

PostPosted: Fri 11/13/09 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all news reports......I have not been pulled over for a DUI, DWI, or any other infraction. How good does that feel?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 12/14/09 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinals infielder David Freese has been arrested for DUI.

Even the tone of the Cardinals' statement seems tougher than ones in previous years.

From stlcardinals.com:

Quote:
"While we are still working to obtain all of the details, we are extremely disappointed with David, and he will have to take full responsibility for his actions," the team said in a statement. "Our employee assistance team has already been in contact with David to begin that process.

"We take these matters very seriously, and we continually reinforce with our players that they are to be accountable both on and off the field. We apologize for the embarrassment that David's actions have created."

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 12/15/09 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/15/09 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Freese's attorney seems to be unclear on the concept. He told MLB.com, "David has never had a problem with alcohol. It's something that's very, very isolated." Well, only two years ago he was charged with public intoxication and resisting a police officer when he played for the Storm in Lake Elsinore. At that time, of course, he was in the Padres' organization.

However, now, you've got to wonder how it is that any one team can have so many problems over such a short span of two or three years involving alcohol-related incidents. I'm not picking on the Cardinals. It could have been any team. I'm just making note it's rather remarkable for any organization to have such a recurring pattern. And I'm glad to see they are not taking this lightly. It's got to take a toll on everyone. I'm just glad nobody was hurt. And let's face it, in the majority of these incidents, nobody is. It still may be indicative of an underlying problem that goes beyond that, though.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 12/16/09 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news updates say his BAC was .232. That is almost 3 times the legal limit. That's a problem even if his agent or attorney are in denial. About the Lake Elsinore arrest, I vaguely remember hearing something about that. My husband and I have been to a few Storm games and saw him play. Someone made a comment to me when this news broke, that a former Padres minor leaguer had a repeat drinking incident that resulted in a DUI and of course, the first thing I thought of was Matt Bush. Freese is not our problem anymore. I know every team has been affected at some time or another with these player DUIs. But your comment about so many on one team is spot on. It's sad the message just isn't getting through. Doesn't matter where they play, what city. And I was also surprised to read the tone of that language in the statement to the press. It seems like this kid has a problem he really needs help with.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 12/17/09 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad nobody was hurt too.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/25/10 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former MLB pitcher Dwight Gooden has been charged with driving under the influence of drugs and leaving the scene of an accident--with a child in the car, to boot.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 3/25/10 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable. Looking back at this thread from a few months ago, I wonder whatever happened to David Freese. Probably got a slap on the wrist.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/25/10 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unbelievable. Looking back at this thread from a few months ago, I wonder whatever happened to David Freese. Probably got a slap on the wrist.

Well, amazingly, Cathy, there has been yet another DUI arrest in the Cardinals' organization. Seriously, is there anyone with this team who has not been charged with DUI? Perhaps Albert Pujols is the only one left; I'm starting to wonder anymore. This time, it was broadcaster Dan McLaughlin. I've lost track over the past couple of years as to what the count is (no pun intended).

But another intriguing development, on the domestic violence front, has been the issue of Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez being placed on the restricted list after being charged with third-degree assault. K-Rod had allegedly attacked his father-in-law outside the family lounge at Citi Field. He has not entered any plea and has a court appearance of September 14.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
The prosecution asked for a $5,000 bail and described the incident between Rodriguez and his father-in-law, Carlos Pena. Allegedly, Rodriguez was in the hallway outside of the family lounge with his wife, Diane, when Pena entered the hallway. After a dispute, Rodriguez began punching Pena about the head, pinning him against the wall and "pummeling" him while he was on the ground, according to the prosecution.

According to the New York Daily News, the attack began after Pena told Rodriguez to "man up and play better" when the reliever complained about Wednesday's loss.

"I don't want to say anything because I still don't know what happened," Pena told the New York Daily News a day after the arraignment at Rodriguez's Old Brookville, L.I., home.

The prosecution also raised questions about Rodriguez's history of domestic disputes, citing incidents in Venezuela and California that Rodriguez and his lawyer declined to comment on.

..."Ownership and the organization are very disappointed in Francisco's inappropriate behavior and we take this matter very seriously," Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon said in a written statement.

"You're disappointed, no doubt about it. Regardless of how it came about or what happened, for a man to get to that level at anything is not something that you encourage," Mets manager Jerry Manuel said. "You would hope that conversation or whatever, you would be able to solve it. But you still have to weigh what spurred such an action. That has to be a part of it, despite that it's wrong."

The clincher is that Rodriguez has since been placed on the DL due to injuries sustained while doing the punching! He has a torn ligament in his thumb that will require surgery.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/27/10 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up to previous post: So K-Rod's continued texting in violation of a restraining order has landed him in hot water.

Silver lining:
At least they were seeking forgiveness, not threatening.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/28/10 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly 18 months after the terrible death of Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart, the drunk driver was found guilty of second degree murder in a Santa Ana courtroom yesterday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/24/10 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad, but we have three DUI cases to post updates on:

-Former major league player Jim Leyritz was acquitted of manslaughter, but convicted of DUI charges, stemming from a 2007 accident that killed a woman in Florida.

-Rays minor league pitcher Andrew Bellatti, 19, pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter and has been sentenced, a case stemming from an accident in which a man was killed last January here in Rancho San Diego.

-Cardinals broadcaster Dan McLaughlin has pleaded guilty to DUI charges following his arrest in August.

I still can't believe this is such a problematic trend in the Cards' organization.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Pearl Girl

PostPosted: Mon 11/29/10 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to flow from the top. If they have no problem with Tony LaRussa drinking and driving, it would be hard to convince others it is wrong.

- A Bartlett Giamatti
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 12/12/10 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Rod finally pleaded guilty last week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/23/10 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Gallo has been sentenced to 51 years to life for his actions in the DUI accident that killed Nick Adenhart last year.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/18/11 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delino DeShields Jr.? You're only 18 and already have a DUI? The Astros' first round pick in the 2010 draft was arrested for driving under the influence, possession by a minor, and a traffic violation on Sunday.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 1/29/11 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/24/11 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another Astros incident (and should be of interest to you, Cathy):

Pitcher Cesar Carrillo arrested for trespassing in Florida.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 1/25/11 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is. Still kind of makes me wonder whatever happened to Pearl Girl too. We're pretty much in an offseason slow mode. Tonight I will drop a few lines out there for others, and maybe that can give you a go ahead to contact new prospects. I like Gil Hodges fan! Even if I'm always outnumbered by Dodger fans, I really don't mind so long as they're nice like the rest of you.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/29/11 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL--thanks, Cathy. Smile

Well, the latest DUI arrest took place on the OC toll road and it was none other than Adam Kennedy, former Angel, now with the Mariners' organization.

This is notable for three reasons:

-Kennedy was (probably not surprising!) a member of the 2007 St. Louis Cardinals, who were all shaken by the DUI death of teammate Josh Hancock;

-Kennedy's arrest took place in Newport Beach; those who've been on this board awhile will remember that Scott Spiezio (another Cardinal player) was busted with alcohol and substance abuse issues in Newport Beach shortly after Christmas a few years ago, and that I was near the scene of the crime when it happened;

-Being a former Halo as well, one would think he might be sensitive to not only the issues I already mentioned, but also the fact that the Angels have lost a player as a victim of a drunk driving accident.

It should be noted that he was initially pulled over for speeding, and his BAC was just over the legal limit. A borderline mistake could still lead to something worse, but he appears to be remorseful.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/17/11 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not your garden-variety DUI: Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera was pulled overin Florida, became uncooperative, was arrested...yes, the same Miguel Cabrera who was celebrated for taking steps to overcome alcoholism in late 2009.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
"Do you know who I am? You don't know anything about my problems," Cabrera told officers, according to the report.

...Wednesday's arrest comes about 17 months after police responded to an alleged incident involving Cabrera and his wife in October 2009 in suburban Detroit. No charges were filed, but Cabrera was held overnight in that situation after registering a .26 blood-alcohol level. That incident allegedly occurred in the final weekend of the regular season, with the Tigers in the midst of a playoff race with the Twins.

And notice he's smiling in his mugshot???

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/6/11 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

It seems the first week of exhibition play always sees an increase in Blotter activity.

Former major leaguer Elijah Dukes has been arrested for aggravated battery after his pregnant ex-girlfriend accused him of slapping her in the face during an argument.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 4/30/11 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have quite a variety of incidents over the past week or so. And they all involve pitchers.

Hmmm....

-Braves pitcher Derek Lowe has been arrested for DUI, so Braves GM Frank Wren has certainly had plenty of damage control opportunities over the last few days. (It should be noted that Lowe refused to take a breathalyzer test.)

-Nationals pitcher Livan Hernandez is being investigated by the Feds for involvement with a money laundering/drug trafficking scheme in Puerto Rico.

-And last, but most perplexing to me, is the arrest of our boy Mike Leake. The Reds hurler was booked last week on a misdemeanor charge of theft of clothing with a total value of under $60.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
According to the arrest report obtained by the AP, Leake removed the price tags from six American Rag T-shirts at a downtown Macy's store and tried to leave without paying for them. Police told WCPO-TV that Leake was caught on security camera leaving the store. If found guilty of the charge, Leake faces a maximum of 180 days in jail.

Leake pled guilty to a reduced misdemeanor charge--"unauthorized use of property"--yesterday and has entered a diversion program. It's still puzzling to me what was behind all this, given his explanation.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Leake...claimed to have no intention of theft. He said he was trying to exchange shirts that were already paid for.

"On April 2, I went into purchase six shirts and they did not fit -- wrong size. I proceeded to go to Macy's and exchange them on my own instead of talking to the clerk," Leake explained. "I set the six shirts down and got the correct sizes myself, walked out and they stopped me. I realize how boneheaded of a move that was. It was very wrong and I sincerely apologize.

"It was a serious lapse in judgment. For that, I will be willing to do anything I have to do."

Leake said that he did not have a receipt for the shirts he purchased but did have a credit card statement that proved the purchase was made. Whether that was explained to the store at the time of the arrest is not known.

"I'd rather not get into it. We'll let it rest where it is," Leake said.

As for why Leake chose to execute the exchange improperly, that also remains a mystery.

"I couldn't tell you the exact reason, my thought process exactly what was going on through my head," Leake said. "I know it was truly a bad mistake. For that, I'm willing to do whatever I need to do."

As a college-educated kid and one who has had no record of trouble with the law, you've got to wonder. Hey, Mike, next time just use the dressing room first, okay?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 5/4/11 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation with him is too strange. I can't believe he had that poor judgment when as you said, he's not some kid fresh off the turnip truck. Aaron knows someone who played with him in Fallbrook and I told him I was interested in what they know as far as if that story could be possible or if he thinks there's more to it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/5/11 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And guess what? We have another DUI--Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo was arrested on Monday outside Cleveland.

Excerpted details from MLB.com:

Quote:
Choo is the second player for the Indians, and the sixth player in the Majors, to be arrested on charges stemming from a DUI this year.

...Indians manager Manny Acta said on Tuesday that he does not believe the arrests of Choo and Kearns mean the ballclub needs to revisit its internal policies. Acta also did not feel Major League Baseball necessarily needed to step in to start dishing out punishment for events that occur away from the ballpark.

"It's a universal issue," Acta said.

...Choo also issued a formal statement.

"I sincerely apologize to my family, teammates, fans and the Indians organization for the attention stemming from this matter," Choo said. "However, I am hopeful that this incident will not be a distraction to the Indians organization while we remain focused on continuing to play winning baseball.

"Since this is a legal matter, I look forward to it being resolved within the court system as soon as possible."

...According to the official police report, a breathalyzer test performed at the Sheffield Lake station determined Choo's blood-alcohol level to be .201 -- more than double Ohio's legal limit of .08. Prior to being transported to the police station, Choo also failed a handful of field sobriety tests.

Choo first came into contact with police at 2:25 a.m., according to the report. Initially, the outfielder asked an officer to help him find his way to Avon Lake, Ohio. The officer did not observe the smell of alcohol on Choo at first and agreed to follow the outfielder to make sure he reached his home.

At one point, Choo pulled off to the side of a road and turned on his hazard lights. He then indicated to an officer that the GPS in his white 2007 Cadillac SUV was not working properly. The officer again informed the outfielder that he would follow him home, according to the report.

While the officer followed in a cruiser, he witnessed Choo driving over the road's double yellow line on two separate occasions. He also veered into a bike lane on the opposite side of the road. Choo was then pulled over a second time, at which point the officer noticed his eyes were bloodshot and he smelled of alcohol.

Choo was then asked to perform a number of sobriety tests. When he struggled to follow the officer's instructions, Choo was arrested and taken to the Sheffield Lake station. When he was later led out of the station, Choo smashed his personal camera in the parking lot, according to the report.

Officers also noticed minor damage to the front bumper and driver's side door on Choo's vehicle. Choo was released without bond and driven home.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 6/8/11 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far he has fallen, and it's a shame. I've heard much over the years about Lenny Dykstra's shady dealings, and it appears they've caught up to him. Identity theft? Question Question

From the L.A. Times:

"Lenny Dykstra hit with drug, grand theft auto charges"

The former Mets star is accused of a scheme to obtain luxury cars using credit from a company that doesn't exist; possession of cocaine, human growth hormone and Ecstasy; and identity theft.

By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times

June 7, 2011
The New Yorker magazine once touted former New York Mets star Lenny Dykstra as "baseball's most improbable post-career success story." He transformed himself into a financial guru and ace stock picker, drove a Maybach and bought Wayne Gretzky's palatial estate near the Sherwood Country Club.

But on Monday, Dykstra's well-documented financial collapse took another sharp turn when authorities charged him with nearly two dozen felony counts related to a scheme to obtain luxury cars and possession of cocaine, human growth hormone and Ecstasy.

The charges come a month after Dykstra was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of bankruptcy fraud and obstruction of justice.

Los Angeles County prosecutors said Dykstra, 48, along with his accountant Robert Hymers, 27, and friend Christopher Gavanis, 30, tried to claim credit through a phony business and stolen identity. Beginning in January, the trio tried to lease high-end cars from several area dealerships.

"He has scammed everybody he knows," Deputy Dist. Atty. Alex Karkanen said. "They faked pay stubs. They faked income information for the company. They made it all up on a laser printer at home. And when the dealers asked for a co-signer, they said their financial officer would sign."

The so-called financial officer was actually an unsuspecting customer of the accountant, Karkanen said, adding, "He knew nothing about them using his identity.

At two dealerships, Dykstra and Hymers provided information for the "co-signer," but the leases were not approved. At one of the dealerships, Dykstra, Hymers and Gavanis provided fraudulent information and drove off with 2011 models of a Ford Mustang, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKS, Karkanen said.

Maria Ramirez, head deputy district attorney in charge of the auto fraud unit, said Dykstra's company, Home Free Systems, "doesn't even exist. He's hardly a financial guru."

They "presented the company like it was making millions of dollars when it was not," Ramirez said.

When police arrested Dykstra April 14 at his Encino home in connection with the car scheme, they served a search warrant and seized cocaine and Ecstasy along with somatropin, a synthetic human growth hormone.

The new felony charges include five counts of attempted grand theft auto, eight counts of filing false financial statements, four counts of identity theft, three counts of grand theft auto and three counts of possession of a controlled substance. In addition, he is charged with one misdemeanor count each of possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and unauthorized possession of a syringe.

Dykstra appeared in a San Fernando courtroom Monday afternoon and was remanded to custody, with bail set at $500,000. A bail reduction hearing is scheduled for Friday.

If convicted, Dykstra faces up to 12 years in state prison.

Dykstra is also facing federal charges, including bankruptcy fraud and obstruction of justice, for allegedly sneaking away with more than $400,000 in property that should have gone to his creditors, then lying about it under oath.

The former Mets and Phillies outfielder known to his fans as "Nails" is accused of stealing, hiding and destroying items such as chandeliers, artwork, sconces and personal sports memorabilia from his $18-million Ventura County mansion, according to the federal indictment.

His attorney in the federal case, Mark Werksman, has called the charges payback by the bankruptcy administrator for balking at their plans to sell off assets. Dykstra had filed for bankruptcy in 2009 a fall from grace for the man CNBC "Mad Money" host Jim Cramer once hired to write a stock-picking column.

richard.winton@latimes.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update on Derek Lowe DUI case:

Charges against the Atlanta pitcher were dropped for lack of evidence. Reading the article, I'm surprised they were even filed...very strange!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/9/11 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sooner was I writing about Lowe, when up jumped the devil.

Diamondbacks announcer and former player Mark Grace was arrested for DUI in Scottsdale on Memorial Day weekend.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 6/15/11 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wonder sometimes. What does it take?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/11/11 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you just gotta wonder how low Nails can go, or at least how bad the story gets. The most recent chapter of his saga includes charges of indecent exposure, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

Poor Cutter...it must be really embarrassing for him.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/13/11 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure it is, and now Manny has been arrested for domestic violence. Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/13/11 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Here's the story about the former Dodgers/Red Sox slugger.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 9/23/11 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: