Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blotter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/17/19 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates pitcher Felipe Vazquez, 28, has been charged with soliciting a 13-year old girl on-line.

SMH
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 10/28/19 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 10/11/19 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, this is preferable to soliciting a child on-line, but WTH is up with Jacob Nix? The Padres pitcher, who as we know is in Peoria for AFL play, was arrested for criminal trespassing at a home there, last weekend. In through the doggie door, though? It makes one wonder. Question Question
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 10/11/19 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was totally shocked! I have no response.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 10/12/19 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the Padres pitcher--and this doesn't sound good:

Jacob Nix was "too intoxicated" to explain his actions to police.

But, at least they weren't driving.

Quote:
Tom Cosgrove, a minor league pitcher in the Padres system, was also arrested, but it was not clear if he was charged.

According to the report provided by the Peoria Police Department, Cosgrove told police that he and Nix had been drinking in Scottsdale when they decided to split a Uber back to Nix’s residence.

Nix reportedly told police he was “too (expletive) up” to realize he was not entering his home when the homeowner confronted Nix as he crawled through a doggy door entrance through the backyard.

Nix – who was kicked in the face by the homeowner, Tasered and arrested a short while later after Cosgrove pulled him from the doggy door – acknowledged to officers that he did not have any animals at his home, nor did he have a doggy door.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 10/13/19 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have been on the central coast the last couple of days I missed hearing any sports talk about this but I have to agree, he must have been pretty messed up. Rolling Eyes
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 10/14/19 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share the feelings Rolling Eyes
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/31/19 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the World Series is over and it's back to the ugly news of guys who have self-control issues, like Josh Hamilton.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 11/2/19 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a horrible story! Mad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 12/28/19 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Rich Hill is being referred to as an "ex"-Dodgers pitcher, which I suppose is accurate given he's not currently under contract.

But this story from earlier this week does not present a pleasant scenario. (I only wish Harpo were here to share this with--we had a running joke about "oversized bags"!)
Sad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/16/20 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile but here are a couple of updates:

Former MLB player Josh Hamilton has been indicted on a third degree felony charge of injury to a child following a scuffle with his oldest daughter, age 14, last fall.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 4/17/20 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread but I'm posting it here anyway because if he were still alive Hall of Fame pitcher Roy Halladay would probably be facing some charges. The NTSB has found that his plane was being flown in a reckless manner when he died in November, 2017. Here is an article about it which includes the following.

Quote:
According to the report, Halladay had amphetamine levels about 10 times greater than therapeutic levels in his blood along with a high level of morphine and an anti-depressant. The report also noted that the plane Halladay was piloting on Nov. 7, 2017 "was making steep turns and high-pitch climbs" up to about 500 feet, according to witnesses.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/18/20 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very unfortunate, that he was putting others at danger while losing his own life. I understand his wife asking people to withhold judgment because this is painful for them. I have mixed feelings on that. It is not our place to "judge" people but it is our place to speak out against that kind of endangerment. It seems sort of like that DUI with the Cardinals a few years ago - Oscar Taveras? His girlfriend was killed. If he had survived he sure would have been charged. I think this is tragic and I hope the Halladay family will take some time to bring awareness and education to how important it is to not put other people in danger when you are under the influence. Too much risk taking.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 6/25/20 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to read about this, David Ortiz has a restraining order filed against him in the D.R. - article linked here

The mother of his son is saying he has been intimidating and threatening her which I can see would be a huge concern. It does not seem like him, but then we do not know what they are always like privately. Confused
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/29/20 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a sad and sensitive subject, and I probably should post it in Thoughts & Prayers as well--but for now, since the topic deals with a criminal issue, I'm posting it here. Clearly this young man needs professional help, and there isn't a Dodger fan who doesn't wish him well. Andrew Toles has only been a Dodger for three years, was a part-time outfielder during that time, and didn't even play in 2019 due to what was being reported as handling a "personal matter." However, he was recently found apparently homeless and sleeping in a building located behind the Key West, FL airport, and arrested for non-compliance with a request to leave the premises. Here's one report of this sad episode.

Toles briefly brought joy to Dodger fans, although playing in fewer than 100 games for our team, so this is a very unfortunate situation, indeed. At the same time, I wish him well in getting some help to deal with his internal issues.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 6/29/20 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh, that is sad. Crying or Very sad
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/7/20 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Angels employee Tim Kay has been charged with distributing Fentanyl in connection with Tyler's death last year - article from USA Today
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 8/7/20 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that's surprising to me is how long it took them to charge him.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/9/20 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More coming on that topic, per the L.A. Times:

"Column: Target in Tyler Skaggs’ Death is Eric Kay, but ‘Others’ are Most Troubling"

By DYLAN HERNÁNDEZ, COLUMNIST
AUG. 7, 2020
8:23 PM

The word hangs in the air like a curveball that doesn’t break — “others.” That particular six-letter combination appeared seven times in an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint filed against Eric Kay, the former Angels communications director, charged Friday with fentanyl distribution in connection with the overdose death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs.

The term surfaced again in a news release by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Texas.

The word “others” is an ominous presence in these documents, raising the possibility that one of the most tragic episodes in Angels history could be darker than anyone imagines.

The affidavit by a Drug Enforcement Administration special agent described how “Kay, [Skaggs], and others would refer to these pills as ‘blues’ or ‘blue boys’ because they were blue in color.”

The news release contended the DEA “determined that Mr. Kay allegedly regularly dealt the blue M/30 pills — dubbed ‘blue boys’ — to Mr. Skaggs and to others, [doling] out the pills at the stadium where they worked.”

The charge against Kay, 45, looked as if it was an inevitability since October, when the well-liked, longtime Angels employee was identified as the source of the tainted drugs that killed the 27-year-old Skaggs. That didn’t make Friday any less sad.

But there is more than heartbreak over the lives affected. The new details evoked a sickening feeling over what could be revealed in the coming days, weeks and months.

Who are the “others”? Are they also Angels players? Was Skaggs’ death a result of a systemic problem that existed or exists within the organization? That’s certainly a possibility.

DEA special agent Geoffrey Lindenberg’s seven-page affidavit detailed a text message exchange between Skaggs and Kay on the afternoon of the pitcher’s death.

Kay: Hoe [sic] many?
Skaggs: Just a few like 5
Kay: Word
Skaggs: Don’t need many

Their electronic correspondence resumed near midnight, when Skaggs texted Kay his room number.

Skaggs: 469
Skaggs: Come by
Kay: K

“Based on my training and experience,” Lindenberg’s affidavit read, “I believe [Skaggs] and Kay were discussing drugs, specifically in this case, blue 30 milligram oxycodone pills.”

The casualness of their messages indicated that wasn’t the first time Kay provided drugs for Skaggs. Lindenberg said he was able to confirm as much. “During the course of this investigation, I learned that [Skaggs] and Kay had a history of narcotics transactions, including several exchanges wherein Kay acquired oxycodone pills for [Skaggs] and others from Kay’s source(s) and distributed these pills to [Skaggs] and others,” the affidavit said.

There’s that word again, “others.”

If the Angels have confirmed the existence of “others” or discovered their identities, they aren’t sharing the details. The statement they released Friday created the impression they were treating this more like a liability problem than a potential organizational drug scourge.

In addition to cooperating with law enforcement and Major League Baseball, the Angels said they hired a former federal prosecutor to conduct an independent investigation.

“We learned that there was unacceptable behavior inconsistent with our code of conduct, and we took steps to address it,” their statement read. “Our investigation also confirmed that no one in management was aware, or informed, of any employee providing opioids to any player, nor that Tyler was using opioids.”

The point about management’s lack of knowledge looked like a preemptive counter against a wrongful death lawsuit that could be filed by Skaggs’ family. Meanwhile, Joe Maddon, hired as the Angels manager last October, sounded like he wouldn’t even entertain the possibility that Skaggs was the only drug user on the team.

“Honestly, I have not been a part of this investigation whatsoever,” Maddon said in an online news conference. “I’m as aware of it as you are.” Maddon’s time with the Angels never overlapped with Skaggs’, but as the manager, didn’t he want to know what was going on in his clubhouse, if such a problem existed?

“Trust me,” Maddon said. “I know what’s going on in my clubhouse.”

He mentioned how he made it a point to speak to Andrew Heaney, who considered Skaggs his best friend.

But Maddon sounded less certain when asked how confident he was that any drug issues have been eradicated.

“I would hope so,” Maddon said. “I’m not an expert, but I don’t recognize any kind of issues right now.”

Maddon was smart to speak as carefully as he did, considering a disclaimer Lindenberg made in his affidavit.

“Since the affidavit is being submitted for the limited purpose of securing an arrest warrant,” the document read, “I have not included every fact known to me concerning this investigation.”

In other words, prepare for the worst. Prepare for the “others.” Baseball’s saddest story could become even more miserable.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 8/10/20 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should serve as a wake up call. I would have a hard time believing the Angels were the only team where something like this happened. A death will sure shake things up, though and it is too bad Tyler had to be that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: