Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spirit of #39
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 12/31/10 10:50 pm    Post subject: Spirit of #39 Reply with quote

Continuing unfinished business of this past season:

Props to Jamey Carroll, super-sub off the Dodgers bench who far exceeded most fans' expectations in this, his first year in L.A. The utility infielder was honored with the Roy Campanella Award for 2010, given to the most inspirational Dodger of the season in memory of the late Dodgers catcher.

According to MLB.com:

Quote:
Dodger shortstop Rafael Furcal received the inaugural Roy Campanella Award in 2006 and since then the honor has been bestowed to Russell Martin (2007), James Loney (2008), Juan Pierre (2009) and now Carroll.

In his first season with the Dodgers, Carroll is hitting .295 with 48 runs scored and a team-leading .383 on-base percentage in 129 games. The versatile infielder has played 64 games at shortstop, 44 at second base, 11 at third and five in left field. He has made just six errors on the season, despite 429 total chances at the four positions.

Carroll has been stellar in place of oft-injured starting shortstop Rafael Furcal and ended up shattering his career highs in games (6Cool, starts (64) and innings (565.0) at short. The Indiana native owns a .985 fielding percentage at the position this season, which ranks third among all Major League shortstops (min. 60 games). When Furcal was out from April 28-May 5, Carroll played in 25 straight contests (24 starts) and the Dodgers rolled to a 17-8 record during that time.

In addition to his hustle out of the batter's box and knack for making the tough play, Carroll is hitting .326 (61-for-187) at home and ranks second on the team in walks with 50, despite having only 342 at-bats. Carroll is also batting .360 with two outs and .326 with runners in scoring position and two out.

In August, he led the club with a .322 average and ranked seventh in the National League with a .419 on-base percentage. The 36-year-old also put together a terrific June (.344) and is currently hitting .361 in September. Carroll hit .500 (6-for-12) as a pinch-hitter this season and .331 against the NL West.

Well-done, Jamey--very impressive.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 1/4/11 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as a Padre fan I have to say I do admire what he did for you. That was well deserved.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/21/11 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Bison is this year's winner!

Congratulations to him for not only an awesome turnaround, but for representing our organization with hustle and class at all times!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 9/24/11 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Congratulations to him for not only an awesome turnaround, but for representing our organization with hustle and class at all times!

That could not have been said better. Unless you could have said it louder

They say it is given to the player who best exemplifies Roy Campanella's character. It is such a reward and honor and to have him win it, I am just so happy and proud. Speaking of Campanella whatever did happen to that article about him from last year when they gave the award out? I thought you were going to post it then. I was trying to find it to show a friend but couldn't remember where it was from. It seems it was from Plaschke but I'm not certain. Is there a link that you have?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 9/25/11 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is such a reward and honor and to have him win it, I am just so happy and proud. Speaking of Campanella whatever did happen to that article about him from last year when they gave the award out?

You know, I'll go find that. I dropped a line to Joni last year, letting her know I was very impressed with it. It brought tears to my eyes! She is so proud of his legacy.

I agree--what a wonderful honor to win it, and imagine if he were to go 40/40 the same season?

I love that the players consistently vote in someone deserving, and every year they seem to get it right.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 9/27/11 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really surprised we have not heard from Gil Hodges Fan on this topic. She seems to love everything about the old Brooklyn Dodgers and things referring to all your old players. As a fan of another team I would like to say congratulations to him for winning this honor. He really does seem to be a great guy to represent your team. After the game on Friday, we saw him interacting with a lot of fans in the Gaslamp and signing for them. He was very polite. Seems like a very humble man. I called out to him and said congratulations on winning the Campanella award and he turned around and said "thank you ma'a.m, it means a lot to me." He might have been surprised anyone in Padres gear would say that, or would even know about that. That's why I read this board. lol Sunnyblue, I know it means a lot to you too. It was really electric watching him play this weekend and I wish we had someone like that who was so good in so many skills of the game.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/28/11 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am really surprised we have not heard from Gil Hodges Fan on this topic.

Right--I hope it's because she just hasn't gotten to this thread yet. I really appreciate your comments about him because it's nice to hear that from someone who is not a Dodger fan.

Quote:
He might have been surprised anyone in Padres gear would say that, or would even know about that. That's why I read this board. lol

LOL!

Thanks, Cathy--as I said above it speaks volumes to hear a Padre fan compliment him. I know he's humble. In fact, once I finish this post about the game last Thursday, I will move on to posting about the weekend series between our teams. He got a lot of love from not just our fans who were present, but even local players, Padre staff and sportswriters.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 9/29/11 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm surprised we haven't heard from her too.

He is so respected by his teammates and others around the league. Especially when you think about how hard he has worked to turn himself around after the last season and came back with a real drive to prove himself again.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 10/1/11 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to hear on here that the Bison won the Roy Campanella award. From what I've read about him he embodies what Roy Campanella meant to the Dodgers and his contributions to the team. Campanella was just so happy to be playing the game he didn't involve himself in the politics of the time and I loved Roy's easy-going cheery personality, particularly with all he faced after 1957.

I have to give credit here to Walter O'Malley who saw there was a spot in the Dodger organzation for Campy after his accident so he could still be involved in baseball.

I am happy that Roy Campanella will always be remembered with this award every year and I know that every Dodger player who wins it will value how much it means to win it because of the guy Campy was.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 10/7/11 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found it! From the L.A. times, one year ago, last month.

"Catching Roy Campanella's spirit"

The pioneering Dodger was a model of strength, even after a disabling injury. A gift from the team draws attention to his legacy.

September 22, 2010|Bill Plaschke

Tucked behind flowing pink bougainvillea and thick green shrubs, the Woodland Hills home quietly masks the force of nature that once lived inside.

The wide doors are in deference to his wheelchair. The bars on the window are symbolic of his fight.

Sitting peacefully on a bookshelf in the dining room is a gold urn containing his ashes. Typically, perfectly, the top and bottom of the container are wrapped in masking tape.

Roy Campanella, Lord knows, would do anything to hold himself together.

It is a lesson that could be learned today by the crumbling Dodgers players and their unsteady owner. It is a lesson that will be appropriately delivered Thursday night when, amid one of the most tumultuous times in its history, the franchise will officially reconnect with its toughest man ever.

The Dodgers are bringing Campy back, and good for them. In a Dodger Stadium ceremony before their game with the San Diego Padres, they will make two contributions to the Roy and Roxie Campanella Physical Therapy Scholarship Endowment at Cal State Northridge. They will donate money to the fund, and a seasonal internship in their medical department for a student from Northridge's renowned physical therapy department.

Joni Campanella Roan, his daughter, is expected to be on the field to accept the gifts. She will be joined by a most stirring bit of Dodgers memorabilia, her father's empty wheelchair. For one night, Campy will be back in front of a crowd he moved without moving, in a house that he helped build even though he never played an inning there.

This is all good, because, let's face it, of the three ancient Dodgers African American pioneers, Campanella is the one who has drifted furthest away.

Jackie Robinson's number hangs in every major league stadium in the country. Don Newcombe can be found standing behind the batting cage during every Dodgers homestand of the summer.

Campy? He died in 1993, his devoted wife Roxie died in 2004, his best memorabilia has been sold in an auction, and his foundation no longer exists.

He has several children and grandchildren living in Southern California, but there are no baseball connections here, and it's been 53 years since he last caught a pitch, and, well, when is the last time you heard somebody mention his name?

"It's so important that he doesn't get lost in history," said his daughter. "His role is so significant in so many ways."

Roan lives in the only remaining monument to Campanella, the house where he lived after moving here from New York in 1978, a place where he put bars on the windows to ward off intruders who would take advantage of his inability to move. There are a couple of Campanella paintings on the wall, but since Roxie inexplicably decided to sell his memorabilia before her death, there are only a few Campy trinkets in the trophy case.

His MVP trophies are gone. His 1955 World Series ring is gone.

"There's not much here anymore," Roan said, shaking her head. "My mother wanted to give Roy's things to his fans, and I know Pops would have supported it, but now, well, I'm torn."

Her car displays Campanella's California license plate - Roy 39 - and occasionally it draws a few honks. But mostly it's quiet here, Roxie's ashes sitting in an urn next to Campy's, a family moving forward with only the memories.

"He has a legacy somewhere out there," said Roan. "I'm just thrilled when people embrace it."

It is a legacy in motion, and legacy in stillness. It is two legacies really, both born of two difficult paths. He was one of baseball's first African Americans, and he was one of society's most celebrated quadriplegics.

As a baseball player, he was a three-time MVP whose play was overshadowed by his off-the-field work as a mentor for Robinson.

'"Jack would blow his top, and Campy would calm him down, and then calm me down," said Newcombe. "We were all going through so much back then, we needed Campy as our stabilizing influence."

After losing all feeling below his neck as a result of an automobile accident in January 1958, Campanella became that same strong influence from his wheelchair. Even though he was injured just months before the team moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles, Campy instantly became a Los Angeles Dodgers hero, as evidenced by the night in 1959 when more than 90,000 fans lighted up the Coliseum with matches and cigarette lighters in his honor.

That scene made for one of the most famous photographs in Dodgers history. But ultimately more compelling were the snapshots of Campy sitting behind a backstop working with Dodgers catchers, teaching them to stand strong even though he could not do the same.

Steve Yeager, Mike Scioscia and Mike Piazza all credit their development to Campanella, who lived for 35 years in a wheelchair with a presence that greatly affected those who never saw him catch.

"The one person who had every reason to give up, he never gave up," said Mark Langill, Dodgers historian. "His impact on this franchise was huge."

There probably won't be any matches or cigarette lighters being waved at Dodger Stadium Thursday night, but here's hoping for huge cheers for the stationary hero who moved mountains. Here's hoping they give Roy Campanella a nice, warm sitting ovation.

bill.plaschke@latimes.com

twitter.com/billplaschke

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 10/8/11 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the article! I remember that special ceremony back in 2008 before the exhibition game! What a nice gesture the Dodgers made then. DB, I wish I had known you then, but we didn't meet until later that year.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 10/10/11 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an emotional article. Thanks for locating it and posting it again Linda. Campanella certainly deserves to be remembered more than he is.

It's sad that his children don't have his MVP awards or his World Series ring. I wonder what kind of a display they have at the Hall of Fame for him? I have heard about the great statues at the Hall of him catching and Podres pitching and they are the exact distance apart as on a real playing field.

His cheery attitude in the face of so many obstacles after his accident, his dedication to the Dodgers always and his contributions to team after hs accident to become an inspiration for future catchers is just amazing. A real testimony to the man and dedicated Dodger that he was.

All I can say is, what a guy! I am so happy that his name and contributions are kept out there every year with the Roy Campanella Award.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/12/11 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunnyblue,

Quote:
I remember that special ceremony back in 2008 before the exhibition game! What a nice gesture the Dodgers made then.

True!--as much as Plaschke's column evoked, that was a much more emotional evening than perhaps anything I've experienced in baseball.

It was spine-tingling to be with 115,000 fans celebrating them in the same house.

And I am so thrilled for Joni.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 10/13/11 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know! Have you talked to her lately?

Being part of the Guinness book of world records, pretty exciting! If only we knew what was coming in a couple of years. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/13/11 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. I meant to ask about the award before it was given, but I'll have to drop her a line.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/1/12 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis, voted the winner of the Roy Campanella Award for 2012.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 10/1/12 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exciting Very Happy He is certainly more deserving of the award than Loney was.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/1/12 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Lo wasn't even eligible, since he isn't a Dodger.

Or what else am I missing here???

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 10/2/12 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loney won the award in 2008. I guess that was probably before his melt-down where he spit at cops and had to be placed in restraints after causing a multiple-car accident.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/2/12 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Loney won the award in 2008. I guess that was probably before his melt-down where he spit at cops and had to be placed in restraints after causing a multiple-car accident.

Did that not happen, like, this year? And I thought they dropped the charges?

Maybe I am wrong since I do not follow them as closely as you but I thought he was really respected among his teammates.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 10/2/12 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the charges were dropped but I don't know what all the aggression was about when he was initially arrested for driving so irratically and being involved in a multi-car accident.

Part of me is probably still a bit biased towards those Brooklyn boys too. Hard to compare them to any other Dodgers for me though I know Kemp is a great guy from all I've heard and Ellis seems like a really nice guy too.

I love Preacher Roe's quote " I know one of these days the good Lord is going to come calling," Preacher says, " and when that happens I certainly hope he sees fit to send me up to heaven. But heaven will really have to be something to better than what we all had long ago in Brooklyn."
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/2/12 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess that was probably before his melt-down where he spit at cops and had to be placed in restraints after causing a multiple-car accident.

Probably? Well, yeah, since that accident was in the last 11 months. It was more than three years before that.

Quote:
I don't know what all the aggression was about when he was initially arrested for driving so irratically

Like I posted after they concluded the investigation, they thought it was related to a concussion he had just suffered, or so medical experts said.

I do know Joni was very impressed and proud of him. He was also the Dodgers' Roberto Clemente award representative that same year he won the Campanella Award.

GilHodgesFan,

Although I do understand how you feel about the Brooklyn Dodgers, I think that, other than Jackie Robinson and his activism, you'd be hard pressed to find even one of those players who accomplished as much in community work anywhere in the Brooklyn community during their tenure, as J-Lo did while in L.A.

My only real problems with him were his failure to produce on the field between 2011-2012. But in response to Cathy, yes, he was very respected by his teammates, and that's how he won the award.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/28/13 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CK adds another prestigious honor to his collection--this year's Roy Campanella Award will be presented to him before tonight's game at Dodger Stadium. Congratulations to him!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 9/30/13 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems like a great guy.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/23/14 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we have a repeat winner--Clayton Edward Kershaw! He received the prestigious Campanella Award for the second consecutive year before last night's Dodgers-Jints game. Congratulations, CK!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/6/15 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack Greinke is the winner of the 2015 Roy Campanella Award, which was presented by Joni before the Dodgers-Padres game on Sunday. This is the tenth season in which a Dodger has been honored with this annual award.

Congratulations, Zack!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/28/16 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to believe a year has gone by, and while of course Zack is no longer a Dodger, a more fitting recipient (in my opinion) was chosen for the 2016 Campanella Award--our second baseman.

Chase certainly displays the grit and inspirational play that the award's namesake did, and I'm proud to call him a Dodger. He's also a native Angeleno, making it even more special.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 9/30/16 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news about him. Congratulations to Chase. He is a good veteran to have around.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 10/11/16 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase is a very good player for this award! Congratulations!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/27/17 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see this coming earlier in the summer, so it really wasn't any surprise to me when Rojo Chingon was named the Roy Campanella Award winner for 2017.

Such a well-deserved honor for the Long Beach native! Congratulations!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: