Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SABR Stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/29/11 8:14 pm    Post subject: SABR Stuff Reply with quote

I'm surprised I've never started a thread about SABR with all the years this forum has been in existence. The Society for American Baseball Research was formed in 1971 for fans of the game who hold a deep love for the heritage and history of baseball. January 29 was designated SABR Day 2011 around the country, and was celebrated in many different ways by the various regional chapters of SABR.

I was not able to attend today's event at Petco Park, where the Ted Williams Chapter converged for some interesting presentations, as I was hard at work finalizing our Annual Report for the Annual Meeting tomorrow.

This year's national SABR Convention will be held in Long Beach in July, so I plan to be there given its close proximity.

For more information about this organization, click here.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 1/30/11 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been meaning to join them for years. Thanks for the updates. I would like to check out that convention. Do you know the agenda yet?
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/4/11 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd gone to that meeting last weekend. A guy from Ducksnorts, one of the Padres blogs, has written about his xperiences at the SABR Day here. It sounded great. I always enjoy hearing about the old PCL stories. Here's his report
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/9/11 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have not yet seen an agenda for the Convention yet, but will stay on top of that and post them as details emerge.

Thanks for the report link. Smile Speaking of the old PCL stories, I'm reminded that this is the 75th anniversary of Padres baseball in San Diego, counting both the minor league days and the 42 years of expansion-era Padres.

Andy Strasberg of our local chapter is supposed to make a presentation in Houston for SABR geeks there. I've heard him speak before and he's always interesting! I think that's coming up in a couple of weeks.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 2/25/11 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 2/22/11 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports. I have always been interested in SABR and am going to try and get to the convention this year.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/25/11 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up on Andy's trip to Houston

This is a good one I enjoyed reading. I think we've probably lost Pearl Girl for good. This is the longest she has been away.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 3/2/11 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our SABR should do something for Duke! Would anyone who hears if they do, please post about it. Thank you!
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 3/4/11 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story about a fan's friendship with their favorite player Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/7/11 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SABR national convention is underway now in Long Beach, and I'm lamenting the fact that I'm missing it due to my work and personal issues. I had originally planned to attend all five days, but now it looks like I'll be lucky if make it to one or two this weekend.

It all got started yesterday with fans, panelists and researchers converging on SoCal. If I am correct, Sunnyblue and Danny are still planning to attend on Saturday? Cathy, did you decide what you were going to do since you are in O.C. now?

I'm sorry I didn't post the agenda sooner, but since I have spoken to Sunnyblue, I know she is aware of some of the sessions we would both like to attend.

All information on the convention is contained on the SABR website which is linked above.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/10/11 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, I am so upset we had a lot of things going as my husband and I seriously considered going up to Long Beach while we were in Laguna. Some things needed our attention back here in town but we did check to see if there was any way we could register for some sessions without paying the entire fees and they did say yes. I wanted to hear Jan Wood speak. He wanted to hear the medical panel. I'm really mad we missed this. We had plenty of time to get ready for it, but we really should have planned better. It will be on the East Coast in 2 years so we're not likely to make the trip then unless we can combine it with a baseball stadium trip. That's a long way off but I just don't see it happening.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/15/11 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I too am disappointed with the way things turned out. I had originally planned to attend, but real life interfered with my health and work issues. In particular I would have loved to hear the 1959, '63 & '65 World Series discussed in context with the Dodgers' first decade in Los Angeles and the city changing around them. So I'm very sorry I didn't get to attend. Sad

Following is an interesting read from the L.A. Times. One thing that piqued my curiosity was the mention that SABR's membership is concentrated in the Northeast...yet, its national headquarters recently moved from Cleveland to Phoenix. Further proof of the shifting demographics of baseball from east to west? Sure, Cooperstown will always be in the Northeast, and so will the Yankees-Red Sox. But the West is "where it's at."

"Baseball researchers gather for SABR convention in Long Beach"

It's more than complicated statistics at the SABR convention in Long Beach. Baseball devotees gather to discuss history, media, performance-enhancing drugs and more.

By Lisa Dillman

July 8, 2011, 7:15 p.m.

Deep into the committee meeting, the mood was quickly swinging from scholarly detachment to pointed crankiness in the Pacific Room at the Long Beach Hilton.

Debate over the sanctity of the 1918 World Series has a way of doing that.

So, yes, Cubs outfielder Max Flack did have a bad series as his team lost to the Red Sox in 1918. After conceding that known point, though, an attendee declared that the examination of the games in question "may be one of the worst books ever written." And it had a "tiny little basis for its existence."

Brush-back pitch, SABR style.

This was Thursday, the second day of a five-day convention in Long Beach of the Society for American Baseball Research, a group of historians, researchers and statisticians. Think sabermetrics, a form of objective statistical baseball analysis that brought us stats like VORP, WAR and BABIP, and you get an idea.

SABR held its first meeting when 16 individuals got together at the Hall of Fame library in Cooperstown, N.Y., in 1971. They put together a mission statement, elected officers, and among other things wondered how many other baseball devotees wanted to join.

"Everyone put their heads together and the grand total we came up with… was 50," said founding member Tom Hufford.

"Well, we are off."

Membership hit 100 by the end of 1971, and Hufford said there are about 6,100 members now. Organizers said about 400 registered for this convention, a good turnout considering that membership is largely concentrated in the Northeast.

The median age of SABR's mostly male members is 59, Hufford said. Headquarters for the organization this year moved to Phoenix from Cleveland.

"It's much like a historical society in that the age of our members tends to be getting older," he said. "A lot of folks join in the early 20s or 30s and after a year say, 'This is great, but I'm busy at work, getting married and raising a family. In 20 years I'll come back.' We have a lot of that.

"We're not a fan club. A lot of folks have joined over the years thinking it was kind of a fan club and come to meetings and meet some players. That's true, but we do more than that. There is something here for everyone."

This week's panels ranged far and wide: examining the Joe Morgan trade between the Reds and Astros in 1971; the Supreme Court decision in Toolson vs. New York Yankees in 1953; and a media panel exploring where people will get their baseball information a decade from now.

Agent Scott Boras delivered the keynote address Thursday morning and spoke about his first venture into negotiating on behalf of a client, Toronto Blue Jays closer Bill Caudill in 1985.

Boras didn't have a computer to crunch numbers then — just stacks of information all over the house to best evaluate closers.

"There had been a contract in the marketplace — and I know you'll find this shocking, but I thought it was very undervalued — for a reliever named Jeff Reardon," Boras said. "Reardon had almost identical stats to those of Caudill, and he signed a five-year contract for around $3 million."

During his speech, the lights in the ballroom went out briefly: "I can see what's going on in L.A. is also true of the SABR convention," Boras joked. "They're not paying their bills either."

He returned to Caudill. Even the players union didn't think Boras was going to prevail, telling him it thought he had no chance of winning the arbitration case.

Driving to the hearing, an anything-but-relaxed Caudill "was in a full sweat," Boras said. "He was perspiring so much his shirt was spotted. I said, 'Appreciate the confidence.'" Before arbitration, Boras ended up negotiating a five-year deal worth $7.5 million, making Caudill the second-highest paid reliever in baseball.

At this week's convention, present-day medical issues were also explored with candor. Serving on a panel Wednesday night were Ned Bergert, former Angels head trainer, Neal ElAttrache, the Dodgers' team physician and Dr. Kevin Wilk of Champions Sports. Their panel was moderated by Will Carroll of SI.com.

Focus near the end of their discussion turned to platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP). In this treatment, a small amount of blood is drawn from the patient and spun in a centrifuge. Then the platelets are injected into an injured area to stimulate tissue repair. PRP is legal in Major League Baseball and the NBA.

ElAttrache was curious about the audience's view on PRP and performance-enhancing drugs.

"That's something I do need to be concerned about because I take care of people of all ages and what kind of effect is that going to have, socially, on the young athletes that we take care of," he said.

"Because, believe me, I see high school kids and junior high school kids that are dabbling in steroids and HGH [human growth hormone]. It's amazing what happens. And their parents know it. Including girls, by the way, especially girls.

"Girls' soccer is rife with anabolic steroid use. It's amazing.

"But I would turn that back to you guys. Does it decrease your appreciation for an athletic performance or appreciation for watching a baseball game or baseball season if you knew that your favorite player or star hitter was performance enhanced by HGH or steroids?"

He asked for a show of hands in the room. It looked as though just about every hand was raised. "There's your answer," ElAttrache said.

lisa.dillman@latimes.com

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/17/11 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that recap Linda. I'll make sure to share it. Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 7/25/11 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most everyone knows, we were in Baja for most of the last 2 weeks with Danny's mom who hasn't been doing well lately. She's much better now, though. We had a good time and his cousin had her quinceanera while we were there. I took a week and a half off work which means I will work a lot in August, then of course we're going north in September which we've already posted about. I know I had posted earlier in the year that I hoped to get to this convention, but now it looks like none of us did. Sad I was hoping to get to read stories from someone else representing Diamonds, about how it went. I plan to follow up a bit more because I know a few others have blogged about it. The news articles here at least give some details what went on, so thanks for posting.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/13/11 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny, if you didn't see it yet, SABR's website has a great recap of the convention up, but in particular the historic ballpark site tour sounded amazing! I do so wish I could have gone! SABR LA did conduct something like this in 2007 and it appears this tour for the national convention was a recap--but I really don't want to wait another four years for the opportunity to come up again. Sad

By the way, I hope you're working hard to make up for all the time you've been taking off. Laughing Laughing Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 1/18/12 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/14/11 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that would have been worthwhile. Wrigley Field has so much film history behind it and it's too bad you can't just see it now all this time later.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/16/11 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am. I am still planning the trip in September we posted about earlier and am putting in a lot of hours this month. Thanks DB & Cathy for the PMs and asking about Danny's mom. She's much better. She is excited about Mexicali too. Smile The tour does sound awesome too. I knew someone who took it the time before that you mentioned.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/18/11 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks DB & Cathy for the PMs and asking about Danny's mom. She's much better. She is excited about Mexicali too!

Good to hear! Smile

Cathy, I agree about Wrigley, and I am still envious of Harpo.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/11 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, Sunny.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 1/18/12 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading back on this thread from last year...I am still envious of Harpo, and still wish I'd been able to take that tour last summer.

With all the baseball movies that have been filmed at Wrigley Field, it would have been fun to get to that site.

Sunnyblue, perusing the posts here also reminded me of something I know you'll be posting about soon.

I wanted to give this a "bump" for SABR Day 2012, which is scheduled for January 28. SABR/LA has confirmed a program, but I'm still waiting to hear about SABR/SD. Not that it matters as much as last year, since once again I'll be unable to be in two places at the same time! The Strasburg 5K and benefit for Aztecs baseball will take place the same day. Perhaps there would be so many members participating in that event, that SABR/SD isn't scheduling anything. That's just speculation--I haven't heard.

By the way, I'm about ready to begin posting some exciting updates in a new thread as we move on in to some mid-winter thrills! I've been perusing a lot of information around the web lately.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 1/18/12 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that looks like 2 years in a row now I'll have to miss it. Sad If they do have it that is.

You are right they don't think of scheduling around us! Lol

Quote:
By the way, I'm about ready to begin posting some exciting updates in a new thread as we move on in to some mid-winter thrills! I've been perusing a lot of information around the web lately.

I will wait for that and look forward to it.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 1/18/12 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will too.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 1/18/12 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for me Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 1/20/12 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things, 1) wondering why we haven't heard from the posters in other areas about SABR events there?

2) Getting back to the comments about movies. My favorite movies filmed at Wrigley were Pride of the Yankees, Pride of St. Louis, and the Kid from Left Field. It seems ironic that Angels in the Outfield was not filmed there! Exclamation
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 1/20/12 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - something to check out here in the Midwest Sunnyblue. Stlred probably knows more about this than I do. I thought the SABR was a west coast organization because I've only heard it mentioned by you all and Emma.

My favorite movie filmed at Wrigley Field is also Pride of the Yankees. Speaking of Wrigley Field, I wonder if there will ever be a movie made about Ron Santo? His story would be inspirational. Still kind of bummed Gil didn't get in the Hall before him though Sad Nothing personal against Ron.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/20/12 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems ironic that Angels in the Outfield was not filmed there!

It does seem quite ironic! Question

GilHodgesFan,

Quote:
I thought the SABR was a west coast organization because I've only heard it mentioned by you all and Emma.

Did you even read the article I posted? If you had, since it is above, in this thread, you would have read, "SABR held its first meeting when 16 individuals got together at the Hall of Fame library in Cooperstown, N.Y., in 1971. They put together a mission statement, elected officers, and among other things wondered how many other baseball devotees wanted to join.

...Headquarters for the organization this year moved to Phoenix from Cleveland."

I also posted:

Quote:
January 29 was designated SABR Day 2011 around the country, and was celebrated in many different ways by the various regional chapters of SABR.

Confused

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 1/20/12 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read the article but I obviously didn't retain alot of it. Do you see what I mean that I don't understand what is going on with me? I read things but don't retain as much as I use to, I am forgetful and sort of absent-minded. I thought it was stress from losing mom, trying to sell her house, and feeling run-down more than usual but I don't seem to be getting any better. I don't have problems on the job but more often I have to write notes to remind myself to do things, etc. Sad

I do remember the SABR being in Phoenix as the article said but I don't remember the part about moving to Cleveland or that there are chapters. I don't hear anything about the SABR here but surely there is a regional chapter in the Midwest. I thought maybe Stlred would know more about this than I obviously do Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 1/21/12 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have problems on the job but more often I have to write notes to remind myself to do things, etc.

Don't worry about that, as I'm always doing that myself! Some on this board can attest to the fact that I've resorted to writing notes on my hand when no paper was handy, just to remind myself of something I wanted to post when I got home! LOL

Quote:
I thought the SABR was a west coast organization because I've only heard it mentioned by you all and Emma.

That puzzled me since I knew you were aware of how big the national convention was--which would make it pretty hard to have one if it was only a West Coast organization. I do feel bad that you say you don't understand what's happening to you. I'm glad it's not affecting your work, too.

Quote:
I thought maybe Stlred would know more about this than I obviously do

I hope so. She had mentioned on this board a few years ago she was interested in the St. Louis chapter so by now she probably has a lot more knowledge.

As for Iowa, I checked on the link I had posted above, as it lists all the chapters. It appears there's only one in Iowa and that's in Des Moines. However, that's a lot better than the many states in which there aren't any chapters listed. I'll bet there's someone in that Iowa chapter who knows a bit about Gil Hodges. Just a hunch, but with all these older members they talk about, I'm guessing there is. And who knows, perhaps even someone who saw him play live. Smile

I've heard there is another classic ballpark trip being organized for this year for those who missed it then, and part of it will focus on the Wrigley film history. I'd be very interested in that. Not sure if it's SABR or Baseball Reliquary that's behind planning it.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 1/22/12 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to check out the Iowa chapter. I could have found that out if I'd done some research myself but you are too dependable DB Smile You go above and beyond the call of duty on this site Smile Thank you for everything you do Smile

It would be interesting to know if anyone in the Chapter ever saw Gil play or knows about him from his playing days. I would suspect a lot of them are Cubs fans so perhaps Gil's name is not a good one to mention since the Mets wiped the floor with the Cubs in 1969 Laughing I could be assuming wrong though. Not everyone in Iowa is a Cubs fan of coure. I have seen a few Los Angeles Dodgers license plate holders, and Twins, Brewers and Cardinals also. I don't believe I've seen anything for the Royals.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 1/25/12 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you may not know, I have cousins who lived in Iowa (near Ames), who now live out here, and they are Cardinals fans. I think from what I know, there are Twins, Cubs and Cardinals fans there throughout the state. Been quite a long time since I was in Iowa though.

Speaking of Cardinals fans. I wonder whatever happened to stlred about the St. Louis chapter of SABR?
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 1/25/12 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool Sunnyblue Smile If I was going to go for a team in here in the Midwest it would be the Cardinals or Brewers. I also like the Twins but probably couldn't become a Cubs fan again. When I went to Wrigley Field last year it just didn't have the same feeling it did for me as back in the 1970's. It was kind of disappointing. Sort of like the old saying you can't go home again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: