Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assorted memorabilia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 7:15 am    Post subject: Assorted memorabilia Reply with quote

Saw some interesting baseball historical displays and memorabilia lately and hadn't gotten around to posting about it until now.

I had considered adding these comments in the "Collections" thread, but the truth is, the items aren't really part of any individual's collection. I merely happened to attend a few events in which baseball memorabilia or something related to baseball was featured.

I know several of us have been to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. That in and of itself deserves its own thread--to be started someday; I had hoped Idnas would do that when she returned from her trip and our new board got up and running. I'm sure some of you have attended the traveling show "Baseball as America", which includes some historic items from the Hall of Fame and visits various cities around the U.S. (currently in Oakland, CA). I know Idnas, Harpo and I have all attended this in past years, and that it was on display in St. Louis this year. For me, I saw it in Los Angeles in 2002.

But here's just a little bit of what I've seen lately.

First, I recently went to the L.A. County Fair in Pomona, CA (hometown of Mark McGwire Smile ) because I'd heard there was a special sports-related show being featured there. "Sportsfest" included many interactive exhibits as well as some memorabilia on display (not for sale), and some items that were available for purchase.

Most of the showcased memorabilia and educational presentations were in some way related to SoCal teams or individual players from here. There was also a great display about the history of the PCL (Pacific Coast League) baseball, which saw its heyday in the 1940s and '50s and which gave us the original Angels and the Hollywood Stars, who moved to San Diego and became the minor league Padres. There were other exhibits detailing the history of Latinos in baseball, Little League baseball in SoCal, the rich contributions this region has made to providing so many players all around the major leagues, and of course the women's leagues and Negro Leagues (linked to Jackie Robinson's SoCal heritage and roots, during which he made his name at UCLA).

And most definitely there was a large Dodgers and Angels presence.

One room in the fairgrounds building was transformed into a faux brick stadium surrounding everything, housing all the memorabilia and exhibits mentioned above, along with a featured display including clips from many classic baseball films that were shot at Wrigley Field, accompanied by a lot of historical facts and background about them (cinematic as well as baseball). This was great for a movie buff like me. I knew "Pride of the Yankees" was filmed there but there were quite a few others, too.

Among items that were for sale were thousands of cards and photos of players from many eras. I saw some rare collector's items such as a large B&W enlargement of Ted Williams during his Korean War service (in a uniform of another kind); an Angels pennant from an earlier time (featuring a caricature of a baseball player with a halo over his head, kneeling as if praying--maybe that's what the Angels should be doing now); and many pictures of Gene Autry, the "Singing Cowboy", their owner, with the Angels in their early major league days.

Oh, and there was an authentic game-used base which was signed on all four corners by the Dodgers’ infield of the ‘70s/early ‘80s (and as you’ve read by me on this board before, the longest-running infield in major league history). Of course I salivated over that one. I can't even remember what they were asking for that, but it was way out of my range.

Now, there's a Home and Garden show in Anaheim this weekend (coinciding with the Angels-White Sox games?) that advertises a sports collectibles "show within the show" featuring "Build Your Own Memorabilia Room." (I'm ready...where are my hammer and nails?!)

Moving on, though, another few collectibles are in a fundraising auction I’m involved with organizing (I believe the poster known as TrevorTime is going to be present for this same auction). When I was separating the donations for the event, I noticed that a fellow acquaintance of ours had given many sports-related items that he had obtained from a friend of his who works in sports collectibles. Some were NFL-related, and one of the few things that didn’t have a west coast connection was an autographed Patriots Super Bowl football from the first year they won it. (Thought I’d mention that for you Sox fans. Smile ) There were also footballs from Denver and Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl victories that took place here in S.D.

But, the baseball items included bobbleheads from, of all teams, the Giants. I’m not sure what’s up with that, but there were Barry Bonds, J.T. Snow, and a few others from their World Series year of ’02. There were several Padre-related items, too--mostly baseballs.

Also, I recently went to a street fair that included one booth with many sports collectibles, including a lot of old Yankees and Red Sox memorabilia.
The man who was tending the booth said, “I am surprised at all the Red Sox items people are buying here. Did you know there are so many Sox fans in town? (I felt like asking him, "this is news to you?" Anyway, I was very thankful that even though I was wearing my old school Dodgers cap, he didn’t ask me if I was one.) Smile Smile He said he’d had so many people stop by the booth, pick up his card, and call him later to order more of the items they’d already purchased. For example, there were many old school photos (some 12” x 16”) of vintage baseball, teams, old ballparks, etc. He told me, “I thought the 2004 world champion photo was a big seller, but I can’t keep that 1916 Red Sox championship in stock!” He added, “Babe Ruth was pitching for them then.” I said, “Well, they beat the Dodgers that year, four games to one." His eyes got big and he said, “Well, I didn’t know that!” He then turned to his partner and said, “Did you know who it was they beat in 1916? It was the Dodgers!” The other guy looked clueless too. I added, "That was the first year the Dodgers ever went to the World Series." Then I just laughed to myself at their reaction. (Note, technically they were the Brooklyn Robins at that time, but if he didn’t even know Boston's opponent, I figured he wasn’t going to correct me on what the team name was back then.) :

So, I just thought I'd share all that. If any of you see any interesting displays or memorabilia exhibits (baseball-related) in your area, please feel free to post here.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic Linda! I have been to the Hall of Fame twice. I love it there. The exhibits are amazing and just being in the center of all that baseball history is very exciting. I love the wax muesem and the baseball uniforms displayed in the locker room setting. I also enjoyed the movie they show on the history of baseball. If you haven't been there, you have to go. The shopping is amazing if you enjoy any kind of baseball related items. I went crazy looking for a particular print and one man who was located by Double Day field helped me. He had a great publication store and he tried to help. I did find the print on ebay last year and I'm glad I finally found it. But the experience is well worth the trip. My son wants to go again, so we just may do it soon.

I guess the best show I have been to was 1999 in Philadelphia. The national card show. I love cards and although I only collect one player, who is not one of the elite of the game, I was very excited to see all the exhibits, memorabilia and shopping the event offered. There were a few athletes who had signing stations but we arrived on Sunday afternoon and many of those were closed for the event. I bought some cards ofcourse Wink for my niece and myself and I think for a friend as well. It was anice way of gettin in on the new 1999 cards we needed as well as older cards of players we collect.

We have shows in our local mall from time to time but nothing like that national show. My son was small and he begged my husband to buy him a Scott Rolen autographed ball in a gold glove with display case, he bought it for him and it set us back about $80.00...............but he still has it.
JTT

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go to the Hall of Fame. I think thats so cool that you are so knowledgable about your (obviously) beloved team and you freaked that guy out with your knowledge! Excellent.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I only collect one player, who is not one of the elite of the game

Oh, I forgot to mention, of course they had cards of "that player" at the L.A. County Fair. Smile Even though he's not an "elite" he was listed as you could read about the many players that came out of the area to play in the majors. Smile I should have said that before, as I thought of you then.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Quote:
I only collect one player, who is not one of the elite of the game

Oh, I forgot to mention, of course they had cards of "that player" at the L.A. County Fair. Smile Even though he's not an "elite" he was listed as you could read about the many players that came out of the area to play in the majors. Smile I should have said that before, as I thought of you then.

Very Happy and I bet I have every card Wink Nice to know he's still remembered though Very Happy
JTT

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats so cool Francine - do you really have almost every card? I've been thinking of doing that - I have about 20. I just bought 5 on ebay for .99. LOL how many years does your player span?
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have every card including minor leagues and inserts, parrells etc.

Mark played from 1981-1999 so I have tons,literally tons of great cards. I'd have to guess about 150 different cards not counting the inserts and specials. The earliest is a 1982 AA card. I also have one autographed card for each of the six teams he's played for Very Happy I also have a "sticker" from when he played winter ball in Venezuela, he was on the Tigers Wink .

It's a fun hobby and I'm always looking for one I may not have
JTT

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup; well - I just went and counted and I actually have 33 plus the 5 I just bought. I have a 1994 Wilmington Blue Rocks A card. Probably the vast majority of them aren't even Red Sox cards. I think I have a lot of collecting to do. Is there somewhere where you can see all of the cards that have been issued?

I still kick myself for not picking up the Beckett's guide around last Christmas with him on the cover and a discussion of his cards. Mad
Francine

PostPosted: Sun 10/16/05 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becketts is the best place to start. I did alot of my collecting on ebay. Becketts has a great site too for buying single cards. I started a JD set and some Andy Pettitte and Carlos Silva but it takes time and money....lol so I do what I can picking up cards when I can here and there.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/17/05 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to mention this.

When I was at the L.A. Fair, there was also a collector's miniature model car on display, a blue 1965 Mustang, that was issued to commemorate the Dodgers winning the World Series. Mustang was a new car model then--1965 was the first year they rolled off the assembly line. The special edition of this sporty little car at the exhibit had a banner on the side that read "DODGERS 1965 WORLD CHAMPIONS."

What I would give to own that and display it in my collection at the fair...
Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/29/05 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once again I am catching up on news that is several days old, so I felt it should be noted in a thread about assorted collections that one of the great all-time baseball collectors passed away last week (specifically, on my birthday). Sad

Barry Halper, age 66, passed away in Livingston, N.J. from complications of diabetes. He was the owner of one of the most extensive collections of baseball memorabilia and a limited partner in the New York Yankees.

According to Associated Press, "A portion of his Halper's collection was acquired by Major League Baseball and donated to the Hall of Fame in 1998. Halper also fetched $21.8 million -- a record for sports memorabilia -- during a weeklong auction at Sotheby's in 1999. Included in that sale was a game-used Mickey Mantle glove, purchased by actor-comedian Billy Crystal for $239,000.

'Barry was a dear friend, a valued partner for many years and a decent, genuine person,' Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement. 'What a great baseball fan he was. I'll miss him dearly.'

Halper amassed some 80,000 items, including uniforms of many Hall of Famers, an original ticket from the first World Series in 1903 and the jersey Lou Gehrig wore in his farewell speech at Yankee Stadium in 1939. Halper also owned oddities such as the false teeth worn by Ty Cobb, baseball's career batting average leader.

The New York Daily News reported that during a news conference in Dallas in 1995 to announce Mantle's successful liver transplant, the Hall of Famer spotted Halper in the audience and joked, 'Hey, Barry, did you get my other liver?'

Also in Halper's collection were uniforms worn by Cobb, Walter Johnson, Cy Young and Mantle, during his rookie season in 1951. Halper also had the contract finalizing the sale of Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox to the Yankees, and a Honus Wagner baseball card.

'The Baseball Hall of Fame has lost a true friend in Barry Halper,' said Dale Petroskey, president of the hall. 'Anyone who met Barry for the first time realized that his passion for the game was what set him apart.' "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can read more about Halper's collection here. What interesting items!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 5/22/06 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some collectors (ones with a lot of disposable cash) got a few choice items this weekend. From the Associated Press:

"Joltin' Joe's 1951 Series Jersey Sold at Auction"

May 21, 2006

NEW YORK — A uniform worn by Joe DiMaggio in his final World Series sold for $195,500 Saturday at an auction of memorabilia from the Hall of Famer's storied career.

The pinstriped flannel home uniform, with the Yankee Clipper's familiar No. 5 on the back, was captured by an anonymous bidder. DiMaggio wore the jersey during the 1951 World Series, where the Yankees defeated the New York Giants.

According to Hunt Auctions Inc., the matching trousers — though worn during the 1951 season — could not be verified as used during the World Series. DiMaggio retired after the team won the championship, turning his spot in center field over to Mickey Mantle.

Also fetching top prices Saturday were items related to DiMaggio's onetime wife, actress Marilyn Monroe. The couple married in January 1954, but split after nine months. Monroe's 1954 U.S. passport sold for $115,000. A photo of her that she autographed with the words "I love you Joe, Marilyn" sold for $80,500. And an autographed handwritten letter sent to DiMaggio and dated March 1, 1954, sold for $51,750.

A pair of watches awarded to DiMaggio after his first two Most Valuable Player seasons sold for $92,000 (1939) and $86,250 (1941). The latter came in the year that DiMaggio achieved one of baseball's most enduring marks, his 56-game hitting streak.

"Presented to Joseph Paul DiMaggio, Jr. Outfielder of the New York Yankees by The Sporting News For Being Named Most Valuable Player in American League for 1941," reads its inscription.

On Friday, the first day of the two-day auction, DiMaggio's 1947 Most Valuable Player award was sold for $281,750 to New York collector Pete Siegel, who purchased the Monroe passport Saturday, auction officials said.

In all, more than 1,000 DiMaggio items went on the auction block.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/4/06 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was an interesting article in the L.A. Times and a good reason to bump this thread up:

"Lost Mitt Safe at Home"

Jeff Reynolds is a hit with his big brother after finding his sibling's baseball glove at a swap meet — four decades after it disappeared.

By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer

June 30, 2006

Nice catch by his brother, Patrick Reynolds admits.

Forty-two years after his boyhood baseball glove disappeared, his brother discovered it hidden in a barrel of used sports equipment at a Torrance flea market.

Reynolds' name, printed with a felt-tipped laundry marker on the left-hander's mitt, was still legible. So was his family's pre-area code phone number: "FRontier 18709."

Reynolds, 57, a Lomita resident who is a senior Los Angeles County parks landscape architect and UCLA extension instructor, was stunned when his brother bought it for $5 last week and returned it to him.

"He thought maybe I'd had the glove all these years," Jeff Reynolds, a 47- year-old telephone service technician, said laughing.

The Rawlings "Trap-Eze" outfielder's glove was still in good shape. Patrick Reynolds had used it in 1961 and '62 while playing Little League and Pony League baseball. He switched to first base — and to an infielder's mitt — when he began playing freshman ball at Torrance's North High School.

"It was a great, Don Demeter autographed glove," named for the Dodgers' center fielder who accompanied the team from Brooklyn, Reynolds said. "I worked on my dad's catering truck to save money to buy it. At the time it was very expensive. It cost $14, and I bought it at the May Co."

Reynolds' father, Jim, was a championship Fremont High School baseball player before being drafted by the old St. Louis Browns. But before he could join the majors he was drafted by the military for World War II. Afterward, he played recreational ball and mentored young players until about age 65.

"He was always collecting old gloves and relacing them and giving them to kids who needed them. I figure he found mine at home and donated it to somebody to use," Reynolds said. "Dad lived and breathed baseball."

When his father died last October at 80, his memorial service was held at Alta Vista Park in Redondo Beach, where he had coached baseball. Friends sang "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" in his honor.

The swap meet, at the Alpine Village, is close to where the brothers grew up. They speculate the glove remained in the neighborhood this whole time.

Reynolds will display his old glove on a shelf. "All my grandkids are right-handed, so they can't use it," he shrugged.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 7/19/06 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

The questionnaires that I was telling you about...the ones that Brock sold were Larry Doby (I was right about that one) and Don Drysdale (I forgot he had that one). So, he does still have the Duke Snider one, and he also has one from Maury Wills. Some others he has are Harvey Kuenn, Leon Wagner, and Luis Tiant. I took photos of the ones from Snider and Wills:

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/20/06 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Amy! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/31/06 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "lost glove" article, from the L.A. Times:

"Lost Glove Was a Link to History"

A mitt given to the author as a child might have belonged to major league trailblazer Larry Doby

By Frank O. Sotomayor, Special to The Times
July 12, 2006

Who knew, in the pre-EBay world, that you didn't throw away a tattered baseball mitt, even one that looked a little odd with its three-finger design?

Clearly my parents didn't — not that I blame them. They stuffed the glove in the trash or gave it to Goodwill as they prepared to move to a larger house and leave their Tucson barrio home, which Dad had lovingly constructed one adobe brick at a time.

Memories of that three-digit glove filtered back last month when I read a Times story about a mitt that had been found in a Torrance flea market by the original owner's brother — 42 years after it had disappeared. Maybe there is hope, I thought, that I could be reunited with that black leather glove that my Dad brought home from work one day in the early 1950s.

Like many Mexican Americans of his era, Dad worked as a laborer; he was a gardener at the elegant El Conquistador Hotel. One evening, Dad came home in his 1938 Ford truck and proudly handed me a baseball glove. For me, a boy about to begin Little League, it was a miracle. It meant I wouldn't have to use that hand-me-down mitt that resembled a chubby pancake. Yep, the timing was perfect, but I stared with curiosity for a few seconds at the glove's unusual design: a space for the thumb, wide webbing and only two fingers.

"Here," said my father, Florencio. "One of the Cleveland Indians gave this to me, a black player."

I knew the Indians stayed at El Conquistador during spring training in Tucson and paid no attention to the comment about the donor's race. I slipped my hand into the glove, placing two digits in each of the two fat finger spaces, and ran off to a neighborhood baseball game.

Back in the day, before television, baseball was the favorite pastime for the Barrio Hollywood boys of summer. As the sun was setting, we'd assemble to play in the middle of Erie Street, using rocks for bases.
Sliding on pavement would have been painful, but I guess that was a benefit of living on a dirt street.

A friend from a few blocks away, shortstop Eddie Leon, became an All- American at Arizona and made it to the major leagues, playing for the Indians, Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees. But for most of us, our baseball days were rather ordinary. I'm not sure whether to call my fourth-grade heroics a highlight or lowlight. Using my major league glove and playing outfield for Davis Elementary, I threw myself over a recently pruned oleander bush and stretched my left arm and gloved hand. The ball, like magic, landed in the mitt's incredibly deep pocket. I squeezed it. Then they took me to the school nurse to attend to the nasty oleander gashes on my belly.

Like millions of Little League youngsters before and after, I oiled my glove before each season. I also repaired its aging webbing, giving not a thought to the mitt's history. Later, I bought a red Mickey Mantle glove in Nogales, Mexico, and retired the black glove to the back shed, along with other boyhood items.

It was not until the 1970s — after I had begun work in Los Angeles — that I put two and two together: Cleveland Indians, a black player, 1952.

I realized that there were only two established black players on the Cleveland team — first baseman Luke Easter and center fielder Larry Doby. Could the glove have belonged to Easter, a first baseman credited with hitting some of the longest home runs of his era? Perhaps. But because my glove was a fielder's mitt I believe it belonged to Doby, who became the first black player in the American League in 1947, only 11 weeks after Jackie Robinson had broken baseball's shameful color barrier.

My research about Doby, who had to contend with racial taunts and death threats in addition to opposing pitchers, made me more eager to get back the glove. I called Mom. "Sorry," she said, "it's gone."

How could I have left that mitt lying around? Years later, I became more chagrined when Doby was enshrined in the baseball Hall of Fame. I wanted to write to Doby to see if he remembered handing that three-fingered glove to a gardener at his Tucson hotel. But I never contacted Doby and, in 2003, he passed away.

Easter is also dead, and my Dad died 25 years ago. The El Conquistador Hotel isn't around anymore, either. It was razed to make way for a shopping mall. But my boyhood memories live on.

I can't prove it, but circumstantial evidence tells me that it was indeed Doby's glove that I inherited … and then let slip away.

Most likely, the glove sits decaying in an old trash landfill. But maybe, just maybe, that three-finger glove was rescued by someone and it's still around. If so, please don't put it up for bid on EBay.

Give me another shot at my miracle glove.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sotomayor, a former Times editor, is a senior fellow at the USC Annenberg Institute for Justice and Journalism.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/13/12 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to dig for this one because I knew there was a thread about it somewhere. Is it possible it hasn't been posted in for six years? Wow. I missed mentioning a few other interesting news items during that time.

But the past couple of weeks have featured some interesting news items about elite memorabilia.

The first, of course, is the find of rare baseball cards in mint condition in an attic, a story that has been getting a lot of press over the last few days. What a gold mine!

And the second one, something I heard while waiting for my flight in the airport a couple of weeks ago, is...

San Diego's loss, some collector's gain!

Our own Don Larsen has recently announced he will auction off the jersey worn during his perfect game against the Dodgers during the 1956 World Series, to help pay for his grandchildren's college education.

Though he is far from the greatest player to come out of this town, Larsen has long been a local legend.

The above-linked article from Sports Illustrated notes:

Quote:
Steiner Sports Memorabilia will conduct the auction beginning Oct. 8, the 56th anniversary of Larsen's masterful pitching performance against the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1956 World Series. Baseball enthusiasts worldwide will have the opportunity to place bids online or via phone for 56 days afterward.

The off-white uniform with faded Yankee pinstripes is in excellent condition, Larsen said.

When asked how much he'd like to get for the uniform -- which includes both the jersey and pants -- Larsen, 82, didn't miss a beat.

"A million," he said. "Why go cheap?"

Larsen's expectations aren't out of line, either. In May, a jersey worn by Babe Ruth sold for more than $4.4 million.

...Larsen, who excelled in baseball and basketball while attending San Diego's Point Loma High School, originally loaned the uniform to the San Diego Hall of Champions when he was inducted in 1964.

His perfect game, of course, was the only one thrown in World Series history.

Considering one of his grandchildren hopes to attend USC, the money Larsen fetches may just cover tuition. LOL

So, it will not be there for viewing in the HOC if GilHodgesFan ends up visiting it next week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 7/13/12 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 7/14/12 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that Gil Hodges fan? Question If you tried to post something it did not go through.

I was sorry to see this go but I understand why he would want to auction it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 7/27/12 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what GilHodgesFan was trying to post.

Meanwhile, since she didn't respond, the thread was dropping but I'm bumping it again to post about the 1912 World Series trophy to be auctioned on the occasion of the centennial anniversary of the Red Sox winning.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Red Sox fan Robert Fraser, a Westwood, N.J., real estate broker, told the AP that he and his wife bought the item for $74,000 in 2007. Now it will be sold again, 100 years after Boston won it in Fenway Park's first season. This time, it's expected to bring in more than $300,000, according to Dallas-based Heritage Auctions.

Nice investment, Mr. Fraser!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/15/12 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to add them to the Collections thread.

I do like the pictures. Did you get to see the Ebbets replica at Dodger Stadium?
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 8/15/12 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I had planned to do but I couldn't find the thread.

I don't remember the Ebbets Field replica. I did try to take a picture of anything related to the Brooklyn days on display at the stadium but I do regret that we didn't go to other levels after the tour to see other things. I have thought about coming out again by myself to re-do some things and see some things I missed. I will be ready for another vacation in a year or two. Whether anyone wants to see me after the mess of things I made this last trip remains to be seen.

There is a lovely large photo of Ebbets Field on display at the stadium. I would like to find a smaller version for my collection.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/15/12 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the stuff they have on view out of the special collection on loan was only for the 50th anniversary season but I guess you would have to ask Linda. I did not see it, I only went to one Padre game at Dodger Stadium this year and I still plan to again if I can be anywhere near L.A. the next time they are there.

As for finding the thread, did you check the list? I know Linda listed it for easy reference so she could find it whenever she had her collection at the fair. Lol
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 8/15/12 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search for the topic "Collections" and didn't pull anything specific up for it.

I won't be posting any other pictures of my collection as I probably won't add much to it unless I can find a 1969 Mets-Orioles World Series booklet. Unless of course Gil makes it into the Hall. I will need something to commemorate that! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/16/12 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilHodgesFan--are you reading what she posted?

Quote:
As for finding the thread, did you check the list? I know Linda listed it for easy reference

It is listed alphabetically under "Collections." That is the reason I spent a lot of time composing that list, so people wouldn't have to go searching all the time!

??? Not sure what the problem is. I will be happy to move them myself, when I have time, just to save you some time.

Quote:
I thought the stuff they have on view out of the special collection on loan was only for the 50th anniversary season but I guess you would have to ask Linda.

That's correct.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 8/17/12 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get them moved to the Collections thread this weekend. Thank you for the offer though Smile
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 8/17/12 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still looking for the Collections thread. All I know how to do is "Search" for it. How do I get the threads to come up alphabetically? And if I can't find it, is it okay if I leave the photos here? I won't be posting any others to this particular topic.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/18/12 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...if you do a search for it it comes up in the first few returns. But, I was talking about the frequently posted threads list. Are you sure you don't want me to move them for you? I have to post in that thread eventually, anyway.

I am sure you will have plenty of Gil Hodges memorabilia to add as years go by.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 8/18/12 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very, very nice of you to offer Smile I really hate to make you do my work when you have so much going on there though. I will try later this evening or tomorrow to find the thread again. If I get desperate I will yell for help.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/25/12 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over a week, so I did it myself.

I agree, Cathy, the Ebbets Field replica is awesome. It was all hand-made and with every bit of attention to even the tiniest detail. I think seeing it up close I appreciated the intricate work that went into it more than the photos of the real place.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: