Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the post of 11/3/12 but why do I remember a picture? It seems like it was a photo of him standing smiling with a table in the background with maybe a white table cloth on it. So why I do I remember something like this (if it even existed at all??) yet forget other things??
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that! I was getting puzzled, myself. I remember it now because it was taken after a big event at our church. I did post it--on Facebook.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 3/23/12 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification DB Smile At least there is proof I actually did see it and it wasn't my imagination!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/31/12 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Into the stretch run of Lent now...

I really hate when everyone gets a holiday and I don't but that's the nature of working in a church at this time of year. Most of my friends got a three-day weekend and I was so busy, busy, busy on Friday, getting ready for Holy Week programs and our Sunday services. the more I get done this week (and weekend), the more I can enjoy baseball next week!

And I reiterate...it's no coincidence that Opening Day falls during Holy Week on the calendar.

Last Sunday's memorial service was so emotional and the church was filled to the brim with Beth's friends, coworkers and family.

Quote:
And it must be even so much harder on her son with his PTSD to deal with.

He left early in the reception--I don't think he could deal with it. Sad. Sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 3/31/12 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the Paddle-Out go? I hope it was a nice sunny day for it. I am glad to hear that the church was packed for your friend Beth. It means alot to have so many people there to pay their respects, be there for the family, and lovingly remember the person who has passed.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/31/12 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sorry you were unable to get the holiday off. Sad We made great use of it and I wish you could have come.

We are also looking forward to the Crew Classic - sorry it will be without you too.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/31/12 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was sorry you were unable to get the holiday off. Sad We made great use of it and I wish you could have come.

We are also looking forward to the Crew Classic - sorry it will be without you too.

I know; it's too bad--I missed you guys, I missed seeing my Dodgers, and I hate to miss the Crew Classic, too. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some free time.

It's too bad because I remember exactly what I was doing one year ago yesterday, on the holiday. Idea And what a beautiful memory! Very Happy

I will be back to respond to other posts later tonight. I have a lot to say; I did a little more research when I was home last night and haven't posted everything yet.

The paddle-out was great, and yes, it was a beautiful day, but that took place before the memorial service at church. I know that sometime this week, Beth's ashes were to be scattered at sea. I haven't found out if that happened yet. I know her daughter felt it would bring closure.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 4/2/12 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a beautiful way to remember someone, particularly if they loved the ocean. I can imagine my sister-in-law wanting something like that at Lake Michigan.

I would like to go back to the woods that was in my family for generations. My daughter doesn't like the idea of cremation but Steve and I have decided on that for both of us.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/12 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really have a decent paddle-out full ceremony on a lake, though...so I'm glad I will be staying put here!

On Sunday, we had an Elders ordination at church and one of the (previously ordained) elders showed up wearing his Padres jacket. I told him that such a special occasion deserved better than minor league attire. Sorry, Cathy. Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/12 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo to that comment. Evil or Very Mad I could just see it though. Lol

The purpose of a paddle out is to send the spirit and peace out and around the world through the ocean. A beautiful ceremony if I say so myself not just visually but from what you get out of it. It is very spiritual. I have often thought of my dad and I know Sunnyblue said she did too, with them both in all the ports they sailed to in the Navy. I bet you think of your grandma's spirit going around the world too, Linda.

Quote:
I know; it's too bad--I missed you guys, I missed seeing my Dodgers, and I hate to miss the Crew Classic, too. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some free time.

It's too bad because I remember exactly what I was doing one year ago yesterday, on the holiday.

And even I do remember that too. You were having a great time that day. I was glad you got to take it off. You will have to think of Opening Day at Dodger Stadium as a floating holiday of sorts to make up for not getting the real holiday off last week.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/12 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And even I do remember that too. You were having a great time that day.

Glad I'm not the only one who remembered. Smile

Quote:
I bet you think of your grandma's spirit going around the world too, Linda.

She has visited a lot of places she enjoyed, but she remains in Ocean Beach. Wink

Love the idea of sailing to all the ports.

One other wonderful thing about being scattered to the ocean is--you are eternally in blue. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/6/12 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who remembered.

And I am not even a Dodger fan but still remembered that significance. Very Happy

OK now I have to tell you something I forgot to post and was going to say something about, when I came back from Arizona last week.

Nick's friend cornered Steve Yeager and while he was bantering with fans, signing autographs, one around your age was talking to him about road trips back in the 1970s and so forth. Brian (Nick's buddy) told a little bit of that story from your teen years you shared, and it cracked a bit of a smile on Yeager!

Thought the Dodger fans here would like hearing that. Laughing
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 4/7/12 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoying hearing that Smile

Another great analogy of the eternal blue. I wonder if one of my grandmas is visiting our farm and walking back to High Rock? Generations of my family enjoyed walking back to that rock in our woods that was across from the Cedar River and enjoying picnic lunches.

We had to replace some bedroom carpeting in my mom's house because the realtor thought it would be better to have all the bedroom carpets a neutral color. Mom had replaced all the bedroom carpets but choose blue, almost Dodger blue!!, for one of the bedrooms. We are spending so much money trying to satisfy any potential buyer and will probably satisfy no one! I think all the neutral carpeting is boring. The blue bedroom was a nice splash of color I thought Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/9/12 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick little note here: I received a text early last week from a Padre fan friend whom I hadn't heard from in several months, who asked, "Are you going to Opening Day at Petco?" I replied, "Is the Pope Catholic? Of course I will be there."

GilHodgesFan,

Quote:
Mom had replaced all the bedroom carpets but choose blue, almost Dodger blue!!, for one of the bedrooms. We are spending so much money trying to satisfy any potential buyer and will probably satisfy no one! I think all the neutral carpeting is boring. The blue bedroom was a nice splash of color I thought

Should definitely raise the property value. Very Happy

Quote:
And I am not even a Dodger fan but still remembered that significance.

Aw, Cathy, that's great. It was a day of true mixed emotions for us Dodger fans.

Quote:
Brian (Nick's buddy) told a little bit of that story from your teen years you shared, and it cracked a bit of a smile on Yeager!

LOL--I hope it wasn't too painful to hear the other half of that, though. That was one of the worst things--well, make it the--worst thing I've seen happen live at a baseball game in thousands of games I've attended.

He can chalk the rest of it up to youthful exuberance.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/11/12 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL--I hope it wasn't too painful to hear the other half of that, though. That was one of the worst things--well, make it the--worst thing I've seen happen live at a baseball game in thousands of games I've attended.

No doubt. I thought his life was in danger for sure.

Quote:
He can chalk the rest of it up to youthful exuberance.

I wonder if that will get back to his uncle too. Question
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/12/12 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I wanted to say now that Lent's over, I am back to eating meat again since I gave it up for six-plus weeks.

So my first thought was...what do I do first? Hit In-n-Out or wait for my first Dodger DogŪ of the season? The DD was fabulous, but I absolutely did not wait. In-n-Out was high on my priority list!

Quote:
I wonder if that will get back to his uncle too.

LOL!

I've thought back to the comedy and tragedy of it all every time I see him. He has really been blessed. I was just talking to my friend, the retired Union-Tribune photographer, about it recently. He was at that same game--he's also met Chuck Yeager several times. And, he also remembers me well from my teen years, since he's a long-time friend of our family.

So none of that came as any surprise to him. Smile And I will post a little more on this later.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/13/12 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So my first thought was...what do I do first? Hit In-n-Out or wait for my first Dodger DogŪ of the season? The DD was fabulous, but I absolutely did not wait. In-n-Out was high on my priority list!

I bet it was! I think if I could go that long without In-n-Out, I would be the first person in line the next day when they opened.

Quote:
I've thought back to the comedy and tragedy of it all every time I see him. He has really been blessed.

You will have to work that photo into the story somehow. Wink
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 4/14/12 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sure have missed a lot in this one, too. Crying or Very sad Passings & paddle outs and In -n- out. And "new owner" ordinations. Laughing But now Yeager knows your story, DB? lol good one.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/15/12 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, can you believe it? Laughing

Anyway, so I had emailed my friend Bob from church a couple of days ago about Vin, and he said he would pray for him.

Today, Vin returns to work, but Bob had a fall at church!

Good grief--I suppose I'll have to ask Vin to pray for him now!

As one could guess, I might have gloated to my Padre fan friends today...but I chose not to Smile and walked the path of the same humility Mr. Scully demonstrated.

Our congregation did, however, suffer the loss of another long-time church member today. He was a friend of my parents, good buddy of my dad, someone whose son died last year (whom I grew up with)...and a man who used to tease me quite often about the Dodgers. And now, he's gone. Sad

So it's been quite the weekend of mixed emotions.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 4/16/12 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has really been up and down for you Linda Surprised I am so sorry to hear about another family friend passing away Sad To lose friends of your parents is like losing part of your parents. Another connection to them is gone. Plus the good-natured fun he had with you about the Dodgers was probably always a good laugh. His humor will still make you laugh because as the season progresses you will imagine what he would have joked with you about over this game or that game.

Hopefully baseball will help you through this as it has so many other things. I know I am so happy to hear Vin Scully's voice on Extra Innings. It takes me back to a more relaxed time in my life when everyone was still here with me and his voice is really very comforting because it is a voice from my past. Like someone on FB mentioned, it is like Vin is talking to everyone personally.

I am thinking of you Linda and again, I am so sorry about the loss of your family/church friend Sad
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/12 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh Linda that is really sad about losing another church member. Sad

Yes Sunnyblue, Yeager does know it thanks to our family. Wink We are wondering when Vin Scully will use it in a broadcast. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/12 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, both.

Quote:
We are wondering when Vin Scully will use it in a broadcast.

During the first series on the next homestand.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/12 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching for it Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/12 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was clear I was just kidding. You don't really think that story merits repeating to a general audience???

Will be back later to post more--just sneaking in a few here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/12 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. Should have used a laughing face. I was kidding too Laughing
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/12 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on both of you, I think at least the first half of the story is worth hearing on the broadcast. Don't you?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/23/12 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh come on both of you, I think at least the first half of the story is worth hearing on the broadcast. Don't you?

You'd better ask GilHodgesFan on that one. You already know what I think.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 4/23/12 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....who wants to ask Vin Scully? Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/23/12 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what you think. I'll get to Vin when my friend Bob asks him.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/24/12 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting. I really do have to say that it gets old waiting on some of these quick responses a lot of the time, when they are just questions with brief answers. I try to be very prompt if anyone asks me a question that does not require time or research. I realize this is just a fun- type subject but even still, it would be nice if everyone afforded the same respect. With so few of us here it should not be a problem - IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: