Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 4/25/12 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fine by me. I'm out here in Iowa Laughing Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/25/12 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what point would you stop telling it/cut it off?
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/27/12 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At what point would you stop telling it/cut it off?

I would like to see what her response is since you asked her first. Then we can compare notes.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 4/28/12 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be confused Gil Hodges fan. Confused I read your response

Quote:
It is fine by me. I'm out here in Iowa

to mean you thought it was fine to tell the story on the air.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sat 4/28/12 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking around. I meant I didn't have to hear about any repercussions way out here Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/27/12 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Well, the deed has been done. Thank you, Vinnie! Smile [link removed]

And back to the Church of Baseball. With today being Pentecost Sunday, I was asked to include in our Friday weekly e-mailing to our membership, a reminder to wear "colors of fire" this Sunday. Or as the associate minister said, "red, yellow and orange." I told her that I am most definitely not going to include obnoxious orange and would add blue, as well, since it is another "color of fire."

Of course, I wear blue every Sunday anyway so it was business as usual, but at least this time my Dodger passion represented religious fervor--of a different kind. Smile

Now let's see how the Dodgers fare today. They were "left for dead" on Easter, so perhaps they'll cause a holy commotion this afternoon. Their ascension began on Opening Day--to the top of the standings. Wire-to-wire? Perhaps. We'll see.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/30/12 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed Youtube removed it for copyright violation, so I took that link down. Congratulations Linda! I hope Gil Hodges fan did get to hear it. Maybe not your 15 minutes of fame but at least a few seconds. Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 5/31/12 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it wouldn't last long, but I know it was at least up through the weekend.

She didn't respond whether she did or not...

Confused

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 5/31/12 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed it Sad I am happy for your bit of fame though Smile You deserve much more! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/22/12 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was really disappointing to read that, GilHodgesFan, especially since I gave several days notice. Sad

I should have added that at least the Dodgers won on Pentecost Sunday...unlike on Easter.
Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 6/22/12 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's frustrating Embarassed
jpochard

PostPosted: Thu 7/5/12 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a great friendly, but fired up rivalry with our youth pastor who is from the St. Louis area. With the recent years of battle between the Reds and the Cards, we almost always have something to talk about Smile

My youngest daughter just graduated high school and is moving out of the youth, but we've known this pastor well for the entire 7 years he's been at our church, and he is like a son to me. They had one miracle baby last year (after being told they would never have children) and she is due with number two next month!

We have a great sports / recreation ministry at the church with several men's softball teams and one ladies. I've never played, but I have played for years on the volleyball team. We have many baseball fans, but not too many are ladies. We even had a women's fantasy baseball league. I participated in it (and won it) for two years, then quit. The first year wasn't too bad - with a fun in-person draft event - but then no real activity or involvement by the ladies after that. The second year they went to the online draft, and I was the only one there! Everyone else had auto-pick and then again did nothing throughout the season. It was more baseball lotto than fantasy baseball. So this year, nothing. I haven't looked much here - but is that something perhaps to look into for next season? a Fantasy league for the board?

In the fall, when we start off all our regular classes etc at church, we have a kick off called "Game Day" It's like one big pep-rally and they also have a couple of fan contests. I won last year for my Reds decorated car (which is also red, of course:)
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 7/5/12 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a Fantasy Baseball league via this forum before, but it ended up being more like you describe..."baseball lotto"... Smile but we could try it again next season. It's been three or four years since the last time.

Thanks for the stories--loved them.

Our church is known as a stopover site for many youth groups from around the country while on their way to home-building trips in Mexico; in fact, we have one youth group from Ohio that comes every year and stays overnight on our campus before leaving early to drive across in the morning. Most of these work projects take place in Tijuana, with which we share the international border. However, they usually come during the offseason.

A group from Norcal, though, was just here three Sundays back and it made me cringe to see so many people wearing Jints caps loading up their equipment and gear after the service before driving off. I had to rib them a bit but when their youth group leader found out I was a Dodger fan, he said, "We'll overtake you by next week."

Well, sure enough, they did Confused which had me avoid posting in this thread about it, but now I can exhale again after moving back into first. Smile

We also have a youth group that comes through once a year from the Atlanta area and the kids are always wearing Braves gear, very identifiable with their caps, jerseys and tomahawk logos.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/29/12 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being back in San Diego I was able to see how much the PQ neighborhood has been affected, like Linda wrote about a few days ago. As we have friends there, I was not able to talk much to them while I was out of town but I sure have while I was back in town with a day off. They are really going through a lot. Please pray for strength for them.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 7/30/12 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing that for a week, Cathy, although of course I already posted here last week how I feel so bad for everyone on both sides--it's such a shame and there are still so many unanswered questions! I answered a call for volunteers to help out with maintaining some sense of normalcy for the kids in the neighborhood. They didn't seem to be too affected by things but there is still the stigma of knowing the perpetrator.

On another subject, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for praying for my mom. After all this time, she is slowly returning to strength, but she still has some issues that she's being tested for--so still needs those prayers.

This week is our church's Rummage Sale--it's one of the biggest such held annually in the city. It's taking up a lot of my time, but I'm trying to keep everything current on the board, too. I realize I am probably failing in the latter!

Back to the Church of Baseball news:

As you all know, I've posted for several months about my grandma's 100th birthday celebration. Well, two weeks ago, my mom and I provided the flowers for our Sunday services in memory of my grandma during her birthday week. They were blue and white carnations (as ordered by me, of course). Smile I took them home after the service.

It just so happened that the Dodgers lost that day to the Padres (the game in which the Bums committed five errors). Wouldn't you know I took a lot of ribbing from the rest of the congregation for not ordering "sand and navy"!

Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 8/3/12 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I am catching up with posts I see now that what you are doing is related to the Aurora Co incident. I feel badly for everyone concerned, particularly little kids who can have such a tough time processing such information.

I will keep your mother in my prayers. I am glad she is getting stronger but I know it is still worrisome that something is wrong.

A nice touch - honoring your grandmother's birthday with blue and white carnations Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/5/12 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask you how did the Rummage Sale go? Any good baseball finds? Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/7/12 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of books, but I did see some interesting things GilHodgesFan may have liked--such as an IOWA ALUMNI sweatshirt! LOL

Also...while driving in to work yesterday, I saw a car with a (CA) license plate that read X IOWAN. Always interesting to read the messages people drive around with, as they often describe the driver's place of origin. NY2SD is another I saw this past weekend--during the Mets-Padres series, in downtown San Diego--may have been headed to Petco Park!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 8/7/12 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I love the X Iowan license plate. The NY license plate sounds cool also. It is always interesting to hear about other teams fans out there. People may relocate but they maintain their state ties through their teams it sounds like.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 12/3/12 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder, about something I've posted in Decembers past:

With the first Sunday of Advent yesterday, it was such a comforting sight at church to see the entire Sanctuary decorated in BLUE, as BLUE is the color of Advent.

Blue symbolizes hope...and this offseason has certainly given us fans hope! Very Happy

This is the final month of ministry for our baseball-loving senior minister, who retires on December 30. My memories of him over his ten years at our church, to be included in a special scrapbook that's being compiled, will definitely include his "Baseball Theology" sermon, in which I was referenced--among others, as he is a really good preacher--and of course, our many office baseball discussions throughout the year. And even before retirement, he began playing in a senior softball league several years ago. It's not enough for him just during spring and summer, though. He also plays in the winter senior softball league!

Smile

I'll be posting shortly about the loss of another great baseball fan I met through church, too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/13/12 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Vann is now officially on board as the bishop of the Orange County Diocese of the Catholic Church, effective two days ago.

Coming from Texas, he donned two bits of apparel that indicate he's now truly in OC now--Oakleys and an Angels cap.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 12/16/12 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Laughing that is cute.

The board seems pretty quiet the last few days but I imagine that is due to people being busy with holiday preparations etc. My husband and I got away to a cabin in Idyllwild and we got snow while there - so I have had my fill of cold weather with the Pacific storm. I am on the road this week to San Francisco briefly so I doubt I will feel much warmer until my Palm Springs roadie or until I get back to San Diego in between.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 12/17/12 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to Palm Springs, too, for our get-together with my uncle and his extended family, the week between Christmas and New Year.

You are right...I have intended to completely update the Hot Stove thread, as well as some others, but have barely had time to catch up with email the last week! I have had meetings, classes and holiday events of some sort every night for the last 11 nights! Also, my job has been insane. I have four services to prepare for over the next week instead of the regular two Sunday services, including one memorial service in which over 300 are expected to attend (next Saturday)! The Choir's Christmas Cantata was yesterday, which required a program that is twice the size of our regular Sunday programs. And of course this is the middle of the month, so our monthly newsletter (January issue) goes to press on Tuesday. I'm responsible for the devotion in staff meeting tomorrow, too. With the transition and a new interim senior minister coming on board in two weeks, there's just so much to do beyond even the typical Christmas-related work.

It's my intention to try and get some new posts up tonight...I sure hope so! I need some time to kick back and catch up. It would be a welcome respite, even though this is the only one month of 12 months in the year that I actually put baseball on the back burner.

Cathy, we should have some warmer weather by the end of the week. Another storm is coming through tomorrow with rain on the coast and snow in the mountains. Then we'll be back to normal. Smile Glad you guys got away for a couple of days; travel safely this week as you head up north! Are you skiing anytime soon?

Oh, and while on the subject of the Church of Baseball, yesterday's sermon topic about "Patience" during the anticipation of Advent contained a reference to the Dodgers of the '40s & '50s, whose fans coined the term, "Wait 'til next year." As the minister noted, "We don't have to wait until next year, and we are assured the Savior comes"--as opposed to baseball, and the "not knowing" until the last man is out.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jpochard

PostPosted: Wed 12/19/12 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be leaving this weekend for New York to visit my daughter's family over Christmas. I hope you all have a blessed and wonderful Christmas with your families!

One thing about being a noted fan is that family and friends tend to have an idea what you want for a gift Smile The real gift was given many many years ago, and while I'm a fan of the Reds, my life was given to that tiny baby when I realized he gave his life for me.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Judy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 12/20/12 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sentiments. I plan to post my annual Christmas thread as soon as I get through this memorial service, somewhere between that and the Christmas Eve service.

I also plan to catch up on everything I've missed while going crazy over the last couple of weeks. So much on the Hot Stove! I won't have much time off, just a couple of days including Christmas, perhaps another day later in the week next week. In a church, your work never really stops; it may slow down at times, but it's always subject to emergencies. Working in a church is pretty much "real life"!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/20/13 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to recap a few things that have taken place over the past month, our Senior Minister retired on December 30, capping off a 39-year career in the ministry.

During Advent, one of his sermons described anticipation and waiting involved with the season of preparation. It concluded with, "Just like the Brooklyn Dodgers were about 'wait 'til next year' for so many years, sometimes waiting is a long and painful process. But the rewards are great." I had to chuckle to myself. Smile

For his final Sunday service, the chancel had been decorated with various touches of his favorite things in life, alongside articles of worship and the elements of Communion. Several baseball caps were set out around the Sanctuary with various team affiliations. I thought this was interesting because over the years, he has explained to me how it was he rooted for several teams.

He was born in Kentucky and as a small boy attended many games at Crosley Field rooting for the Reds. But, he also cheered for the Yankees in the American League because he was a Mickey Mantle fan.

As a teenager his family moved to Ridgecrest, CA, around 1960, just a couple of years after the Dodgers had relocated to L.A. He became a Dodger fan through the great years of that decade and attended many games at Dodger Stadium while a student at UCLA.

When he began serving a church in the East Bay in the '70s, he cheered on the Oakland "A"s (again, conveniently arriving just as the team was becoming successful). He also served in southern Oregon where the Bay Area teams were fan favorites--but said he could never root for the Jints after all those years of Dodger blue being ingrained in him.

So in 2002, when he came to our little southwesternmost corner of the country, he bought a Padres mini-season plan and said he would "try to" support them as much as possible. Then, as now, the local team had some trying seasons, and I knew that--as a baseball fan, overall--he loved the game no matter who won. To that end, I did my best to keep him in the Dodgers' corner, even as the two teams were battling it out for a tie in the NL West in an exciting end to the 2006 season.

So fast-forward to December 30, 2012...as the final service he led was coming to an end, the minister picked up a red (not Reds) cap that was sitting near the altar and held it up for all to see. "I don't know where this Phillies cap came from," he said, "but I can't imagine how it got placed above all these others." He then moved it down below the rest of the caps. The entire congregation got a good laugh out of that and I couldn't think of anyone in the church who was a Phillies phan anyway, so it went over well.

The last item on the order of worship was the congregational benediction, which was printed as "The Lord Bless and Keep You." The organist began the introductory chords, and then abruptly switched to playing, "Take Me out to the Ballgame." Our minister walked down the aisle to the back of the church as everyone in attendance sang along to the familiar tune--someone who was "in on it" had even brought a bag of peanuts as a prop!

All in all, it was a great way to send him off into retirement. Smile

It turned out the Phillies cap was placed courtesy of our worship arts leader, whose father was Jimmy Rollins' high school baseball coach. Jimmy still keeps in touch with their family and occasionally sends them Phillies merchandise, as well as provides them choice seats at Petco Park when Philadelphia visits the Padres. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jpochard

PostPosted: Mon 1/21/13 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Smile He sounds like a real gem and I hope retirement blesses him and he can really enjoy some extra game watching. I loved the send off ideas and I also chuckled reading about the last "hymn".
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 1/22/13 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one. I hate to imagine how hard it was to support our team but I was glad he tried!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 1/28/13 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Cathy...and in fact, his first full year with us was 2003. He commented that summer, in a sermon about perseverance and going through difficult times, that he now "understood why God sent me to San Diego..." For some context for others, that was a year in which the Padres lost 99 games. Surprised

I almost forgot to mention this, but his last service and retirement, which I noted were on the last Sunday of the year, also coincided with a larger-than-life figure in baseball. That was Sandy Koufax's 77th birthday! Very appropriate. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/13/13 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For today's service, I've created a special program cover with this image on it.

I did this last year, too, and posted about it in this thread.

As I wrote,

"Of course a few people 'got it.' And it was not just the fact that the bats are made by Trinity Bat Co. Wink "

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: