Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/24/11 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO! I can finally say things will be getting back to normal. With our two big events at work, the 105th Birthday and the Regional Gathering, along with the associated upgrades completed and alternate service arrangements no longer necessary, we have just a few loose ends to tie up now in the next couple of days, and things will be much more quiet for awhile (I hope!). I think I can exhale for a month or so. Of course, Advent is just around the corner (five weeks away!).

Will report back on some of what's been going on, later, appropriate comments for this thread.

GilHodgesFan:

Quote:
My favorite color is blue also which was my favorite color before I became a Dodgers and Cubs fan.

I can't say it was mine before, since I was born that way--with blue eyes and blue blood.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 10/24/11 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda I have to LOL at the pic of the license plate. It reminded me of when we were at Dodger Stadium and you took a pic of a plate while the people were still in the car. If I remember correctly much laughing occurred after that!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/25/11 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad things are settling down. Did you say you had both a wedding and a quinceanera to attend too?

Love the plate frame - it's so "you." Bumper sticker is so appropriate!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/25/11 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that bumper sticker. Very Happy No matter what team one is a fan of, it says it all!

You are correct, I have both a quinceanera and wedding to attend.

Stlred,

Quote:
It reminded me of when we were at Dodger Stadium and you took a pic of a plate while the people were still in the car. If I remember correctly much laughing occurred after that!

Jan, where is my beach towel? Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 10/25/11 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMGOSH Linda that was the same night and I was thinking about that too! We crack me up!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/25/11 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 11/2/11 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bittersweet day!

As everyone knows, I had already planned on this day to honor loved ones who have departed this life, and join with friends and family to share memories of them.

And, late last night, the good news had broken about the sale of the Dodgers.

So, it was already seeming to be a "mixed bag" kind of day. I wanted to maintain some sense of solemnity, but at the same time, I found it hard to contain my joy.

Then, real life intervened. Following a mid-morning appointment, I arrived at work to find out that our weekend custodian, one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet, had been found dead at home at age 48, by his roommate; cause is still under investigation.

Was our office staff ever shocked and saddened! And when the word got out to the congregation, we fielded a constant stream of calls all afternoon. Everyone was horrified at the news. Our co-worker--gone so quickly from our midst--was so helpful, so efficient, and so pleasant to everyone who ever crossed his path.

So, by the end of this November 2, I was forced to contend with remembering and saying a prayer for the newly-departed--as well as the recently, and long-departed, members of my family.

Rest in peace, Jim...the custodian of the Church of Baseball!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 11/3/11 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh, that is sooo sad Exclamation I was almost crying myself reading your post about what a nice guy he was Sad My condolences to your church family for losing such a valuable member of the team and a guy who was pleasant and very loved. If he happened to be the first person people saw when they came to your church who knows how many new people he might have influenced to come back to your church just by being the pleasant friendly man he was and always ready to help someone out.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/3/11 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you are so right--he was a great welcomer to outsiders, too.

Among our own people, he had a reputation of working well with all the group coordinators to make sure all their needs were met--he did whatever it took to keep people happy, even with last-minute requests. And he was always so humble, too. As you can imagine, church budgets don't offer a lot of flexibility for payroll, and the last time it allowed for us to receive raises, Jim said, seeming surprised, "That's nice, but I don't deserve a raise; I didn't do anything special."

His roommate told us how much he loved the church, too. It was hard for us to get much work done yesterday. Crying or Very sad We only coped by remembering a funny story about him just last week...there was a mix-up in communication by a third party that resulted in a hilarious chain of events; Jim was involved in it. I just kept repeating the story to the office administrator so we could laugh along with the tears. Also, he had just given me a very sweet card a couple of weeks ago for no special occasion...just saying he noticed I do a lot of things around the church that are not publicly recognized but that they were appreciated. I was so touched. I will treasure that card even more, now.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 11/3/11 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not getting back to this post sooner. I got busy at work and then babysat for awhile after work.

I am glad that you could be with your church family and share stories about Jim. What a nice story about the card he gave you. It will be something special to always remember him by. He sounds like a very caring, giving, sweet man. I am glad he loved the church and working there so much.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 11/4/11 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad story. Sad I know what you said about working in a church you feel a sense of loss when any of your members die, but I bet it hits really hard when it's a well liked staff member and one who was so kind. I was sorry to read about this. Condolences from me too.
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 11/4/11 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Linda. Sending hugs!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 11/6/11 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh Linda I was really sorry to read all this. I would bet it was sure different at your church today.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 11/27/11 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a few weeks have gone by now, and with the first day of Advent, it was such a comforting sight to see the entire Sanctuary decorated in BLUE today, as BLUE is the color of Advent.

Blue symbolizes hope...and this offseason has certainly given us fans hope! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 11/27/11 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your analogies DB Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 12/9/11 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, a few weeks have gone by now, and with the first day of Advent, it was such a comforting sight to see the entire Sanctuary decorated in BLUE today, as BLUE is the color of Advent.

Blue symbolizes hope...and this offseason has certainly given us fans hope!

Ahhhh. I love it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/18/12 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

February in particular is a month of passings, it seems.

As I posted in another thread, it's been a weird week. Death seems to be a lot on my mind the last few days. Not only did baseball lose a Hall of Famer just a couple of days ago--one who was inspirational and very much a "people person"--but, today is also the ninth anniversary of my dad's passing from life to Life. Also, I know next week will be one year for GilHodgesFan and her mother. I was so appreciative of Sunnyblue and Cathy for contacting me today to say their thoughts were with me! Looking forward to seeing you in awhile, Cath.

Eerily, on Wednesday, we received notification that one of the sweet older ladies of our church had just passed away--of pancreatic cancer. She was originally from Cedar Rapids, Iowa! I will miss her so much...she had only found our church a year ago, and so, she hadn't been a member long. But, did she ever touch my life. She was so interesting, she could talk about a variety of subjects, and she never let her illness get in the way of her positive personality. Losing one of our church family always affects me in more than one way, beyond just a personal level, as I'm often in on some of the details of the memorial service.

Additionally, as I posted on that same day, it was also the ten-year anniversary of Michael Darr's passing, and I'm finding some sense of optimism in the sense that young Mike is doing so well all this time later. Seeing baseball emerge from tragedy really gives me hope. Smile

Cathy and I will be taking some time to personally attend some tournament games and follow his season. Once again, from death springs forth new (baseball) life, and that can only be good. Smile

And as if all of that isn't enough, we had another service at church today (for someone who died out of state; not a member of the church, but her daughter is).

In a week which started with Whitney Houston's untimely passing and ends here with thoughts of my dad and 2/18/03, it's just been a week in which mortality has been a constant reminder.

And in case you're wondering, I did mention this elsewhere, that Houston's death last Saturday brought constant reminders of her wonderful song, "One Moment in Time", with a baseball twist. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who was reminded of it. A blogger for the Houston Astros posted about memories of that song played over World Series highlights as the Dodgers won that year.

So very long ago, it was. But that song will always play over that highlight reel. Every time I've heard it over the last three decades, all I can think of is Tommy Lasorda's belief that the Dodgers could win it all, and they did.

Quote:
Give me one moment in time
When I'm racing with destiny
Then in that one moment of time
I will feel, I will feel eternity

I've lived to be the very best
I want it all, no time for less
I've laid the plans, now lay the chance
Here in my hands

What a healing balm.

Everywhere you turn, baseball is there.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 2/19/12 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the deaths of Whitney Houston and especially Gary Carter, one does have to think how mortal we really are. We speed through life at a pace sometimes where we don't really see everything around us and life can be over in the blink of eye. Particularly as these two people were around the same age as us. I know it makes me want to slow down and enjoy life with family and friends more.

I am sorry I didn't contact you yesterday DB. My husband's daughter and kids are here from Minnesota. We took them out and about as much as we could with nothing to see here in boring Iowa in winter.

I am thinking of you today though it is a day later. With Spring Training about to start your dad will surely be with you in spirit. He is still enjoying the game as much as he ever did. I truly believe that. And I'm sure he is happy you carry on his love of baseball. It is a connection that will always be there and keep you close to him.

As time goes by I am finding more comfort in knowing that I will see my mom again as you will see your dad. It is hard to not have them with us but to know that we will be with them for all eternity never to be separated again...I don't know what people do who don't believe this way. The selfish part of me wishes mom back but I know she saw her quality of life dwindling and I think she thought she would never get out of bed again. She is somewhere better where time will not pass and she doesn't have that stupid Pancreatitis, her knees won't bother her, and most of all she was looking forward to be reunited with my dad. I have to hang on to that. To not would be to give in to utter despair.

The constant of baseball - the basic game staying the same - having teams we can root for and players we love - a past-time we shared through generations gives a nice sense of stability in an ever changing world and connects us with those we love who've passed to the next stage of life. Whenever I see Fernando Valenzuela I think of mom. She really liked him though she didn't watch baseball all that much until I started following the Dodgers. I think of my dad taking me and my brothers to see Bob Feller appearing at our minor league stadium or taking my brothers and me into Chicago for Cubs games. He was always good about including me except for the Atlanta Braves game that his cousin bought tickets for. It was a surprise from his cousin when we got to Georgia so there was nothing he could do about me being excluded.

My sympathy is with you concerning the member from your church family. To lose someone with such zest in the face of her illness and her love of people really hits a church. For being there a short time she seems to have left a big impact. It is interesting that she was from Cedar Rapids Iowa.

I will try to be on later today about the other threads. It is 7:14 a.m. here and people are starting to wake up so I'll get the breakfast on.

I am meeting my brothers later for dinner. I thought we were going to talk about the house but it appears it is going to be a family gathering of whoever can attend just for the fun of it. My brother from Illinois is going to pick me up so that will give us a chance to talk a bit before getting together will everyone else. I told him the other day on the phone I sure don't want this house mess to cause problems between us and mom would never wanted that to happen!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 2/19/12 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To both of you - that was well said.

Linda, we enjoyed seeing you yesterday for the game. I was glad you were able to get out to one on the anniversary of your dad's passing and that Sunnyblue texted you too. I also loved your story about the Air & Space Museum and how that tied into baseball! You can find a way to do that with anything, I think. Smile

I thank you for keeping Darr at the forefront so his memory isn't lost. It's easy to see how it would be when you have a guy with a Hall of Fame career who won a World series & then you're talking about someone whose career was just getting going. He was not a household name like Gary Carter, played for a small market team and didn't hit his best years yet, but he played with the same kind of passion.

Quote:
I did mention this elsewhere, that Houston's death last Saturday brought constant reminders of her wonderful song, "One Moment in Time", with a baseball twist. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who was reminded of it. A blogger for the Houston Astros posted about memories f that song played over World Series highlights as the Dodgers won that year.

So very long ago, it was. But that song will always play over that highlight reel. Every time I've heard it over the last three decades, all I can think of is Tommy Lasorda's belief that the Dodgers could win it all, and they did.

You Dodger fans are both lucky to have that memory to hang onto. I remember that song being used for both the World series and also the Olympics. It was quite a special song. The Astros blogger was not the only one to mention its connection to those sports moments either. I read about it on other sites, too.

Quote:
Everywhere you turn, baseball is there.

I like reading that and thought to myself, yes, and it was a good thing to get us both out to a game this weekend. In this case baseball was there not just figuratively but literally too. A very good thing right? Very Happy
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 2/20/12 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was glad you were able to get out to one on the anniversary of your dad's passing and that Sunnyblue texted you too.

Sorry I missed that Linda. You know you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jan, you too. Very Happy

Cathy,

Quote:
I also loved your story about the Air & Space Museum and how that tied into baseball! You can find a way to do that with anything, I think.

I love how the Air & Space Museum ties in with the 1970s Dodgers! You can imagine remembering how that happened 35 years ago or so was one of my more naive moments! LOL!

Quote:
I thank you for keeping Darr at the forefront so his memory isn't lost. It's easy to see how it would be when you have a guy with a Hall of Fame career who won a World series & then you're talking about someone whose career was just getting going. He was not a household name like Gary Carter, played for a small market team and didn't hit his best years yet, but he played with the same kind of passion.

Cathy, I am glad to do that. I love how young Michael is honoring his dad.

Quote:
You Dodger fans are both lucky to have that memory to hang onto. I remember that song being used for both the World series and also the Olympics. It was quite a special song. The Astros blogger was not the only one to mention its connection to those sports moments either. I read about it on other sites, too.

Yes, it's not just me, but all Dodger fans. Now, see, we have two events of the last few days tying into Dodger moments of the past--one on a bigger scale, the other a personal experience. I have never been able to watch that highlight reel without getting teary-eyed. (I would assume no Dodger fan would!)

And I have never been able to think back on that story I told you without laughing.

Yes, it was wonderful to have baseball there literally, too! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I would assume no Dodger fan would!)

I would think it goes for Gil Hodges fan and Sunnyblue too.

Quote:
Cathy, I am glad to do that. I love how young Michael is honoring his dad.

The question is whether he will do better in football or baseball. I hope it's baseball.

Quote:
And I have never been able to think back on that story I told you without laughing.

Well I told my husband and one of my sons. Maybe it wasn't a good comparison because my son has always been into aerospace history with so many we've had in the family working in that field. He didn't understand why you wouldn't know and yet, my husband did and thought that was a cute one.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think it goes for Gil Hodges fan and Sunnyblue too.

Hopefully. I know Sunny would be chiming right in on that if she were here. Sometimes it seems like it's just you and me commenting; also, she's a diehard Dodger fan which you are not. Smile

Quote:
Well I told my husband and one of my sons. Maybe it wasn't a good comparison because my son has always been into aerospace history with so many we've had in the family working in that field. He didn't understand why you wouldn't know and yet, my husband did and thought that was a cute one.

Things have changed a lot since then! I'm glad I gave him a chuckle. Oh, to be 18 again. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 2/22/12 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen the highlight reel? Where can I find it? All the DVDs I have of the Dodgers are about the Brooklyn Dodgers. I need to find a DVD about the 1970's Dodgers since that is the time period I liked them.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/12 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, I presented a special program cover with this image on it.

Of course a few people "got it." And it was not just the fact that the bats are made by Trinity Bat Co. Wink

GilHodgesFan,

I don't know if there's one specifically about that era of the Dodgers--if there were, I'm sure I would have heard about it! Even if such a DVD about them existed, I doubt it would have the same clips that were run by the network immediately after the World Series ended which blended moments of that series, backed by Houston's song. I searched on Youtube to see if I could find it, and I found just about everything but it.

What always amazed me ever since that time, is how many non-baseball fans told me they associated that song with it. I really think the heart the Dodgers exhibited resonated with the general public.

Cathy,

They called that event at the museum the "Spirit of '45." For Dodger fans who followed the team back in the era I referenced, most of us will remember the "Spirit of 76." You should run that by your Dodger fan buddy.

Quote:
He was not a household name like Gary Carter, played for a small market team and didn't hit his best years yet, but he played with the same kind of passion.

Well-put--and I just responded in that thread.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/12 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Trinity Bat Co cover. Good one DB Smile

Maybe someday there will be some LA Dodger DVDs. I would definitely buy one about the 1970s. I bought a Red Barber CD on MLB.com along with a customized Gil Hodges shirt. Vin Scully should have a CD Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/12 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind I posted:

Quote:
And it was not just the fact that the bats are made by Trinity Bat Co.

What I meant by that was, it just happened to be the images I used were by Trinity--I didn't realize that until later.

I'll wait to see if Cathy gets it. I emailed it to her.

I agree Vin should have his own CD of greatest calls (and how many volumes would it be?!!), but I treasure the DVDs and CDs he has narrated that I possess. They're all part of my collection.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 2/23/12 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh....now I get it!!! Laughing Definitely fits with the Church of Baseball Very Happy

Vin's greatest moments would encompass more than one CD! Silly me!! It would be nice to have his voice on CD Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 2/24/12 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

Good one. Laughing

Quote:
They called that event at the museum the "Spirit of '45." For Dodger fans who followed the team back in the era I referenced, most of us will remember the "Spirit of 76." You should run that by your Dodger fan buddy.

I did and he remembers the 1970s Dodgers very well with Murph & the Spirit of 76!

I wish so much I could have attended the lifetime achievement ceremony. My son would have loved it!

Quote:
I know Sunny would be chiming right in on that if she were here. Sometimes it seems like it's just you and me commenting; also, she's a diehard Dodger fan which you are not.

Razz
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/25/12 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did and he remembers the 1970s Dodgers very well

Just thinking of Murph makes me really nostalgic for that era. *sigh* Especially a certain Dodgers catcher who's the nephew of that man.

Quote:
I wish so much I could have attended the lifetime achievement ceremony. My son would have loved it!

I think we all would have loved it! I feel we were really honored by a great American's presence...a "Hall of Famer" in the air! You have to wonder why we're the only two talking about him here. Sad

(I can't get the link from that page to show up right; I'll have to try it later.)

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 2/28/12 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: