Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 2/26/12 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a Hall of Famer for sure. I hope someday to be able to meet him. If I do I will make sure to tell him that story of your encounter. Lol

We are also looking into getting the museum for another of our upcoming events. That is another perk of my job, working with events coordinators for a lot of these venues. You get to see a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

Let me know if you find any other 1970s Dodgers stuff. Eric would sure love it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/27/12 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, a Hall of Famer for sure. I hope someday to be able to meet him. If I do I will make sure to tell him that story of your encounter. Lol

I'm sure you are kidding. Smile

You know, I had forgotten about it, but Vin used to often tell stories about him during broadcasts. You can even see the resemblance if you look closely.

All this really makes me nostalgic for the Dodgers of my youth. Even Sunnyblue wasn't old enough then for all this to mean that much to her, so I guess we will just have to add your neighbor to the board. Wink
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/12 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All this really makes me nostalgic for the Dodgers of my youth. Even Sunnyblue wasn't old enough then for all this to mean that much to her, so I guess we will just have to add your neighbor to the board.

Well an easier thing to do would be have Gil Hodges fan post since I thought she's always said she was a fan of the 1970's Dodgers. There sure is a resemblance as far as I can tell! Yes, I was kidding about meeting him. Very Happy I can only go on carrying Dodger conversations for so long. It's either that or I have to bring Sunnyblue back here myself. I cannot do that, sorry!
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/12 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up a photo of Steve Yeager to see what he looks like now. He does bear a pretty strong resemblance to his uncle.

I am just not use to the players I use to watch back in the 1970's aging. In my mind they are suppose to look like they did back then. As if I aged and they didn't Laughing It is no wonder I didn't recognize Don Kessinger when I was watching Ron Santo's service on the computer.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/28/12 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He always did...I could tell way back then. I was assuming she was talking about him from back then, at least.

However, with the exception of Davey Lopes, the infielders all do look much the same. I think Yeager and Lopes are among the few who really look their ages.

Quote:
I can only go on carrying Dodger conversations for so long. It's either that or I have to bring Sunnyblue back here myself. I cannot do that, sorry!

I hear you...I do appreciate you doing that.

And by the way, Cathy, thanks for not telling him my story! Telling your neighbor...that's okay. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/29/12 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree that most of those guys look very close to the same as they did 35 years ago or so, from the more current pictures you showed me and others I have seen from time to time on line. They may look a bit more "distinguished" but not like they're in their 60s. Did you say once that stlred was involved with one of those encounters?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/29/12 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was Bill Russell.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 3/1/12 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have taken several visitors to that site since then as it's become my favorite tourist destination in L.A.--after Dodger Stadium, that is!

OK well here I am! It's nice to see I was mentioned so much in my absence, lol

Quote:
Well I told my husband and one of my sons. Maybe it wasn't a good comparison because my son has always been into aerospace history with so many we've had in the family working in that field. He didn't understand why you wouldn't know and yet, my husband did and thought that was a cute one.

I love to hear DB's stories of those days. I wish I'd been older then. I do remember the Spirit of 76 though.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/6/12 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a draining past few days. The woman I had mentioned a couple of weeks back who died here (from Cedar Rapids) just had her ashes scattered at sea, and tomorrow is the memorial service for her. In addition, a friend at church was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer just in the last few days. She had emergency surgery and is supposed to start chemo soon. Then, a friend of my sister's who grew up with her in our church was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident out near the mountains on a winding road and nearly lost her life. As it turned out, she had a leg amputated and is very fortunate to still be alive. Her poor mother is 83, and just got out of the hospital a few days earlier, herself. And her poor son, who's 28, is suffering from PTSD after having served in the Marines during several tours in the Middle East. And her sister was, guess where?--at an exhibition game in Peoria!--when she got the news about Beth's accident.

In addition to all that, our Friday office volunteer who helps me complete all the end of the week preparations for Sunday services (she is 88 and has been volunteering for over 50 years!) had a fall, and broke her hip. She is a huge Dodger fan and is full of spunk--she always keeps everyone in line (including the ministers!). Surprised I don't know how long it'll take her to heal, but she's in great spirits.

So when it rains, it pours, as they say--and who among us likes rainouts? Exclamation Mad

Last, and admittedly this one didn't affect me as personally since I didn't know the man, but a friend from church lost her father over the past few days. A note of interest is that he served on the USS Midway as a cook during WWII. They have received special permission to have his memorial service on board the Midway.

On the "lighter side" of things, we're ordaining three elders in church on Palm Sunday, and looking at the calendar, I realized that is, of course, D-Day for Seņor McCourt. So when it was brought up in our staff meeting, I mentioned to our minister that in the Church of Baseball, we may well be ordaining a new owner.

Even the Padres fans in the room agreed that was a good thing!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 3/7/12 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh Surprised I feel so sorry for all the family members, and the people who need healing of all kinds right now - emotional and physical Sad I will keep everyone in my prayers and pray for strength for you too. Not only to have strength to help with all the crises but spiritual strength to get through all of it.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/7/12 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Sad Hope things get better there!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/7/12 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. It can be stressful because we are not only trying to be spiritually supportive as friends and fellow church members, but in addition we also are responsible for the professional side of it with the memorial services, and getting the word out to members on the progress of those who are still ill. So those of us who work on staff wear many hats.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/8/12 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you do a great job at wearing the various hats though I could see how it could be very wearing on you emotionally. Feeling as you do about your church family and then having to maintain the professional side of it would be difficult. At least in a church setting it is easier to show how you feel I would think vs if you worked for a funeral home.

Please know that we are here for you during this time.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/8/12 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At least in a church setting it is easier to show how you feel I would think vs if you worked for a funeral home.

Oh, absolutely.

Thanks for the thoughts.

On the lighter side (again), there's nothing like having so much work to do and having your copier break down. We were at our wit's end when the repair guy had been out three times in three weeks, tweaking it with various things each time and things only got worse this last week. Ended up having to get the memorial service programs printed at an outside printer, which stressed us out even more. Yesterday, the repair guy spent almost three hours replacing various parts on the machine (taking up about half of my individual office space with all his bags and equipment, not the best of circumstances for me trying to get more work done), and thinking he had everything working just right, we ran some test copies. He said he thought he had all of the color cartridges working just right, but NO. Turns out the problem is with blue, and he will bring a new blue toner today since we have a high volume of color copies we run every Thursday.

"A world without blue", I told him, "is unimaginable."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/8/12 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you just know it - a copier breaking down when you need it the most! That happens to some of our schools right when they are running reports cards. It can be a real mess - added stress when there is a time limit on getting things done, not to mention the stress you are under anyway right now.

[/quote] "A world without blue", I told him, "is unimaginable."
Quote:

1) It is ironic it would be blue of all colors LOL
2) Great way to keep your sense of humor in a situation like that Smile

I hope nothing else goes wrong. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
[/url]
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 3/9/12 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, did you tell the Yeager story to the guys at church? Also whatever happened with the former neighbor you were telling me had died a couple of months ago, and you said there was a Padre game connection? I never did get the end of that because we were interrupted that night and I forgot to ask you again.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/10/12 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my friend Diana's dad who died. She and I were really close in high school; she was a big Padres fan who always loved going to the "businessman's specials" (which is what they called them back in those days) at San Diego Stadium. In the summer of 1977, we had tickets, with another friend, to a Dodgers-Padres game with seats in the grandstand. I ended up not going because I had to work and never used that ticket--so I saved it for Unused Ticket Night.

Meanwhile she and our other friend went to the game. After a couple of innings a guy who was seated a few rows back saw my empty seat, and asked them if it was taken. He started talking to Diana about the game, and they found out over a few innings that they had a lot in common. Long story short, they've been together for 35 years now (married for 25 of them). And what if I didn't have to work that day? LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the Yeager story...yes, I told our friend Bob, the one who knows Vin, and he said he would tell him sometime so Vin could mix it into one of the game broadcasts. LOL Embarassed Just as long as he doesn't use my name and gives me a pseudonym!

Seriously, I don't think a teenager's ignorance merits much attention on the air! Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 3/10/12 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That was a good story! They should be grateful to you. Sounds like one Scully would share on the air if our teams were playing and they were in the crowd that day.

Quote:
As for the Yeager story...yes, I told our friend Bob, the one who knows Vin, and he said he would tell him sometime so Vin could mix it into one of the game broadcasts. LOL

I bet he likes teasing you about that. Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 3/10/12 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bet he likes teasing you about that.

He does. And I love hearing his stories of Vinnie while they were growing up in Washington Heights.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/21/12 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easter Sunday falls on opening weekend - maybe you can have him invite him to your church that day.

Quote:
And I love hearing his stories of Vinnie while they were growing up in Washington Heights

I bet you do Very Happy and I know you mentioned awhile back about a few anecdotes with the sisters and the Boy Scouts.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/21/12 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, we don't have a service early enough to allow him to get out in time to reach the ballpark for his preparation in the booth.

And, we're not Catholic. Smile

But triste right now because I'm planning a paddle-out for my friend this week. Crying or Very sad Now, I'm using baseball as a healing force.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what a paddle-out is but if you are using baseball as a healing force then I figure your friend must be having some health issues. My thoughts are with you and your friend. Please keep us posted.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfers paddle out onto the ocean and leave flowers at sea in memory of a friend who has just passed away.

Our friend Beth (who was closer to my sister, as they grew up together in church) was removed from life support on Monday and passed away that night. She's the one I posted about who was involved in a motorcycle accident two weeks ago. Her mom is one of the strongest women I know--she handled everything with such dignity. Beth's two grown children were in agreement that allowing her to go peacefully would be best. It had originally been thought that she would make it through, in the first week after the accident, but she had flatlined in the OR when she was first brought in, and the doctors said there would be brain damage to some extent. When it was determined that she had no real chance, the family made the difficult decision. It's very rough for our congregation, since this is a five-generation family going back 90 years in our church's history. Beth was the youngest in her immediate family, and she was full of life and energy. She was "her own woman", as my sister said, and had been that way since she was a little girl--not always the case with a youngest child in the family. She was very independent.

The memorial service will be held on Sunday, and her ashes will be scattered over the Pacific sometime next week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you posting about her motorcycle accident. It would be a very, very difficult decision to make, taking someone off life support. It does sound like Beth's family handled it with grace and dignity, not only a tribute to her family but to Beth herself. It certainly makes things a little easier if everyone can be in agreement with decisions. Family need each other at a time like this more than ever. They are also fortunate to have a strong church family, including yourself and your sister.

Without the knowledge my mom is in Heaven and that I will see her again, it would be absolutely unbearable to be without her. Mom was in her 80s and had lived her life out. She was ready to leave. I cannot even imagine the loss this family is feeling over someone who had a life ahead of her and losing a child would be one of the hardest things to ever bear Sad

It is so important to have a Living Will made out and a decision ahead of time for Do Not Resucitate though most people do not think of something like this at our age. My mom had one made out so we knew what she wanted.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right--our church has a great program about Living Wills, and I'm sure you've heard of "Five Wishes" which is one many of our congregants have participated in. I do believe Beth had expressed such a wish, although the information about her brain damage situation changed from the first week to the second week after the accident.

Quote:
I cannot even imagine the loss this family is feeling over someone who had a life ahead of her and losing a child would be one of the hardest things to ever bear

Thinking back over the kids we grew up with at church who were within five years of my age, she is the third who has passed away. One died at age 31 in 1995, and another last year at 46. Both of them had endured long illnesses, though. Most of us who grew up at UCC are still alive, doing very well, and living life joyfully, although that could change at any minute, when you realize that's exactly what happened with Beth.

Over the last few years, many older adults in our church have lost grown children, whether in their 40s, 50s or 60s, and no matter what their age, I can't imagine how difficult that would be to bear. The elderly parents have lived through all those losses with great strength, and have been an example of faith for us all. Our senior minister said that Beth's mom was like a rock through this all, and as he put it, "she ministered to the rest of us on giving Beth back to God." (It is always interesting to hear of the ministers being ministered to--and then I remember they're just human, too.)

Our church family has been wonderfully supportive throughout the two-week vigil. Thinking back to Beth's humor has in many cases gotten everyone through this. She was one who had a sharp, and often caustic, wit--so we could imagine her saying, "Quit moping, everyone! I'll be fine!"

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth's sense of humor made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes. How many of our loved ones would be telling us that very same thing from Heaven?! They are not suffering anymore and are living joyous lives now that we can't even conceive of in earthly words or pictures. They would certainly tell us to live life to the fullest and not mope around though that is what we feel like doing being without them.

Beth's mom sounds like a real anchor to people. She is helping others through the loss of her daughter rather than the other way around. I suspect she will be confronting her own grief at some point. There is no way to get around it, one can only go through it. She sounds like a real inspiration and is a real testimony to what faith can do in a person's life.

I know what you mean about ministers. We tend to put them on a higher level than ourselves as we depend on them so much for advice, comfort, etc. It is hard to realize that they may need these very same things at points in their own lives because they are human.

My thoughts will be with your family and Beth's family this weekend. I hope this doesn't sound odd but I hope it is a very sunny sparkly day for the paddle-out. I mean that in a good way as a nice memorial to Beth.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we endured the very sudden and unexpected loss of our custodian, Jim, back in November (which I posted about here), the only way the office could cope was by remembering a funny incident that had happened just a week or so earlier. It involved a mix-up via voice mail messages. Jim and his niece's husband were both employed as custodians at the church, but Sean wasn't as hard a worker as Jim was and we were encountering some problems with him. Our office manager had left a message for Jim about following up on work that Sean had done, and it ended up being intercepted by Sean's wife. Jim, the manager and I all had a long laugh about it just a few days before he died.

So when we got the sad news of his death from his roommate, that laughter of recollection about something so recent was the only thing that kept us going throughout the next few days.

Quote:
I hope this doesn't sound odd but I hope it is a very sunny sparkly day for the paddle-out.

Oh, not at all! That's what you always hope for. And good waves, of course.

I agree so much with your other comments. Having worked with ministers over the last three years, I've become used to seeing them in a different setting, with all their own joys and pain. Although they are all pretty open with the congregation in general, there is still something more to it when you are around them six days of the week.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the picture you posted of Jim on here and the way you described his endearing personality so full of joy and optimism when he came to work Smile

Remembering funny things can help. I was upset one day at work shortly after my mom passed away. A secretary from one of the other departments (Tammy) was with me as I had gone off to find a place to be alone. She was talking to me about all the people mom was meeting up there. Then I started laughing because mom loved to talk and could strike up a conversation with anyone. I told Tammy mom probably hadn't gotten beyond meeting the first few people up there because she loved to talk Laughing
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cute Gil Hodges Fan. Smile

Quote:
I remember the picture you posted of Jim on here and the way you described his endearing personality so full of joy and optimism when he came to work

Where is it? I looked through the thread and do not see it anywhere.

Linda I did know about this when you told me a few days ago, but even still I did want to say I was very sorry to hear that. And it must be even so much harder on her son with his PTSD to deal with.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Thu 3/22/12 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to find it. I know I've seen a picture of him (I thought on this site) and I remember her talking about him on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: