Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 3/13/11 4:04 pm    Post subject: The Church of Baseball Reply with quote

I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for a long time--something to poke light-hearted fun at the idea of baseball being a "religion." Or more specifically, how baseball works its way into faith life. This is intended to be a "fun" thread and not at all a serious discussion about religious beliefs, so I don't want anyone to feel alienated from it.

I'm assuming we all (all of us on this board) come from different backgrounds, if we have any grounding in religion at all, so this is in no way an attempt to proselytize. Smile Some may not have been born into a religious background at all, and that's fine. We've all been proselytized and baptized into the love of the game--right? Very Happy

Many of you know I work in a church office, which I also attend as a parishioner. I've posted in the past about the baseball bonding between our senior minister and myself on the office staff, as we both are avid and passionate fans of baseball. Our associate minister, on the other hand, is not at all a fan, so she is often amused at the discussions.

A couple of summers back, our senior minister preached a sermon on "Baseball Theology." Was I surprised to hear myself personally referenced by name in that homily! You see, I live in Padres country, and even the basis of the team nickname is rooted in religious background--friar missionaries who arrived in this region from Spain. But even here, I've often ribbed others at church about the 'Big Dodger in the Sky" hearing our prayers. Dodger Stadium, as everyone here already knows, is "Our Lady of Chavez Ravine", a cathedral and shrine to the game.

Four years ago, when the original seats at Dodger Stadium were replaced in an upgrade and I was given a reserved level seat for my birthday, I joked that I would bring it in to my regular pew in the church, adding that it might improve the atmosphere of the service. For that, I got a few LOLs Laughing

So with Ash Wednesday services taking place this past week, I received a few chuckles when I suggested that, instead of traditionally burning the previous year's palm branches for the ashes to be used at the service, this year we burn Giants championship gear to start the Lenten season on the right tone. (Well, hey--I thought it was a good idea!)

After all, I don't see any coincidence in the fact that the true beginning of life, the holy and sacred season of baseball, gets underway during Lent/Easter, or in spring--take your pick--a time when on the religious and secular calendars "new life" springs forth.

Anyone else? Can I get an "Amen!"
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 8/10/15 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 3/14/11 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool that you have a seat from Dodger Stadium. I've always wanted a seat from Ebbets Field but they run about $3000 or more!

The book I'm reading now entitled Bums No More talks about how some Brooklyn Dodger fans didn't want to take a chance on going to the Polo Grounds to see their Dodgers play the Giants because of the rivalry. They were actually a bit scared of what Giants fans would do to them. Things are probably a bit more civilized now between the two teams fans but I'm sure Dodger fans don't cross over and vice versa LOL
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 3/15/11 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. I think you should tell the story about Pentecost too, that you mentioned to me last year.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 3/23/11 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stories. It's because baseball is such a spiritual sport! Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/27/11 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll mention the Pentecost story closer to the actual date, Sunny. Smile

You see, this is why I like it better when Easter comes earlier in the year--such as late March--it doesn't interfere with the regular season!

Holy Week (more affectionately known at my workplace as "Hell Week") Smile is over now, and we've now got a memorial service on tap this weekend, so I haven't completely slowed down yet. But I just wanted to apologize for not having kept the board maintained much over the past couple of weeks. It's been due to the stress and strain of working more hours than usual. I've barely been able to keep an eye on many games, but I'm doing my best on catching up on all I missed, and will recap some of here very soon.

Also, with a couple of our regulars on spring break trips and not being around, there just hasn't been a lot of activity here lately.

Hopefully it should pick up in the next few days.

The Dodgers have long been associated with blue, and their team name was once the Robins--back in the 1920s--so to celebrate Easter, here are some blue robins' eggs. Enjoy! Smile

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 8/10/15 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/27/11 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll bet you could use a few days off. I was gone in Palm Springs with the family for a few days. I'm not sure about Cathy because I haven't talked to her since the weekend the Dodgers were playing down here. I hope everyone had a nice spring break and/or Easter if you celebrate it.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 5/11/11 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a nice Easter dinner, but the Padres game against the Phillies (playing at home, but we watched it on TV) was very unappetizing. Sad

I like your robins eggs. Nice tie-in to the Brooklyn days. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/14/11 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Right, love those robins!

Last Sunday was Pentecost on the Christian calendar. In the case of our church, congregants were urged to wear colors of "fire" as that would be symbolic of the fire of the Holy Spirit. The colors suggested were red, orange and yellow.

Of course I was quick to inform them that regardless of what church holiday it is, I would still continue to defiantly wear blue as I always do, and pleaded my case that that is a color of fire. And furthermore, I emphasized, I most certainly would not under any circumstances be wearing orange! Evil or Very Mad

Well, the Dodgers won their game that day in Coors Field, going "on fire" as they beat the Rockies, 9-7. Very Happy

It's usually hard to have faith in this team, but it helps when they're en fuego!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Wed 6/15/11 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is blue in the flames of fire and myself, I would definitely wear blue rather than orange. For one thing, it is just not my color and I wouldn't want to wear a Jints color to feel the Holy Spirit. I'm sure we could feel the Holy Spirit perfectly well wearing blue Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Wed 6/15/11 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. I agree with you both! Good call!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/16/11 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lu, I agree, there is definitely something un-holy about the color orange!

Twisted Evil

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Fri 6/17/11 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with your assessment Linda LOL
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/31/11 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to recap my last couple of weeks I wanted to first of all, thank everyone for the emotional support you have all provided me, as well as the visits from the two local Diamonds gals. I've enjoyed hearing from everyone over the past week and a half and appreciate all of your concern for my well-being.

I received a visit in the hospital from two of our pastors just prior to my surgery, in which a wonderful prayer was shared, personalized for me and referring to God as the "great skipper of all", me as a "team player" who will be missed in the office, and a metaphor for my recovery as "rounding third and sliding home without a throw." Smile Needless to say, it broke up any worrying thoughts I might have and made me feel calm and confident that all would go well.

Which it did. I'm still on the DL, but was released from the hospital a day to two earlier than anticipated, and have enjoyed immensely being able to immerse myself in baseball without work interfering ever since then, LOL! It's been like heaven to just kick back on the sofa at home at 4 p.m. every day to watch the East Coast games as they are getting underway. (Normally I'd get home from work in the middle innings of those games.) Those games end around the time the West Coast games start, and with the Dodgers playing mostly in their time zone, that means "It's time for Dodger baseball" as soon as the Pirates, Phillies or Reds games, which I tend to watch a lot of, are over.

Altogether, that makes for about 6 to 7 hours of baseball watching right up through around 10:30 at night, followed by listening to post-game Dodger Talk on the radio, then calling it a night. On some days, there are scheduled afternoon games (and of course, the Cubs play many day games) preceding the regular East Coast/West Coast schedule, making for nine to ten hours of watching baseball (case in recent point, the Ervin Santana no-hitter for the Angels over the Indians the other day, an afternoon game from Progressive Field which I'd normally have had to miss seeing live because I'd have been working). Smile

What I have discovered is this: You can never have too much baseball! Thank the Lord for DirecTV & the MLB Extra Innings package! Very Happy

Yet, while I'm putting my recovery in the hands of the Almighty, I'm extremely concerned I may be unable to break this addiction when I have to return to work!

Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 7/31/11 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolutely wonderful prayer by your pastors who obviously know you through and through Smile There is no doubt it would have brought you great comfort and inspiration before your surgery.

Your immersion into baseball while you are on the mend is totally understandable. It's connection between you and your dad while you were growing up and into the present, your strong love of the Dodgers and all the wonderful players down through the years, the comfort of Vin Scully still announcing and painting beautiful word pictures. These were all strongholds in your daily life and will be even moreso during your recovery. Hopefully you will enjoy some good games of other teams also but probably not the poor Cubbies!

Withdrawl symptoms...it could be difficult to go back to work after all that baseball.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/2/11 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great recovery for you. You should post the stories about the nurses, that's worth a chuckle. Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 8/3/11 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks for the reminder!

First, I want to say this, for those of you who remember the poster known as "Nurse Cozmo", I underwent the surgery at the hospital she works at. Unfortunately, she was visiting family in New York state at the time! Her mother recently passed away, too. Sad Seems as if there is a lot of that going on. I would love to get her back to posting here.

Also on the subject of missing posters, Cathy and I both recently made contact with Pearl Girl. She has been absent so long because of many major personal issues going on in her family life, but she also said she would be back. And I look forward to her return.

And about my nurses:

When I first began to be prepped for surgery, the nurse who was helping me had a distinct East Coast accent. When she was finished giving me information and instructions, I asked where she was from. She said, "Boston, you mean you can tell?" She said she had lived here over 20 years and her family who still lives back there had told her she'd lost her accent. But, not to me! Then the conversation turned to baseball, of course, and she said she roots for both the Red Sox and the Padres. Once I got her going on that, it was almost as if my surgery was an afterthought as she waxed nostalgic about attending games at Fenway. Well, eventually the doctor came in and that was over. Smile

Two days later, one of the floor nurses came by my room to check up on me, and happened to see some of my reading material involved baseball. "Oh, are you a big fan?", she asked. I told her yes, and that I love the Dodgers. She immediately told me she was a Red Sox fan and had moved here from Boston. When I told her the surgical nurse was also one, she was surprised. She didn't know there was another nurse in the same hospital who had that in common with her. We did share a few laughs. Laughing Small world, that Sharp Memorial Hospital.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/3/11 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were great stories. Thank you for sharing them! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/7/11 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good news, I've been cleared to return to work a week from tomorrow! And as of a few days ago I can drive again. Very Happy

Can't wait for Perfect Game next week, and possibly another special event too...which I don't want to jinx. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Sun 8/7/11 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorraay for you!!! Smile Smile I am sure you are ecstatic and glad to not be so house-bound even though we know you enjoyed baseball. Ballpark visits soon for you I hope Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/7/11 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your progress is great - is there anything we can do for you, within reason that is Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/7/11 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ballpark visits soon for you I hope

Already posted about my ballpark visit, a little earlier.

Cathy: LOL at "within reason" Wink

Well, actually, here is something which I'm requesting again.

One of my goals has been to continue to grow this board, and I've mentioned that before. Yet, I'm still hesitant to invite others to the board for fear of inactivity. I would love to see everyone get current on the threads, and then stay current--because if we can't do that now, when there are only a few of us, how much more challenging will it be when there are (hopefully) more posters?

Can you all "help us grow"? That would be great!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 8/8/11 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will honestly try to do better at keeping up with posts. Once mom's house sells and I am not trying to take care of two houses that might free up some time.

Linda - Did you make it to a Major League game yet? I should have been more precise when I said I hoped a ballpark visit was in the future. I saw that you had a game planned but didn't know you'd already been to a game. You are way ahead of schedule it seems. You go girl!!! Smile Smile
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/9/11 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round them up (lol) - I do keep current at least once a week no matter how many threads there are and the only reason it's not more is I don't have Internet access at home anymore. But I don't like to not stay up on what's being posted for longer than that. Otherwise, I would check the board late at night if I could when I'm finished with work. I'm glad you'll be going back to work and it sounds like everything's going great for you.

I know you must have been dying you had to miss out on the U.S. Open this weekend. In fact you are probably missing out on a lot of things you usually do in summer, aren't you?

Loved the nurse stories! Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 8/11/11 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's within reason Smile and within my capabilities. Glad to help it keep moving forward. I guess you'll be back at work soon, and hopefully are getting out of the house now that you can drive.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/13/11 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact you are probably missing out on a lot of things you usually do in summer, aren't you?

The U.S. Open in Huntington Beach, Opening Day at Del Mar, etc. I loved that you were able to get out to Joshua Tree's 75th anniversary, though. I'll live vicariously through you and Danny! Smile

Glad to be getting out for so much baseball this weekend, and back to work on Monday!

I am still hesitant to put out any further invitations to the board at this point, though.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/11 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your first day back at work was good. It is soo good to hear about how quickly you are back to enjoying everything, including being back to work so much quicker than you expected. Keep up the good work! Very Happy
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/16/11 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really glad to see you out at the games this weekend too!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/18/11 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this time of year. Not just pennant races, but for the kids who play their hearts out in the LLWS, Perfect Game, RBI. That's some real talent there on display, long before getting the "biz of baseball", agents, and contracts involved. It's all about the pure love of the game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 8/18/11 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's all about the pure love of the game.

Yes & I agree, how can anyone not love that?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/11 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday at my church, it really was the "Church of Baseball", as many people who attend our second (late morning) service were at the 9:00 a.m. service instead. Of course, it turned out they were all going to the Padre game! Quite a few stepped into the restroom to change clothes afterwards, and some already had Padre items on, since the first service is the informal one. Some didn't know others were going until they saw them at church; all were sitting separately (at the game, that is).

I even joked about how I was forbidden Smile from wearing Dodger gear, but was headed down to meet Cathy, Ramon and another friend and her husband in the Gaslamp before the game.

And our minister in training, who is allowed a couple of Sundays off per year, opted to use this one so she could get downtown as early as possible and be one of the first ones in the gate.

So, as for the Church of Baseball--well, yesterday, that was Petco Park.

Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Wed 8/24/11 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: