Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpochard

PostPosted: Wed 2/13/13 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/13/13 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that! It was the broken bat issue. Wink
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/14/13 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband said (in response when I told him about this thread), at least it isn't Aluminum Wednesday. Although that is our recycling day! Lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/16/13 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Smile

Well, the good reverend left a baseball bat--a real one--behind and so I've claimed it. He never returned to claim it, and I've got myself a nice stick of wood. We endured a difficult year, but baseball was always the common denominator and it's a good reminder for me of the progress we've made, battling back from a huge setback. Finally, we're gaining in the standings again. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 2/17/13 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Did you give up anything for Lent this year?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/18/13 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carne. And thankfully, Opening Day is the day after Easter. Smile Still, no DDs during BBQs the next few weeks. Sad
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/19/13 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still need to update this one for Pentecost today! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/21/13 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some good stories for you, Cathy. Smile With the Padres doing so well, the Elder at the table spoke prior to Communion and offering at last Sunday's service. He mentioned God's goodness and grace and how we live in abundance. "Avocado season is here, we're enjoying a beautiful day, and the Padres are over .500 in the middle of June." He paused after the last comment when it elicited a few chuckles, then added, "With that, we know our God is a God of true miracles." Laughing

And a couple more:

One is about a woman from our church who is a diehard Padres fan. For one thing, she has been teasing me about us being in last place for so long, but even before that, she was harassing me about the Greinke/CQ fight. (If you can believe that!) I was handling some business at church on a Sunday morning in April, just three days after that confrontation took place. I had already attended our first service and then was walking through between buildings just as she and her husband were arriving for the second service. Right outside the sanctuary she called over to me, "Hey! You guys need to make sure your pitchers aren't throwing at our hitters!" I called back, "Well, tell your guys if that happens to just take their base and shut up about it!" (all in good nature, of course) Then her husband chimed in, "Hey, those Dodgers don't know how to do anything but start trouble!" and so I stopped in my tracks and began to talk about how CQ was out of line and deserved a longer suspension, when all of a sudden the usher came out from the Narthex to shush us. This couple was laughing at our back-and-forth trash talking and decided they had better shut up since they were just about to go inside as the service was to get underway shortly.

Then our part-time minister to seniors (whom I've referenced here before--the one who is a huge Padres and baseball fan and who used to post here many years ago) walked into the church and caught the last bit of the conversation and just chuckled to herself. She could only say, "I'm so glad baseball season is underway again." We all parted ways about then. LOL I called out over my shoulder, "To be continued!"

Very Happy

The other one is about this same woman, who is the chair of our Rummage Sale, which as you know took place this past week. There are four days of work and preparation while incoming rummage is sorted and priced, organized, etc. for the big opening day. Then the sale lasts three days. So overall, everything involved goes on for a week.

So on the final day I said to her, "Well, who knew this sale would be such a success. My Dodgers are undefeated ever since we began the first day of organization for it." She looked at me and said loudly, so everyone could hear, "This sale needs to come to an end TODAY!" (Which it did.)

Thankfully that didn't slow my guys down! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/21/13 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we are four months later and I just re-read my last post here--made the day before that magical turnaround date of June 22. I was trying to recall what the Dodgers did before that date--I know they lost the first two games of the four-game series with the Padres before they "flipped the switch", so to speak. I guess they had briefly flirted with winning a few earlier that week, though.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this time is because the World Series teams have been determined, and between the interim senior minister at UCC and our associate minister, there are fans of both teams. As you know, the associate minister knows next to nothing at all about baseball but is a Cardinals "fan" by family association. The interim senior minister is definitely a Red Sox fan, and is very excited about the upcoming series, even being as far removed as she is from Boston, on the other side of the country.

However, she still isn't as diehard a baseball follower as I am. But, it could have gotten pretty interesting if the Dodgers had indeed been able to beat the Cardinals. We would have had some smack talking in the office, for sure (all in fun, of course). Smile She and I had been discussing the possibilities back in September, about whether our two teams could both make it that far and end up facing each other. Now, only one of them has. Sad

We also have one other Cardinals fan in our congregation, and I was dreading seeing him at church yesterday. We stayed behind in the sanctuary following the service, beginning with a discussion of the recent NLCS and ending with a spirited debate about playing the game with reckless abandon and when it's appropriate to celebrate, which got more heated by the minute. Finally, we were shooed off by the second service music director as he came in to rehearse!

Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/21/13 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Smile Hope it will stretch out to 7 games and then it should be really lively in your office. Smile

I am not sure why I did not respond to your post above this, from June, because I do remember reading it back then. I thought the Elder comment was cute. Of course, our season turned around the other way about the same time yours was going in a different direction. Sad
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 11/3/13 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did things go during the World series in your office? Question
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/4/13 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that was fun! Smile I'll get back to this in awhile.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/18/14 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, how much has changed in the five months since I last posted here.

I must say, this was a very different Holy Week for me. And we will see if it really is a Good Friday for my Dodgers.

Of note is the fact that the first full day of Passover was on Tuesday, which was Jackie Robinson Day. Jackie, of course, was a teammate of Sandy, and Sandy is considered the greatest Jewish player of all time.

Unfortunately, the Dodgers bullpen was definitely "passed over" as that game stretched into the early morning hours of Wednesday!

Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/18/14 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it really is a hard time for you. Just hang in there, OK? Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/8/14 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a hard time, Cathy. Sad

But today is Pentecost Sunday, and as is my tradition, I will be wearing blue...and hoping that the Dodgers catch some of that Pentecost fire!

Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 6/10/14 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

I did Laughing at reading a draft follow-up about catcher Mike Pentecost, who was a Blue Jays pick. That would be a very timely draft. Smile Article from mlb.com
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/28/14 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just had to share this...about 20 years ago, we had an associate minister in our church who was a HUGE Jints fan. He was from the Bay Area...and he and I used to go back and forth on the Dodgers and Jints, all in good fun, of course. He was employed there from 1989-1994, so when he started, the Dodgers were defending world champions, and the Jints' famous season fiale meltdown at Dodger Stadium took place in 1993 (at which point he tried desperately to evade my merciless teasing).

Well, in '94 he was called to a church in the Atlanta area, and the next year, of course, the Braves won the World Series. He was there until the early 2000s, and left to pastor a church in Kansas City, where he still is. He was at all of the games in Kauffman Stadium this summer when the Royals swept the Jints. And, I've been jabbing him here and there on his Facebook page throughout the season as our teams fought tooth and nail.

Once the Dodgers were eliminated and the Jints caught fire, I kept quiet for awhile while reading comments from his congregation members about how well the Royals were doing. A few weeks back, he posted something about the upcoming stewardship campaign and in that thread, someone asked who he would root for if the Jints and Royals met in the World Series. Another below added, "Be careful how you answer that one." I had to LOL! Laughing Not in the middle of a stewardship campaign. Smile

Well, he never did answer, but his wife is wearing a Royals jersey, and he a Jints jersey, in their current FB pic.

And now it's down to Game 7.

Wonder how many of them would have guessed this? Surprised

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 10/30/14 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Good story, Linda. I wonder what his sermon will be like on Sunday. Wink What is his page looking like now?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 11/1/14 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's trying not to gloat too hard, LOL. Smile

I should add that this minister is a close friend of our former senior minister whom I mentioned earlier in this thread, the huge Dodger fan, who retired two years ago.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 11/16/14 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no... Mad

Our friend the Jints fan pastor happily shared on his FB page that today's blog entry by a minister in Troy, MI included the following passage:

Quote:
I was just reading about how preachers in the Social Gospel Movement pointed to baseball as a good analogy of what Christian community should look like. In baseball, teams will be successful when every part is working together toward a common goal. You can have the best player in the league and still not win. You need a full team that includes a quality bench and a steady bullpen. If you watched the most recent World Series, you might remember that the Giants may not have had the best players in the league, but when crunch time came they played as a unit and prevailed. Yes, Bumgarner and Panda played key roles in winning the series but where would they be without the contributions of Jeremy Affeldt, Juan Perez, and Joe Panik.

Isn't there something wrong with referencing hell in the same sentence as doing the right thing in the community? Evil or Very Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 11/17/14 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/19/15 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first posts in this thread of 2015, isn't it interesting how two events on the Christian calendar have coincided with baseball?

Epiphany = Hall of Fame announcement
Ash Wednesday = pitchers and catchers report

Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/3/15 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here it is Viernes Santa, and the Angels will be playing, and Semana Santa/"Holy Week" in Major League Baseball begins this Sunday, which not coincidentally, is Easter--a day of rebirth and resurrection! And I will be seated in my favorite pew at the Cathedral, Our Lady of Chavez Ravine, the following day!

Alleluia and play ball! Can I get an Amen?

To commemorate the holiday, here are a couple of appropriately-named players:

...and (because I don't want Jesus in a Jints uni! Mad ...

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 4/3/15 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 4/3/15 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen! A great post! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/5/15 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Easter and Happy OD Eve!

I just realized that with the two openers this week, I'll have attended six season/home openers at various levels of the game, beginning in February--Dodgers, Padres, Aztecs, Toreros, Komets and Clairemont Hilltoppers LL! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/12/15 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Sunday of baseball season, and I have been approached by several Padres fans at church to tell me, "Thanks for sending Kemp our way."

Rolling Eyes *sigh*

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 4/13/15 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, well if I had been there I would have said the same! But I think I already said that in December! Very Happy
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/12/15 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our church is calling a new Senior Minister. The congregational meeting was held last week and the Search Committee presented their findings. Of all his qualifications, though, I found it hard to believe the committee had not asked him the most important question of all:

Are you a baseball fan?

(And of which team?)

He is coming from central Missouri, so it could be either Cardinals or Royals. Wink

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 6/15/15 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what qualifications would be at the top of the list if you had been on the Search Committee! Lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/15/15 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, of course! Smile But, ummm, we did have a Dodger fan for ten years, and you might remember that did not turn out so well in the end. Sad

This one is from Springfield, MO...there's a Cardinals affiliate there, but who knows.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: