Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Church of Baseball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/10/15 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've now met the candidate! Heaven help me, he is a Cardinals fan...and his wife is reportedly an even bigger fan than he is! Surprised

He was in town this past week house-hunting, and came to one of the church leadership meetings, and we talked briefly about it afterward as he had a meet-and-greet with some of the committee members.

Wouldn't you know he doesn't start his ministry here until October 4...the same week the first round of the playoffs start!

Shocked
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/11/15 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dick Enberg would say, "Oh my!" Smile You can get on him about Hack-Gate and a few other things even if they do beat you guys! Twisted Evil

You know the Cardinals will be playing here next week, right?

Baseball might be fun and a diversion but in real life, I hope he is able to get things back on track there.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 8/13/15 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great stuff here - just read back on what I missed earlier this year.

I bet those same Padres fans are no longer thanking you for Bison, right? Surprised
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/14/15 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, you're right. Smile
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/19/15 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the last post here, I had to chuckle a bit, thinking about the great surge Bison had toward the end of the season. He did finish with very respectable numbers!

Anyway, getting back to the Church of Baseball:

Our new minister preached for the first time on Sunday, October 4. It was the last day of the regular season. We talked briefly afterward about the upcoming playoff match-ups and who might take the wild card. One of our Elders, whom I don't think I've mentioned here before, is a big Pirates fan. So he was quite excited about the wild card game to be played a few days later. My thoughts, you might recall, were that the Dodgers and Cardinals would both advance from their NLDS rounds and face each other just as the pastor was settling in, and we would have some good-natured ribbing about that. As it turned out, it was not to be. It could have been a blessing in disguise--perhaps we didn't need that tension "right off the bat" Laughing

But prior to the reverend's arrival, a new member joined the congregation in late August. It just so happened that this coincided with an auction of collectible items that was taking place around that time. When a small box of Brooklyn Dodger souvenir items was put up for bid, of course I was one of the first to jump in. But I was constantly outbid by this new member, about whom I knew very little, but who seemed to want it badly. I'm certainly in no position to spend a lot of money right now, but I did have to approach her afterward to ask about her interest after she picked up the goods (which included a Brooklyn Dodgers Tshirt, cap, and baseball). I had already assumed (correctly) that they were donated by our elderly Brooklyn Dodger fan I've mentioned before. The new member explained to me that both of her late parents were born in Brooklyn and were huge Dodger fans, something they had passed on to her. (I'm not sure of her age, but per my judgment, it appears to be close to mine.) I smiled and introduced myself as one of the most diehard Dodger fans ever, to which she immediately proclaimed loudly in response, "I should make it clear, I am not an L.A. Dodger fan! Only Brooklyn!"

O...kay...I thought to myself, remembering how I've had similar conversations with others over the years. I nodded and told her that I'm a fan of the franchise, both Brooklyn and Los Angeles, smiled, and said I was glad to see the items going to a deserving bidder.

Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 11/28/15 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 10/20/15 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love your stories here, Lol Smile It was too bad you were not able to get the items for your collection, though.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 2/11/16 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I almost forgot to bump this one up for Ash Wednesday.

Trinity bats. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 2/12/16 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 2/11/16 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be Lent but it is the time of year to "take on" baseball instead of giving something up!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 2/12/16 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up ="sacrifice." I have probably said that in this thread somewhere before, but it's worth repeating.

See, baseball is always in the equation! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 3/28/16 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/29/16 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

The Dodgers had a cute Easter greeting that I'll post later when I'm home.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/15/16 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is Pentecost Sunday...and as such, it's time for wearing blue to church. Not like I don't every Sunday, LOL! Smile

But, even better, I thought I would share the story about my recent photo shoot. Our church is in the process of creating a new pictorial directory, and the preparation tips I received from the photographer after signing up included some general suggestions. It's been awhile since I've had a professional photo taken, but what jumped out at me was a mention about bringing any "props that express your personality." Woooohooo, did the Idea go off then!

So yes, I showed up with a baseball bat, and my photo will appear in the directory as if a baseball card.

People will comment, for sure...but, they know me. Smile

I will post a scan once I receive the hard copy.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 5/31/16 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/29/16 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, with last Sunday being Trinity Sunday, I can't help but be reminded of baseball...

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Tue 5/31/16 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 5/30/16 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Well I cannot wait to see the picture, I bet you will get a lot of comments!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 6/17/16 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Wink Laughing Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 6/17/16 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go...might make it a profile pic. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/1/17 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought it was worth sharing that in our church service a couple of weeks ago, while issuing an invitation at the Communion table, our minister mentioned that all are welcome to partake, and "all are welcome at this table...so pull up a chair..." And you can only imagine what that reminded me of, LOL. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/3/17 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that story. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/1/17 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more Ash Wednesday has arrived.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 4/14/17 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks, and it was a Good Friday indeed! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 6/6/17 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday was Pentecost - so do I even have to ask if you wore blue to church, Lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 6/6/17 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now, of course. Is the Pope Catholic? Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/31/17 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Saturday night's Dodgers win in Houston, I have to say I was surprised at some of the high fives I received, even from Padres fans, at church on Sunday!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Fri 11/3/17 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will they treat you this Sunday, though. You should wear all black like you did before.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 11/5/17 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I did!

But one thing I couldn't believe was someone actually came up behind me at church today and asked "who won" the World Series.

First, she was serious, and second, she tapped me on the shoulder during Communion when I was trying to meditate. I glared, but told her after the service the Dodgers didn't win. She actually asked me who they were playing!

It was not a good question to ask me, nor was it the right time.
Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 11/6/17 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh! People should be more respectful. And maybe even check some news sites over a few days time!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 2/14/18 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it is Ash Wednesday...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/14/18 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can make a "sacrifice" - Lol.

So many things going on this week of a "religious" nature, like a strange merger of penitence and merriment on the calendar. And romance of course. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 4/1/18 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Easter! The Easter Bunny gave me a Dodgers rally towel! (LOL...actually, a friend at church did) Very Happy

I was sitting there quietly before the service began, meditating and minding my own business, when all of a sudden the person behind me tentatively tapped me on the shoulder. When I looked up, she handed me a "Let's Go Dodgers" rally towel from last year's World Series. Her son had gotten extra towels from a different game than the one I attended, so it was of a different design.

Easter is certainly spiritual, but it's hard to deny the soulfulness of baseball.

Rally time!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 5/20/18 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in keeping with tradition, I am once again wearing blue for Pentecost Sunday. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: