Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reliquary Notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/13/11 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reliquary Notes Reply with quote

I was kind of holding off on posting this, but I'll go ahead and do it now, since this event took place a month ago.

The Baseball Reliquary "Shrine of the Eternals" awards took place on July 17, and L.A. Times columnist Chris Erskine took home the Hilda Chester award. Ted Giannoulas, Pete Gray, and Maury Wills were inducted into the Shrine. It was the perfect ending to the week of the SABR Convention in Long Beach. And guess who's come a long way since the early KGB days!

And now, through September 29, the exhibit Not Exactly Cooperstown will show in Burbank. I plan to get up there before the end of next month! There's a documentary being made about it which will be released next year.

I need to renew my membership, as it lapsed while I was undergoing surgery!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 10/22/12 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 8/14/11 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad Ted made it in. Smile Congratulations.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/16/11 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are definitely going up to see it. I would suggest we all go but that would be almost impossible getting our schedules together like that. Surprised Congratulations to Ted and Maury. I enjoyed watching the clips of them. I don't know about Chris getting the Hilda award, though. lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/11 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice read about the Shrine of the Eternals--albeit a bit lengthy--from Hardball Times.

A few excerpts:

Quote:
A standing ovation greeted Maury Wills when he arrived at the podium, after a graceful introduction by Fred Claire, the former Dodger General Manager who is the epitome of what that organization used to be.

...The drive that permitted Wills to make use of a limited set of skills in a way that propelled him to prominence and aided the Los Angeles Dodgers to four World Series appearances in the eight years between 1959-1966 was evident in his dynamic conversation with the audience.

(And it was a conversation—Wills would occasionally ask us to supply him with the right word or phrase to fashion his thoughts as precisely as possible—and he would grin with approval when he reapplied the suggestion into his remarks.)

The title of his talk, echoing Claire’s introduction, could have been "Maury Wills Himself Into a Major League Ballplayer." He dug deep, into his childhood, remembering a mostly-forgotten ballplayer named Jerry Priddy (whose career was chronicled notably by Bill James in The Politics of Glory).

...Wills remained determined after more than eight years in the minors, transforming himself with the assistance of a man (Bobby Bragan) who ten years earlier had refused to play on the same field with a black man.

"That’s God’s work," Wills said. "We can all change, we can all make more out of what we are."

Such words seem too simple to be true, too naïve, but they are the hallmark of those who simply stop talking and get to work on being more like God—whoever or whatever that being, or principle, or passage of engagement might be.

And Wills captured the essence of the Reliquary’s idea—placing faith in the power of those who overcome all obstacles, of looking for ways to improve both oneself and the world around them.

These values are not obsolete, they have not calcified into a zero-sum culture—they are alive and well deep in the hearts of ordinary people who still strive to be extraordinary.

And LOL at this:

Quote:
Second, there was the complicating scenario of a major Los Angeles freeway closure that had been scheduled for the same weekend as the Reliquary event. With "Carmaggedon" looming, would anyone be able to show up for the ceremony?

Go to your illustrated dictionary and look up the word "unflappable." Next to the definition, you will see a picture of Terry Cannon, the Reliquary’s Executive Director. A past master at analyzing and dissecting hype, Terry has not only invented his own incarnation of it (how else could an organization with no permanent home outside of a post office box be so influential?), but he knows the difference between what he likes to term "real hype" and "phony hype."

"We’ll be fine," he said.

And so it was. "Carmageddon" (or whatever it was) failed to materialize, and when the doors opened to the auditorium in the Pasadena Public Library at 1:30 pm, an even longer-than-usual line of attendees had queued up.

"Phony hype," foiled again.

"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/11 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DB, great article. I'm going to try to get there for the Induction Day one of these years.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 10/22/12 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to mention back in July that Arnold Hano, 90-year old author and baseball fan--long-time Ohio resident and Indians supporter, now living in Laguna Beach--is the 2012 winner of the Hilda award. I certainly think he's a bit more deserving than Chris was last year!

The main reason I'm posting in this thread, though, is because the "upcoming documentary" I mentioned in last year's post above is finally on the streets and being shown in special screenings around the country (although, so far, it hasn't made it past the screens of the state of California). "Not Exactly Cooperstown", an independent doc, could be posted about in the Baseball Movies thread, but beyond that, it's part of the "big picture" of the BR and its fascinating collection of unique mementos pertaining to the history of baseball beyond its statistics.

Its first showing was in August in Pasadena. Filmmaker Jon Leonoudakis--a Jints fan, no less!--was on hand for the showing at the S.D. Public Library yesterday, the fourth screening in what will eventually go nationwide. As the film notes read, " 'Not Exactly Cooperstown' is produced and directed by Jon Leonoudakis for non-profit/educational purposes."

Leonoudakis, who grew up in the Bay Area but now resides in L.A., props the BR big-time because of its love of the humanity of baseball. There are so many great stories about baseball beyond the numbers and so many interesting characters. Many of them I've posted about in this forum. After some good-natured ribbing of me for being a Dodger fan--and I believe the token Dodger fan present (in a room of mostly Padres fans, with a sprinkling of Jints and Angels fans, and a few transplanted Phillies, Yankees and Red Sox fans)--there were a few questions from the audience and some interesting responses on his part.

For one thing, he's objective. He's a Jints fan, but he admitted envy of the Dodgers throughout his childhood. He relies more on truth than nostalgia, and acknowledges that Walter O'Malley has been wrongly assailed for over 50 years now for something that wasn't his fault--he did all he could to keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn. Leonoudakis admits the Dodgers-Jints rivalry suffered with the three-ring circus known as the McCourt divorce and bankruptcy filing, and with the Dodgers now ready to move forward--but the Jints on the cusp of this year's World Series--there is much for both teams to look forward to in coming years. He blames East Coast bias for the bitterness felt by Brooklynites and their hatred of anything having to do with the L.A. Dodgers.

By the time the showing and Q&A session had ended, Leonoudakis and his Jints fan brethren had to rush off with about half an hour to get in front of the TV before the first pitch of Game 6 of the NLCS. I did not wish them well. Exclamation But I thanked Jon for his delightful documentary and discussion afterward. It was thoroughly entertaining, worthy of its stature, and celebrates America's pastime well.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 10/22/12 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could have been there! I am looking forward to seeing it for myself. Also, I had heard it is not so complimentary of Tommy Lasorda in some ways - although in other ways, it was. So did the Dodgers disassociate because of that?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 10/23/12 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I know, there were mixed reactions. I'll post a bit more in detail about that later.

You'll really enjoy it, Cathy. So would GilHodgesFan--I have no idea where she has been lately.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 1/20/13 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for this thread because I wanted to post something about the DVD. I was going to order it for a Christmas gift and so I went to their website: notexactlycooperstown.com. When I clicked to "order the DVD" was I ever surprised. There is a downloadable form to fill out BUT you still have to mail it in with a check! I wonder how many more they would sell if you could just order it on line with no snail mail involved!

This is the background on it, from the site.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 1/20/13 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Yes, I noticed that too. I declined to go to all that trouble as I just wanted to order via credit card on-line and there was no such option. Someday I'll go to another showing and it'll probably be available there at less than it costs now.

I was just perusing the site since I hadn't checked it out in awhile and, checking out the premiere from last summer, I ran across this pic and caption which cracked me up:

I can't think of a more legitimate reason for booing. Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/27/14 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baseball Reliquary Shrine of the Eternals Induction Day was held in Pasadena last weekend, and guess who one of the inductees was? Rachel Robinson, the widow of Jackie. What a beautiful tribute to her from the above-linked article:

Quote:
(Robinson) is arguably the most important woman in baseball history, as the widow of baseball and civil rights pioneer Jackie Robinson. Rachel met Jackie while they were students at UCLA and they were married in 1946, the year before Jackie broke major league baseball’s color barrier and changed America forever. Rachel counseled, consoled, and supported Jackie throughout his career, giving him strength when his will faltered, and she endured with him countless affronts to their dignity. Jackie often attested, without his wife, he could never have withstood the intense pressures of being the first African-American in the major leagues. Once described by Dodger baseball executive Branch Rickey as Jackie’s “tower to lean on,” Rachel kept her husband’s legacy alive after his premature death in 1972 by founding the New York-based Jackie Robinson Foundation, a nonprofit with the mandate of providing college scholarships and leadership training to promising and talented young people. “As a nurse [Robinson] has devoted her life to caring for others,” writes Albert Kilchesty, the Baseball Reliquary’s Archivist and Historian. “She has been honored and celebrated in and out of baseball, and has always been gracious when being acknowledged for her husband’s courage and determination. But she is more than deserving of applause and recognition on her own merits. I have never met her. I have never spoken to her. Yet I have more admiration and respect for her than nearly any other woman in public life. She has never played the game – she is the game.”

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 7/28/14 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting. Something very nice to read about, but it seems too bad Rachel could not be there herself. Agree she is very deserving.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/2/15 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new pride of the Baseball Reliquary: the Institute for Baseball Studies, which opened in Whittier, CA last week. A formal opening will take place later this year.

From the above-linked article:

Quote:
The Baseball Reliquary is a nonprofit, educational organization dedicated to fostering an appreciation of American art and culture through the prism of baseball history and to exploring the national pastime’s unparalleled creative possibilities. The Reliquary’s research collection will form the centerpiece of the Institute for Baseball Studies, which has been established to foster an intellectual community for creating and supporting interdisciplinary research and studies related to the cultural significance of baseball in American history.

Cathy, are you up for a visit?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Mon 2/2/15 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet I am! Even though it is not a temporary exhibit I will not miss it like I did with the Reagan Library baseball collection.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/10/15 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never let it be said that I'm getting too far behind on posting, because this happened three weeks ago--the Shrine of the Eternals induction ceremony, of course, at the Pasadena Library.

I was particularly encouraged that former Dodger Glenn Burke is now enshrined.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 8/11/15 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had read about it back then. I know it's usually held the week before the Hall of fame induction. I always enjoy following up on it and like you, Linda I hope to get there someday. Actually I wish they would do something like this during the offseason instead when it is not quite so busy!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 7/31/16 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the Induction from a couple of weeks ago, coming.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/15/17 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I travel to Norcal in the morning two of my favorites will be inducted into the Shrine of the Eternals tomorrow--the incomparable Vin Scully, and Charlie Brown. Both were "rookies" in 1950, and both bring back fond memories of growing up in the '60s and '70s for me.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 7/22/17 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else see the induction?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 7/23/17 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the news about the BR. I have always enjoyed reading it even though I have never been to an Induction Day.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 7/25/17 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DB.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/20/18 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of embarrassed that it's taken me this long, but while preparing for my trip last month I didn't post about this year's Shrine of the Eternals induction on July 22.

Tommy John (yes, the Tommy John!), the late New York Mets player Rusty Staub, and former White Sox organist Nancy Faust were the inductees.

The keynote address was delivered by Dan Epstein; the 2018 Hilda Award was presented to Bart Wilhelm, and the 2018 Tony Salin Memorial Award to Ross Altman. Also, the BR website noted that "former Shrine of the Eternals inductee Ted Giannoulas (aka the San Diego Chicken) will make a special appearance." Another Hoover legend honored! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 8/22/18 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been cool to see Ted again! Smile

I would think Tommy John should have been in already. I was already surprised he was not.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/18/19 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I was on vacation during Shrine of the Eternals Induction Day on July 14, I'm a few weeks late on posting about it--but, here's the recap

Congratulations to Billy Beane, J.R. Richard and Lisa Fernandez, who were inducted in the Class of 2019. As usual, the ceremonies took place in Pasadena at the home of the BR.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/12/23 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comprehend that it's been three years since this thread was posted in, but the BR is still going strong after COVID, and getting back into the swing of things.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: