Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Presidents and Baseball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/20/12 10:22 pm    Post subject: Presidents and Baseball Reply with quote

On Presidents Day, some historical background.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 2/20/12 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Linda.
Would have loved to see Washington play. Glad I got to see Obama!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise! Nice to hear from you again, Stlred! I will be talking to you in the next couple of days. Very Happy
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been interesting to see Abraham Lincoln out playing baseball with his sons and their friends. Too bad there weren't any photos of it but by the time one had to stay perfectly still for Matthew Brady to take a photo the game would have been over Laughing
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will be talking to you in the next couple of days.

YAY, hope I have something good to tell you! Wink

At Gil, I never thought about how long it would take to take the picture! Laughing
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Senators and baseball - they even had a team named for them. Lol

Sorry if this does not belong here but I could not help but post it when I read it today.

Here is the story

On this day in 1969 Ted Williams became manager of the Washington Senators. That year he led them to their first winning record as an expansion team. He was voted American League Manager of the Year. I like that Wikipedia adds a note, "This was the only award that Ted Williams had ever won, but Joe DiMaggio had not." Lol

I always have a special place in my heart for my personal memories of 1969. I've always told my sons you can read about it and try to re-create that time, but it means more if you lived through it. Of course their excuse is they were not born yet Wink but it really was a good memory for me even if my Padres were so terrible. I was just talking to my husband a couple of days ago about that season, and with it being Presidents Day yesterday and Senators Day today (OK I just made that one up) we were remembering Richard Nixon's first year in the White House. Gosh it's hard to think back that far sometimes. It was a very different era in baseball and in politics.
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good story Forloveofthegame. I guess that is why I love the golden era of baseball even though I wasn't born yet for most of it. It was a totally different era in baseball that we will never see again.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/21/12 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh Cathy, that was a good tie-in with the Senators...very clever! Wink

Our own Ted Williams, forever a source of pride.
Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/18/13 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would bump this one up for the holiday. Great baseball weekend just concluded; will post about that in awhile.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/13 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found this one! I had forgotten all about it.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/18/14 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would bump it again, Cathy. Smile

Yesterday, MLB.com interviewed all presidents of MLB clubs about the upcoming season.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/18/14 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, happy belated Presidents Day. I hope things went OK for you today, too.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/16/15 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Presidents Day! Smile

Perhaps it pales in comparison to Valentine's Day since no games were scheduled today. Surprised

Dodgers President Stan Kasten delivered his annual State of the Franchise address today. Much was said about the fans' support, but nothing about the SportsNet fiasco. From the above-linked article:

Quote:
"As is the case each season, the Dodgers are focused on three primary areas: scouting and player development, enhancing the fan experience at Dodger Stadium, and community outreach."

Still playing hardball, I see...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/18/15 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how every holiday has a link to baseball, Lol. Even in the offseason!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/15/16 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another year, another Presidents Day! Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/20/17 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Presidents Day!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 2/22/17 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did watch some baseball on Presidents Day - a winter league tournament going on while you were working!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/19/18 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Presidents Day, 2018!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/20/18 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read back on the posts in previous years and what was being said about presidents and baseball. I had a good holiday, yesterday. I got to recover from the first weekend of baseball action! Then, this week, it will be off to the Valley of the Sun.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/19 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here we are once again, a year later.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/19/19 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scanned back on this thread and saw my comments from 2012! About the Senators & baseball Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: