Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunny Moments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 7/10/12 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does show his team's faith in him and his loyalty to his team. I love team loyalty over make a million dollars a year more to leave when the player is already making millions/billions! It's like how much money does one really need when you are already making millions? To be fair to free agency, I know there can be other factors than money to make players leave like poor leadership, location, etc but in this day and age greed can also be a big factor. Just my opinion.

It is great to see players come up through a farm system and stick with their teams. Because we have a minor league A team here, the Kernels (an Angels affiliate) we see a lot of good players make to the Majors. One of them being Mike Trout. I wish we were associated with the Dodgers Laughing but it is still fun to go to games knowing you might be watching a future Major Leaguer.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/10/12 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love team loyalty over make a million dollars a year more to leave when the player is already making millions/billions! It's like how much money does one really need when you are already making millions? To be fair to free agency, I know there can be other factors than money to make players leave like poor leadership, location, etc but in this day and age greed can also be a big factor. Just my opinion.

Team loyalty counts, and you're right that age has something to do with it too. But I also get sick and tired of hearing some people whine because a player left. One example is Albert Pujols. Yes, I understand Cardinals fans and their feelings, but it is now over, and by coming to Anaheim, Albert was afforded the chance to do some things he would not have done had he stayed in St. Louis.

He was able to address the World Champions from Huntington Beach when he first arrived. He has already said how much he loves being involved with the Angels' version of VLD. He and his wife have now established his foundation in Socal, too. I also realize the age factor has something to do with it, too, though.

Quote:
It is great to see players come up through a farm system and stick with their teams. Because we have a minor league A team here, the Kernels (an Angels affiliate) we see a lot of good players make to the Majors. One of them being Mike Trout.

I am not a fan of Mike Trout at all, but for all the attention that is given player loyalty, how much loyalty is shown by the teams? Minor leaguers get traded by the parent organization all the time to address a team's needs. So I've started to rethink the entire "loyalty" issue.

When I said I'm not a fan of Trout, I meant as a person, although he is a great player--very multi-talented. He's deserving of all the attention he gets.

One other thing to GilHodgesFan:

Quote:
but it is still fun to go to games knowing you might be watching a future Major Leaguer.

What is even more fun and exciting is seeing that when you're watching high school baseball. Heck, minor leaguers have a hell of a lot more chances of becoming major leaguers. A large number of them do make it to the big leagues, so it's not unexpected. They're already playing professional baseball.

But when I think of how many high schoolers I have seen become not just major leaguers, but Hall of Famers, that makes me proud. The odds are very long that a high schooler will make it to the majors so when I see two or three from the same team end up in the majors--I get pretty excited. They aren't playing professionally with a leg up, like they are when you see them in the minors.

One thing I am envious of the Angels for compared to the Dodgers is the fact that they have always drafted from their own backyard. When they won the 2002 World Series, they did it with real homegrown players--six of their starting players grew up within 30 miles of Anaheim. Now that is a true "home team."
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jpochard

PostPosted: Tue 7/10/12 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one benefit of having a smaller market team is that we can't just to out and buy a superstar. We have to develop them and then if we're really lucky, get to keep them. Smile Not that the huge contract Votto got is anything to sneeze at!. Funny though, I just don't see a team like the Reds going out and finding someone "else's" star and brining them in for that kind of money. More willing to pay it out, I think, to someone the Reds know well. Not that they are above trading to get needed elements - i.e. Latos for some great prospects - but it really all boils down to player development.

I remember when Griffey Jr. was brough into town as our "savior" and how that worked out lol. I had totally mixed feelings about the guy. I felt sorry for the burden that was placed on him - and have no doubt that the expectations were incredibly tough to live up to. But I also never really felt like he truely appreciated playing for the fans. Who really knows? But that's my perception. I was really glad to see both Griffey and Dunn leave this team.

It would be very difficult in today's sports environment for a player to be loyal to a team I would think. With millions of fans questioning your every intent, knowing you can be traded around - how quickly everyone else can turn on you! That type of environment does show pretty quickly how mature some of these players are and how they can handle big expectations and big money.

I really was THRILLED when Votto was signed, but ask me again in about 5 years. lol
GilHodgesFan

PostPosted: Tue 7/10/12 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as I have a nephew playing high school baseball I should find it more interesting. I use to go to my high school baseball games back in the 70s.

I am tired of hearing about Pujols also. He got a lot of extra perks by the Angels to come out there. I am glad he is getting involved in charitable organizations like he was in St Louis but is he really worth all the money the Angels paid for him?

The reasons you state to enjoy high school baseball are what my brother (Charlie's father) feels about minor league games. He enjoys them way more than major league games because the players are trying so hard to make it to the majors. He doesn't go to a lot of Charlie's high school baseball games because he feels he is too critical of Charlie. He feels like everyone notices if Charlie makes a mistake. I told him of course he is going to notice little things because Charlie is his kid but the little things he sees are not going to be noticed by the average on-looker.

Charlie's mother goes to all the games and reports back to my brother if something exciting happens but he says her lack of baseball terms makes her reporting somewhat misleading. She'll call him to report Charlie had a hit so George is thinking "great Smile ". He will ask her if the hit was a single or double and she tells him he hit it to a player in the outfield Laughing We all kid her about it but I know there is alot I don't know about baseball so I don't give her too hard a time Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 7/10/12 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, but only time will tell if he is "worth it." He's only halfway through his first season.

Quote:
That's one benefit of having a smaller market team is that we can't just to out and buy a superstar.

It's not just smaller market teams, though. LA is the second largest market in the nation, but from their payroll you'd never know it. It's middle of the pack, 14th largest, not at all reflecting the fact that they are the largest drawing team in major league history (more so than the Yankees, even). You would think the fans would be rewarded more, but we'll see if the new ownership group follows through on the promises to increase payroll.

When the Dodgers put out their "regular" lineup (which they haven't done much this year with all the injuries), most of the players did come up through the Dodgers' system. Juan Uribe is one of the exceptions to that rule, and he sure wasn't worth pursuing. In recent weeks, we've had starting lineups which featured seven of eight position players who came up through the Dodgers' system.

Quote:
With millions of fans questioning your every intent, knowing you can be traded around - how quickly everyone else can turn on you!

Very true!
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 7/11/12 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to post some pictures here, myself - I will try to look for some.

I have enjoyed the rest of you ladies sharing with others, though. Very Happy
jpochard

PostPosted: Sat 7/14/12 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookie what I got back in the mail today. A few weeks ago I mailed out photos of players I have taken, hoping to get them returned autographed. I'm 3 for 4 now (got returned Cueto, Chapman, and now Votto) waiting still on my Josh Hamilton one to get returned. This is actually a really nice photo - but this link makes it look kinda blurry for some reason. It's not - it will get a place of honor in my Joey Votto corner.

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 10/4/12 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday to my surfer boy who was born in Simi Valley on this day in 1982, which means he turns 30 today!

And for a fun flashback, here's one of him in 2003 when he was almost 21.

Playing for the Dirtbags back then.

I know Cathy likes this... Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 10/5/12 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot, hot, hot! I know I had posted it on all the other boards I visit, yesterday, but happy 30th birthday! A fun flashback.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 10/31/12 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may have seen enough of this hottie during the month of October but I will post his pic ONLY as a UCLA Bruin. Never as a Jint!

Or maybe this one because you don't see any team affiliation, LOL:

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Wed 10/31/12 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now mmm-mmm, that is nice! Thank you for the post.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 11/5/12 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my second post in this thread over the past week...guess I should have said it yesterday, but this is for the Greek God! #45!

Besides, one good Bruin deserves another, and that's what I posted last week.

While I am at it, in honor of tomorrow's elections, the best-ever write-in candidate:

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 11/9/12 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 11/6/12 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to find some and post them! You shouldn't be doing all the fun work here, Lol.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 11/9/12 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you haven't yet, Cathy, I'm continuing...going old school on you again. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Fri 11/9/12 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Fri 11/9/12 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! It must be that Hall of fame feeling, huh. Lol
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 3/7/14 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it had to be done.

One year-plus with no posts in this thread? What's the world coming to? Question

Ahhhhhhh...thank you, Jon SooHoo! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 3/9/14 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have known! I will have to find something so you are not the only participant. Smile
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 4/3/14 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our reliever Donn Roach! You may remember him from college ball at Arizona. He is another young one, but a cutie!

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/7/14 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice, but I just thought of something over the weekend that had me LOLing--let's not see any Corky's Pest Control ads in the bullpen, right? Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 4/8/14 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, good one! Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 3/25/15 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been nearly a year since this thread was bumped, so let's do it for a good reason--we have missed you, BZ! How nice it's been to see you in uniform again the last few weeks! Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 3/26/15 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my my! That is very nice. Very Happy I have not looked at this thread in awhile but if it has not been bumped in a year, we should be posting in it more!
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 3/31/15 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the countdown number is at six (already noted in another thread!) Smile here's another view of No. 6, just right for viewing.

From Baseball Digest, 40 years ago, the defending NL MVP.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/31/15 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a commercial break from a tense moment in tonight's Dodgers-Jints game, here's tomorrow night's starting pitcher:

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 1/3/17 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does everyone know we have not had this thread posted in for over a year? How did we allow that to happen! On a chilly day like today I'm looking for something to warm me up! Who has anything good to post? I can't believe we went through the whole 2016 season with nothing new.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 1/3/17 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, what have I been thinking to put this out of my mind? LOL

Not only has it been a year, but the last posted pic was of someone who has since become less bunny-worthy over that time!

However, I do know that I was certainly thinking about posting in this thread late in the summer when a certain Dodgers call-up made his presence known!

That was soon-to-be-daddy Rob Segedin, whom I sure enjoyed watching in more ways than one!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Thu 1/5/17 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my. That is a good one.

That does make me wonder why we have not had more of a certain Torero who has done a lot in his first 2 major league seasons!

dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 1/6/17 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's mighty sweet. Thank you! Smile I'll find more.

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 2/4/17 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 1/19/17 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them coming, ladies! We have had a couple of champurrado nights lately and I think these men would go along well with those! Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 2/26/18 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Caught looking! Smile

One more winter evening on the cooler side, I'm challenged to find something worthy of this thread.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: