Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ambassador for Inclusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/9/14 2:45 pm    Post subject: Ambassador for Inclusion Reply with quote

I was happy to see Billy Bean with a role in MLB's efforts to be more inclusive of the LGBT community.

Billy has even written an article on MLB.com, which can be read here.

There's some interesting background contained in it, as Billy shares his story, but I wasn't aware of Brad Ausmus being interviewed by Diane Sawyer. (Where was I, living on another planet?)

Reading this makes me respect Brad, Trevor, the Seidlers, and many within the Dodgers and Padres organizations. And all of this took place only over the last two decades.

Baseball has come a long way over the years.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sat 8/9/14 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading that. Nice to know that about Brad Ausmus, too. Billy is a good guy and just right for this job.
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Tue 2/10/15 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Billy Bean story (new documentary) will be shown on MLB network starting tonight.

Here are Billy's comments about it from mlb.com.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 2/14/15 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this yet, Cathy?
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 2/15/15 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was out that evening, but saw it was on the menu several other times. So I will check again. A co worker of mine saw it and said it was good.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 3/5/15 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we knew there would be issues with the role Billy plays in baseball, I thought this story about him participating at the Mets' training camp illustrates how disagreements can be civil.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
forloveofthegame

PostPosted: Sun 3/8/15 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy seemed pretty respectful - that was a thoughtfully written article about differences and how treating them with respect will go a long way.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 5/19/15 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Times really have changed.

As a promotional event, the Old Timers Game is one of my favorites, and I will update the promotional thread about Saturday's event, but...meanwhile, I read this column on dodgers.com from Billy Bean's perspective, and decided it was worthy of inclusion here. Although surrounded by royalty at Dodger Stadium on Saturday, Bean is about the furthest from a Dodger "legend" you can imagine.

And yet, he's a groundbreaker after the fact. It's encouraging to me to read that he is accepted now, while, 20 years ago when he was actually on the active roster, he most likely would not have been. That's progress. There are probably only a handful of cities in which he would be accepted at this point, but that's a start. Two decades ago, that number would have been zero.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/21/20 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after the brouhaha with Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman, I decided to move the discussion (should there be any) over to this thread about MLB's efforts over the last several years to reach out to the LGBT community. Commentary from Baseball Prospectus is included here.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/22/20 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball has still made a lot of progress when teams and players are quick to stand with the LGBT community. You wouldn't have seen that years ago.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/28/20 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a quick end to that chapter, Thom Brennaman has resigned from his job as play-by-play broadcaster for the Reds.

And it appears this story has an uplifting ending, per his official statement:

Quote:
I am grateful for the forgiveness so many have extended to me, especially those in the LGBTQ community who I have met, spoken with and listened to almost daily over the last five weeks. With their continued guidance, I hope to be a voice for positive change.

With education and understanding, reconciliation can be reached, and that's a good sign.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Tue 9/29/20 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can take a lesson away from it that's something good out of a bad situation.
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Thu 10/15/20 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really positive - Major League Baseball is getting involved in Spirit Day events and our Dodgers are a part of the outreach. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: